Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Transmission Jackshaft Leak?  (Read 27019 times)

REGGAB

Transmission Jackshaft Leak?
« on: August 01, 2008, 07:58:12 PM »

There is no easy way to manipulate a camera to get a top angle shot of this predicament.  I took a decent picture from the bottom post wipe.  It's gray wet.  Not dripping on the floor, but is SLOWLY running down the oil pan.  Jackshaft leak?

Might be time to work on the household accountant to hurry along with the Baker 6 speed account.

REGGAB

Re: Transmission Jackshaft Leak?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »

Attempt from the top................with flashlight.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 08:24:40 PM »

Can't really tell from the photo's, but if you have what about a gazillion of us have had, it's either a shift shaft or mainshaft seal leak (or both).  I had both of mine "fixed" right before my warranty expired, and the leak came back in a few thousand miles.  If you have it fixed, get them to use something other than the junk seals H-D uses.  Others here highly recommend the Cometic seals, and that's what I intend to use when I fix mine again.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 08:31:06 PM »

Dang.....now you tell me.  I just had my leak fixed with the HD seals.  Oh well.......the 1st ones lasted me over 50K miles, so........guess I can't complain.  Went ahead and put the chrome inner primary cover on.......looks goooood! :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:  *(trying to keep up around here, ya know.)  ::) har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:36:59 PM »

Dang.....now you tell me.  I just had my leak fixed with the HD seals.  Oh well.......the 1st ones lasted me over 50K miles, so........guess I can't complain.  Went ahead and put the chrome inner primary cover on.......looks goooood! :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:  *(trying to keep up around here, ya know.)  ::) har!  spyder
Way to go. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 09:15:28 PM »

Way to go. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Yep.......did a polished SS stabilizer link replacement also.....more 'bling' trying to keep up with you guys....plan on having the Huckleberry up at Maggie V. around all youse guys/gals.......got to get into the 'game'.  :coolblue: har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:20:47 PM »

Yep.......did a polished SS stabilizer link replacement also.....more 'bling' trying to keep up with you guys....plan on having the Huckleberry up at Maggie V. around all youse guys/gals.......got to get into the 'game'.  :coolblue: har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
I hear you. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:50:56 PM »

Can't really tell from the photo's, but if you have what about a gazillion of us have had, it's either a shift shaft or mainshaft seal leak (or both).  I had both of mine "fixed" right before my warranty expired, and the leak came back in a few thousand miles.  If you have it fixed, get them to use something other than the junk seals H-D uses.  Others here highly recommend the Cometic seals, and that's what I intend to use when I fix mine again.

Jerry

Yeah I know the photos suck, but they are what they are.  The area is wet.  Have seen leaks in this area before, but the oil always blew to the rear.  This is just seeping straight down.
Definitely not a show stopper, and doesn't bother me save for the grime, so I'll just ride it until it starts making an unmanageable mess.  I've been looking for a reason to get some drivetrain work done anyway.  Thanks.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:10:03 PM »

Yeah I know the photos suck, but they are what they are.  The area is wet.  Have seen leaks in this area before, but the oil always blew to the rear.  This is just seeping straight down.
Definitely not a show stopper, and doesn't bother me save for the grime, so I'll just ride it until it starts making an unmanageable mess.  I've been looking for a reason to get some drivetrain work done anyway.  Thanks.
Sorry for your trouble brother but good to see ya here.  :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 11:30:59 PM »

You NEED that chrome inner anyways, Henry.  Every Harley needs a chrome inner...don't look right without it.   ;) :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:31:50 PM »

Is this something we all should be expecting?

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 12:28:19 AM »

There is no easy way to manipulate a camera to get a top angle shot of this predicament.  I took a decent picture from the bottom post wipe.  It's gray wet.  Not dripping on the floor, but is SLOWLY running down the oil pan.  Jackshaft leak?

Might be time to work on the household accountant to hurry along with the Baker 6 speed account.

Yea,, i see it.. and confirmend, its broken, you need the Baker 6 speed...  :2vrolijk_21:

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 12:47:16 AM »

I would say that about 70 - 80% of these leak from the shift shaft seal. Get the Cometic Double lip seal and don't look back.......

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 06:48:22 AM »

I would say that about 70 - 80% of these leak from the shift shaft seal. Get the Cometic Double lip seal and don't look back.......

Man... Victory's are looking better every day! >:(

How difficult are they to replace... is it as easy as ripping one out and replacing another, or will you have to pull the primary case or something else off?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:50:22 AM by murphy »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 06:58:48 AM »

Scott noticed mine leaking in Colorado Springs and turned me on to Mile High H. D. in Denver. They had it replaced and we were on the road in a couple of hours. Service Mgr. said they don't suddenly go catastrophic and it would of been ok to ride. Second FLH w/ this leak. Extended warranty so $50.00. Next time, if out of warranty, I'll go w/ Cometic.

REGGAB

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 09:09:52 AM »

You NEED that chrome inner anyways, Henry.  Every Harley needs a chrome inner...don't look right without it.   ;) :2vrolijk_21:

Hell no I don't either   ;D .................I don't particularly care for the look of a chrome inner on my bike.  Besides, I have enough challenges keeping things cool without adding a heat retainer like that big monster.   :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »

Is this something we all should be expecting?

I think so............Yessir.  Some form of leak in that general area is bound to happen.  Too many places for a leak or leaks to sprout.  I think grc has the right idea about replacing the failed seals with the good ones like Cometic........but I'd probably go a step further and replace ALL the seals while everything was torn down as a PM measure.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 09:26:21 AM by Thumpin' 107 »

REGGAB

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »

Yea,, i see it.. and confirmend, its broken, you need the Baker 6 speed...  :2vrolijk_21:

Thank you, Sir, for your support!  I have printed your message and offered it as further proof to the keeper of the shillings that transmission replacement is imminent, and she should plan accordingly.  Again, your support is appreciated.   ;) :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 09:17:56 AM »

That's my intent.............along with a new Baker OD6.

REGGAB

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 09:18:55 AM »

Man... Victory's are looking better every day! >:(

How difficult are they to replace... is it as easy as ripping one out and replacing another, or will you have to pull the primary case or something else off?

Entire primary must be removed.

REGGAB

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 09:22:23 AM »

Scott noticed mine leaking in Colorado Springs and turned me on to Mile High H. D. in Denver. They had it replaced and we were on the road in a couple of hours. Service Mgr. said they don't suddenly go catastrophic and it would of been ok to ride. Second FLH w/ this leak. Extended warranty so $50.00. Next time, if out of warranty, I'll go w/ Cometic.

No offense to anyone here who might feel different.......................but hell will freeze over before ANY stealership touches my machine.  Long story told here before. 
I plan to just ride it until it starts leaving puddles.  Then I'll take it to Rod's Performance and have him fix it right.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 09:27:46 AM »

Hell no I don't either   ;D .................I don't particularly care for the look of a chrome inner on my bike.  Besides, I have enough challenges keeping things cool without adding a heat retainer like that big monster.   :2vrolijk_21:
Hey Henry, do you have any info that would give support to the belief that the chrome inner cover would retain heat more than the powdercoated stock one?  I know the debate has always surfaced over which coatings did what in regards to the cooling issues.... :nixweiss:....?  :drink: spyder

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2008, 09:30:39 AM »

Hey Henry, do you have any info that would give support to the belief that the chrome inner cover would retain heat more than the powdercoated stock one?  I know the debate has always surfaced over which coatings did what in regards to the cooling issues.... :nixweiss:....?  :drink: spyder

I don't believe that for one minuete. The primary doesn't get THAT hot anyway. :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2008, 09:33:02 AM »

I'm probably one of the ones that has a lot of chrome on their bike and I've never had any problems w/it getting to hot. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2008, 09:33:45 AM »

I don't know Hoist, I could fry eggs on mine most of the time.  :smilie_koch1: :D har!  spyder

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 10:12:19 AM »

I don't know Hoist, I could fry eggs on mine most of the time.  :smilie_koch1: :D har!  spyder

News flash for a new feature on the 2010 models:

"Included now a non stick coating on top of your inner primary"

Works great for camping...............

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »

Thank you, Sir, for your support!  I have printed your message and offered it as further proof to the keeper of the shillings that transmission replacement is imminent, and she should plan accordingly.  Again, your support is appreciated.   ;) :2vrolijk_21:

I hope your keeper of the shillings is less diligent than mine.  Mine doesn't seem to think my bullchit well reasoned arguments are terribly compelling.

Jerry  ;)

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 03:28:05 PM »

toast a bagel on the way to work  :carrot: :nixweiss:

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »

toast a bagel on the way to work  :carrot: :nixweiss:

Use the oil cooler for toasting... it puts those really nice lines on the bagel!

REGGAB

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 04:45:34 PM »

I have no info, proof, documentation or any such scientific evidence whatsoever.  What I do have is access to a wealth of experienced technicians, engineers, and friends who offer their input that chrome tends to retain heat more than powdercoat.  Bullchit?  Perhaps.  But I bought into it lock, stock and barrell.  Right now, my stock inner primary works.  After all...................this ain't rocket science, you know!!!!!!!!!!   ;D  I can't see a reason to tempt fate, by adding something that in my own personal opinion looks like chit and might possibly cause a heat retention challenge.  Since I don't like a chrome inner primary anyway, I see no reason to expend the time further researching a possible heat retention challenge.  I'll just believe it.   :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 04:49:01 PM »

I hope your keeper of the shillings is less diligent than mine.  Mine doesn't seem to think my bullchit well reasoned arguments are terribly compelling.

Jerry  ;)

She's pretty tough.  I don't think this one is going to go over too easy though.  We just got back from a 109 mile jaunt for a burger.  Wetness is unremarkable.

REGGAB

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 04:54:54 PM »

I took that picture without wiping it down about 30 minutes after we got home this afternoon....................just long enough for my stock, powdercoated, non-heat retaining inner primary to cool enough for me to take a close look.   ;D

Here's our 109 mile route.  Hot as hell today.  Bike ran awesome............just awesome.  I'm not gonna worry about it too much.  As I said before, I'll keep an eye on it, and once it becomes unmanageable, I'll take it to Rod's Performance for the works.

REGGAB

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »

I don't believe that for one minuete. The primary doesn't get THAT hot anyway. :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Mine does...........I can't hold my fingers on it immediately after shutdown.  To me...........and in my own personal opinion..............that is        "THAT hot."

REGGAB

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 05:09:32 PM »

I'm probably one of the ones that has a lot of chrome on their bike and I've never had any problems w/it getting to hot. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Gary...........I don't know how long you've had that chrome inner, and it obviously isn't a challenge for you.............and that is a good thing for you, since you love chrome so much.  Proud for ya, D00d!  Rock on!  :2vrolijk_21: I, on the other hand, happen to love contrast, and am a FIRM believer that too much chrome is......in my own personal opinion........dare I say...........TACKY!  :2vrolijk_21: Besides the tackiness, I'm not gonna introduce what might be another problem for which I have neither the patience, time, or money to expend.  :2vrolijk_21:

I will, however, speculate that if you run 50 miles at 80mph in 90+ degree temps with me down US 72, pull over, drink a beer, then shoot both our primaries with an IR thermometer, mine will be cooler............which means powdercoat dissipates heat better than chrome.  Again, my own personal opinion. 

REGGAB

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 05:11:29 PM »

Alrighty Then!  Fortunately, I got all that "camping" bullchit out of my system during a 22 year stint in the Army.   ;D

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2008, 06:13:06 PM »

Gary...........I don't know how long you've had that chrome inner, and it obviously isn't a challenge for you.............and that is a good thing for you, since you love chrome so much.  Proud for ya, D00d!  Rock on!  :2vrolijk_21: I, on the other hand, happen to love contrast, and am a FIRM believer that too much chrome is......in my own personal opinion........dare I say...........TACKY!  :2vrolijk_21: Besides the tackiness, I'm not gonna introduce what might be another problem for which I have neither the patience, time, or money to expend.  :2vrolijk_21:

I will, however, speculate that if you run 50 miles at 80mph in 90+ degree temps with me down US 72, pull over, drink a beer, then shoot both our primaries with an IR thermometer, mine will be cooler............which means powdercoat dissipates heat better than chrome.  Again, my own personal opinion. 
It's all good, that's why there are so many parts available to customize these bikes not every part is for everybody. ;D In regards to checking the temp of the primary..... not really necessary..... riding and drinking beer is way more important. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2008, 06:16:57 PM »

It's all good, that's why there are so many parts available to customize these bikes not every part is for everybody. ;D In regards to checking the temp of the primary..... not really necessary..... riding and drinking beer is way more important. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I think you've found one thing about which we both agree.   :huepfenlol2:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 06:23:03 PM »

I think you've found one thing about which we both agree.   :huepfenlol2:
:bigok:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »

:bigok:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Oh yeahhhhh, where do I sign up.. :nixweiss:...they'r tops on my 'to do' list.  :drink: :helmet: har!  spyder

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 04:42:43 PM »

Jim,

Do you have the #'s for both of those seals???Thanks Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 09:50:35 PM »

Jim,

The shift shaft double lip seal is Cometic # OS041 for a single part, or C9259 for a 5 pack.  If you call or email them they will let you know what part numbers you need for a specific application.
http://www.cometic.com/contactus.aspx

Jerry

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 09:59:09 PM »

Jim,

Cometic #'s:

OS039 for the Primary Main Shaft Seal
OS043 for the Starter Drive Shaft Seal
OS041 for the Shifter Shaft Seal

Drag Specialties part number for the Cometic's are:

0935-0162 for the Primary Main Shaft Seal
0935-0163 for the Starter Drive Shaft Seal
0935-0201 for the Shifter Shaft Seal

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2008, 05:01:51 PM »

Sheiiit!  My turn for this at 21,500 miles on the SEEG.  Noticed a spot of gear lube on the floor after getting home from work on it yesterday.  Thanks for the Cometic part numbers. :-\

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2008, 05:08:19 PM »

Sheiiit!  My turn for this at 21,500 miles on the SEEG.  Noticed a spot of gear lube on the floor after getting home from work on it yesterday.  Thanks for the Cometic part numbers. :-\

Can't remember if you have the Chrome Inner, but this could/would be the time to get one. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »

Can't remember if you have the Chrome Inner, but this could/would be the time to get one. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I hear they trap a lot of heat. :P :huepfenlol2:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2008, 05:53:48 PM »

I hear they trap a lot of heat. :P :huepfenlol2:

:oops: :sneaky: :evilgrin: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2008, 05:56:51 PM »

Actually, I'm not sure how fond I am of the looks, either, to be honest. :nixweiss:  If I do go chrome, I'll do the starter, too, though.  They probably designed that beotch to leak after a certain time just to give people like me a reason to think about spending more $$$s. >:(

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2008, 06:01:40 PM »

Actually, I'm not sure how fond I am of the looks, either, to be honest. :nixweiss:  If I do go chrome, I'll do the starter, too, though.  They probably designed that beotch to leak after a certain time just to give people like me a reason to think about spending more $$$s. >:(

Oh, I forgot about that. Definitely time to do the chrome starter if you just want that. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2008, 06:16:51 PM »

Last year and the year before I had mine leak.It took them 4 times to get it right, and on the 4th time pulled the gear set and replaced the shifter "pawl" too. They would not stand behind it if I used cometic seals.  :soapbox: As of today its damp again. >:(
If I had to do it over, I would have the pawl changed with the cometic seals..... :2vrolijk_21:
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2008, 08:42:55 PM »

Last year and the year before I had mine leak.It took them 4 times to get it right, and on the 4th time pulled the gear set and replaced the shifter "pawl" too. They would not stand behind it if I used cometic seals.  :soapbox: As of today its damp again. >:(
If I had to do it over, I would have the pawl changed with the cometic seals..... :2vrolijk_21:
Yep....me too, Dave.  :oops: I can only hope for the best at this point.  ??? har!  spyder

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »

Oh, I forgot about that. Definitely time to do the chrome starter if you just want that. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Isn't this the second time now you've forgotten the chrome starter? :nixweiss: ;) ;D

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2008, 09:03:12 PM »

Isn't this the second time now you've forgotten the chrome starter? :nixweiss: ;) ;D

I thought you had one also. ::) har! spyder

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »

I thought you had one also. ::) har! spyder

Nope, not me, Spyder.  I still have the black one. :-\

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2008, 09:16:29 PM »

Nope, not me, Spyder.  I still have the black one. :-\

I was lucky enough to get to swap mine out before delivery.  Great Dealer to work with......Did you do that also, Gary? :nixweiss:  :2vrolijk_21:  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »

Yea it is, but this time I was reminded before I had some work done on my bike. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2008, 10:23:04 PM »

I was lucky enough to get to swap mine out before delivery.  Great Dealer to work with......Did you do that also, Gary? :nixweiss:  :2vrolijk_21:  spyder
If you're speaking of chrome starter, nope didn't get one at delivery. Never really thought of one before CVOHarley.com. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2008, 09:02:24 PM »

When I changed my starter and flywheel gears, I purchased Cometic C9888 inner and outer primary seal/gasket set that included all the seals/gaskets necessary for the R&R of the inner and outer primaries.  I then bought the 5 pack of the shift shaft seal..

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2008, 06:22:56 PM »

i know i am just phone support. and golden tune resulted in about the same # as my breakin tune, and rod jumped the timing to get a prettier graph, but i will sit quietly as this is ironed out.

here when ya need me henry.

REGGAB

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2008, 10:03:07 PM »

i know i am just phone support. and golden tune resulted in about the same # as my breakin tune, and rod jumped the timing to get a prettier graph, but i will sit quietly as this is ironed out.

here when ya need me henry.

She'll get some miles this weekend.  I'm not sure what this is.  There isn't any dripping.  There's just this "gummy" residue that appears down there and not much of it, and when it does appear, it takes awhile.  Other than that, she runs great, but she's finicky about the way she's ridden.  Still 900 pounds of fun tho'.  She turned 3 years old this month.  Things break, wear out, get loose, and we fix those things and keep on riding.  Despite how we feels about these machines, there simply that; machines.

REGGAB

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2008, 10:02:53 PM »

Well....it's gone from "gummy" to wet.  Dripped on Ken's garage floor once this past weekend.  Hasn't dripped on mine since we got home yesterday afternoon.  Don't think it is the shifter shaft seal tho'.  Mainshaft primary seal perhaps.  Reeks of gear oil (Bel-Ray 85W).  It is nasty under there......blowing back all over the left side of the oil pan, but still not bad enough to get on the tire or the belt.  I'm hoping I can ride it through the rest of the fall, then tear it down and replace all the left side seals over the winter.  31K miles.  Things like this happen.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2008, 02:36:42 PM »

Well....it's gone from "gummy" to wet.  Dripped on Ken's garage floor once this past weekend.  Hasn't dripped on mine since we got home yesterday afternoon.  Don't think it is the shifter shaft seal tho'.  Mainshaft primary seal perhaps.  Reeks of gear oil (Bel-Ray 85W).  It is nasty under there......blowing back all over the left side of the oil pan, but still not bad enough to get on the tire or the belt.  I'm hoping I can ride it through the rest of the fall, then tear it down and replace all the left side seals over the winter.  31K miles.  Things like this happen.

At least you could have wiped up the mess. It dripped right between the dog chit and the pile of cigarette butts and the broken beer bottle.  ;D

It's nasty under there? Remember asking me why the front end of mine was all black and grimy underneath? Yea..because I changed the oil filter and just let er drip down. Way I see it, an oily frame will keep it from rusting pre-maturely.

Henry's bike is cleaner after riding through a rain storm than mine is after I spent 8 hours detailing it, OR I should say...IF I EVER were to spend that long detailing. I actually caught him with a mirror looking underneath it. If a bike was meant to be cleaned underneath, the wheels would have been on the top instead of the bottom.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2008, 03:07:37 PM »

Henry's bike is cleaner after riding through a rain storm than mine is after I spent 8 hours detailing it, OR I should say...IF I EVER were to spend that long detailing. I actually caught him with a mirror looking underneath it. If a bike was meant to be cleaned underneath, the wheels would have been on the top instead of the bottom.

Henry definitely details the details Ken.  Has one nice/clean melon.  Know the leak is driving him nuts.

REGGAB

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »

Henry definitely details the details Ken.  Has one nice/clean melon.  Know the leak is driving him nuts.

:ROFLOL:

I'm way past that........... ;)  Keep wondering when I'm gonna hit rock bottom.   ;D

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2008, 04:26:24 PM »

That he does! It's kept looking sharp

REGGAB

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2008, 04:27:49 PM »

At least you could have wiped up the mess. It dripped right between the dog chit and the pile of cigarette butts and the broken beer bottle.  ;D

It's nasty under there? Remember asking me why the front end of mine was all black and grimy underneath? Yea..because I changed the oil filter and just let er drip down. Way I see it, an oily frame will keep it from rusting pre-maturely.

Doesn't everyone do that.............or am I the only one that *sick*?   :P

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2008, 04:35:28 PM »

LOL Henry you're a sick puppy!

Bankrupt

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 00' FXDWG (Yellow) "1550"
    • CVO2: 08' FXDSE2 (Blue) "1802"
    • CVO3: 12' FLTRXSE (Blue) "1802"
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »

I have a 08 FXDSE2 and wondering if I should be lookin' for this after a while? :confused5: Or did they get this fixed? Thanks for the info :xyxthumbs:

REGGAB

« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2008, 09:01:11 PM »

LOL Henry you're a sick puppy!

:huepfenjump3:  I know.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2009, 12:07:21 AM »

So the part # you posted for the shift shaft seal list it for a different application on the Cometic site, these still the correct #'s for the Twin cams?

Cometic #'s:

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2009, 12:21:34 AM »

So the part # you posted for the shift shaft seal list it for a different application on the Cometic site, these still the correct #'s for the Twin cams?

Cometic #'s:

Yes, correct numbers. The Drag numbers are how I order them and the Cometic are right off the seals. I can send them with the other parts if you'd like. Also you will not need the 0935-0162 with the Hi torque bearing......

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2009, 10:36:29 AM »

Yes, correct numbers. The Drag numbers are how I order them and the Cometic are right off the seals. I can send them with the other parts if you'd like. Also you will not need the 0935-0162 with the Hi torque bearing......

Jim

Add 3 of each

What about the trans main shaft seals - have those in Cometic?

Don't recall - did you say you had the oil pump spring in stock?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:27:21 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 21 queries.