Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: We have Synthetic Oil, Why NOT Synthetic Gasoline?  (Read 553 times)

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
We have Synthetic Oil, Why NOT Synthetic Gasoline?
« on: June 28, 2008, 10:08:41 PM »

This is real and something each of us needs to get our senators/congressmen and future president to step up building/production.  The Germans used this technology near the end of WWII when fuel/oil was being cut off by the allies.

From the official website of the Great State of Montana....

http://governor.mt.gov/hottopics/faqsynthetic.asp

Here's the last two paragraphs from the above link...to get you thinking:

Is synthetic fuel cost effective?
Yes. The cost of making a barrel of synthetic fuel is estimated to be around $55, including the sizeable infrastructure investments and the labor force necessary to operate the plant.   At the current and projected price of oil, production should be a cost effective enterprise. Key economic incentives in the recently enacted federal Energy Bill, such as 80% loan guarantees for certain coal liquefaction projects, reduce the economic uncertainty of bringing this technology up to commercial scale.

How long will it take for America to produce enough synfuel to make a difference?
There are already a number of small plants being designed around America, but a large-scale national effort must involve the federal government and will take a number of years. Given South Africa's success in this field, we can assume that if the federal government became meaningfully invested in this concept, America could have a strong synfuel industry within the next decade.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:12:14 PM by EZRIDN »
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.