Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Howie's New FXR  (Read 14040 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: Howie's New FXR
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2008, 12:43:23 AM »

Hey everyone.....spent the day with my grandchildren (which I do every week) today didn't have access to computer.....

I AM LAUGHING SO HARD......YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST......shaking my head.....it's all great!!!!!!  Let me see here.....let me catch my breath....lol.....the volume here is going a mile a minute!!!! 

that bike is beautiful everytime I see it....can you guys tell me about the blue windshield please?????

Ok...how about bringing me up to speed on who "Jim" is Hoist, obviously you have a great relationship with him [WAVES TO JIM.... :bananarock:]....so tell the "unknown" about your guys friendship a bit.....I am doing the best I can here to stay up with the program......lol....here wait a minute....

:vrolijk_11: :2vrolijk_09:   ok now continue....

I read that you had two guys look at the bike and now I believe Jim is working on it.....so if it's ok with you guys just give me a little background........

:2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:05:10 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 12:52:59 AM »

Hoist,

Just a quick point, the turn signals on the bike are the ones being used on twin cams.....you probably know this, but they are not the stock ones that come on the bike....I know you mentioned somewhere lol that Joy has all of the "oem" parts....so I am sure they are in the box....and I must say this is the first time I have seen a "CVO" FXR with these turn signals and they look great!!!!!!

UPDATE  08-08-08:
IF YOU GO TO "Value of a 1999 FXR2" Thread reply #349 DOES SHOW A PHOTO THAT DOES HAVE THE STOCK TURN SIGNALS....so that picture is out of sync with the other photos you have.  All other photos show the "newer" style "twin cam" turn signals......

Tim
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 02:26:23 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 12:59:41 AM »

LoL,

I like the blue windshield.....but anyway.....if you decide you want something different Hoist or for anyone on this matter....an option to everyone is putting on the "quick release" set up for a 2003 Dyna Low Rider FXDL [I mention the 2003 Dyna Low Rider only because I previously owned one and when I sold the FXDL in 2007 I took the "quick release" parts as well as the "windshield" which I actually never used on the FXDL lol....and so I took the quick release parts off of the 2003 FXDL and moved them over to the FXR and everything fits perfectly inclusive of the windshield.....so that's always an option if anyone is interested.....

If for some reason anyone wants the part numbers I still have them and can put them into this thread.....

UPDATE:
58164-96A    39 MM Detachable  Windshield Hardware Kit    56.00 (2002 price)
58112-96       Detachable Winshield                               227.96 (2002 price)

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:25:50 AM by FXR2evo99 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 01:10:54 AM »

Hey everyone.....spent the day with my grandchildren (which I do every week) today didn't have access to computer.....

I AM LAUGHING SO HARD......YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST......shaking my head.....it's all great!!!!!!  Let me see here.....let me catch my breath....lol.....the volume here is going a mile a minute!!!! 

that bike is beautiful everytime I see it....can you guys tell me about the blue windshield please?????

Ok...how about bringing me up to speed on who "Jim" is Hoist, obviously you have a great relationship with him....so tell the "unknown" about your guys friendship a bit.....I am doing the best I can here to stay up with the program......lol....here wait a minute....

:vrolijk_11: :2vrolijk_09:   ok now continue....

I read that you had two guys look at the bike and now I believe Jim is working on it.....so if it's ok with you guys just give me a little background........

:2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim

HeHe! You really don't get out of this Board much, do ya Tim? ;D ;D ;D

Jim, is hd-dude and Joe is CVOJOE on the site. I only know them thru CVOHarley! I travel around and have met many members from the site. I've stayed in their homes as they've stayed in mine. Many great relationships and friendships developed here. All because of this great site. And that's because of the people. The people make the site, but the site is the vehicle we have in common to be here, the love of our CVO Motorcycles! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Jim has opened a bike shop in Hayward, CA, and just celebrated his first anniversary at the new shop. Joe lives about 20 mi away from the seller. I've been out to CA last fall and visited and rode with a buncha great members out there. We all keep in touch with each other, and we know someone's out there should we need some help.

Well these guys stepped up and offered to help. Not many people I'd trust to check out a bike for me. I still can't believe I bought one without seeing it. But in Jim's hands, I knew I had nothing to worry about. The bike was as advertised and they took it away at the time they looked at it.

Jim's an excellent wrench and knows his electronics. He's one of the site electronics gurus and helps everyone that asks. He also offers members a 10% discount on anything you want to order from him. So the bike's in his capable hands now, getting the minimum Hoist changes I know I need for me (not a small list), sight unseen, to be able to start riding it the minute it shows up in NYC!

And the funniest part of all.......................................hd-dude is a CVOHarley Global Moderator. How'd ya miss this? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist,

Just a quick point, the turn signals on the bike are the ones being used on twin cams.....you probably know this, but they are not the stock ones that come on the bike....I know you mentioned somewhere lol that Joy has all of the "oem" parts....so I am sure they are in the box....and I must say this is the first time I have seen a "CVO" FXR with these turn signals and they look great!!!!!!

Tim

That I would have never noticed! Great eye! :2vrolijk_21:

LoL,

I like the blue windshield.....but anyway.....if you decide you want something different Hoist or for anyone on this matter....an option to everyone is putting on the "quick release" set up for a 2003 Dyna Low Rider FXDL [I mention the 2003 Dyna Low Rider only because I previously owned one and when I sold the FXDL in 2007 I took the "quick release" parts as well as the "windshield" which I actually never used on the FXDL lol....and so I took the quick release parts off of the 2003 FXDL and moved them over to the FXR and everything fits perfectly inclusive of the windshield.....so that's always an option if anyone is interested.....

If for some reason anyone wants the part numbers I still have them and can put them into this thread.....

Regards,

Tim

This shield will be removed. Don't usually use a W/S on street bikes. If I need one for a trip, I can put it back on. Rare chance that might happen. But if you have the parts list handy, by all means. It will come in helpful to someone! ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:16:31 AM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 01:44:04 AM »

And the funniest part of all.......................................hd-dude is a CVOHarley Global Moderator. How'd ya miss this?         :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;)

Laughing....... :oops:

Hey I am doing the best I can to keep up with this "whirl wind" your right....I use to go over to the SEFLHRCI area here in the CVO site...but I really settled into this area [FXR] since this is what I really enjoy.....Besides, you pretty well settled into your serk now and are just riding it.....and I have pretty much got my FLHRCI the way I want it....so my attention turns to the passion of the FXR....and watching what is exactly happening right here.....I have a buddy that's a member here that doesn't post but reads here.....and he is excited to see what's going to be shared next, he owns a FXR3 and is the "responsible" person for introducing me to the "FXR" way back for me in the fall of 2002.  I didn't listen and had to purchase a 2003 FXDL....you know the 100th Century "excitement"....the only thing I loved about that bike besides the custom paint was that I put a 95" engine into it.....and then when I decided to sell it last Spring I took 90 hours and switched my both engines...ie: 2003 FXDL 95" and a 2002 RKC FLHRCI stock engine and flipped the two engines doing 90% of the work myself....and both engines ran on first turn over....so now my 2002 RKC has the 95" engine in it and what I felt "emotionally" about the FXDL is now in my RKC.  Here is a picture of those two bikes together, [I will leave the photos up for a bit I Know this thread is about your bike....so I will discard the photo in a day or so....lol] ....I could care less about the FXDL now....no REMORSE....lol just HAPPY to have the ENGINE....that's what I felt about that bike....lol

I am not even sure what a Global moderator is or does here.....but I do know I haven't been banned yet so I am not getting into trouble here.....ok ok ok ok, <~~~~feels like Joe Pesci I sort of know what a "Global Moderator" does.....

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:56:46 AM by FXR2evo99 »

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 01:56:56 AM »

Hey, Howie!  What's all that rubber I see caked up under the rear fender?!?

Jim, where's the pics of all the burn-outs in the driveway this afternoon? I though Ernie & AK too some as well?

:oops:  :bananarock: :nervous:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 02:07:28 AM »

And the funniest part of all.......................................hd-dude is a CVOHarley Global Moderator. How'd ya miss this?         :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;)

Laughing....... :oops:

Hey I am doing the best I can to keep up with this "whirl wind" your right....I use to go over to the SEFLHRCI area here in the CVO site...but I really settled into this area [FXR] since this is what I really enjoy.....Besides, you pretty well settled into your serk now and are just riding it.....and I have pretty much got my FLHRCI the way I want it....so my attention turns to the passion of the FXR....and watching what is exactly happening right here.....I have a buddy that's a member here that doesn't post but reads here.....and he is excited to see what's going to be shared next, he owns a FXR3 and is the "responsible" person for introducing me to the "FXR" way back for me in the fall of 2002.  I didn't listen and had to purchase a 2003 FXDL....you know the 100th Century "excitement"....the only thing I loved about that bike besides the custom paint was that I put a 95" engine into it.....and then when I decided to sell it last Spring I took 90 hours and switched my both engines...ie: 2003 FXDL 95" and a 2002 RKC FLHRCI stock engine and flipped the two engines doing 90% of the work myself....and both engines ran on first turn over....so now my 2002 RKC has the 95" engine in it and what I felt "emotionally" about the FXDL is now in my RKC.  Here is a picture of those two bikes together, I will leave the photos up for a bit....I could care less about the FXDL now....no REMORSE....lol just HAPPY to have the ENGINE....that's what I felt about that bike....lol

I am not even sure what a Global moderator is or does here.....but I do know I haven't been banned yet so I am not getting into trouble here.....ok ok ok ok, <~~~~feels like Joe Pesci I sort of know what a "Global Moderator" does.....

Regards,

Tim

Cool idea on the engine swap! Did you just swap top ends, or pull the motors? If the motors, any problems with the case numbers?

Just curious. Maybe I should swap out the 89" S&S motor from my Pro Street with my new Blue 3! ;D

Most folks go about their business here and stick with boards that are of interest to them. They're even very active in those boards like yourself. There's also a decent size social aspect to the site as well. But some won't notice or pay attention to that aspect. Not surprising at all with almost 6000 strangers here (and none stranger than me!) But some of us don't remain strangers. The social aspect is just as much fun as the bike aspect for me now. I have lifelong friendships with folks I've met here. And I wouldn't have Joy if it weren't for this great site!

I wasn't trying to imply anything negative to you, so I hope it wasn't taken that way at all. Just having some fun, and trying to explain a little about the other attributes of this great site!

I hear ya on the Dyna too. I had a '95 Dyna Convertible. Bike handled great and ran well too. But there was something missing. The thing I get when I ride my '85 FXWG. That's why that bike will be with me forever. Same with Cybil. I'm sure I'll feel that way about the BLUE 3 too!

The Moderators basically keep the site organized. Yeah, they have to be the cops too. But we're not the big bad biker crowd we portend to be! We let em off easy! ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 03:08:37 AM »

I wasn't trying to imply anything negative to you, so I hope it wasn't taken that way at all. Just having some fun, and trying to explain a little about the other attributes of this great site!

Hoist....nah you didn't imply anything negative at all....LOL I know it's really quit humorus as to what you pointed out.....I just get "tunneled" vision....lol....your point was great....like, ummm he is the MODERATOR....laughing....yep....lol oh lol sorry....too funny.

Did you just swap top ends, or pull the motors? If the motors, any problems with the case numbers?

I removed cylinders and of course the pistons....I kept the "pistons" within the "walls" of the cylinders as well, by having myself and 3 other sets of hands there (total of 4 guys) we took the wrist pins from each piston and flipped them all from one engine to the other....that way new rings were not required or rehoning either....it was of course the "most" delicate portion of the "flip".  Also changed the cams in each respective bike flipping to the other as well.  The total cost of the flip was $175.00 and that was for all of the gaskets for both bikes....so basically $87.50 per bike....I of course learned a lot by doing this....I essentially took two engines part [from the jugs up as well as the cams for both bikes] and put them all back together.  You are correct, this afforded me the ability to not mess with the "cases".  Oh and about 3 weeks ago, I put 3.37 gearing into my RKC removing the 3.15 gearing....which I TOTALLY ENJOY...it really WOKE up what I did with the engine flip as well....Did you know that the "final" gearing even for a 1985 FXRS Low Glide came with 3.37 gearing.  Now this may be something you want to do to create some more power although I participated on a thread which was quite interesting on this matter as well....I must say however that I DO like the gearing on our "CVO" bikes which is different from all previous FXR's.  The "CVO" FXR's do have 2.925 final gearing and no other FXR's have that.

Regards,

Tim

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2008, 07:37:54 AM »

Hoist....nah you didn't imply anything negative at all....LOL I know it's really quit humorus as to what you pointed out.....I just get "tunneled" vision....lol....your point was great....like, ummm he is the MODERATOR....laughing....yep....lol oh lol sorry....too funny.

Did you just swap top ends, or pull the motors? If the motors, any problems with the case numbers?

I removed cylinders and of course the pistons....I kept the "pistons" within the "walls" of the cylinders as well, by having myself and 3 other sets of hands there (total of 4 guys) we took the wrist pins from each piston and flipped them all from one engine to the other....that way new rings were not required or rehoning either....it was of course the "most" delicate portion of the "flip".  Also changed the cams in each respective bike flipping to the other as well.  The total cost of the flip was $175.00 and that was for all of the gaskets for both bikes....so basically $87.50 per bike....I of course learned a lot by doing this....I essentially took two engines part [from the jugs up as well as the cams for both bikes] and put them all back together.  You are correct, this afforded me the ability to not mess with the "cases".  Oh and about 3 weeks ago, I put 3.37 gearing into my RKC removing the 3.15 gearing....which I TOTALLY ENJOY...it really WOKE up what I did with the engine flip as well....Did you know that the "final" gearing even for a 1985 FXRS Low Glide came with 3.37 gearing.  Now this may be something you want to do to create some more power although I participated on a thread which was quite interesting on this matter as well....I must say however that I DO like the gearing on our "CVO" bikes which is different from all previous FXR's.  The "CVO" FXR's do have 2.925 final gearing and no other FXR's have that.

Regards,

Tim

Cool Tim, we all have our "tunnelvision" moments too! ;D ;D ;D

Ah, so you performed an economical "displacement swap"! Great idea. Why give that stuff away with the bike with no value, when you can use it elswhere. Great idea.

Thanks for the info on the gearing. I heard the CVO FXR's have good gearing. I'd like to see how the bike feels. HeHe! All this stuff and I haven't even ridden this bike yet! ;D

I'll see how it feels, but with that CA cam in it, not sure I'll be feeling an accurate representation of how the bike can run. But won't be doing cams right away. So I hope with all the Stage 1 stuff I'm doing, it will wake it up enough for me to live with for awhile. But wih a 110", 115 HP big sister, I might find myself in need of an additional power infusion! I feel a CVO FXR cam thread coming on! ::) ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 08:18:06 AM by Hoist! »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2008, 07:56:42 AM »

Hoist,

Tim

Holy crap! :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:  Great eye, Tim! :2vrolijk_21:

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2008, 07:10:29 AM »

Yes, those turn signals look good, but i still prefer the larger stock ones for visibility. windvest windshields are nice looking, harley ones look clunky compared to them. If you want to get rid of the windvest, to another blue rider..let me know, may come in handy..for our winter rides in alabama. hehe

dave

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2008, 12:14:50 AM »

Well the work is done and Howie's "Joy" is ready for the trip to her new home. She will be picked up next week, here are the pics of the bike all completed.......

Can you spot all of the changes?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 12:15:35 AM »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2008, 12:16:30 AM »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2008, 12:17:47 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 21 queries.