Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where did the name "Deuce" come from?  (Read 18368 times)

SE2DEUCECOBALT

Where did the name "Deuce" come from?
« on: August 10, 2008, 11:54:46 PM »

Does anyone know how Harley came up with the name "Deuce?" I just bought a 2004 SE Deuce and have no idea where the name came from. I have tried searching on Google, but no luck.

Thanks,
Vince

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Where did the name "Deuce" come from?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:20:17 AM »

I've got a non-SE '02. No idea where the name came from but I'm sure someone here does. Nice looking bike! & welcome aboard!
AJ

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:27:47 AM »

It was introduced in 2000 and was named for the year 2000 new millenium.  I had a 2000 FXSTD for 7 years.  Nice ride, sold it to a friend. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:58:25 AM »

It was introduced in 2000 and was named for the year 2000 new millenium.  I had a 2000 FXSTD for 7 years.  Nice ride, sold it to a friend. 

Then it makes sense to assume that it was Y Deuce K compliant!  :huepfenlol2: :orange:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

SE2DEUCECOBALT

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 10:20:33 AM »

Now I know, thank you skreminegul07. It's amazing that I can find just about anything with Google, but I couldn't find that.

AJ, You have a great bike!! I want to trade up to an SE-UC so my wife can ride too. She is miserable on that little seat that comes on the deuce and I know she will be comfortable on an UC. I just saw an '07 in Oregon with 3k for 28.5. Sounds like a good deal, but not the best time for me right now. Maybe before next summer I'll find another good deal. I could get a non-SE, but I love the looks of the SE package, not to mention the bigger motor!

Be safe,
Vince

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 11:37:55 AM »

Now I know, thank you skreminegul07. It's amazing that I can find just about anything with Google, but I couldn't find that.

AJ, You have a great bike!! I want to trade up to an SE-UC so my wife can ride too. She is miserable on that little seat that comes on the deuce and I know she will be comfortable on an UC. I just saw an '07 in Oregon with 3k for 28.5. Sounds like a good deal, but not the best time for me right now. Maybe before next summer I'll find another good deal. I could get a non-SE, but I love the looks of the SE package, not to mention the bigger motor!

Be safe,
Vince

Thanks Vince. The Deuce is a great around town bike. Every time I ride it I'm remembered why I don't sell it. It's just too much fun. However, for longer rides and the comfort of you CFO/BSR (Chief Financial Opinionator / Back Seat Rider) the SEUC is hard to beat! By next Spring I'm sure the prices will have dropped a little more. A friend just told me that a SEUC2 just went for $27.7k.
AJ

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 02:33:09 PM »

The word duece cannot help but remind one of the term "duece coupe" a two-door hardtop that in most cases was hot-rodded, stretched, and lowered. This is exactly the image Harley believes its buyers are attracted to. Combine this with the fact that Harleys have two cylinders, and you have the perfect moniker for the stretched-tank design we know as the Duece.  A computer program could have come up with it.

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 02:12:55 PM »

I am glad to get a idea of where the name came from, I read a book about the history of Harley and they did not say much about the Deuce  :nixweiss:

All I know is that I love this bike!  It makes me look forward to coming to work and the ride home is just a joy!  Can't say it enough it is just so much fun to ride...
 :2vrolijk_21:
SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 12:01:26 AM »

The word deuce cannot help but remind one of the term "deuce coupe" a two-door hardtop that in most cases was hot-rodded, stretched, and lowered. This is exactly the image Harley believes its buyers are attracted to. Combine this with the fact that Harleys have two cylinders, and you have the perfect moniker for the stretched-tank design we know as the Duece.  A computer program could have come up with it.

I got curious and searched around until I found this thread on another forum  The guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about and therefore AirCooled is pretty much right:

http://www.cyclespot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12541

'How the Deuce got it's name"
To any of you out there who have been wondering how or why the Deuce was named as such, I finally got hold of someone at HD and found out that back when Willie G. was finalizing the design of this model, he wanted to call it something that was in sync with "the Little Deuce Coupe" of years ago. So he affectionately named it the Deuce. And that's the story as was told to me directly from HD. Even my dealer didn't know why it was called the Deuce and nobody in my chapter did either. So now those of us who didn't know, do know. We all own a small piece of Harley history now as this model is no longer in Harley's lineup. I was very fortunate to have purchased my '07 in Black Cherry Pearl and also found out that there were only 186 Deuces produced in that color out of a total of 3240 Deuces produced and sold worldwide. You can bet that when the time comes for me to sell this one, I will demand a good price for it............

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 03:59:40 PM »

Another possible reason:

There are several Harley-Davidson models with the Softail frame, including the Softail Standard, Custom, Springer Softail, Heritage Softail, Heritage Springer, Night Train, Deluxe, Deuce, and Fatboy. These motorcycles have the same engine, transmission and frame with the exception of the Deuce, which has a 2" backbone stretch, but differ in the choice of fork, wheels and accessories.
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.