Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First impressions of the new Springer  (Read 1876 times)

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
First impressions of the new Springer
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:10:47 AM »

As with all new models, there is good and bad. And good for some may be bad for others! Nonetheless, these are my first impressions of the new model:

Good

1. Four piston front caliper. Greater stopping power was needed, especially with the larger contact patch afforded by the wider front tire introduced in '08.

2. New frame.  A Rocker frame to accomodate the 240 rear? The chrome rear swing-arm is a nice bling! Would like to see the whole springer front end in chrome too.

Bad

1. Rear fender. The curvature of the rear fender has changed to more emulate the less upturned style of the Fat Bob. I don't like it...but style is a personal thing.

2. Colors. I like the yellow, others like the blue. Who knows? But I do think the colors of the '07 and '08 bikes were better.

3. Oil tank. Classic styling is timeless. The old "horseshoe" tank does much more for me than this new one lifted from the Rocker.

Overall, the frame geometry may make this a truly superior machine, but from a pure styling point of view, I see no overall gains. I do like that new Road Glide though!!!

Indifferent

1. Exhaust. Now seems to be true duals with no cross-over?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:53:33 AM by Air-Cooled »

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
Re: First impressions of the new Springer
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:06:28 AM »

Agreed with you mi amigo..

screamin_willy

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:13:32 AM »

I agree, the rear fender needs some work.

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 03:19:58 PM »

Yeah, the rear fender is more an offender ;D, why don't they leave good design as it is? I fully agree with you Air-Cooled, but I will even go further, the front brake is a MUST and as far as I can tell it looks prety much like any other Harley's old style (before brembo) 4 piston unit. Pity it seems to be a right hander, so my ex-Dyna 07 front brake cannot be used for the mod, because if it did I'd only have to get the arm where it fixes to.

In general there is not much news with this or for that matter any of the CVO's 2009...and in our case the new Springer looks like a mixture of Fatbob, Rocker and Springer.
As far as colors go I'm pretty much happier with the 07-08 color scheme, specially with the 105 Anniversary (you guessed right I´ve got one).

What I really love is all that BRAND NEW 110 engine.... hopefully no more leaks, badly designed heads, guides, ACR's ASO.... now I clearly see we 07-08 were the Guineapigs of the story. Just hope MOCO treats us the way we should, so we eventually get the bike we left all our savings in  :-X

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Happnin

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:04:36 AM »

Mas:

I don't see a tach on the new one. Bummer.

Wheels "spokes" are angled too. Bummer.

Happ

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 07:49:21 PM »

The wheels are fine to me, and despite the rear fender and some of the other shortcomings, there is a part of me that wants one... must be the marketing. :D

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.