Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Carbon Fiber Wheels  (Read 7227 times)

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
Re: Carbon Fiber Wheels
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 01:50:38 PM »

Thanks!
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 08:14:56 PM »

I trying to get a reading on whether or not our stock tire size will fit on the BST 19x3 wheel.  I found a few sites that indicate that there is a range of wheel sizes will the same tire size.  Anyone have any confirmation?

You need to look at the specs for the brand and model of the actual tire to determine the correct rim width.  Some tires of the same size designation from different brands call for different rim widths, depending on each companies design parameters.  It is best to stick with the recommended rim width for the brand of tire you intend to use.  In the case of the Dunlop 130/60B19, they recommend a 3.50" rim width.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 09:58:43 PM »

Thanks.  I really want to figure out whether this is going to work the way I think it should.  I want to get some measurable performance benefits out of this project.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »

Some of us like performance, we bought CVOs after all, as well as show.  Carbon fiber wheels will definitely add a performance edge to a CVO.  Acceleration, braking and turn in will all be greatly improved.  I'm looking for a tire to go with BST carbon wheels now.

:confused5:   How much actual weight difference can you document between the stock wheel versus the carbon fiber wheel?  For it to "greatly improve" acceleration it would have to be a huge difference.  Improved braking would depend on a lot more than just a reduction in rotational mass, like available traction and the actual brake components.  The reduction in unsprung weight should provide a handling benefit, but unless you plan to upgrade the suspension along with the wheels I'd imagine the difference in the real world wouldn't justify the price.

If money is no object and you just want to do this as some sort of grand experiment in improving Harley handling, go for it.  But try not to fall for all the hype from folks selling overpriced "solutions" that don't and can't solve the basic design limitations of a Harley.   

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 02:39:47 PM »

Thanks again Jerry.  I think part of it is part of the American DNA, and part of it is based on results I got from suspension improvements I got on the track.  Again I'm not trying to turn the RG into a track machine but I think there is some real room for improvement.  Cost to benefit is probably a losing proposition as you identified.  In my case, rather than chrome and sound systems, both good things, I'm more excited by performance, handling and power.  Power is pretty good with the full sac x pipe and a great dyno tune by Rosa's cycle, so it's on to suspension/handling improvements.  I installed RICOR and Race Tech components in the forks and have Ohlins shocks, both noticeable improvements over stock.

Tom
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 04:37:22 PM »

Thanks again Jerry.  I think part of it is part of the American DNA, and part of it is based on results I got from suspension improvements I got on the track.  Again I'm not trying to turn the RG into a track machine but I think there is some real room for improvement.  Cost to benefit is probably a losing proposition as you identified.  In my case, rather than chrome and sound systems, both good things, I'm more excited by performance, handling and power.  Power is pretty good with the full sac x pipe and a great dyno tune by Rosa's cycle, so it's on to suspension/handling improvements.  I installed RICOR and Race Tech components in the forks and have Ohlins shocks, both noticeable improvements over stock.

Tom

If you're into tweaks like this, you really should take a look at the Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Cartridges for the front forks.  Race track bred.  On a scale of 1-10 for things you can do to a HD front forks, they are the 10.  Nothing else compares.  Some are 7 on the scale.  I'd rate what you have as at best a 5.  Since I've never ridden a bike with the Ohlins rear shocks, and don't know what model you have, can't comment.  But I can give you my opinion...Bitubo Shocks are about the best I've ever ridden on.  Also sold through Traxxion Dynamics.  Compression damping and rebound damping, along with the spring, of course.  On a 950lb bike, you'll notice more from those things than you'll ever notice from lighter wheels, IMO.

I am not a spokesperson for Traxxion Dynamics, I just know with 100% certainty that they sell good chit that works, with excellent customer service, and the results will be as close to perfection as you'll ever get on a HD touring bike as far as handling.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 05:18:51 PM »

I agree the RICOR and Race Tech set up is better than stock but not nearly as good as Traxxion.  I have been talking to Ohlins about cartridge kits for the touring HD's and they are working on it, that why I did the interim step with the RICORs .  I have had good luck with Ohlins and prefer a 30mm cartridge to the Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Cartridges.  A big plus for Ohlins is their customer service, never had anything except great service and support from them.  That said, if they don't produce something before too long I will look at Traxxion again.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 22 queries.