Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heated grips that come on when not on?  (Read 1978 times)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Heated grips that come on when not on?
« on: May 30, 2005, 07:08:54 AM »

I got a question for you oh so wise ones -----
My heated grips stopped working after our trip to Maggie Valley. They worked great there, but when we were on our way to Myrtle Beach they did not work.  As much as I would have liked them to work on the chilly mornings - nothing.  Yesterday, however, on the way home from Rolling Thunder in DC, even though the accesory button was turned off, they got hot.  They were not supposed to work unless the accesory button was on when they did work, and now that they have stopped working strange that they came one when turned off.  Any clues?  

Harley is going to replace the left one only - as they failed within the 90 day warranty - great warranty eh?  Now that it is summer I am sure the second set will make 90 days.  
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed them when they did work.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 01:46:47 PM by Mrs._WeCVO »

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
Re: Heated grips that come one when not on?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 11:16:47 AM »

MrsWe; they didn't wire them correctly; if they ran both the red and orange wire to the accessory switch there is no way they would come on with the accessory switch off.
 My guess is that they ran the hot wire back to the fuse block as per the instructions, and only ran the ign switch wire to the accessory switch.
 I have had a set on a heritage that would not turn all the way off no matter where the temp dial was set. On that bike I put a toggle in line to the main power from the fuse block and just flipped the toggle when I wanted the grips on.
 The reason that they didn't run both the red and orange wires to the accessory switch was because to do it properly that switch needs to get fused power directly from the power lead out of the ignition switch, which can be accessed by taking out the radio. So basically they took the easy way out instead of taking time to do it properly.
 If the red and orange wires are hooked together and connected to the an accessory switch which gets its power from the ignition switch, then you have a fail safe method of cutting ALL power to the grips.
 This is really easier to do with an additional accessory switch which will fit in the blank switch space on your switch panel. Then you can leave the original accessory switch for things like heated clothing, (using a relay of course). [smiley=beerchug.gif]
MObe

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 01:38:46 AM »

I was just into the accessory jack on my 05 to intstall a J&M CB radio. I found two seperate circuits that are switched by the ignition switch. Only one of the cicuits was controlled by the acc switch. The accessory connector is a 4 pin Deutsch connector. BTW I installed heated grips on an 03 SERK. What I found was the 2pin white AMP connectors are junk. They do not have a reliable lock (imho). I wrapped tape around them just to make me feel better. Considered install on the 05 but will get the electric gloves instead. Parts guy told me HD having problems with heated grips and may discontinue them. My BMW bikes had heated grips from the factory only two settings high and low but they did work.

tmo465

• Junior CVO Member
  • 05 SE Glide,,,niceeee eeeeee
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 07:44:55 AM »

I installed the heated grips on my 05 CVO ElectraGlide and they were fine for a month or so.  Then when I went out for a ride one morning found the battery DOA.   Further investigation showed the grips to be on with the ignition off.

To make a long story short, when I pulled the left grip off, it had about an ounce of water inside.  I think the water probably shorted out the switch inside and left them in an ON condition.   If I turned the control on the grip to off,,they would turn off, however if I left the grips on heat and turned the ignition off, they would still heat.

I have read a few posts on other boards about the water problem.   I will try the grips again now that they are dried out and if the switch inside the left grip isn't fried, I'll use some silicon in an attempt to cure the water problem.

I had a set on my 02 Ultra and for three years they worked perfectly.

The next solution is to try some grip heaters that are common for snomobiles that simply drop into the grips and have a switch for on, off, high and low heat.  Supposedly for about 30 bucks or so.  

Tom

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: Heated grips that come on when not on?
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 02:31:04 PM »

Well my wonderful heated grips that have had the master unit - left grip replaced - just picked the bike up Tuesday of last week, have already stopped working.  I sure was not happy to use them in the high 90 or low 100 days we had been having, but on Sunday we headed out on what I thought was a short putt around our home on two lane roads and I did not put my coat on. Actually, my personal GPS had us heading up the highway at 7 AM and even though it was in the low 70s without my coat on, it was a tad bit chilly. But - voila - I've got these wonderful heated grips!  But alas, no heat would come out of them. Just brand new and replaced but no heat. I just called back to the parts department to ask what I can do to get a replacement since the service department of that store will no longer allow my bike there and the parts manager is going to send me a warranty certificate so I can get it replaced at another HD service store.  tmo465, thanks for the tip about water. I am extra careful not to allow water in the controls.  ;-)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Heated grips that come on when not on?
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 01:18:45 AM »

tmo465, thanks for the tip about water. I am extra careful not to allow water in the controls.  ;-)

Mrs We, I'd not seen the post you referred to about water.  You mean Harley is selling grips that can't be ridden in the rain?

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.