Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire repair kits  (Read 2435 times)

JimsSEEG

• Full CVO Member
Tire repair kits
« on: June 18, 2005, 04:28:15 PM »

Anoynoe using tire patch / plug kits? Which ones and are they working for you? What about tire sealers for bikes?

It seems like I only get a flat on a new tire with really low mileage on it. I got a Stop and Go kit with the plugs and CO2 fill canisters, and whn I had my first flat (yes my first in 37 years) last year on a brand new (107 miles) Metzler ME880, couldn't get the plug to seal. $80 for the tow truck, $140 for the new tire, Missed ride time, pain in the butt - priceless.

Dropped off the new ride yesterday to the dealer for the 1k service and guess what, picked up a screw in it.

I do realize the tire manufacturers are desingng the interiors of the tires so they can't be patched, and they won't warranty a tire that has been patched or plugged, but talking about true "emergency use only". I would rather be able to limp home or to a stop on a marginal tire, than leave a bike on the side of the road and walk to a location with cell service.

Jim

"Ophelia"

"pull that thing in here - it's not running good enough to scatter sh*& with a hay rake...."   E.K.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Tire repair kits
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 01:49:29 AM »

Anoynoe using tire patch / plug kits? Which ones and are they working for you? What about tire sealers for bikes?

It seems like I only get a flat on a new tire with really low mileage on it. I got a Stop and Go kit with the plugs and CO2 fill canisters, and whn I had my first flat (yes my first in 37 years) last year on a brand new (107 miles) Metzler ME880, couldn't get the plug to seal. $80 for the tow truck, $140 for the new tire, Missed ride time, pain in the butt - priceless.

Dropped off the new ride yesterday to the dealer for the 1k service and guess what, picked up a screw in it.

I do realize the tire manufacturers are desingng the interiors of the tires so they can't be patched, and they won't warranty a tire that has been patched or plugged, but talking about true "emergency use only". I would rather be able to limp home or to a stop on a marginal tire, than leave a bike on the side of the road and walk to a location with cell service.

The "kit" I carry is something from Progressive suspension.  Though the only part of the kit from them that I really worry about is the Co2 gun (some are easier to use than others).  They're little plug tool is ok too.  It's still in there.  But it's not the only one.  

A good auto parts store that supplies to garages and tires shops will have other types of plug tools and, more importantly, other types of plugs.  Some are little almost triangle or pyramid shaped screw in plugs, there are the old standard rope type, and a few others anymore.  They all work differently, and better or worse, in different types of punctures.

Granted, you just have to admit going in that some holes won't be sealed.  But most of time for damage like a screw or other item that doesn't just make a gouge you can get it sealed good enough to at least limp in.  I grew up from about age 11 to 17 or so working in a gas station so fixed a lot of tires.  Maybe just got "the feel," but you can usually get a punctured (as opposed to a really mangled) tire plugged.  

Over the miles I've had a flat on the road five times I can think of.  Last one was just a couple weeks ago.  Every time but one was able to get the bike in without a tow.  Next time might not be so lucky.  But a guy can always keep his fingers crossed.  And, yeah, my next stop is also always the closest shop to get a new tire.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.