Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Cause of misfire/elect.failure/???  (Read 42994 times)

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI LAVA RED SUNGLO
    • CVO3: 1984 FLHX SHOVELHEAD Special Edition EG
Cause of misfire/elect.failure/???
« on: August 16, 2008, 12:17:42 AM »

The other day I changer the engine oil, trans oil, air filter and spark plugs. Since then(and it may have nothing to do with the changes) I have had an intermitting problem. What happens is while riding, all of a sudden the bike cuts out. It's like your turning the key off and on. It also could be described like your running on one cylinder. BUT, just last night as it was getting dark I saw the instrument lights dimming and getting bright , back and forth. Also as the engine was puttering, I saw the tach jumping say from 2K to 5K to 3K back and forth. My Bud Hoist said to start new with a new battery as the one I have is probably 2-3 yrs. old-One possibility. My other bud, 103thunder(Brian) said maybe its the regulator. Thats a second possibility. My other buddy, who's an auto mechanic and has his own shop says it sounds like it could be the Primary Ignition Pick Up. He thinks it could be that but not absolutely sure. But because the tach jumps high and low without the engine reving any higher, it could be that. He also had another reason that I don't remember, lol--duh. I brought the bike to a shop to  have the tire replaced and they checked all the wire connections and found nothing wrong. It seems to happen after riding for awhile. The repair guy said I should bring the bike back ane he'll ride if for 20 25 miles and see if it happens to him. I'm set to try the primary ign. p/u but would hate to spend $170.00 @HD if it's not the problem. Hoist, Maybe Jim in CA could give advise?? Does anyone else have any Ideas???         
Thanks in Advance, George :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 07:58:56 AM by gflvette2 »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Cause of misfire/elect.failure/???
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 07:39:55 AM »

Stator or voltage regulator?? :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 08:29:57 AM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Get the battery first. Check your plugs. Could be the coil. Or bring it to Vern! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 08:54:43 AM »

".........I brought the bike to a shop to  have the tire replaced and they checked all the wire connections and found nothing wrong......."

even though they checked all the wires....I would check the wires leading to your coil in the back, the eyelits could be coming apart or frail there.....get a huge light and a magnifying glass and look there first....make sure those nuts are tight to those leads in the back of the coil.

Next you have very few sensors on this bike but one you do have is the cam position/vehicle altitude Sensor that's relating back to RPM's you may have an issue here.

The key is this is happening when it's warm, not cold.....so if I were you.....get a long sleeve shirt on with gloves and get a "poker' stick to poke around a bit and when it starts doing it on the road pull over safely and while the bike is idling see if you can poke around at some of the wiring and see if you can recreate the missing or if you can stop the missing....ie: cause then reverse the cause persay.

This is going to be a process of elimination so let's begin the attack.....keep us posted we will get this figured out.

Regards,

Tim

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 09:01:24 AM »

Get the battery first. Check your plugs. Could be the coil. Or bring it to Vern! ;)

Hoist! 8)
He already mentioned that you said that in his first post along w/asking for any other ideas. I mentioned stator because I know when my stator went bad on my Fatboy I noticed weird electrical things going on.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »

He already mentioned that you said that in his first post along w/asking for any other ideas. I mentioned stator because I know when my stator went bad on my Fatboy I noticed weird electrical things going on.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

You've just got a phobia to changing batteries!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;)

But you can't troubleshoot anything electrical til you know you have a good battery! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 09:05:10 AM »

You've just got a phobia to changing batteries!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;)

But you can't troubleshoot anything electrical til you know you have a good battery! ;)

Hoist! 8)
Negative don't have any phobia's at all. He was asking for other ideas and I was giving them. I'm not stuck on certain things like some people. ;) :)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 09:06:58 AM »

Hoist! 8)
Add to that a bad stator or voltage regulater can kill a battery. I know that for a fact because when my stator went bad it ruined the battery.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 09:07:20 AM »

Negative don't have any phobia's at all. He was asking for other ideas and I was giving them. I'm not stuck on certain things like some people. ;) :)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Seems ya are! ::) :P ;D

Hoist! 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 09:11:32 AM »

Seems ya are! ::) :P ;D

Hoist! 8)
Again your ability to read interpret the written word (yours or others) is failing you. I never said that it couldn't be the battery I was giving other ideas like the original poster asked. But again I know you'll have some comment/post after this, because that's what you do. You talk a lot but you don't listen, and because I have a more respect for Neal's house (forum) then obviously some do then I'll not post what I really think nor will I comment any more on your ridiculous posts. Have a great day. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 09:12:42 AM »

Again your ability to read interpret the written word (yours or others) is failing you. I never said that it couldn't be the battery I was giving other ideas like the original poster asked. But again I know you'll have some comment/post after this, because that's what you do. You talk a lot but you don't listen, and because I have a more respect for Neal's house (forum) then obviously some do then I'll not post what I really think nor will I comment any more on your ridiculous posts. Have a great day. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Finally! ::) :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 09:52:05 AM »

Hello All, Thanks for all the advise as I like to get all sides of all opinions. Really, Thank You All! Now, I just got off the phone with HD and they stated it sounds like there could be a short in the wires leading up to the tach. He said check that first. Also, see if the battery is charging with a volt meter as you all know.  So the search begins and I'll keep you updated and sincerely appreciate all the advise I can get. You guys are the best. Thanks Again, George

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 11:10:08 AM »

UPDATE:  I just removed the three wires to the tach at the tach. I started the engine and ran it for a few mins. The engine was already warm. After a few mins. at a high RPM it happened again. The lights were dimming and the engine was running and sounded like a "brrrrrr".  I did what HD told me to do. I checked the battery before I started this and it was charging. Between 13.5-14.5 V. :nixweiss: All the wires looked good, no freying. The regulator felt hot. I wonder.........? How do you check a regulator?  Thanks, G.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »

George, the voltage regulator getting warm in and of itself is not unusual.  It's mounted where it is (on the front of the bike) and with cooling fins on it for just such a reason.  Still, the symptoms you're talking about and the deal with the headlight dimming makes me think the voltage regulator is the problem.  If it was the stator I don't think you'd be getting good vaules at the battery like you are.  I'm sure there are some values you could check going into/out of the regulator, but the service manual I have doesn't specify anything.  I would also say, it's sorta rare for a regulator to fail, but you never know.  Could also explain why it's working fine until it heats up. :nixweiss:

Maybe your local dealer or another shop has a known good one you could swap it out with to see what happens?

RedFXR2

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »

George.  Go back to your first post.  All of the symptoms you describe happened to me last year and I was completely convinced it was an electrical problem.  But it wasn't.

I discovered that I had some rusty gunk (from a gas can I had been using to top off my tank) in my tank/filter screen/petcock.  Apparently the tach jumps when the engine misfires, but there was nothing wrong with my tach or anything else electrical.

After several miles of pregressively worst skipping and missing, and tach jumping all over the place, I coasted to a stop on a rural highway.  Finally got it started again and rode home--only missed a couple of times.  The problem was very intermittent.  Once I discovered what it was it all made sense.  I was clearing the petcock by turning it on and off (like I did on the side of the road). The gunk was very fine and liquid-like so it mostly made it through the filter screen, petcock and even the carb, but not always.

It won't cost you a dime to drain the gas tank and pull the petcock off to check the  filter screen.  If you find anything, dismantle the petcock also to check it.

Reading your post makes me remember how totally convinced I was that I had an electrical problem....that I didn't have.

[edit to add]  It looks like batteries are a sensitive subject ( :o) but you mentioned that yours is 2-3 years old.  It might be overkill but I replace my battery every two years.  I ride mostly in the boondocks and don't want to hike home so I figure the cost of a new battery before it's necessary is cheap insurance.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 03:57:13 PM by RedFXR2 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 03:57:57 PM »

. . .

[edit to add]  It looks like batteries are a sensitive subject ( :o) but you mentioned that yours is 2-3 years old.  It might be overkill but I replace my battery every two years.  I ride mostly in the boondocks and don't want to hike home so I figure the cost of a new battery before it's necessary is cheap insurance.

:huepfenlol2:    :huepfenlol2:    :huepfenlol2:

RedFXR2

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 04:01:40 PM »

You laughing at my battery replacement practices? :nixweiss:
 >:( >:( >:(

;D ;D ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 04:02:32 PM »

Now, now Brian, I'll be good! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

I don't think that's the case Mike! And I have the same philosophy myself for batteries! ;)

Hoist! 8)

RedFXR2

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 04:06:21 PM »

Now, now Brian, I'll be good! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

I don't think that's the case Mike! And I have the same philosophy myself for batteries! ;)

Hoist! 8)

I was just joshing with both of you. ;D

And for that matter I was joshing with Dood, too. ;D

Kum bay yah, my friend, kum bay yahhhhhh. ::)

;D ;D ;D

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »

That is funny, because they definitely aren't to me. ;) :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 04:11:37 PM »

You laughing at my battery replacement practices? :nixweiss:
 >:( >:( >:(

;D ;D ;D

Actually, I didn't get past the mid point of the first sentence! :huepfenjump3: :drink: :huepfenlol2:

2 years, if using a BT, may be overkill, but 3 years regardless seems about right.  If you use a BT, you can tell about how good the battery still is by the amount of time it takes to get to full charge.  Noticed earlier in the season the SEEG taking 6+ hours before the green light went from flashing to solid green after a ride whereas the FXR3 or SERG (new batteries in both this spring) got there in less than 2 hours, usually 1.   Decided then, time for a new SEEG battery! :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »

Actually, I didn't get past the mid point of the first sentence! :huepfenjump3: :drink: :huepfenlol2:

2 years, if using a BT, may be overkill, but 3 years regardless seems about right.  If you use a BT, you can tell about how good the battery still is by the amount of time it takes to get to full charge.  Noticed earlier in the season the SEEG taking 6+ hours before the green light went from flashing to solid green after a ride whereas the FXR3 or SERG (new batteries in both this spring) got there in less than 2 hours, usually 1.   Decided then, time for a new SEEG battery! :2vrolijk_21:

Never thought of it that away. I'm still good to go then mine is usually green by the time (about 1 -2 hours) I let the bike cool off to come back to wipe it down. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 04:20:58 PM »

Never thought of it that away. I'm still good to go then mine is usually green by the time (about 1 -2 hours) I let the bike cool off to come back to wipe it down. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Disclaimer to earlier post: Your experience may differ! :nervous:  But, just keep goin', Gary! :2vrolijk_21:  Maybe you'll win a free BT or H-D battery for going the longest! :huepfenlol2:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 04:24:41 PM »

Disclaimer to earlier post: Your experience may differ! :nervous:  But, just keep goin', Gary! :2vrolijk_21:  Maybe you'll win a free BT or H-D battery for going the longest! :huepfenlol2:

I'll be the "poster biker" for them. :P :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 04:27:49 PM »

Seriously though if it lasts until July '09 (five years) I will change it out. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »

:nixweiss:

It might be overkill but I replace my battery every two years.  I ride mostly in the boondocks and don't want to hike home so I figure the cost of a new battery before it's necessary is cheap insurance.

Hmmmmm let's see here.....in 6 years you will have replaced your battery 3 times at aprx $80 - $90 per battery....speaking of insurance....IF I could just get Delta to OK me carrying a battery on board....LOL I could get 1 FREE YEAR OF Motorcycle NSURANCE!!!!  Mike.....you live in Florida....not Alaska....LOL.....

YOU KNOW I AM TEASIN.....BUT EVERY TWO YEARS!!!!  Let's see, yes I live in Colorado......and do have a "heated" garage....and I don't even think about replacing a battery until after year 5....and I try to get 6 out of it....I know 6 is stretching it a bit.....lol.....ok ok ok ok ~~~~~~>  Feels like Joe Pesci this thread isn't about batteries....and I think you are right it's apparently a "sensitive" subject.....but with all of that "acid" it's bound to get irritable at some point....

:bananarock:

Back to our regularly scheduled "thread"......

Regards,

Tim

RedFXR2

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 05:15:47 PM »

.....you live in Florida....not Alaska....LOL.....

YOU KNOW I AM TEASIN.....BUT EVERY TWO YEARS!!!! 

Okay, okay.  Maybe I'll try to get THREE years out of the battery I have now. :nervous:

But I'm calling you if I get marooned in the swamp somewhere. ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 05:19:15 PM »

Okay, okay.  Maybe I'll try to get THREE years out of the battery I have now. :nervous:

But I'm calling you if I get marooned in the swamp somewhere. ;D

Hey Mike, you're not alone here! I'd rather have the extra security too. I've been stranded with a bad batery before. If it gave ya notice, I'd try to stretch it. But one morning you can jump on and BINGO! No juice!!! No fun on the road! It ain't worth taking the risk to me for 90 bucks every 2 years! ;)

Hoist! 8)

RedFXR2

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2008, 05:29:45 PM »

But one morning you can jump on and BINGO! No juice!!! No fun on the road! It ain't worth taking the risk to me for 90 bucks every 2 years! ;)

Never mind what I just said about trying for three years.  I'm back to two. ;D

Actually jumping on in the morning would at least mean I was most likely at home.  Dead batteries out in the backcountry at sunset is much worse.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 09:15:52 PM »

Keep the battery fully charged at all times (never let it sit partially or completely discharged), and unless you get the one in a thousand that just dies for the hell of it there is no reason you can't get 4 years from a modern AGM battery.  I got 6 years from the one in my Dyna, and it was still going strong when I traded it in.  Of course, if I hadn't sold the bike I did plan to replace the battery during that 6th year. 

You just gotta have faith. 

BTW, always use the ones from H-D.  The MoCo would never sell you something of inferior quality.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 09:18:28 PM »

Oh, and btw, rather than throw away a perfectly good battery why not perform a simple load test?  That is the definitive way to tell if the battery is good, marginal, or in need of life support.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RedFXR2

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 09:26:19 PM »

BTW, always use the ones from H-D.  The MoCo would never sell you something of inferior quality.

I do always use HD batteries.  And I think you just hit on why I replace them well before I should have to. ;)

I did have a MC battery fail prematurely once, and it was not a HD battery.  Drag Specialties equivalent.  And luckily I was home and the only consequence was disappointment.  But that battery did sit on a battery tender whenever the bike wasn't in use and was only a little over a year old.  BT light glowing green right up until the time I hit the starter button and got the dreaded barely-turning-over sound.  Anyway, between that incident (that made me think...what if I was out there somewhere) and some really inconvenient car battery failures, I decided some years ago that I would replace them (car and bike)  prematurely instead of risk a failure at a bad time.  And no, I don't replace car batteries every two years.  More like 4 for them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 09:32:17 PM by RedFXR2 »

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 09:46:35 PM »

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS. YOU ALL ARE THE BEST. I even got a few laughs reading all these replies.  Believe me, I respect and value all the info you guys have given me. Tomorrow I'm going to change the exchange the battery from my Ultra and see if it still happens. If it does, the next thing is to do what Mike said. I'll drain the fuel, remove the petcock and look at the screen. I think all of these ideas are good and valid. So I'll go one step at a time until it is resolved. I hope that tomorrow I can say" HEY IT'S ALL GOOD NOW", LOL. Thanks Again men!   

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2008, 05:28:48 PM »

n

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2008, 08:10:17 PM »

Well Here's the update again. I say again because I already wrote this and I guess it's lost somewhere. OK Here we go again. I removed the petcock and found some hair like fibers and something like a strip of paint/tape?????? I then cleaned the opening of the tank and reached in as far as possible. When I looked in I saw a more of the same stuff--like tape stuff, gray in color. I replaced the petcock, filled tank with some gas and it started up. I thought the problem was solved. But, after a few minutes it started again. This time instead of the lights getting dim and bright, they were now turning off, for say 3-4 seconds then back on. So I checked the coil with a screwdriver against some metal and saw a yellowish spark. I was expecting more of a blueish but.... So maybe its the coil not putting out enough spark. I also took out the new plugs and they were fouled, very fouled but not wet. I put the old ones back in and tried to start it again. After several attempts, it finally started. It ran for a few minutes and it turned off. I thought maybe the tank /screen is blocked again. So again I removed the petcock and the screen was clean. I just hope that its working right now. I hope I didn't screw it up. So I tried to start it again after adding more gas. This time it didn't start. I put the trickle charger on a few times during this process to keep the battery alive. so now at 8:07pm it's in the shed charging.  I think it might be the coil.  Anyone else have any suggestions?       Thanks, George
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:24:30 PM by gflvette2 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2008, 11:00:12 PM »

George, are you still getting spark?  If so, it's probably not the coil.  Seems like you're going to have to start trying things until you hit on what the problem is.  Did you take it back to the mechanic that changed the fluids and plugs for ya?  Still seems pretty strange that these problems didn't show up until after it was wrenched on.  If you're not comfortable trouble-shooting it yourself, you're probably better off taking it to someone who is. :nixweiss:

RedFXR2

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 09:06:16 AM »

I removed the petcock and found some hair like fibers and something like a strip of paint/tape?????? I then cleaned the opening of the tank and reached in as far as possible. When I looked in I saw a more of the same stuff--like tape stuff, gray in color. .... thought maybe the tank /screen is blocked again. So again I removed the petcock and the screen was clean.

That grey stuff is probably the inner tank sealant peeling off.  I don't know why this happens, but it seems to occur sometimes.  Luckily for me, mine wasn't peeling last time I checked (when I took the petcock off last Fall as described earlier).  Anyway, if it's deteriorating, the loose pieces will continue to slough off from time to time and will likely cause fuel flow problems.  Did you clean the inside of the petcock and blow out the fuel line to the carb?  This stuff can get in there, as well.  Have you looked in the tank from the filler cap to see if you can see any flakes in the gas or loose pieces hanging off the tank?  I know you can't see much from the outside, but I'm afraid that's what's going on.

Youi may have to re-seal the inner tank.  There's a product called Kreem that does this but I've never done the job so don't know any details.  Maybe somebody else has done this and can give you the step-by-step process.  Unless, of course you discover something else that is in fact causing your troubles.

RedFXR2

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 09:24:11 AM »

I removed the petcock and found some hair like fibers and something like a strip of paint/tape?????? I then cleaned the opening of the tank and reached in as far as possible. When I looked in I saw a more of the same stuff--like tape stuff, gray in color.

Taking a step back from my previous post.  George, when you looked into the tank and saw the grey stuff, was it in place on the inner walls of the tank, or did you actually see some peeling/flaking/loose pieces in there?  The inner tank will be grey in color--that's normal--but it should be in place on the walls of the tank, not loose in with the gas.

Even if it's still in place, when you cleaned the filter screen did you also clean the petcock and fuel line?  If you find anything on the screen, and apparently you did, then your really should continue with cleaning the fuel route and clean the petcock and fuel line while you're at it.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 09:29:11 AM »

Yes Mike, I peeled it off the inside of the tank. Also there was some on the screen. I'll do the fuel line next. Thanks, Groege

RedFXR2

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2008, 09:40:14 AM »

Yes Mike, I peeled it off the inside of the tank. Also there was some on the screen.

Unfortunately, you're probably looking at re-applying the gas tank liner sometime soon.  Exactly what happens if you don't, besides periodically having fuel flow troubles, I don't know.  I wouldn't do the re-seal until somebody that has had some experience here speaks up.  But here are the instructions for Kreem to give you an idea of what to expect.  Be careful with the paint.

How to use KREEM Gas Tank Sealer Kit to seal your gas tank

**This procedure is best done outside.

**Remove any petcock, cap and crossover hoses there may be and seal all openings except the fuel inlet.

**DO NOT get any Tank Prep A (diluted or undiluted) on the painted surface of the tank as it will damage the paint!

How Much Do I Need?
For small tanks (1-5 gallon) use 1 pint bottle of Fuel Tank Liner.
For larger tanks use 1 quart of Fuel Tank Liner per 20 gallons of tank capacity.
Thin Fuel Tank Liner with Methyl Ethyl Ketone to brush or spray on.

#1 - Clean and etch the inside of the tank:
The inside of the tank should be completely free and clear of all loose particulates and corrosion.  Even more importantly, it must be totally devoid of any and all oily substances, including any and all traces of gasoline, oil and grease.

Begin Here If Using An Old Or Used Tank - An old or previously used tank may need some extra prep work to get ready for the KREEM treatment.  If your tank is really greasy or very rusty begin with this extra step. If you have a unrusted new tank or lod tank in really good condition skip ahead to the application of the Tank Prep A.

Pour about a pint of liquid degreaser full strength into the tank and slosh vigorously with all the openings capped off.  Do this for several minutes, and don't forget to invert the tank and get all of the surfaces degreased up around the fuel inlet, as well as the very top of the inside of the tank.

If the inside of the tank is really rusty or has particles stuck to the inside surfaces add several loose nuts and bolts to the degreaser to help break loose the surface contaminates.  You may also use a couple 8" lengths of medium size linked chain or anything that will rub against the inner surface and can easily be removed.

Next, add about 1/2 gallon of the hottest water you can get to the degreaser still in the tank and slosh it around again for a few minutes.  After you are quite certain that you've degreased all surfaces pour out the entire mixture and remove anything you inserted to help scour the inside surface (nuts, bolts, chain, etc.).

Now pour about a tablespoon of hand dishwashing liquid and about a gallon of very hot water into the tank and slosh thoroughly.  Follow with as many cold water rinses as necessary to remove all trace of the dishwashing soap.

Now you are ready to use the Tank Prep A (Wash/Cleaner) that came with your KREEM Tank Prep Kit.  This will completely clean and etch the inside surface of the tank.

Begin Here If Using A New Tank - You may begin here with a new tank or begin at the extra cleaning steps listed above if you feel your tank can benefit from the more rigorous cleaning required with old or previously used tanks.

Pour 2 to 2 1/2 gallons (depending on your tank volume) of the hottest water you can get into the tank and add Tank Prep A.  Slosh the mixture around for several minutes being sure to get all inner surfaces etched including the inside top and fuel fill area.  Sit the tank down for several minutes (10 - 15) between sloshings to let the Tank Prep A solution work.  Prop the tank in different positions so the solution contacts all inner surfaces.  Leave a small opening in the fuel filler plug to allow gas that is produced during the etching process to escape.

Carefully pour out the Tank Prep A solution into a container for storage so you may use it in the future.  Flush the tank with cool water.  Inspect the inside of the tank to be sure all rust has been removed and the inner surfaces are etched.  Reapply the Tank Prep A solution if needed.  Flush the tank with cool water until the rinse water no longer foams and all trace of Tank Prep A is eliminated.

#2 - Remove all water from the inside of the tank:
Perform this step in a WELL VENTELATED area.  Immediately pour Tank Prep B (Conditioner) into the tank full strength and slosh it around so it contacts all inside surfaces.  Pour the Tank Prep B out and immediately coat the inside of the tank with Fuel Tank Liner.

#3 - Coating:
Pour entire bottle of Fuel Tank Liner into the tank.  Coat the interior surface by slowly rotating the tank in all directions.  When all interior surfaces have been coated a large excess should remain.  Let the tank stand for 10 minutes with the fuel inlet open.  Seal the fuel inlet and rotate the tank again to recoat all inner surfaces.  Let the tank stand on a different side for 10 minutes with the fuel inlet open.  Repeat this process until the tank has the desired coating.  Do not let the excess Fuel Tank Liner pool and dry.  Drain off excess Fuel Tank Liner for later use.

#4 - Drying/curing time:
Unseal all tank openings.  Allow the coating to air-dry for at least 24 hours in a well-ventilated area.  If possible extend the drying time to 96 hours (4 days).  A nozzle of a low pressure air compressor blowing into the fuel inlet and out another hole can shorten the drying/curing time.

RedFXR2

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2008, 01:06:45 PM »

Another product for tank sealing is POR15.  Some say it works better than Kreem.

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=HDCTRK&dept=12

I'd really be interested in hearing anyinput from anyone who has used either of these.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2008, 01:18:47 PM »

Another product for tank sealing is POR15.  Some say it works better than Kreem.

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=HDCTRK&dept=12

I'd really be interested in hearing anyinput from anyone who has used either of these.

Vern tried Kreem in his shop a few years back and wasn't happy with the results. :nixweiss:

I never heard of Por 15, but that link reads nicely! Those folks appear to specialize in that type of product. Might have some merit. :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

Slowride262

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2008, 11:53:05 AM »

You got a wire grounding out somewhere simple as that.
I had the same thing happen on my 96 RK and it turned out to be the wire that went to the front marker light had
worn through INSIDE the fender.
You Can't Win At A Game Of LOSERS

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2008, 02:01:39 PM »

I have used Kreem in the past with good results.  The key is in following the instructions exactly.  It sounds like this is needed due to what you found in your tank, but I suspect your root problem is electrical.  good luck with the troubleshooting....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2008, 10:35:36 PM »

Thanks sadunbar, I just bought a coil after doing an Ohm test on the origional one that came up bad. So after buying one at HD, I went to my friends garage and he tested the origional coil and is tested good. Needless to say, HD won't take back the new one. It's still wrapped in the box.  Thanks,George
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:39:03 PM by gflvette2 »

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2008, 10:37:33 PM »

Thanks Slowride, I'm going to bring it to my friends garage this week. He'll do a through check up. Regards, George
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 10:40:18 PM by gflvette2 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2008, 12:17:46 AM »

Don't worry George I have a new coil laying around for my RKC, shaking my head....too often everyone assumes the coil only to later discover it's not the coil at all....I read somewhere where 90% of all coils that are sold aren't needed....but heck when the coil does go bad you have one..... :mango:

Coil  _X_   checked off the list.....

so now what's next......come on boys we got to help George out here.....

Hey Mike, so what's the verdict.....I mean what would you guys all do with George's tank problem?  Would you all think about "replacing" it or taking the route of trying the products you mentioned above?  Anyone priced out a new tank for these bikes?

So George what's the check sheet so far look like?

What's been verified to be working? 

Regards,

Tim

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2008, 12:24:26 AM »

You tested the coil. But did you try replacing it with the new one anyway? I've seen them test OK but be a problem. They won't take it back, so give it a try. But you keep saying the lights are dimming too. That still sounds like the charging system. Has everything been checked with that? A short or bad ground is also still possible. And fuel related might be it, but the lights dimming bothers me on that one. But I would clean out the carb, drain and flush the tank, and get fresh fuel in it, since you found all that crap in the tank. That's about all I come up with. ;)

Hoist! 8)

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 06:26:17 AM »

Ignition switch,  conections or wiring to the switch??
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2008, 08:20:02 AM »

There is obviously more than one issue here, but the lights thing is telling you electrical, not fuel.  Yes, the fuel issue needs to be addressed also, but that isn't causing the electrical problem.

I used the Kreem product years ago on a previously uncoated tank, and other than the fact the stuff rapidly turns color in use to an ugly brown it worked fine.  It's a bigger PITA to apply than the literature implies, but it does seal the tank.  The question I would have is how do you intend to remove the existing sealant first?  You won't want to install a new layer of sealant over the old peeling stuff, unless you want it all to continue peeling.  The new stuff needs to bond directly to the metal of the tank. 

Jerry

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2008, 08:27:15 AM »

well, I'll  replace the coil with the new one today. I cleared the fuel line from the carb to the tank. I couldn't get the fuel to flow from the tank to the carb so my bud will do that for me. The new symptoms are that after it starts and runs for a few mins. the just cuts off now and wont restart. I switch the petcock onto reserve and still nothing.  He thinks it might possibly be the fuel flow. But he'll check that too. So today I'll button it all up and he'll take it to his garage.  I think at this point I cant do anymore.  

I dont know if I mentioned this earlier. Someone is interested in my 2005 Ultra. It has 4,800mi. and is mint. Rinehart true duals, power commander, stage I, and chrome accents on all the lights and a little more. I'd really hate to part with it. I know I'll never be able to replace it. I have a feeling that the 2005 happens to be a little different than the 06 because it has no O2 sensors. I'm not  sure that means anything byt its just my feelings.

Best , George    

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2008, 08:29:03 AM »

Thanks guys, I know Ill have to do all the above too.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »

Yes grc,the old liner would be replaced.

Well, I buttoned up and replaced the new coil. I got it started and at say 2700 to 3K or higher rpm's, again the lights flicker. I allowed it to warm up and I noticed that before it stalled, the Idle rpms were starting to raise- like the fuel was leaning out. I would quickly change the petcock to reserve and it will continue to run. switching back and forth. The engine got warm. Now what happens is that when it stalled it wouldn't start in either reserve or run position. Finally got it started with the full choke. Now when it stalls, all the electrical/ lights go out. in about 30-45 seconds they turn back on. I put the BT on and here I am.

Thanks, George   

RedFXR2

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »

Hey Mike, so what's the verdict.....I mean what would you guys all do with George's tank problem?  Would you all think about "replacing" it or taking the route of trying the products you mentioned above?  Anyone priced out a new tank for these bikes?

I'd clear the fuel system and see if the bike would keep running before I messed with the tank, other than to get the loose stuff out of it.

I'd rather not mess with the liner products unless I had to.  Clean it out and run it the way it is for quite a while.  Maybe put a see-through in line filter between the petcock and the carb to monitor stuff getting past the petcock.  I'm sure you could order a pre-painted tank from HD but I'm also sure it would be $$$.  On the other hand, you'd have to be very careful with the liner products or you'd damage the paint and have to fix that, anyway. 

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2008, 10:38:17 AM »

George, the voltage regulator getting warm in and of itself is not unusual.  It's mounted where it is (on the front of the bike) and with cooling fins on it for just such a reason.  Still, the symptoms you're talking about and the deal with the headlight dimming makes me think the voltage regulator is the problem.  If it was the stator I don't think you'd be getting good vaules at the battery like you are.  I'm sure there are some values you could check going into/out of the regulator, but the service manual I have doesn't specify anything.  I would also say, it's sorta rare for a regulator to fail, but you never know.  Could also explain why it's working fine until it heats up. :nixweiss:

Maybe your local dealer or another shop has a known good one you could swap it out with to see what happens?

If your regulator is bad they will probably have to order from the factory as I just went through this myself because no one seems to stock a CHROME one. My symtoms were check engine light and battery light came on as I watched the volt meter drop down to zero and then bounce back as high as 13.75. Only now with new regulator have the same thing going on so back in the shop waiting on an answer. Sure hate to listen to a service writer trying to blow smoke up my azz. Last time had to burn a whole day on the charger before they would even look at it. This time I brought my own battery tender and had them hook it up before I left that way no excuse. Anyway called yesterday to check status and found out service writer had it ready to be torn apart to do the update 905. Almost lost my Baisley worked heads for new stock ones and more. I did not ask for this at all, just want the original issue fixed. I informed her my heads are not leaking now and I have two years to get this done. Trouble is I don't have to ask I know why, bigger warranty money for service writer to get paid commission on. :soapbox: arrrrgggg.

RedFXR2

« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2008, 10:40:41 AM »

I cleared the fuel line from the carb to the tank. I couldn't get the fuel to flow from the tank to the carb so my bud will do that for me. The new symptoms are that after it starts and runs for a few mins. the just cuts off now and wont restart. I switch the petcock onto reserve and still nothing.  

It sounds like you need to clean the petcock and carburetor by dismantling them.  I'd say the fuel is barely flowing, not enough to keep the motor running.  When you get it started, it only runs as long as it takes to empty the fuel bowl.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »

Given what George is communicating about his tank, for "FUTURE" reference....how many of you would simply replace the tank vs trying to put a sealant in the tank?  GRC's post above states what I am thinking as well....how in the heck do you know for sure that you will ever get all of the "loose" stuff freed from within the tank to apply the new sealant in hopes that it will completely reseal the entire tank?

Regards,

"Classic"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2008, 04:29:50 PM »

Could that vacuum diaphragm petcock be bad? Maybe a small hole in the membrane? I never used em. Ripped em off almost immediately. But could that be an issue? Is the vacuum line connected and not leaking? What about VOES? can that cause these symptoms? Just throwing more ideas into the pic! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2008, 04:51:15 PM »

Hey All, They're all good Ideas! I really don't know what the answer is. I looked in the service manual and in the electrical section he has all the values written in. So I guess he had the problem although he denies having any. My bud is leaving his p/u and tomorrow AM I'll bring the bike to him. He's an Auto mech, not a bike mech. But he'll recheck everything and do the right thing.He knows his electronics. I HOPE we'll find the resolution very soon. I'm sure we'll clean the petcock and check all the elect. connections and parts. I want it to be ready for "Joy's arrival" , lol.

Best to all, George

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2008, 09:41:18 PM »

please check my earlier post , clogged pet cocks don't dim lights .....axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2008, 09:47:53 PM »

Gotcha Axel, All the electronics will be checked tomorrow morning. I just hope we find the cause/ electrical fault. JOY IS COMMING HOME SOON. SHE HAS TO MEET HER BROTHER. I DONT WANT HER TO SEE A SICK BRO AND SHE'S READY TO GO!!!!

Best, George

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2008, 09:51:21 PM »

Yeah, seems like it's not getting enough "fire in the hole."  Sounds like it lasts for just a short time, then once the battery/charging system fails, that's it. :nixweiss:  Also, we now know the previous owner was trying to diagnose this as well, given his hand-written notes in the service manual.  I would go down the road of checking all things electrical, first, before the fuel system, based on what's been written so far.

My first bike was an 10 year-old 1980 Yamaha 400 Special.  When I got it, it had a gummed-up fuel system from sitting too long but it still ran if you messed with the choke and throttle enough.  It's hard for me to imagine that the fuel system is so clogged as to keep any fuel at all from entering the carb.  I guess it's possible, but from the decription about how the lights are behaving, it seems more like an electrical gremlin, at least to me. :nixweiss:

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2008, 10:01:39 PM »

I think so too Brian. But I couldn't get the gas to flow from the tank to the carb. I know you have to release the vacuum  thing but I don't know how to do it. That will be checked tomorrow too. I just hope my bud is not too busy to do all this. Usually I do the work under his supervision. Although I saw some tape/paint on the fuel screen and when I wiped the inside the tank and possibly loosened the paint liner, I didn't see anymore after I removed the petcock the 2nd time. I think it's more an electrical problem. Say a prayer for me tonight OK. I need all the Help I could get. TY Brian

Best, G.

RedFXR2

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »

It's hard for me to imagine that the fuel system is so clogged as to keep any fuel at all from entering the carb.  I guess it's possible, but from the decription about how the lights are behaving, it seems more like an electrical gremlin, at least to me. :nixweiss:

This is exactly what I ws thinking as I sat on the shoulder of the road after mine spit and sputtered for about ten miles.  Completely 100% convinced I had an electrical problem.  But nope.

RedFXR2

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2008, 10:53:52 PM »

But I couldn't get the gas to flow from the tank to the carb. I know you have to release the vacuum  thing but I don't know how to do it.

It is true that with the engine off, fuel will not flow from the petcock to the carb.  Unless the vacuum actuated diaphragm is leaking.  The fact that it won't flow when the motor's not running is a good thing.  Means the diaphragm isn't leaking.  You can pull it open with a mityvac, but it's really easy to take the thing apart and clean it as necessary.  Less fiddly than a mityvac. and then you'll know if it needed cleaning or not.

Although I saw some tape/paint on the fuel screen and when I wiped the inside the tank and possibly loosened the paint liner, I didn't see anymore after I removed the petcock the 2nd time.

Exactly what is this "tape" you found?  teflon tape scraps, maybe?  The instructions for a  petcock  specifically tell you not to use any thread sealant on the tank threads.  Could be some of that tape is in the petcock.  It's good that you're not seeing any more peeling liner.  Like I said, I'd leave that alone and just watch to see if you're getting any rust in the tank before I tried to re-line it.

Man, I wish I was up there to mess with this thing.  Good luck and keep us informed.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2008, 11:05:58 PM »

Mike I think it could be the gas too. Today I had it ideling with the choke out and all of a sudden it sounded like it was starting to lean out . So I moved the petcock to the reserve position and it seemed to run like before it was leaning out. That made me think there is also a gas problem.  I hope we could do all this stuff tomorrow. If my bud is not busy, I'm sure we could. Thanks for all your advise Mike, I really appriciate it.

Best, George

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »

Well after three weeks of agony the problem has been resolved and we are now waiting for "JOY" to arrive. Today I brought the bike to me friends garage and as I mentioned previously, he is a great mechanic(besides being a former Marine). He placed a scope and checked all the electronics. We also cleaned the carb, cleaned the jets where we found somemore tank lining, remover the bottom of the carb where the float is and cleaned everything. the electronic problem was the regulator, plain and simple. I didn't get the chrome replacement for ten dollars more because I would have had to wait a week before it came in to HD. But I now have a good running bike. I feel good.The chrome regulator costs $110.00. I asked HD what the cost of a new tank would be. So he looks it up and said it's $1,330.00 and it's obsolete. So when the season is over, The tank will be removed and he has a different method of removing the inside liner, then we will do the Kreem regiment to recoat the tank. He had his tank done using a commercial type lining but the person who did it is now out of business and he don't remember the product used. But he will try to find out the information and we have time before we do it so...... If anyone knows something better than Kreem please advise me. My bud said Kreem is pretty good but there are better products  like that that was used on his tank.  So "Thank You " for all the advise and I'm real happy that the bike is running real good. You Guys are the Best!!!

Best to all of you,

George :apple:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2008, 08:37:55 PM »

Glad to hear you finally got it resolved. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2008, 08:54:59 PM »

LOL!  GD, what did I say from the beginning: regulator! :huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenlol2:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2008, 09:03:12 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Lets see,
A member ask a question as to what caused a problem on his bike.
dOOd answers with reply #1.
Member responds after discovering the cause of the problem.
the electronic problem was the regulator, plain and simple.
Score a big one for the dOOdmeister!

SBB

Note to self,
Consult with dOOd next time before paying $75 an hour for diagnostics.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:05:00 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2008, 09:03:30 PM »

The other day I changer the engine oil, trans oil, air filter and spark plugs. Since then(and it may have nothing to do with the changes) I have had an intermitting problem. What happens is while riding, all of a sudden the bike cuts out. It's like your turning the key off and on. It also could be described like your running on one cylinder. BUT, just last night as it was getting dark I saw the instrument lights dimming and getting bright , back and forth. Also as the engine was puttering, I saw the tach jumping say from 2K to 5K to 3K back and forth. My Bud Hoist said to start new with a new battery as the one I have is probably 2-3 yrs. old-One possibility. My other bud, 103thunder(Brian) said maybe its the regulator. Thats a second possibility. My other buddy, who's an auto mechanic and has his own shop says it sounds like it could be the Primary Ignition Pick Up. He thinks it could be that but not absolutely sure. But because the tach jumps high and low without the engine reving any higher, it could be that. He also had another reason that I don't remember, lol--duh. I brought the bike to a shop to  have the tire replaced and they checked all the wire connections and found nothing wrong. It seems to happen after riding for awhile. The repair guy said I should bring the bike back ane he'll ride if for 20 25 miles and see if it happens to him. I'm set to try the primary ign. p/u but would hate to spend $170.00 @HD if it's not the problem. Hoist, Maybe Jim in CA could give advise?? Does anyone else have any Ideas???         
Thanks in Advance, George :nixweiss:

:huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock:  What do I win, George?!?!? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: ;D

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2008, 09:04:54 PM »

Lets see,
Member responds after discovering the cause of the problem.Score a big one for the dOOdmeister!

SBB

Note to self,

Lucky guess. :nixweiss: I'll be the first to admit wrenching isn't my game. Much better figuring out 'puter stuff.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2008, 09:05:38 PM »

Lets see,
Member responds after discovering the cause of the problem.Score a big one for the dOOdmeister!

SBB

Note to self,

Exsqeeze me?!?!  The answer was in the original post?!?! :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2008, 09:06:37 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21: :bananarock:  What do I win, George?!?!? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: ;D

You still got your butt in one piece isn't that enough? ;) ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2008, 09:10:44 PM »

Exsqeeze me?!?!  The answer was in the original post?!?! :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

Well chit, your right!
          :oops:

New note to self,
Ask Brian first and send him $75.
If he's not sure, call dOOd and get advice from him.
Try to negotiate lower rate of $65 since I done spent $75 on Brian.

:2vrolijk_21:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2008, 09:12:01 PM »

You still got your butt in one piece isn't that enough? ;) ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

:nixweiss:  Somebody been in the chicken wine?!?!  :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: :oops:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »

Well chit, your right!
          :oops:

New note to self,
Ask Brian first and send him $75.
If he's not sure, call dOOd and get advice from him.
Try to negotiate lower rate of $65 since I done spent $75 on Brian.

Chithead!!!!! :ROFLOL:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2008, 09:15:19 PM »

:nixweiss:  Somebody been in the chicken wine?!?!  :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2: :oops:

Nope, been awhile. :-\

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »

You guys are HOT S*IT, You all are great!!! Lots of fun hearing /reading all your comments. But remember, as Mike said "the fuel tank" I still have a project ahead. I 'll be OK for a while but it will get done at the end of the season.  If anyone knows of a better product then Kreem, (which has been on the market for many many years so it must be pretty good) Please let me know. Good work men. TY, G.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 07:54:41 PM by gflvette2 »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2008, 09:17:28 PM »

Nope, been awhile. :-\

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I tried to send you some.

All you had to do was say you didn't want any!

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2008, 09:18:53 PM »

Well after three weeks of agony the problem has been resolved and we are now waiting for "JOY" to arrive. Today I brought the bike to me friends garage and as I mentioned previously, he is a great mechanic(besides being a former Marine). He placed a scope and checked all the electronics. We also cleaned the carb, cleaned the jets where we found somemore tank lining, remover the bottom of the carb where the float is and cleaned everything. the electronic problem was the regulator, plain and simple. I didn't get the chrome replacement for ten dollars more because I would have had to wait a week before it came in to HD. But I now have a good running bike. I feel good.The chrome regulator costs $110.00. I asked HD what the cost of a new tank would be. So he looks it up and said it's $1,330.00 and it's obsolete. So when the season is over, The tank will be removed and he has a different method of removing the inside liner, then we will do the Kreem regiment to recoat the tank. He had his tank done using a commercial type lining but the person who did it is now out of business and he don't remember the product used. But he will try to find out the information and we have time before we do it so...... If anyone knows something better than Kreem please advise me. My bud said Kreem is pretty good but there are better products  like that that was used on his tank.  So "Thank You " for all the advise and I'm real happy that the bike is running real good. You Guys are the Best!!!

Best to all of you,

George :apple:

Well, F.  I checked on a tank before I got mine in February -- stil available.  Now, 6 months later, SOL! >:(  SOB, shoulda got one then, F! :o

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2008, 09:20:46 PM »

I tried to send you some.

All you had to do was say you didn't want any!

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

"Chicken Wine" =

Little bit different then the wine you were speaking of.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2008, 09:24:51 PM »

Well, F.  I checked on a tank before I got mine in February -- stil available.  Now, 6 months later, SOL! >:(  SOB, shoulda got one then, F! :o

Ebay man Ebay!

Take a few lessons from Mr. Chicken Wine himself and the world is at your fingertips.
Or at least until wifey says, "I'm gonna ring that dOOd's neck for teaching you about Ebay!

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2008, 09:25:35 PM »

I didn't bother to read every little bit of advice since I only just saw this, but when I read Hoist's suggestion of a battery first, it made me wonder how many dollars all the suggestions would add up to if the regulator was the last thing tried being the first thing suggested?

Just a wandering thought..............

Glad to hear the problem is resolved.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2008, 09:27:37 PM »

I didn't bother to read every little bit of advice since I only just saw this, but when I read Hoist's suggestion of a battery first, it made me wonder how many dollars all the suggestions would add up to if the regulator was the last thing tried being the first thing suggested?

Just a wandering thought..............

Glad to hear the problem is resolved.

That's why Brian and dOOd deserve "ATTABOYS"!

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »

That's why Brian and dOOd deserve "ATTABOYS"!

KUDOS to the boys............... :bananarock:

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2008, 12:51:43 AM »

George...

glad you have most of this figured out....it's great to have someone you trust to help out.....you received some great advice from everyone....KUDOS to all.....

Now go out and put 400-500 miles on the bike and make sure everything is fixed......

$1,330.00 for a friggen tank....with blue flames...and they are obsolete....what did HD only make 2 extra or what....

Actually, I think I would check into that story a bit more....I am not saying I am even close to being right about this....but I always thought if something happened to your "tins" they would actually require the one you had a "problem" with and require it to be returned and they would prepare a new one.....sort of a "swap" procedure.......I suppose this requires a call to Customer Service at HD.....I have no basis to justify my position other than the logic that these are CVO bikes and if something happens they would be in a position to repair....even if it took them six months to paint a new one in order to fit it into their schedule.....I do realize other parts go obsolete but I would never had thought that the painting of a tank would.....Jenni would be a good source for this answer....but who wants to bother her for a "generic" question when you aren't planning to buy anything.....

So does anyone have the "facts" on this matter.....or does everyone believe the communication Jorge received was accurate..... :nixweiss:

Howie, you better wrap that tank when you start puttin them MONKEY APES on Joy...... :bananarock:

I am glad George is peeking around the corner.....and sees a clear road ahead....... :2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:54:08 AM by FXR2evo99 »

elvislee

« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2008, 01:20:53 AM »

George...

glad you have most of this figured out....it's great to have someone you trust to help out.....you received some great advice from everyone....KUDOS to all.....

Now go out and put 400-500 miles on the bike and make sure everything is fixed......

$1,330.00 for a friggen tank....with blue flames...and they are obsolete....what did HD only make 2 extra or what....

Actually, I think I would check into that story a bit more....I am not saying I am even close to being right about this....but I always thought if something happened to your "tins" they would actually require the one you had a "problem" with and require it to be returned and they would prepare a new one.....sort of a "swap" procedure.......I suppose this requires a call to Customer Service at HD.....I have no basis to justify my position other than the logic that these are CVO bikes and if something happens they would be in a position to repair....even if it took them six months to paint a new one in order to fit it into their schedule.....I do realize other parts go obsolete but I would never had thought that the painting of a tank would.....Jenni would be a good source for this answer....but who wants to bother her for a "generic" question when you aren't planning to buy anything.....

So does anyone have the "facts" on this matter.....or does everyone believe the communication Jorge received was accurate..... :nixweiss:

Howie, you better wrap that tank when you start puttin them MONKEY APES on Joy...... :bananarock:

I am glad George is peeking around the corner.....and sees a clear road ahead....... :2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim

They (tanks painted) are showing up on Bike Bandit for $831.00 and a bit over $400.00 unpainted (primered). Bike Bandit is not showing them as obsolete or discontinued and they (Bike Bandit) usually state if a part is obsolete or discontinued. Bike Bandit would have to get all OEM parts from Harley would they not?  :nixweiss:  :confused5:

Glad to hear things are starting to clear up a bit on that purty blue 3 George...Best to ya and Semper Fi!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 02:07:23 AM by elvislee »

RedFXR2

« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2008, 07:04:57 AM »

George, I'm just glad the problem got solved.  When I had identical symptoms, I got as far as swapping the coil and testing the voltage regulator before a guy in my local shop told me to check the fuel supply and that turned out to be my problem.  At least a voltage regulator isn't terribly expensive, easy to replace, and not discontinued.

About the expensive tank, remember HD only made (painted, actually) 64 of those things to begin with so it's not surprising that none are on shelves anywhere.  But I am surprised that they can't make one to order--maybe (probably) they wouldn't want to but that's a different issue.  The tanks are still readily available--all we're talking about is paint and I'm sure it's around,, and I figure there's a pattern somewhere for the flames and emblem.

If you go the Kreem or POR15 route, be very careful about protecting the paint and you won't need a new tank.

And I'd get HD touch-up paint and take multiple pictures of the tank as well.  A good custom painter could easily replicate the factory job if it came to that--probably for less than the factory wants, anyway.

Anyway, glad the drama is over.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.424 seconds with 21 queries.