Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: To Whom Do You Loan Your Bike Out; If you Do?  (Read 6721 times)

elvislee

To Whom Do You Loan Your Bike Out; If you Do?
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:27:57 PM »

OK...Who loans there bike out for other folks to ride?

When I bought my bike pretty soon to be 2 years ago; I promised myself I would NOT loan it out to anyone. I have on a few occasions let someone take it for a spin down the road and back in 10 minutes or so.

I ask this question because I have a nephew in his mid thirties who in the last 2 years ALWAYS only calls me if he wants to borrow my bike or my truck. I let him borrow my truck if he's hauling something or something to that effect; but, I WON"T let him ride my bike. I've seen the results on numerous occasions where he would borrow my Bro-in-Laws 89 FXR and return it days later, sometimes weeks later and it seems like everytime something is always F'd up when it is returned. Finally Bro-in-Law put the hammer down and told him no more. Now He continuously hits me up for mine and I keep telling him no but he don't seem to understand the word "NO". I 've been talked about behind my back as being cheap, sorry, selfish, and all other things not good because I won't loan it to him, which I could care less

Anyway, I'm not looking for anyone's approval or disapproval of my decisions. Just wondering if anyone here has had the same issues? This is the first bike I've owned that REALLY means the world to me and I ain't gonna loan it to just anybody; especially someone I feel wouldn't own up and cover expenses if anything was to happen while under someone elses A$$! If I rode someone elses bike and screwed something up; I'd be the first to cover the expenses...I wouldn't feel right if I didn't...Anyway, just curious how other folks feel bout loaning their ride out?... :2vrolijk_21:

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
Re: To Whom Do You Loan Your Bike Out; If you Do?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:10:50 PM »

My bike is my pride and joy! The only other person who rides my bike id Al, my husband. I know how he is with bikes so I do trust him most of the time. If anything should go wrong, he would take care of it.As for anyone else riding my bike........it would depend on the circumstance and the person.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:35:21 AM by Janine »
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 11:20:03 PM »

NADA- not a soul! Won't loose a friend or family member that way.

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 11:28:14 PM »

I agree totally with your situation...   no way no how under those conditions....

but i have also been on the receiving end of tremendous generosity on the part of a bunch of folks.... 

many ( most) of them right here on this site. 

Several members that I didnt know or barely knew threw me the keys to their pride and joy without thinking twice.

This was a kindness i hope to repay some day....  and i hope i did each of them justice on their equipment in the process...

i think it does depend on the situation and the person.....

through others generosity,, i know that now, yes i would loan my bike to most folks from here

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 11:35:48 PM »

I have a few high $$$$$ items that a few people are always wanting to borrow: My Truck, Tractor, Boat, Trailers, and my Bike (fortunately, most folks know not to ask to ride my bike)

Had a regular 02 Ultra before my 08 SEUC.  Only let two people ride it besides me - a good friend that has been riding forever and owns a similar bike and my oldest son, who is a very good rider (taught him myself ;) )

Loaned my diesel tractor to a friend earlier this year.  Felt obligated since his tractor (a John Deer that I sold him about a year before) was broke down.  He wound up picking up a huge nail in one of the front tires and then put gasoline instead of diesel in it :'(  Fortunately, he didn't put the gasoline in the tank until the tractor was back up on the trailer on his way back to my house.  I started the tractor and backed if off the trailer - shut it down so we could talk - then with a big proud smile he said, "oh by the way I stopped and filled it up with gas".  I said "you are kidding right - you put diesel in it".  He wasn't kidding >:(
So I had to drain twenty gallons of gasoline/diesel mix out - replace the fuel filter - and bleed the injectors.  He helped, but never even offered to replace the fuel and filter :nixweiss:

I don't like to loan stuff and I don't like to borrow other people's stuff.  Almost always, if I don't have something, I will go buy it before I ask someone to loan me their stuff - that's just me.

I have figured out that it does less damage to relationships to refuse to loan someone something than it does to loan them something and them screw it up. ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:47:40 AM by LRebel »

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »

I would and have loaned my bike to a few close friends. I would also loan it to someone from a forum like this where I knew they rode carefully and were responsible. If one of you comes to town and needed a ride to cruise some of the beautiful roads near where we live, I would enjoy facilitating the enjoyment. As nice as the bike is, it's just a bike and could always be replaced.

hossdog

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:19:09 AM »

I have never loaned my bikes to anyone ( in the last 30 years ) not to say I wouldn't as long as they were responsible, experenced, and have the money to fix if they break it. Your nephew doesn't sound like any of these. As far as the name calling and slamming he's giving you about not getting to ride your bike sort of sums up the kind of person he is. If you ever do let him ride it you can be assured he's gona ride it like he stolled it.
Jesus loves bikers too !

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 06:21:31 AM »

If your nephew is like that...and he asked to borrow your bike, you need to laugh in his face.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 06:43:16 AM »

I 've been talked about behind my back as being cheap, sorry, selfish, and all other things not good because I won't loan it to him, which I could care less

that'll get you places!

Two folks have ridden my SERK - dad and I...when the boy gets old enough, then dad, me and my son

Only person who has ever ridden my KLR - me.

Other then my wife, nobody has ever driven my F-150, and it's a 98...

I guess I am protective (or homicidal if you mess up my stuff). 

Just my .02

Sean

RedFXR2

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 07:09:25 AM »

I don't like to loan stuff and I don't like to borrow other people's stuff.  Almost always, if I don't have something, I will go buy it before I ask someone to loan me their stuff - that's just me.

That's me, too.

On the one hand, I know it's just a bike and there are plenty out there, but on the other hand, I can think of all kinds of reasons that it's a bad idea.

I've been offered other peoples' bikes to ride and have politely turned them down.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 07:10:15 AM »

The nephew can rent any Harley he wants for a few days.  he sounds like the cheap one.  He could have a bike just like yours if he chose to.  I'd have no part of it.  Two of my brothers and the service guy at the dealer are the only ones to drive my bike (and oh yeah, Porthole who moved it in York when I was passed out).

I'm surprised anyone would ask to borrow the bike.  That's some MAJOR cajones.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

RedFXR2

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 07:15:04 AM »

the service guy at the dealer are the only ones to drive my bike.

I forgot about that.  The Tech at my local shop has "test" ridden it a few times after some service work, but that guy's been on bikes most of his life and is a pro.  For some reason, I can watch him take it down the streeet and disappear around the corner and not have any issues with it.

Heck that's the only time I get to hear what it sounds like going by.  :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:20:10 AM by RedFXR2 »

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 07:18:52 AM »

Heck that's the only time I get to hear what it sounds like going by.  :)

Funny, I had the same thought.  "So THAT'S what it sounds like.  Niiiiccce......"
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 07:54:52 AM »

Never a borrower or lender be.  Great words to live by, and for some reason, blood is thicker than water.  If they are related, the expectations are higher, and the responsibility lower. 
We have a very nice truck, a Ford F250 Harley truck.  We hardly ever use it as more than a good looking, go down the road vehicle.  We have hauled very little in it, but when we have done so, we have been very careful about what we put in it and how we put it in.  Can not count how many people ask if they can borrow the truck to move .... whatever.  Once we said yes.  Things did not work out as well as one would have expected when you allow someone to save a few hundred dollars not to have to rent something and since then, the answer is ALWAYS the same. 
        No!  I have the number to UHaul and did you know that Home Depot rents their trucks for only $29/hour? 
We had been asked about borrowing our boat before we sold it, but we said No, unequivocally.
Bike? 
Not really asked per se, but we have good riding buddies who have been passing by and stopped for a few hours and we have shared the ride with them on one of our bikes.  Knew the riders well, and their abilities.  But to just lend the bike out and me not going to be there?  No way!  Why?  Like someone said above, if someone needs a bike - rent one.  If you don't have one - buy one.
Now for the past four years, at least once during the year, we fly brother-in-law Tim in from British Columbia, throw him up on the road king and we haul butt somewhere.  We have a great time.  He is not lucky enough to have such a bike at home and so when the three of us get together we have a ball eating up some pavement and have worked some family visits into the rides.  We have a lot of fun.  For this loan of bike to Tim, it has been one worth the small expense of keeping a third bike running, insured and in the garage ready to roll.  The bonus of the extra bike is that if one of our regular rides are in the shop, there is a back up for us too.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 08:06:47 AM »

I've loaned my bikes to people I know in the past. I expect it to be treated at least as good, if not better, than I treat them myself. That has always been the case. I've had folks from this site come and visit here bikeless. The only way I can show them around is on one of my bikes. How could Nige and Jan come in from England and not use my SERK to tour here? They left here with memories that can't be bought!!! I try to be careful as to who I'll loan it to. But it's a machine and can be fixed. And I know whomever I lend it to will take care of it, and be responsible for fixing it, if they screw it up. Outside of that, chit happens! I'm careful who I lend it to, but until I get truly burned, I guess I'll look at this a little different from most of ya'll!!! :2vrolijk_21: ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 22 queries.