Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Vrod screaming eagle or road king  (Read 17594 times)

serk

Vrod screaming eagle or road king
« on: August 05, 2008, 01:16:16 PM »

Ive owned a Roadking in the past I'm buying a vrod se how does it ride compared to a roadking.

Thanks

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Vrod screaming eagle or road king
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 03:24:04 PM »

Ive owned a Roadking in the past I'm buying a vrod se how does it ride compared to a roadking.

Thanks

I've owned 5 RK's. I test rode a VROD and HATED IT!!! They're fast but not very comfortable. And the turning radius is horrendoius. If ya want a WC street rocket, there's other choices. If ya want a cruiser or tourer, there's plenty of other choices. If ya want a fast straight line bike, there are other choices. Not really sure where this bike fits into the whole HD scene exactly. There are plenty of VRod guys that LOVE EM! But as a traditional HD guy, I never got it. I rented one to check it out, rode for 10 minutes and returned it for a Softail, the only Big Twin they had. AND I HATE SOFTAILS!!! ;)

I hope I wasn't too hard on the VRod, but if you're going from a RK to one, I thought you should hear what another RK guy thinks! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 03:46:08 PM »

I've owned 5 RK's. I test rode a VROD and HATED IT!!! They're fast but not very comfortable. And the turning radius is horrendoius. If ya want a WC street rocket, there's other choices. If ya want a cruiser or tourer, there's plenty of other choices. If ya want a fast straight line bike, there are other choices. Not really sure where this bike fits into the whole HD scene exactly. There are plenty of VRod guys that LOVE EM! But as a traditional HD guy, I never got it. I rented one to check it out, rode for 10 minutes and returned it for a Softail, the only Big Twin they had. AND I HATE SOFTAILS!!! ;)

I hope I wasn't too hard on the VRod, but if you're going from a RK to one, I thought you should hear what another RK guy thinks! ;)

Hoist! 8)

As Howie said, some like them some hate them, a few even feel they're not Harley's. Q ::) They are an acquired ride. I love mine. Low speed handling is squirrelly, but it is a blast to ride. I'll be moving onto a SERK or a SEEG in a few years for longer rides but I'm hoping I can keep my V too.

Just take it easy at slow speeds till you get the feel for it. I know I could ride circles around it, literally, in the parking lot on the Street Glide I rented last year, 2 up too.

What are you getting for a V-Rod??

Ed
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:55:49 PM by Special_Ed »
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »

Thanks

As Howie said, it isn't anything like a Road King.  As Ed said, it is for some and not for others and somewhat of an acquired taste.  I have a SERK and an SEVrod along with Heritage Classic and a Buell.  They all serve different purposes, but I absolutely love the SEVrod.  I plan for the SEVrod to stay in the stable for ever if possible.  My favorite ride for rides over 300 miles would certainly be the SERK, but for shorter rides and mini-touring, the V is a blast.  It is amazing how large the turning radius is for slow speed maneuvers, but once you get past that, hang on, you're going to love it.  I would certainly suggest adding the Bitubo's (Thanks Ken) and the Traxxion front end to really increase the ride comfort and handling characteristics of the bike. 

Craig

serk

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 02:01:18 AM »

Thanks for the information the vrod I'm buying is the screaming eagle I've had the touring bikes that just don't have the get up and go the screaming eagle has or the look.

Thanks

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 10:42:27 PM »

Road King + V-rod is a nice combo if you can do two.

V-rod handling - not a plus for the bike with the 240 tire.  I can flick the RK around compared to the V-rod which I have to push back and forth.  But my basically bone stock DX took home 2nd prize at a little bike show 20 minutes after I pulled in.  People just gawk at the thing (the Thunderheader is a HUGE improvement over those crap stock Thermos bottles they put on where mufflers go)

But if you're into long miles, the RK wins hands down.  Hell a Sporty with a removable shield would be better for 500+ mile days.  But nothing beats that V-rod up to around 300 miles in a day.  But I wouldn't want to do them all in one go.  Four 75 mile pieces, sure.  But forget bringing any overnight gear besides a toothbrush too.

dereck

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHXSE2.ORG

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
    • CVO2: sold FLHRSE3 Black Ice
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 07:28:30 AM »

Who is Howie kiddin', he hated his RK too, he's changed everything  :2vrolijk_21:

I put 17,000 miles on an '03 VROD.  The stock set up was fine for me.  It handled better, stopped faster, and had way more power than my FLHRSE3.

I sold it in November 2006 because the '07s came out with a 5-gallon gas tank and 240 rear tire.  So I needed to sell mine fast before everyone interested in a VROD figured that out.  I'll own another one again some day.  Good luck.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 08:54:44 AM »

Mi amigo Dereck...you said very well and Craig and Ed as well.............the most of the guys who own or owned a Vrod doesn't get rid of her.......it's totally different than other Harley but is fast & fun......In my personal opinion I wouldn't change the RK for a VRod....I will keep both  :2vrolijk_21: I have had two and as Craig said I believe that I won't sell it......... ;)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 09:31:33 AM »

Who is Howie kiddin', he hated his RK too, he's changed everything  :2vrolijk_21:

I put 17,000 miles on an '03 VROD.  The stock set up was fine for me.  It handled better, stopped faster, and had way more power than my FLHRSE3.

I sold it in November 2006 because the '07s came out with a 5-gallon gas tank and 240 rear tire.  So I needed to sell mine fast before everyone interested in a VROD figured that out.  I'll own another one again some day.  Good luck.

HeHe! It's still the best bike dereck! Just needed a little "improving"! ;D

But they all do, don't they! ;)

Two functionally different bikes. Get both, like NightRodX! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 03:26:31 PM »

What a question! Get/keep both of them. If it has two wheels, its fine, isn't it?

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 09:41:16 PM »

So...what did you do?

CVOSE

• FL

• CVO1: VRSCSE2
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »

I started with a Buell Ulysses, 36000mls in two years, and because my wive drives a heritage softail I looked into Harley. The dealer had an orange SEVrod, 10000mls in two years, and after seeing it several times I took it for a drive and it was sold ride away.

two years later my dealer told me there was a left over SERK 3, candy red. 2000mls in four months, He made a good price and now I enjoy all three bikes for different purposes.

..Hawk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 02:14:46 PM »

Like most have said, keep both.  Got a 02Vrod, nice for around town, very quick.  Use the Ultra for long rides. 

They both are Harley's, but they come from different planets.

Hawk

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 08:25:36 PM »

Like most have said, keep both.  Got a 02Vrod, nice for around town, very quick.  Use the Ultra for long rides. 

Hawk

LOL! Good one, never heard it worded quite that way but very true.
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »

Hawk

I think the same........ :2vrolijk_21:

PHAZE

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '05 SEEG/'06 CUSE/'07 SERK/'09 SERG (ALL SOLD)
    • CVO2: '09 CVO Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz (SOLD)
    • CVO3: '11.5 CVO Ultra Classic Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 05:48:18 PM »

I've had two Road Kings and one V-Rod.  There just isn't much of a comparison.  I enjoyed the V-Rod, but did end up trading it on a Jeep Wrangler.  There isn't much comparison between the V-Rod and the Jeep either.  It just really depends on what you're looking for and what kind of riding you want to do.  The V-Rod is just sneaky fast from about 60 MPH to 100 MPH.  The V-Rod just isn't like any other Harley that I've had.  It doesn't feel the same, ride the same, or sound the same.  It's a great bike, but just different.  I like the appearance of the new V-Rod Muscle, but didn't like what was reported in the first review I saw on the bike.

The Road King is very versatile.  I really like being able to go with the windshield or without.  With the back rests or without.  It's great for riding around town, but with a luggage rack and bag (or a tour pack) you can take it out for an extended trip.  You just can't appreciate how nice it is to have saddle bags until you've been without them.  I think that if you want saddle bags, you need to buy a bike built with bags rather than trying to add bags to a bike that doesn't come with them as standard equipment.

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 07:48:01 PM »

Thought we'd get a V-rod (at least Revo-powered) bagger as a big surprise add to the lineup.

I still think one's coming, just don't know when.

I do think it'll be a big, big hit whenever it does hit the street.

spepin

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 2006 VRSCSE2
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 11:44:25 PM »

Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to chime in since I own(ed) both of them.  I bought a new VRSCSE2 and put about 3,400 miles on it.  It's definitely not a long distance cruiser but more of a sport cruiser (and looks damn nice while at it).  On the other hand, buy it used (obviously) because it doesn't hold it's value for crap.  I know the economy is bad, but I lost $13,500 on mine when I sold it (yesterday).  The NADA used bike value on a stock SE2 is about 20k.  I had about 6k in upgrades and such on top of it, so I had 31k into it (bought it new for 25k OTD).  After months on ebay, it finally sold for $17,500.  I didn't want to sell it, but I had to thin the herd.  On a positive note -- it did go to a good home -- the husband of the owner of the St. Lois Rams bought it  :bananarock: .

On the other hand, back in July, I bought a new '08 FLHRSE4.  By far the nicest most comfortable bike I've owned. Definitely a keeper.  If I could, I would have kept them both, but since I had to choose, I think I made the right decision with the SERK.

Hog Head

• CVO1: VRSCSE2
    • CVO2: SEUC07
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 10:59:38 AM »

Keep RK and but V-rod.
I have FLHTUCSE2 and 06 V-ROD SE. Use them both for different types of riding. But, I'll be honest - The Ride Comfort of the FLHT is way better than the V-Rod...
HOG HEAD

SEUC07
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.