Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FLAT BATTERY  (Read 1479 times)

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
FLAT BATTERY
« on: August 21, 2008, 11:45:46 AM »

This is "MUCHO" strange,

During last weekend I rode my Springer for 200 miles, stopping in several coastal towns and really enjoying the ride. Got home, put it in my garage, Locked the switch, covered the bike and that's it. On Wednesday wanted to give it a blast, riding to work and back, but to my surprise the battery was dead  >:(; turning the key no lights, no nothing, totally flat!! I've had the bike very long periods (2-3 weeks) without riding and after that it started with half a turn.....

Before I put my car battery charger, Y checked the battery connections, but they were fine, and apart from that lose connections don't discharge the battery, so I either have a bad battery (7 months old only) or I have a voltage "leak" somewhere. The great ride I had the previous weekend with starting and stopping many times, tells me the charging system is not at fault, but don't have a voltage meter in my work related home, so I won't be able to check it till this weekend. If it is an external eathing it will be a pig to find and normally tends to blow fuses, so I tend to think it is most likely a faulty battery.

By the way, after charging it the engine started as usual with a quarter of a turn...... :nixweiss:

Wonder if something similar has happened to anyone.

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: FLAT BATTERY
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:48:41 AM »

put a voltage meter on the battery while the bike is running.

check voltage at idle
check voltage above 2000 RPM it should increase to around +14 volts if not you have a charging problem
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.