Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Supreme Court Overturns Death Penalty for Rapist?  (Read 721 times)

elvislee

Supreme Court Overturns Death Penalty for Rapist?
« on: July 06, 2008, 09:15:56 AM »

As MOST of ya'll can tell I'm not a man who transponds his words and thoughts as well as some on this site, but this is lunacy...Our children are our most important purpose in life...WOW!...I just don't understand this one :( :'(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/06/25/ST2008062501374.html

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: Supreme Court Overturns Death Penalty for Rapist?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:57:10 AM »

......WOW!...I just don't understand this one :( :'( ...

Right there with you.

outrider

• yet another reclusive recalcitrant pundit
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHP
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 11:02:19 AM »

Right there with you.
Whether you agree or disagree with capital punishment, this is clearly an instance where the Federal Courts have seen fit to legislate something that previously was viewed as a "State's rights" issue. I won't even go into the comments made by Justice Kennedy regarding World View of our legal system...The fact that world opinion is a consideration of his should tell you all you need to know about this juror.
This is yet another reason why this presidential election is so very important. Two of of our U.S. Supreme Court Justices are currently past the normal retirement age, and at least 1, but maybe 2 will be replaced by the next President. As divided as they now are along liberal/conservative) idealogical lines, the next President's nominees could swing the court in one direction for a long long time...
Let the lamp affix its beam, the only emperor is the emperor of ice cream.

gunrunner

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 flstfse
    • CVO2: 08 flhrse4
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 12:47:08 PM »

judges Stevens and Ginsberg are likely the first to go, they are also very liberal, Stevens is 88 and Ginsberg is mid seventies and in failing health. what you say is very true, if McCain is elected and he appoints even moderate judges(I don't think we could hope for anything better,considering his views and the dem majorities in congress), It will be a longlasting move right in the court. If Obama is elected hopefully little will change on the supreme court at least

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.