Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would like critique on this work I'm thinking of having done..  (Read 1015 times)

ace07fxdl

• Full CVO Member

when I go in for my Filter shell recall work monday the dealer wants to do my product notice 0906 work also. He has both kits in stock for me. I was really thinking about having them do the Timkin conversion, a S&S crank and adjustable pushrods. I'm not made of money but I want to do this right while they've got my top end apart for 0906. Where can I get a S&S crank and what other work would be good to have done while my bikes in for this warranty work? I have 3,500 miles on my SERK4 and have no leaks-yet. Thanks!

2008 FLHRSE4 SERK
Twilight Blue & Candy Cobalt

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Would like critique on this work I'm thinking of having done..
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 09:03:44 PM »

when I go in for my Filter shell recall work monday the dealer wants to do my product notice 0906 work also. He has both kits in stock for me. I was really thinking about having them do the Timkin conversion, a S&S crank and adjustable pushrods. I'm not made of money but I want to do this right while they've got my top end apart for 0906. Where can I get a S&S crank and what other work would be good to have done while my bikes in for this warranty work? I have 3,500 miles on my SERK4 and have no leaks-yet. Thanks!

Your dealer can order the crank. But first find out if you still have a w.....ty before you go that route. I doubt by adding an S&S crank that you'll keep it. If they'll do their new Timken conversion and install the crank, and still w.....ty it, you're pretty lucky. If you have good runout, I'm not sure I'd tear it apart for the bottom end work. You say you're having them do the 0906 which implies you're doing w....ty work and leaving it fairly stock.

If you are going to do it, my S&S crank was around $1200. Plus what ever they charge you for the Timken, probably around 300 bucks. But the labor to build the entire engine bottom end and pulling the motor will be on you too.

So, if you are gonna do that, FTW and build the motor right, including a GOOD top end! ;)

Hoist! 8)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 12:34:48 AM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »

an s&s crank is a nice piece, but still not bulletproof...there are a few good machine shops that specialize in crank work...darkhorse(hoban brothers) and falicon are the most popular...they can fix your stock crank for a lot less than buying an aftermarket one...I agree with hoist that this is a good opportunity for you to upgrade the performance of your motor...in my opinion the best upgrade is to change the cams to something like zippers 575 or t-man 525
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:41:28 PM »

might as well drop the loot for a Jims and get it over with IMO.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.