Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why Do You Own an FXR 2/3/4?  (Read 3635 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Why Do You Own an FXR 2/3/4?
« on: August 20, 2008, 12:14:25 AM »

Let's have some fun with this! Just for chits and giggles! Let's hear all about it from ya'll! :2vrolijk_21:

Me. Cause I always wanted to play on this board! Now I get to feel like I'm part of it!!! ::) :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

And I LOVE Hot Rodded Harleys! Setup for all around performance! Great styling and ride too! Start with the best bikes and make ‘em MUCH better! My SERK’s like that! My FXWG’s like that! My Pro Street’s like that! My Bobber will be like that too! It's all about the passion baby!!! ;)

And the BLUE3 fits right in there with them. I loved that bike ever since it came out! When Joy became available, something clicked, and everything worked out! She’s coming home now! And the transformation into my BLUE3 Hot Rod FXR named Joy begins!!! :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:

:2vrolijk_06: Joy!!! Have a safe trip home (she's getting picked up at Jim's tomorrow)! I’ll be with ya soon enough now!!! :smilie_staub: :smilie_staub: :smilie_staub:

Hoist!
 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Why Do You Own an FXR 2/3/4?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:58:19 PM »

Wazzup, guys?!  Almost 24 hours and no replies to this thread! :shocked2:  Don't we know why we have these bikes? :nixweiss: :huepfenlol2:

When I got my first Harley in '01, a Luxury Blue Electra Glide Classic, I did some rides with the local HOG group.  A fella I used to work with 10 years earlier and his wife were members, too, and went on many of the rides.  His wife had a green FXR3.  I fell in love with the lines, paint treatment and chromed out look of that bike and would study it every time I saw it for the next few years.

After getting my SEEG and learning more about the CVO line, and learning from this site ;) that there was a blue variant of that green bike I'd grown so fond of, I knew I had to have a BLUE3 someday!  Then, seeing the production figures for the CVO FXRs that RedFXR2 posted awhile back :shocked2: just made me want to find one all the more!  After half-heartedly looking around for a couple of years, someone on the site here picked up on my comments of wanting one of these great bikes.  One thing led to another and in March this year, I finally scored my bike!

So far, I am really enjoying this bike!  I've put more miles on it this year than either of the other two touring bikes I have.  That may change with a trip or two yet this fall, but this bike really takes me back to the basics of what is fun about riding, which is being in the wind (no fairing or lowers), listening to the sound of the engine (instead of the stereo) and a feeling of being one with the machine (due to the excellent seating position and handling)! :2vrolijk_21:

Let's hear some more stories! :huepfenjump3:

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:22:28 PM »

I've briefly described my ownership story before but here goes:

I moved to NC in the Spring of '03 and quickly realized that my new home would afford me the opportunity to enjoy a motorcycle again.  I could turn left out of my new neighborhood and go to Virginia on miles and miles of scenic country two lanes roads through charming towns.  I had sold my Triumph in Atlanta before I was really ready to and in the next ten years since, the town blew up into a traffic and congestion monster--didn't make me want to ride.  So anyway, I decided to go HD this time around and read two books about them to educate myself as to the models and features.  From my Brit-bike days I knew I wanted good handling so the books convinced me to look for a FXR.  At this point, I had never heard of the CVO or FXR2's, 3's, or 4's.

After not having much luck looking for a un-molested production FXR, I went to a local indy shop in Raleigh (Bikers Boulevard, good place) to look at a used Dyna they had advertised.  Over to the side of the showroom was what was soon to be my FXR2.  They had just gotten it on consignment and hadn't advertised it yet.  I kept going back and forth, because the Dyna was newer, had fewer miles on it, and cost the same, but the shop owner was openly more enthusiastic about the FXR2 (I came to find later that he was still riding his 1992 FXR, himself).  I sat on it, he rolled it outside and started it and I was sold.  Bought it the next day, after reviewing my books.  Steve, the owner of the shop (remember, this was not a HD dealer) gave me a detailed verbal history of the CVO to date and explained the FXR2's place in it much better than any info I ever got from a dealer.  He had previously sold two other FXR2's and none had ever been on his floor for a full week.  Mine made it 3 days.

He takes photos of all his buyers and covers the walls of the showroom with 8x10's.  If you go there, my picture is about waist high about the middle of the showroom wall.  Another FXR2 buyer is higher towards the door.  Some months later, they had a blue FXR3 (first one I ever saw) on consignment.  It had ridiculously few miles on it--Steve told me that the original owner took it home from the dealer, put it in his basement rec room and never rode it.  I briefly considered trying to trade, and sort of wish I had, now.  I had no idea then of their rarity.  He told me later that a guy from Alabama had heard about it and bought it over the phone.

So anyway, I can't claim to have made a systematic search for a CVO bike, I sort of stumbled onto it.  But I'm quite glad I did.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:39:16 AM by RedFXR2 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 09:27:12 PM »

I've briefly described my ownership story before but here goes:

I moved to NC in the Spring of '03 and quickly realized that my new home would afford me the opportunity to enjoy a motorcycle again.  I could turn left out of my new neighborhood and go to Virginia on miles and miles of scenic country two lanes roads through charming towns.  I had sold my Triumph in Atlanta before I was really ready to and in the next ten years since, the town blew up into a traffic and congestion monster--didn't make me want to ride.  So anyway, I decided to go HD this time around and read two books about them to educate myself as to the models and features.  From my Brit-bike days I knew I wanted good handling so the books convinced me to look for a FXR.  At this point, I had never heard of the CVO or FXR2's, 3's, or 4's.

After not having much luck looking for a un-molested production FXR, I went to a local indy shop in Raleigh (Bikers Boulevard, good place) to look at a used Dyna they had advertised.  Over to the side of the showroom was what was soon to be my FXR2.  They had just gotten it on consignment and hadn't advertised it yet.  I kept going back and forth, because the Dyna was newer, had fewer miles on it, and cost the same, but the shop owner was openly more enthusiastic about the FXR2 (I came to find later that he was still riding his 1992 FXR, himself).  I sat on it, he rolled it outside and started it and I was sold.  Bought it the next day, after reviewing my books.  Steve, the owner of the shop (remember, this was not a HD dealer) gave me a detailed verbal history of the CVO to date and explained the FXR2's place in it much better than any info I ever got from a dealer.  He had previously sold two other FXR2's and none had ever been on his floor for a full week.  Mine made it 3 days.

He takes photos of all his buyers and covers the walls of the showroom with 8x10's.  If you go there, my picture is about waist high about the middle of the showroom wall.  Another FXR2 buyer is higher towards the door.  Some months later, they had a blue FXR3 (first one I ever saw) on consignment.  It had ridiculously few (I think 6) miles on it--Steve told me that the original owner took it home from the dealer, put it in his basement rec room and never rode it.  I briefly considered trying to trade, and sort of wish I had, now.  I had no idea then of their rarity.  He told me later that a guy from Alabama had heard about it and bought it over the phone.

So anyway, I can't claim to have made a systematic search for a CVO bike, I sort of stumbled onto it.  But I'm quite glad I did.

:o Does that mean they have four of them down there then? :nixweiss:

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 09:34:58 PM »

:o Does that mean they have four of them down there then? :nixweiss:

I asked our Alabama rep if his or any of the other Alabama blue 3's came from NC and he didn't know of any.  He accounted for his and another specifically that did not come from NC, so it's possible that, if the owner I'm talking about still has it--remember, it's been five years, now--there is yet another blue 3 in the 'Heart of Dixie'.

...i purchased it 1-3-07 from fellow in tn.  i'm 3 rd proud owner of  this bike.

2nd unit from anniston, al. area is owned by Greg Feiner, purchase date was dec. 07. His bike came from Minnesota,
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:38:20 PM by RedFXR2 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:41:13 PM »

Alabama - it's the BLUE3 "Twilight Zone!" :alien: :2vrolijk_21: :huepfenlol2:

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 09:57:13 PM »

I've owned and ridden most every model of hd in the last 15 yrs. through buying and selling them..but set out 15 yrs ago to experience all models. One of my best friends who works for HD in Talladega, al. was former test rider, now currently mechanic owns 1993 fxr w/ 109,000 miles and just stopped by tonight after he had cleaned his stock carb out..and was making loop to check for any riding issues before ride this weekend. His love for the fxr rubbed off on me..and i've owned and ridden all models and colors of fxr2, fxr3 and fxr4..some bought new, most used w/ very few miles on them..and sold em. Set out couple of years ago to find blue fxr3 after selling friends green fxr3 and another fxr4 tangerine that I had owned. Found this one on ebay..it did not sell, reserve was not met..I contacted owner who was brother of friend of mine..who had just moved from Florida to Tenn. He had bought this bike from collector and needed funds for hot rod he had his eye on.  Friend of mine who was with me when I bought this bike said " i've got to have one like this"so I set out to find another, found one for him on ebay in Minnesota.  Fxr cvo's have been kind of facination for me..but have settled down to the blue 3 as my keeper!  Why do i own one!    Simply put ..the ride!  Seat position, nimble handling, nice power to weight ratio,,and styling appeal to me. Other bikes I may enjoy for short period of time..year or more..but the fxr seems to fit me better than most...its fun to ride!

hdfxr3   dave

photo attached is original of mine ..my blue in front w/ green I sold last year to another ala. resident

if you look close i'm standing in my garage reflected in headlight of my blue bike!  enjoy!

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 09:59:48 PM »

i think my blue 3 originally came from nc ( collector)..then fl. then tn. now ala. i'll look into it..just for giggles!

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 10:26:25 PM »

i think my blue 3 originally came from nc ( collector)..then fl. then tn. now ala.

Now you've got me wondering if the guy in NC said Alabama or Florida? :-\

I'm quite sure he said Alabama but I've been wrong before. :o ;D

I'm trying to remember an approximate date for seeing the blue 3 at the shop in NC.  I think it would have been about Fall of '03, but might have been early '04.  Dang, I hate getting old. >:(

[edit to add]

Amazing, but here's a picture of the blue 3 I saw at Bikers Boulevard in Raleigh:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 11:05:20 PM by RedFXR2 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 01:35:32 AM »

HDFXR3~~~ ".......Simply put ..the ride!  Seat position, nimble handling, nice power to weight ratio,,and styling appeal to me......."

That pretty much nails it....

blaine~~~"......So, my FXR4 wasn't my 1st choice, wasn't my 2nd choice, but....turned out to be the BEST choice. I love this bike and it will be passed down to my grandson one day and the legacy of the FXR will continue  ......."

Is that awesome or what!!!!!  leaving it to your grandson.....a gift that keeps on giving.....that's just awesome!!!!

You know what I find so cool about that photo, is the reflection of the blue flame in the sissy bar side plate of the emerald green FXR3.

Tim
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:41:21 AM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 08:37:22 AM »

Now you've got me wondering if the guy in NC said Alabama or Florida? :-\

I'm quite sure he said Alabama but I've been wrong before. :o ;D

I'm trying to remember an approximate date for seeing the blue 3 at the shop in NC.  I think it would have been about Fall of '03, but might have been early '04.  Dang, I hate getting old. >:(

[edit to add]

Amazing, but here's a picture of the blue 3 I saw at Bikers Boulevard in Raleigh:

Okay, I stand corrected.  I contacted the shop owner back in Raleigh and here's his response:

"Mike, Good memory. Good to hear from you. The bike was a sold to a customer
in Thibodeaux, Louisiana  on 07/29/2004. The bike had 184 miles on it.  Good
luck."

So this blue 3 went to Louisiana in 2004.  Wonder if it's still there?

seven

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 01:00:27 AM »

I bought my fxr4 about a year and a half ago. I  almost didn't buy another bike due to not ever riding one that was really comfortable. I had a '80 or  '81 yamaha 650 seca and hated it, figured I would just keep riding my atv ('99 Banshee, slightly modified, and fast as hell), till I had kids. Well the atv got parked and eventually traded back to the original owner for a '70 iron head on a '92 hard tail, which needs alot of work to get ridable regularly. Well I liked the feel of that bike. Another friend let me ride his  street bob and thats when I decided to buy a newer good bike. I started lookin on the internet for a bike. I found my fxr4 and decided to go look at it, when I saw it I knew it was goin home with me. About 4 hours later I jumped on my new bike and went home. I love that bike it is comfortable and fun. Hope to have it for alot of years.
SEVEN

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »

With some recent new FXR folks jumping aboard here who might not have seen this thread, I'd love to hear some more of your stories! Please feel free to share with us about why you love these bikes so much! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 21 queries.