Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Cracked rear head pipe (stock)  (Read 9065 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Cracked rear head pipe (stock)
« on: May 28, 2005, 06:14:18 PM »

Looks like Rineharts aren't the only ones.  Bike has 8,628 miles, currently.  The flash washed it out some, so it doesn't look as bad in the photo as it does in person.  Have a 120 mile ride to the flat-track races in Springfield tomorrow and the IL State HOG Rally next weekend.  Plan to ride it as-is through those two events and then get this and the bad chrome replaced all at the same time.  Hope I can get by with the pipe for a few hundred more miles. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  POS! [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 11:28:21 PM by 103tHunDer »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Cracked rear head pipe
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 06:33:43 PM »

Too bad about the pipe, I hope it lasts throught your planned rides! I had my HD pipe crack in about the same place on my Roadking [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 10:54:21 PM »

What brand pipes Brian

Otis
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 11:02:40 PM »

Stock head pipe, Randy.  I decided against riding it on Sunday after holding my fingertips near the crack and feeling how much exhaust was escaping.  It's just a hairline crack, but I was shocked at just how much hot air was blowing out of it, yet you could not hear a thing.  Who knows how long it's been that way, but now that I know it's there, I don't want to ride it that way.  I rode it 20 miles to the dealer tonight for them to work on between now and Thursday evening.  They were kind enough to get it in on short notice for me so I can get it fixed before the IL HOG Rally this weekend.

What is the opinion on whether or not this could've done any damage to the motor?  My thought is probably not, but I suppose this would've caused the rear cylinder to run lean, at least to some extent.

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 11:34:36 PM »

That is waranty right , if not i have one you can have. If in a hurry that can be migged
with out a problem.

Otis
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 11:41:17 PM »

Yep, warranty, but thanks for the offer.  Gotta love the new 2-year warranty on '04s and up.  My alternative for getting it fixed this week was to weld it.  Luckily, I was able to get squeezed in this week for a new one.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 01:04:36 AM »

Stock head pipe, Randy.  I decided against riding it on Sunday after holding my fingertips near the crack and feeling how much exhaust was escaping.  It's just a hairline crack, but I was shocked at just how much hot air was blowing out of it, yet you could not hear a thing.  Who knows how long it's been that way, but now that I know it's there, I don't want to ride it that way.  I rode it 20 miles to the dealer tonight for them to work on between now and Thursday evening.  They were kind enough to get it in on short notice for me so I can get it fixed before the IL HOG Rally this weekend.

What is the opinion on whether or not this could've done any damage to the motor?  My thought is probably not, but I suppose this would've caused the rear cylinder to run lean, at least to some extent.

Brian, if the crack is far enough from the exhaust port it won't cause any problems to run it that way.....according to 'Tater'.  And this is his take after checking with his engine builder.  I couldn't tell from the picture how far back the crack was, but I'm guessing it was far enough back as best I could make out.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 01:18:02 AM »

It's hard to tell exactly where the crack is from the picture Brian.  But what else you can't see is probably more telling for your question.  You can't see a lot of pipe that looks super-blue or otherwise overheated that would be indicative of the kind of problems you're worried about.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 08:16:46 AM »

I guess it is tough to see unless you know where it is.  I drew this blue line in just to the left of the crack to help show where it is.  It begins (ends?) just under the heat shield and runs to the bottom of the factor weld where the left pipe is joined.  Seems kinda close to the exhaust port to me. [smiley=nervous.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 09:53:50 AM »

Hey Brian

Did you get to keep the old pipe?
If yes, send it to Otis and let him weld it up and plug that left side pipe.
You could gain ?????? How many horsepower was that Otis?

WE LIKE CHEAP HORSEPOWER!  

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 12:20:03 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Brian,
 If the crack is far enough away from the exhaust port, that cold air could not enter, you have no problem.  I hope that is the case.  Later--HUBBARD

2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 12:26:25 PM »

I guess it is tough to see unless you know where it is.  I drew this blue line in just to the left of the crack to help show where it is.  It begins (ends?) just under the heat shield and runs to the bottom of the factor weld where the left pipe is joined.  Seems kinda close to the exhaust port to me. [smiley=nervous.gif]

Blue line helps.  The color around the pipe will be your first tell tale sign Brian.  Given what's seen there you're fine so far as other damage might be concerned.  It's like the 11th law of Thermodynamics:

If your crack is too high you should pull up your pants (or something like that).

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 02:30:47 PM »

I can't find the thread on HP gains for plugging the left pipe.  Where is it?  How much HP?  WIll my current stage 1 map with A/C and pipes do the trick?  I'm floundering here.... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 02:58:42 PM »

I can't find the thread on HP gains for plugging the left pipe.  Where is it?  How much HP?  WIll my current stage 1 map with A/C and pipes do the trick?  I'm floundering here.... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Coolbreeze,
 Electra Glide Discussion-Exhaust Mod-May 9, 2005--Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 03:48:04 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Coolbreeze,
  Electra Glide Discussion-Exhaust Mod-May 9, 2005--Later--HUBBARD

Damn, he's better than MFG  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.