Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: 5 Questions to Ask Your SERT Tuner  (Read 19401 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: 5 Questions to Ask Your SERT Tuner
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 01:23:06 PM »

Better half is from Eustis...have to make a point of riding down one day to check these folks out.

If you get down this way let me know I not far from Useless  :oops: Eustis.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Sean M Cary

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »

If you get down this way let me know I not far from Useless  :oops: Eustis.

look to be down there in Oct...

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 02:47:26 PM »

I usually stay here, the website is down...I will get reservations for 10.10-10.12.

genecvo

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 03:38:00 PM »

Thanks for the information - I plan on using this in the very near future.  :2vrolijk_21:
Gene Foster

Sean M Cary

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 03:57:53 PM »

I usually stay here, the website is down...I will get reservations for 10.10-10.12.

We're looking at Shades of Green - all of the places near the convention are booked already!

Should be in Eustis the night of the 10th - day of the 11th then I have my Conference the 12-16th.  Will be working my way BACK up via Eustis and then Hog Town and then out...

Sean

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 10:05:25 PM »

Florida Marine,

Let me know if you end up with time and want to visit some of the great back roads through the forest.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ontos

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »

I wish I had read this before I had my 08 SERK dyno'd. I got the bike back last week after the dealer installed RHTD, SE A/C and SERT. It had 1012 miles on it. Bike runs worse than it did stock! Dyno guy said he couldn't adjust AFR because I have a "closed loop." Is this true? He only had the bike for about an hour and there were only 14 miles put on it. The mileage includes a test ride by the tech. Is the mileage a good indicator of how many runs he made?
I got a graph from the dyno with only two lines showing HP 90 and torque 110. No temp, no AFR, no base line. I paid $260 for the tune.

springer-

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1981 FXSS
    • CVO2: 1983 FXRT
    • Big Boyz Head Porting
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 10:19:27 AM »

I wish I had read this before I had my 08 SERK dyno'd. I got the bike back last week after the dealer installed RHTD, SE A/C and SERT. It had 1012 miles on it. Bike runs worse than it did stock! Dyno guy said he couldn't adjust AFR because I have a "closed loop." Is this true? He only had the bike for about an hour and there were only 14 miles put on it. The mileage includes a test ride by the tech. Is the mileage a good indicator of how many runs he made?
I got a graph from the dyno with only two lines showing HP 90 and torque 110. No temp, no AFR, no base line. I paid $260 for the tune.

Did you get SERT key with it?  Little black box with connectors on each end?  Is it a SERT or the new super tuner?  If it is the super tuner it will have a red button on the black box.  Was any software included?

ontos

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 10:29:39 AM »

I originally ordered the super tuner, but when I picked up the bike they told me the super tuner "wouldn't take" so they installed the SERT. They gave me credit for the price difference but didn't tell me they had done it. I noticed it on the bill when I got home. I have the CD and the dongle for the SERT. I haven't put the CD in the computer because I complained to the dealer and I didn't want to accidentally change something on the CD.

springer-

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• Big Boyz Head Porting
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 10:49:21 AM »

Ok, you don't have to worry about the CD, you can't change anything on it and you can download the software to use.  Did you get a copy of the map they "made" for you?  Also did you get any cables with the SERT?

ontos

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2008, 03:53:40 PM »

No I didn't get a copy of the map. There is a number on the work order that I think identifies the map. The paper work is at home in San Antonio and I'm in Dallas. I'll be home tonight and get the #. I didn't get the cables since I didn't think I was sharp enough to mess with it myself. This is my 6th Harley but 1st fuel injection

springer-

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• Big Boyz Head Porting
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 04:30:28 PM »

The cables don't come with it, I was just checking to see if you had them anyway.  The number on the paper work might be the cal they started with.  I'll PM you my number and maybe I can help you out with it.

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 03:54:05 AM »

Gentleman here are five questions you can ask your tuner to see what his skill level is without being conspicuous.  These are 5 simple questions that a good experienced tuner can and will be able to spit out the answers correctly and without a great deal of thought and the whole time your asking them the questions it will seem like a general conversation of you getting a little knowledge of the tuning procedures from him. If your tuner can't answer all, or any, of these questions it's time for you to search out another shop.

1) How long will my bike be on the Dyno to tune the SERT?
(answer)  4 to 5 hours

2) How many Dyno runs will you have to make to finish a tune?
(answer) 50 to 70 on a average

3) What are people talking about when they say you have to SYNCHRONIZE the VE tables?
(answer) By Synchronizing the VE Table to the Fuel Table your telling the ECM the new air flow through the motor from the mods you made.

4) I heard something about a Step Test, can you tell me what that is?
(answer) The Step Test is a program in the winPEP 7 software (Dyno Software) that allows us to sample the AFR longer for a better reading at 2%, 5%, 7%, 10%, and 15% Throttle Position. This is where the bike lives so we want a good AFR sample to make our edits.

5) Do you change the AFR Table to one value as you tune?
(answer) Yes, 13.2. This makes it easier to synchronize the VE Table.

If your tuner can answer these simple questions chances are (99%) you will get a good tune. I hope this will give you all a better idea who your trusting your $20,000.00 investment with.

Just trying to help!
Doc 

PS. If they don't answer all of the questions correctly, PLEASE give them my phone number for training - it's in my signature.

I have just ordered my first FI bike 09 CVO ultra classic, a few friends that have had upgrades done at the local harley shop who installed the Zippers closed loop unit for them, the shop didn't set it up very well so I had to play with it for them and got it working good so have a small amount of experiance with the Zippers unit but found the maps available were limited. My question is what would the best unit be to install on my new bike as there are lots of claims and opinions on this topic. I work on electronic controlled Caterpillar Diesels so not new to computer controlled Fuel injection, in the local area there is no one to rely on for advice or even a good dyno.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 07:22:21 PM »

That question is an easy one.

The TTS.. Why you say.   Steve Cole (TTS) are the ones that provided the original SERTS to Harley.   Why wouldnt you go with the guy that started it and has the most experience with it.   Besides that he has added a ton of functionality to the product that Harley wouldnt let him deliver to you the public previously.   To me that is a no brainer, and besides that if you have a look at the super tuner and spend any time with it you will be greatly disappointed by it compared to the SERT / TTS unit.

Like you said opinions are just that, but these are some hard facts that are difficult to ignore.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 08:20:28 PM »

That question is an easy one.

The TTS.. Why you say.   Steve Cole (TTS) are the ones that provided the original SERTS to Harley.   Why wouldnt you go with the guy that started it and has the most experience with it.   Besides that he has added a ton of functionality to the product that Harley wouldnt let him deliver to you the public previously.   To me that is a no brainer, and besides that if you have a look at the super tuner and spend any time with it you will be greatly disappointed by it compared to the SERT / TTS unit.

Like you said opinions are just that, but these are some hard facts that are difficult to ignore.

Unbalanced, There were some thread discussions awhile back about full throttle problems with 2008 throttle by wire versions. The problems discussed the ECM on these models were rolling the throttle back when it sensed full throttle. A few people were thinking this could be fixed with a SERT software modification. Do you know if TTS addressed this problem with their current release?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 22 queries.