Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Ok, who stole my horn, I can't find it and it doesn't work.  (Read 4045 times)

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 yellow
Ok, who stole my horn, I can't find it and it doesn't work.
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:35:05 PM »

Yes, I know that it sounds very stupid but I can't find the horn to check the wiring. It has quit honking. Where on the bike is it located? Anyone

93 FXR

Re: Ok, who stole my horn, I can't find it and it doesn't work.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 09:38:44 PM »

under and kinda behind  the oil tank....you really need to take the wheel off to get to it.
PITA location

'93
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:43:29 PM by 93 FXR »

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »

Allow me-- did this drill a while back.  You can do it without removing the wheel.

Remove the right side cover and remove the rear master cylinder mount screws, but not the hydraulic hose. Just let the master cylinder droop out of the way.

Remove the battery--there is an access hole in the battery tray for the horn attachment bolt. Remove the bolt with a socket and extension bar.  This allows the horn to fall on top of the swingarm, still connected to the wires.

Now that the horn is loose on top of the swingarm, use your fingers, needlenose pliers, whatever to fish the horn over to the right side. Use the opening you created by loose-removing the master cylinder.  Hold on while you unplug the wires and remove the flat bar horn bracket from the horn body. It won't fit through the opening with the bracket still attached.  You have to orient the horn just right but it can be squeezed out.  Be patient--it really will fit if you turn it just so.  Leave the flat bar attachment bracket in there, or remember to re-insert it first before the new horn.  You'll have to re-assemble the bracket onto the new horn when the horn is in the space under the battery.   

Make a note of this orientation and use the same one when inserting the new horn in there. It will require scraping it against the plastic fender extension to the point of flexing that plastic some, but it can be done. Then fish it over to re-connect the wires, re-attach the horn bracket, and re-attach the mounting bolt through the battery box. You'll need something like a magnetic probe to start the nut. Think surgery.

Tip--when you re-attach the horn, use a plastic/nylon or rubber washer between the horn bracket and the mount under the battery box. Without a cushioning washer, if it gets too tight, it won't work, and there's not much leeway between "so loose that it won't stay attached' and 'too tight to allow proper vibration so the horn still works'. I used a nylon washer, tightened the bolt and the horn works fine all the time.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:09:47 PM by RedFXR2 »

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »

Red, thanks for the info. Plasmaman and I are here together reading your post. Sounds as if this could be a six pack job. Not much fun best we can tell. Since we had the tank off and wires unplugged for the valve guide replacement do you remember if any of the wires that plug under the tank would have been involved. A quick inspection did not show any left undone.

Thanks,
Abby

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 10:17:05 PM »

I doubt if you involved the horn wires while under the tank.  These horns are somewhat troublesome and I think most of it is the lack of vibration isolation, hence my mention of a cushioning washer.  As I recall, when I replaced mine, once I got it unbolted and just hanging down onto the top of the swingarm, it worked, but when I re-attached it, it wouldn't.  I ended up replacing the thing just because I was there, but I really think the nylon washer was 90% of the fix.

It's really not that hard--now that you know where the thing is and how to gain access to it.  It was really frustrating when I had to feel my way along, but now that I know, I could do it again in not much time at all.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:25:46 PM by RedFXR2 »

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 10:21:32 PM »

Will give it a try tomorrow. Guess we better see if our local bike shop has one in stock before we go to all of the trouble to take it out. As always, we really appreciate the assistance offered by all of you guys and gals.

Thanks,
Abby and Plasmaman

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 10:24:40 PM »

Here's the horn and bracket.  The single bolt is what you get to through the battery box.

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:33:24 PM »

Sounds as if this could be a six pack job. Not much fun best we can tell.

I gotta tell you--if Plasmaman can re-do your motor like you said he did, this horn thing will be a breeze.  If it takes a six-pack, it will only be because you guys drank the last two after you were done test riding it after the job. ;)

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 01:41:40 PM »

RedFXR, your instructions made this a fairly simple chore. I will pass on a couple of things that may help the next person attempting to repair the horn. First, the nut on the flat bar horn bracket is a 10mm, not a 7/16. Next is the rotation of the horn to get it to clear the frame. It must be turned upside down with the stud (mounted in the horn) turned down. It will then clear the frame. I found the horn to be fine but the wires had broken at the spade connectors. There was enough extra wire to allow new connectors to be crimped on. Had to position it just right to rotate the stud back upright after the horn was past the frame. It went ok when you hit the magic position. One other item is the master cylinder mount. The holes are slotted and you only need to loosen 5/16 bolts to lift it straight up and then move as necessary out of the way.

Thanks for the very good information.

Plasmaman

RedFXR2

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 01:44:59 PM »

Glad I could help.  Between you and me, the next person trying to do this should nearly have it made.

Now to the important part.  How many beers? ;D

Plasmaman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • Metal Art at The Wells Company
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 04:14:19 PM »

Just enough beer to make the horn honk. Gotta ride so can't drink. By the way, the worst beer I ever had was absolutely wonderful. I LOVE cold beer.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 12:50:14 AM »

:bananarock:

HEY THANKS GUYS/GAL....

I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW I HAD A HORN!!!!!

:pepper:

Tim

RedFXR2

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 10:04:51 AM »

I LOVE cold beer.

Like this?  Since you're in Texas and all.

A trip to San Antonio some years ago introduced me to Shiner Bock.  Fantastic with Mexican food.  Or without. :drink:

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 04:08:05 PM »

Red, the Plasmaman worked wonders with my little scooter, again. He is just short of amazing when it comes to fixing stuff. Check out his invented GPS windshield mount for his RK.  He posted it under the electronic gadgets thread. I credit his creativity to the Shiner, of course. He DOES love his beer. Wish you were closer than across the continent. There are several folks here that we would love to meet, especially you and Elvislee.  Maybe we could all make the Arkansas gathering next year. Not half way for you, but closer than San Antonio...but then there is always that food, and Shiner in SA....We could sure meet there. Couldn't stay too long though, or we'd weigh too much to ride the bikes home. 
thanks for all the help.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 04:15:54 PM »

Red, the Plasmaman worked wonders with my little scooter, again. He is just short of amazing when it comes to fixing stuff. Check out his invented GPS windshield mount for his RK.  He posted it under the electronic gadgets thread. I credit his creativity to the Shiner, of course. He DOES love his beer. Wish you were closer than across the continent. There are several folks here that we would love to meet, especially you and Elvislee.  Maybe we could all make the Arkansas gathering next year. Not half way for you, but closer than San Antonio...but then there is always that food, and Shiner in SA....We could sure meet there. Couldn't stay too long though, or we'd weigh too much to ride the bikes home. 
thanks for all the help.

Wish I knew you guys were in SA when I was at my last job. My old Co. has a big plant there. I'd be down there a few times a year. Little chance of going back on business now since I left there. But as a customer I might be taken there by them to a factory test. I'll be sure to look you guys up if I get down there again. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 05:52:15 PM »

Wish I knew you guys were in SA when I was at my last job.

Howie, just FYI, Plasmaman and Abby are in Mineral Wells (check their avatars), not in San Antonio.  I mentioned San Antone because that's where I was introduced to that fine Texas beer, Shiner Bock.  Being Texans, I figured Plasmaman and Abby would know about it.

I had to look on the map for Mineral Wells, myself.  Being a student of history, I noticed how close they are to Weatherford.  Pretty country (to me, anyway).  An amazing Texan is buried there.  Oliver Loving.  Plasmaman and Abby:  Ever hear of him?

Yes, this is a thread jack alert so you may want to take this to PM.

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 05:56:04 PM »

Hoist...we are not in San Antonio. We are located in Mineral Wells, just 1 hour west of Fort Worth in beautiful north Texas hill country. The SA reference was to Red's visit there when he met up with Shiner Bock beer. However, we have Shiner here too, and would wine (beer) and dine you if you ever come this way. In fact, anyone on the site who finds themselves in our area has a bed and meals. We would love to have you.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »

Howie, just FYI, Plasmaman and Abby are in Mineral Wells (check their avatars), not in San Antonio.  I mentioned San Antone because that's where I was introduced to that fine Texas beer, Shiner Bock.  Being Texans, I figured Plasmaman and Abby would know about it.

I had to look on the map for Mineral Wells, myself.  Being a student of history, I noticed how close they are to Weatherford.  Pretty country (to me, anyway).  An amazing Texan is buried there.  Oliver Loving.  Plasmaman and Abby:  Ever hear of him?

Yes, this is a thread jack alert so you may want to take this to PM.

Hoist...we are not in San Antonio. We are located in Mineral Wells, just 1 hour west of Fort Worth in beautiful north Texas hill country. The SA reference was to Red's visit there when he met up with Shiner Bock beer. However, we have Shiner here too, and would wine (beer) and dine you if you ever come this way. In fact, anyone on the site who finds themselves in our area has a bed and meals. We would love to have you.

HeHe!!! Oops, nevermind!!! :nixweiss:

As I read AN's previous post, it seemed like she was near SA. Never checked a map. My bad!!! ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 22 queries.