Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Zippers issues - What could have caused this?  (Read 3434 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Zippers issues - What could have caused this?
« on: August 02, 2008, 09:37:24 PM »

Yesterday I rode through Hell (Needles, CA to Kingman, AZ @ 118 degrees). When I made it to Flagstaff, the bike was running rough, and the idle would drop to almost stalling, then come back up. I stopped for gas, and the bike would crank, but not start. I checked and it was getting spark, so I figured it to be a fuel issue. I reinitialized the Zippers ECM and that did nothing. I waited for the bike to cool, and that did not help either. I called my buddy at the hotel and asked him to bring his laptop, as I was ready to reload the map (yes, I do carry the software and maps with me on a USB memory stick just for these kinds of problems). Then I decided to pull the ECM fuse and check it. The fuse was okay, and when I reinstalled it, the bike started right up and has run excellently ever since.

Any idea what caused this? Was it the heat?

Other than that the Zippers conversion kit has performed really well. In fact, I am running 87 octane in this 100 plus weather with no ping! That's one Helluva change from when it was an M&M bike!

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

Re: Zippers issues - What could have caused this?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:08:58 PM »

Yesterday I rode through Hell (Needles, CA to Kingman, AZ @ 118 degrees). When I made it to Flagstaff, the bike was running rough, and the idle would drop to almost stalling, then come back up. I stopped for gas, and the bike would crank, but not start. I checked and it was getting spark, so I figured it to be a fuel issue. I reinitialized the Zippers ECM and that did nothing. I waited for the bike to cool, and that did not help either. I called my buddy at the hotel and asked him to bring his laptop, as I was ready to reload the map (yes, I do carry the software and maps with me on a USB memory stick just for these kinds of problems). Then I decided to pull the ECM fuse and check it. The fuse was okay, and when I reinstalled it, the bike started right up and has run excellently ever since.

Any idea what caused this? Was it the heat?

Other than that the Zippers conversion kit has performed really well. In fact, I am running 87 octane in this 100 plus weather with no ping! That's one Helluva change from when it was an M&M bike!

Mark

So far 24 views and no ideas?
On this trip so far, my worst was 29mpgs (Blasting through Hell @ 85-95mph), and best was 52mpgs (Rolling up from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon 50mph @ 7000-8000 feet).
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 07:44:53 AM »

A sensor heated up????? Not really sure on this one. The fact that it would not start would be my guess. Which one???? That is another good question. 118 degrees????? DAMN THAT IS HOT!!!!! If I had to ride in those temps it would be at night. Can you say HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS!!!!

I think pulling the fuse may have reset what ever the problem was or still is. Like I said I think it was a sensor and I also think it was heat related.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:08:25 AM »

So far 24 views and no ideas?
On this trip so far, my worst was 29mpgs (Blasting through Hell @ 85-95mph), and best was 52mpgs (Rolling up from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon 50mph @ 7000-8000 feet).

Sorry, I got nothin. Did the Mohave a couple weeks ago in 110 + and the bike did much better than I did.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 08:29:33 AM »

Yes, that heat was the worst I have ever been in. I meant to take a picture of the thermometer but did not want to take that little bit of extra time to stop. All I wanted to do was get through there as fast as possible. On the way back to LA I probably will try and make it through there in the early dark morning hours.

Back to the Zippers issue, one thing I did find out is that with my mild build, and the Zippers Conversion kit, I can run 87 octane, even in the 100 plus temps. Back when it was a Marelli bike, it pinged all the time, even with octane boost.

Mark

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 08:47:18 AM »

Back to the Zippers issue, one thing I did find out is that with my mild build, and the Zippers Conversion kit, I can run 87 octane, even in the 100 plus temps. Back when it was a Marelli bike, it pinged all the time, even with octane boost.

Mark

That's pretty neat Mark. Paid $6.00 for premium in the desert. I'll get out of this and hope someone can help you out.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 10:53:31 AM »

Yes, that heat was the worst I have ever been in. I meant to take a picture of the thermometer but did not want to take that little bit of extra time to stop. All I wanted to do was get through there as fast as possible. On the way back to LA I probably will try and make it through there in the early dark morning hours.

Mark

I can't comment to the Zippers issue, but I have had vapor lock on my Kawa and it had similar symptoms...any chance you had a vapor lock from the extreme heat?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 01:33:49 AM »

I can't comment to the Zippers issue, but I have had vapor lock on my Kawa and it had similar symptoms...any chance you had a vapor lock from the extreme heat?

I don't think so, it was pulling the ECM fuse that made the difference, not getting fuel into the lines.

Mark

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 03:19:12 AM »

Have you had the problem since???? What are the temps you are running in now? I still think it was heat related.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Sean M Cary

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 06:30:41 AM »

I don't think so, it was pulling the ECM fuse that made the difference, not getting fuel into the lines.

Mark

I have heard of folks having gas boil at those temps, never happened to me, but there are folks who hang crap all over their KLR and block the natural air flow and the heat from the cylinders goes strait up...gas actually boiled. 

That's crazy.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »

Have you had the problem since???? What are the temps you are running in now? I still think it was heat related.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Dawg,

Temps have been reasonable so far, 90s to 105, and I have NOT had the problem since. The only other issue I had was yesterday outside of Blanding, Utah when I went to use the CB.  When I keyed the hand held micraphone, the bike bucked for a second, and the check engine light came on. I did not use the CB for the rest of that leg. Later when we stopped for gas, I checked the Coax connection at the tourpack, and the one at the radio behind the headlight bucket. Both were tight. I thought it might have been leaking RF waves screwing with the ECM. I have had something like this happen before in my work car when the techs did a poor job of installing the 2-way radios. Every tiome we keyed the mics, the car would buck like a bronco and stall. The day before that one of the floorboard bracket bolts vibrated loose. Other than these Gremlins everything (knock on wood) has been fine.

Today we are in Cortez, CO. There are a ton of bikes out all heading to Sturgis.

Mark

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:03:02 AM »

Thought about checking the error codes on the speedo?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 01:59:16 PM »

Dawg,

Temps have been reasonable so far, 90s to 105, and I have NOT had the problem since. The only other issue I had was yesterday outside of Blanding, Utah when I went to use the CB.  When I keyed the hand held micraphone, the bike bucked for a second, and the check engine light came on. I did not use the CB for the rest of that leg. Later when we stopped for gas, I checked the Coax connection at the tourpack, and the one at the radio behind the headlight bucket. Both were tight. I thought it might have been leaking RF waves screwing with the ECM. I have had something like this happen before in my work car when the techs did a poor job of installing the 2-way radios. Every tiome we keyed the mics, the car would buck like a bronco and stall. The day before that one of the floorboard bracket bolts vibrated loose. Other than these Gremlins everything (knock on wood) has been fine.

Today we are in Cortez, CO. There are a ton of bikes out all heading to Sturgis.
Mark

Have a great trip. I hope you can keep the gremlins away for the rest of the trip.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 08:25:49 PM »

You have whats known as the deadly intermittent problem. I've almost lost my sanity on a couple of those. One day you think its the fuse, next day the cb radio etc. Unfortunately in my case it's usually worsened quite a bit before I've gotten them fixed. I had a fuel sending unit that was acting up a couple of years ago on my serk every so often and causing similar issues like what you mentioned.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 11:45:42 PM »

Been down through there many times, and even crossed Death Valley on the way back from Las Vegas in May one year it was like 117 degrees at 8:30AM..  :nixweiss: :oops:

Sounds like electronics were overheating and maybe the combination of shutting down and then pulling the fuse reset the whole thing. The CB radion maybe is causing interference with the Zippers box if it's not shielded properly?  :nixweiss: Don't have the issue since I didn't have CB or my RG or certainly not on the SERK.

As someone posted earlier it could also be one of the engine management sensors, and the code should be stored if that was the case.

Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.