Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Passenger grab rails  (Read 750 times)

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
Passenger grab rails
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:17:01 PM »

Well I purchased a nice set of grab rails with the optional chrome and black grips off of EBay.  Previously I had read they would fit the Screaming Eagle Ultra with no problems, and they did, with the exception of the mounting bolts on the bracket that goes beneath the fender.  They were about 1/2" too short.  My solution was to grind the heads off, punch the remainder of the bolts out, and then weld in new ones.  I then painted the bracket with zinc chromate.  I used some sealer to further prevent any water getting to the bolts from beneath.  Overall it turned out very good and after a little "down pressure to the handles they cleared the speaker pods by about 1/8" to 1/4".  I didn't have to adjust the tour pack or mounts.  Since there have already been pictures posted previously I didn't include any here!
Brett in AK

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Passenger grab rails
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:21:25 PM »

Harley used to include the grab rails as standard equipment. I think they stoped in 2005 models. I have about three sets floading around my garage, and im sure there are a ton elsewhere. I believe the bolts you are speaking of are flat head torx. I have a few of these floating in my collection box. Sounds like you found a fix. 

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
Re: Passenger grab rails
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 10:52:21 AM »

The bolts were actually pressed into the bracket so I don't think it would have been torx.  But everything worked out great.
Brett in AK

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.