Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Say it aint so... more deletions?  (Read 8334 times)

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
Re: Say it aint so... more deletions?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 03:59:47 PM »

what the powers that be want is to maintain a site where everyone gets along and respects each other.

I forgot to say.... YOU CAN'T CONTROL THAT.  But it's very New England of you to try  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2005, 04:02:57 PM »

Quote from --------> DJW - Dr. Evil
Hey notice how I use his entire handle. Just to keep the fingers off the trigger!
And I even spelled it correctly!

BTW, Chit... I don't give a rat's A$$ what you call me.  I'm not so small minded or thin skinned as to take offense to it.   [smiley=drink.gif]  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 04:03:30 PM by DJW »

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2005, 04:09:48 PM »

[smiley=laugh.gif]

I knew that [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Thanks Bud!

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2005, 09:57:35 PM »

GEEEESH!  Come on.  Doesn't anyone else have an opinion?  Are we sheep?  Seriously?  If I'm wrong somebody say it!  But if I'm right.... say that too

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2005, 10:09:30 PM »

Hey Chip.  In support of your cause I amended my signature.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

I'm guessing I WON'T be asked to help and be a group ride leader again [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 10:11:01 PM by DJW »

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 10:10:07 PM »

OK-BOO FRICKEN WHo- I think your "ALL POST ARE SUBJECT TO etc,etc" in the body of all your post  is uncalled for -AK
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 10:11:22 PM by ak »
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2005, 10:12:05 PM »

Sorry DJW, I guess since I have no clue where the deletions were and what the perceived problem was by whom ever deleted them, it is pretty hard to form an opinion at all on the nothing that is left behind. I have not seen anything in a long time that got my eyre up and I have seen a whole lot of good info being shared. I have missed your posts from the site for a bit and Twolanerider's too. He has been gone on an extended trip, Lugnut57 is totally rehauling his house and I have been busy at work, getting my new to me house up to par and riding my six month old --- finally fixed  as of June 16 SEEG around and enjoying scenery in an area I just moved to a year ago.  I don't know what you want me to get upset about, but I can't find it.  Point it out to me and maybe I will get upset too. Since I can't see it, I have to assume it was bad enough for someone to feel they had to step in and stop a thread going bad. I remember in the MFG days there were days I did not want to log on for fear of attack. I was actually scared he might show up in my driveway.  I don't have those fears anymore.  I like to tell you what I am up to and what is up with my wonderful SEEG and I like it when others do the same. As for deletions..... once gone..... gone like spilt milk.  Gone and lets move on. There is more to say. I am not a great one for proofing my stuff and I have typed up a whole story and then removed the entire post cause on preview it does not come across like I thought it in my head and felt it in my heart.  Am I bad?  No... just not a good expresser of my opinions.  If I said anything that could hurt anyone else..... please let any one that could stop that from happening delete my post. Not my itent nor do I believe it to be anyone's intent here. We share a common experience..... Harley Davidson's CVO bikes.  After that we are as different as anyone can imagine.  That diveristy is both exciting and electrifying as it is dangerous.  Lets all try to remember that we meet here daily.... or at least I do...... to share a fun time..  Lets all Ride and Have Fun, OK?  [smiley=1syellow1.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]  Also, I gotta say, having had the pleasure of meeting you in person, I feel I can talk to you this way....... Please do not attack me, I only want to be your friend. I hope we get the opportunity to meet again.  It is not nice being on the end of an attack here. I only want to have friends here who have my back.... I think I have yours.   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 10:16:21 PM by Mrs._WeCVO »

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2005, 10:19:36 PM »

OK-BOO FRICKEN WHo- I think your "ALL POST ARE SUBJECT TO etc,etc" in the body of all your post  is uncalled for -AK

That sir, would be the signature... not the body.  Your opinion has been duly noted.  Thank you.

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2005, 10:28:51 PM »

I only want to have friends here who have my back.... I think I have yours.   [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Candy, I definitely have your back.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]  But we still need to talk about that dang kickstand!  It's gotta go! [smiley=laugh.gif]

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2005, 10:41:08 PM »

That sir, would be the signature... not the body.  Your opinion has been duly noted.  Thank you.

DJW
 I had your back but you don't need any help with the wrong coast

I remain  OTIS

Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2005, 11:40:39 PM »

GEEEESH!  Come on.  Doesn't anyone else have an opinion?  Are we sheep?  Seriously?  If I'm wrong somebody say it!  But if I'm right.... say that too

OK DJ, you asked for it.  So for you and everyone else involved and interested, here goes:

You wrote in a post elsewhere in this thread that you weren't so thin skinned that anything anyone said to you or about you online was really any big deal.  Honest to God I couldn't agree more.  Our fellow member Chip here wrote, basically, that he agreed with you as well.  So we're all in agreement.  No one should take personal affront here just because of some silly damned post.  Just about everything here is all in fun; or it should be.

So... we're all agreed?  Right?  Apparently not.  As the recent issue that you've been responding to stems at least partially from something that has exactly that (being thin skinned) as a baseline.  A couple of weeks ago I was teasing JC about his sore ass and needing a butt massage after his surgery.  Chip made some remark about who should be hired for the massage and was, at the same time, commenting about his hope to go the western get together in Reno.  I put one and one together, still teasing JC about his sore ass and using Chip (who it seemed had been playing along) as the foile, and made some remark that we ought to just hire Chip for the massage.  I also commented that he was cute.

Rather than taking it as the joke it was, the locker room humor everyone else seemed to understand it to be,  and the inconsequential thing that it was Chip decided to none of those things.  Not just take it in stride, not be thick enough skinned to roll with the joke, and he went off.  I'm still not sure if he thought I was saying he was gay, if he thought I was hitting on him, or just what insecurities manifested the reaction.  But the reaction was strong.  

Making the issue even more troublesome was that Chip's friend Hubbard joined the conversation also claiming some sort of damage or ill feeling or intent.  Quite frankly the whole thing was just nuts.  I was trying to be exceptionally polite and not say that then, but it was just frigging nuts.

At the time not wanting to have what was only good natured teasing become an incendiary issue I apologized.  Publicly.  Totally.  Completely.  The apology was accepted.  In a barely civil fashion, but accepted nonetheless.  I assumed that ended the matter and that no one was really pissed off at anyone about anything else.  It's just a frigging chat site after all !

That was until all this blew up.  I don't believe this would have been anything approaching the issue it is except for the fact that Chip is still upset about the events of a couple weeks ago and he apparently just doesn't like being corrected.  At least from my perspective that is the only explanation for the way things have transpired.  

The full events that you're reacting to without having been involved in (got to be something like the cousin/neighbor walking in the door and tryig to stir things up as you're trying to calm down a family in the middle of a domestic abuse call some night eh?) are as follows:

We have a new-ish user here named Osmacat or Omsacat, one or the other and I forget which.  Chip had apparently completely innocently misread the gentlemen's name as Osamacat.  He then started referring to him as Osama.  

If someone's username really was Osamacat you can understand him having to expect to be referred to as Osama.  But if it's not you can equally understand his pointing out that referring to him as Osama is incorrect.  You can even understand (in the current world climate) how he might find it objectionable (without regard to intent, it just simply might be perceived as objectionable).

After a couple of "Osama" references the user pointed out the mistake.  He did it politely.  Didn't flame anyone in the process.  Said nothing derogatory or ill in any way about any other user.  Chip (a user with much experience here) responded to the new user by telling him not to be bitchy.  The entire response was, quite frankly, ungentlemanly and unnecessarily sharp.  If Chip had just taken a moment to notice or consider that he might be misusing the name it would have ended there.  Instead he chose to verbally slap at the person who had simply corrected him for using his name improperly.  Hubbard then wrote something in the same vein in support of Chip and the groundwork was laid for an exchange that might be unpleasant and was certainly unnecessary.

I saw the exchange.   I felt it could possibly be an issue.  I thought best approach was just bringing it to the attention of the person that seemed to both the source of the problem and the most likely gentleman to easily solve it.  In this case that would have been Chip.  I sent him this private message:

Good afternoon Chip,

Just doing a bit of quiet private moderating here.  You'd written:

"So I guess it's never going to change, I try to help you and you just bit#h about your handle."

Think about cutting the guy just a bit of slack.  He's new after all.  He'd only made a relatively mundane remark after being called "Osama."   And that remark from him really didn't seem bitchy.  

Even if he had seemed a bit bitchy I'm not sure being so after being teased in comparison to Osama bin Laden would have been totally unjustified.  After all, some simply won't accept or recognize what you might mean as good natured teasing as quickly or readily as might others.

The other gentleman hadn't complained.  Hadn't said anything at all.  Just trying to point something out in a friendly manner and nip it in the bud before it might get out of hand.

Have a good day,
Don

That was all I sent him.  It is completely professional and polite and extends the courtesy of bring the issue to his attention first.  Not an ill word was spoken or suggested.  I didn't even consider the possibility of there being anything ill or untoward coming from this as I didn't realize there were any ill feelings pending between he and I.  Apparently I was wrong because this was his response to me:

Don

What you have read and are trying to moderate is just one post that was just written this afternoon.
The power you seem to think you posses as a moderator appears to have gone to your head.

If your going to do any moderating then read ALL of the post that back up his conversations with me.

Also for example, Two Lane Rider is your handle, everyone calls you TwoLane, 103Thunder is called 103T, JCZ is called JC, so now you want to have issue with me because I called Osamacat  Osama. Get a life Don and moderate what needs to be moderated and don't be so petty. Don't make an issue out of something that's not there.
I find it stupid that you bring up the Bin Laden angle. But remember that Osama is in Osamacats name. I didn't make it up.  

I suggest you leave me alone till there is an issue that needs to be moderated. If the earlier issue about your sexual orientation that I wanted nothing to do with still bugs you then REMEMBER, that's your problem. I still want nothing to do with that lifestyle and believe this site is not the place to flaunt it.  

I believe your PM to me HAS overstepped your responsibility to this site and it clearly shows me that you have issues with me concerning our earlier discussions on the above mentioned matters and are holding that as a grudge.

In the future I suggest you discuss with magoo, 103T or JC should you feel that something I wrote needs to be discussed or moderated. Should you want to discuss this further then I suggest that we could have a conference call and I will ask Naitram to be included.  After all, he's the final judge as to how issues are to be handled.

Until that becomes necessary, leave me alone!  

Chip
HD2003

So the first harsh words spoken were those of the supposedly injured party here.  Chip is completely correct that just missing a letter in the name is no big deal.  But the reactions that came from it did lay the potential for being unpleasant; especially after a third party joined in the fray.

No abuse of a moderator's role was exercised.  There was no damned "power trip."  In fact the only editing that was eventually done was 103's work to simply remove Omsacat's post correcting Chip and the editing of Chip's and Hubbard's posts to eliminate the Osama reference.   Suggesting someone being on a power trip is simply asinine.

Tell me this DJ, you suggested that moderators here not do the task they've been asked to do.  That such work all devolve on Naitram.  If a watch Lieutenant gets a complaint from a citizen about a Sergeant on the street are the responsibilities delegated to that Sergeant pulled and it is automatically assumed that the Sergeant can't exercise the responsibilites delegated to him?  That is, after all, what you're suggesting here.  In fact the Sergeant or anyone else to whom some responsibility has been delegated simply can not back away.  If he does then the next person that mouths off will know he's got a free ride.  And that, basically, is how I responded to Chip's response to me.

I think it's important for everyone to know the full context of this discussion so that they understand what has transpired and arent' concerned about the moderators hiding in a dark room and conspiring against them (intimations and suggestions of power trips to the contrary).  To do that, however, it seems I have to continue in a second post.  This one is full.....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2005, 11:41:34 PM »

Part II:

So here was my response to Chip's response:

Chip,
I wasn't the only person that thought the thread was beyond the pale of what should be expected here.  It was discussed with another moderator.  He agreed with me.  He was concerned about it even before I'd seen it.  And, yes, I'd read the entire thread to see if there was context to justify your response.  I didn't think there was.  In as friendly and respectful a way as possible I apprized you of that fact.  That you did not or could not accept it as being written that way is your problem and not mine.

Also, for what it's worth, the user's handle is not Osamacat as you seem to think.  It is Osmacat.

As I said, another moderator had seen the exchange in question just before I had and was simply going to edit or  remove the ostensibly offensive posts without bringing it to your attention first; as is his privilege here.  I was at least giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that, with the chance to reflect, you'd understand what was being pointed out.  That is a courtesy I will extend again in the future should a similar circumstance arise.

The other moderator later decided that the chance for the thread getting out hand was too significant and edited/deleted anyway.   Sorry, but more than just me saw the language and was concerned.

Two things in closing.  This had nothing to do with our prior exchange.  This was simply performing the duty I've been asked to do here.  That it involved you was unfortunate.  That it involved you was also irrelevant.

As for leaving you alone as per your request; I'll certainly do that.  That will happen, however, only up until such a point that my duties as a moderator here suggest I shouldn't.  Should such a time occur I'll then be writing to you as respectfully and in as friendly a manner as I did today.  You'll just have to accept that as a fact of participation until such a time as Naitram asks me to leave or he asks me step down as a moderator.

Good day,
Don Carey

I responded to and explained what had been done regarding each of his suggestions.  I explained that I had no intention of engaging him but that this lack of intention to engage him did not mean that I would neglect the moderator's task that had been asked of me should a problem again arise.  And that's it.......

So, Dave, now you have the full context.  You asked what other's opinions are.  One is that you didn't have a reason to be the third man in here.  Two is that you're smart enough to realize you should have at least made sure you knew all the facts from everyone's perspective before jumping in if just had to be a third man in.  Third opinion is that the whole thing is just absolutely stupid and stems from someone being too thin skinned to take a joke, too unwilling to be politely and simply corrected, so self-righteous that he's got to make a big deal of being the injured party after the fact, or simply unable after recognizing he might have fouled up somewhere along the way to say "oh, sorry guys, and back away.  

Fourth opinion, this is a friendly little chat site for Christ's (sorry Naitram) sake.  Nothing here should be this big of a damn deal, there sure as hell is no reason for anyone to feel as threatened by ANYTHING that goes on here as some seem to.

Finally, where were you really engaging this topic as you did?   I can't imagine you're really suggesting First Amendment rights as anything other than a tongue in cheek reference because I know you know that the Amendment applies to public and not private speech.   You also understand the guidelines of private property, which is what this site is and was being administred as under Naitram's rules for his property.  So if you were just having fun or thinking it'd be a kick to stir things up a little; that's actually ok.  But (to offer the asked for opinion) do it on topics that everyone is having fun with and are recognizing as fun and not in the middle of something or for the purpose of unfriendly.  

That last part I'll say for everyone.  There's no reason to be a third man in.  If even hockey frowns on it we shouldn't do it here.  If you see something that might be the beginning of a squabble between a couple of people just let it be.  It'll die on its own quickly and easily if you just leave it alone.  But it only takes one fool to side with one or the other and start something unpleasant.

So, opinions? That's them.  At least now you've got the entire context to proceed from if you just have to keep spinning things up.  The whole thing is cracked.  And with that I'm outta here; for a few days anyway.  Gotta find someplace where the testosterone level is lower, the tolerance is greater, and fun and fellowship are the goals.  In other words someplace like what this place used to be.

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2005, 06:53:04 AM »

Part II:

this is a friendly little chat site for Christ's (sorry Naitram) sake.  Nothing here should be this big of a damn deal, there sure as hell is no reason for anyone to feel as threatened by ANYTHING that goes on here as some seem to.

Don, I will not drag this out... you made some excellent points, and you rightfully have the last word on this, and I do apologize for having caused so much work for you....

BUT THAT'S MY POINT EXACTLY.  Nothing here should be perceived as threatening!

The bottom line is, if Neal wants things deleted... they will continue to be.  It's HIS call entirely.  And I respect that.  You need to remember though the position you are in as a watch commander is dangerous... and the flack you will receive for keeping the troops in line.  It's an inherent job risk sir, sorry.  Been there... done that.

I just think we should all try to be less sensitive... IT'S JUST WORDS!   And if we ARE less sensitive, things won't need to be deleted.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

But for clarification.... my original post was meant somewhat in jest.  Neal's response (which was basically, don't worry about it), and my still lingering thoughts of JC deleting things that distracted from his oh-so-important thread set me off.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 08:08:51 AM by DJW »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2005, 08:23:46 AM »

To  103T
I am disappointed in you as I said in my e-mail for your handling of this matter. I consider you a good friend and a great asset to this site. But you eagerness to delete without consulting first the person who was wrong has made this a mess. If you had contacted me first and discussed this the outcome would be different. Even in TwoLanes message to me there was NO discussion that I had spelled that name wrong. Only after you deleted mine and Hubbards post did you send me a message. That is wrong! As a moderator you do not have to discuss first before deleting. That also is wrong!
If Naitram decides to keep things like they are then hopefully he will ask the moderators to discuss first before deleting.

HD2003 (can I still call you Chip?),

There are a boatload of things I'd like to say about this incident, but I will continue to bite my tongue because I think that is in the best interest of the site.  But just one more reminder, even though 2lane spelled it out completely above, YOUR POST WAS NOT DELETED, just edited to remove what Don and I (and ultimately all the Moderators) agreed was offensive/rude/disrespectful.

Brian

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2005, 08:28:09 AM »

DJW
  I had your back but you don't need any help with the wrong coast

I remain  OTIS

[smiley=beerchug.gif]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 21 queries.