Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brake Lights  (Read 2190 times)

ad2

• Full CVO Member
Brake Lights
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »

I have the Kuryakyn rear run-turn-brake setup, red turn signal bulbs behind the amber lens. Since the lights stay on as running lights, riders behind me tell me it's hard to tell when I'm braking.

What other options are out there? I'd like to know I can be seen from the rear.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Brake Lights
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »

I have the Kuryakyn rear run-turn-brake setup, red turn signal bulbs behind the amber lens. Since the lights stay on as running lights, riders behind me tell me it's hard to tell when I'm braking.

The red bulb with amber lens is probably at least part of the problem.  A clear bulb with a red lens would be a better combination, or even a red bulb with a clear lens.

There are LED solutions available, including those from Kuryakyn, but in my experience the old fashioned bulb and red lens gives the widest angle effective lighting.  Most LED's I've seen aren't terribly bright when viewed on an angle.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:52:43 AM »

From what I've read about colors and lenses, Red bulbs are the best behind red lenses.  I would not have thought that.  Then I thought about those red sunglasses that come with the red laser levels and it made sense.  Also, it was recommended that LEDs sit behind a flat smooth lens, not the ribbed type commonly used with incandesent bulbs.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

novazeus

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 10:09:16 PM »

Go to Kisan and buy a drop in flashing tail light bulb. A five minute job.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 05:58:38 AM »

I have same bike as youAlso heard same thing from the ones i ride with, I had red lens instead of amber and still had same problem, I changed to the Kuryakyn L.E.D. Tombstone tail light and turn signals, the run-turn-brake module can be used as on solid when you apply brakes or flash a few times, I set mine on flash, now everybody says it gets there attention. Hope this helps you out.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »

Serk3, can you give me the item numbers for the Kuryakyn taillight and turning signal lens. I don't see them in the catalog.  Thanks.

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 06:23:24 PM »

you can also do a custom dymamics set up,I have there complete system on my x,will go on my cuse4 when it comes in

They are 48 superbright LED s

www.customdynamics.com/

Any questions just ask for Dave

Jon
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »

ad2
LED Taillight conv. Part# 5410, this is a circuit board that replaces bulb, you keep your taillight chrome housing and lens (Tombstone) board has 2 wires coming out the back with end that plugs into light bulb socket takes about 5 mins. to change

LED turn signal conv. Part #4822, just pop off lens cover, plugs in same as the above circuit board then pop on their LED light that has about a 3/4" chrome ring. (more bling to add)

They also have LED turn signals for front that you can get in amber or smoke, I went with smoke but cannot find the part number in my receipts. But if you order the above from kuryakyn they will know what you're talking about.
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Sean M Cary

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 10:25:20 PM »

I have same bike as youAlso heard same thing from the ones i ride with, I had red lens instead of amber and still had same problem, I changed to the Kuryakyn L.E.D. Tombstone tail light and turn signals, the run-turn-brake module can be used as on solid when you apply brakes or flash a few times, I set mine on flash, now everybody says it gets there attention. Hope this helps you out.

Got the same on mine...  I watch bumpers from time to time in the mirrors to see if its working.  Seems to make a reasonable amount of light.

Sean

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 08:49:16 AM »

Thanks SERK3, I've ordered the parts and should have on by the weekend.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »

Thanks SERK3, I've ordered the parts and should have on by the weekend.

NO Problem, Glad i could help. The mor i look at the hard Bags the more i like them, Did you get the bags from Harley? and who painted them for you? I see you have a mustang seat, does the front of the seat extend all the way to console, mine is about an inch short. Mustang did not even know about the 07 SERK's when i ordered it and said they had no plans to build a seat to fit them, so i had to get seat for RK CUSTOM, the console for the custom is longer and wider. I even had to prove to the H-D Dealers around here that the backrest (same one u have) and luggage rack would work on these bikes, They said they would not work because the o7's had a wider rear fender than any RK before.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 04:34:53 PM »

My original SERK seat was about 1/2" short of the console. The Mustang is really comfortable and covers the end of the console. Looks a 100% better and a 100% more comfortable.

Last year when I wanted a luggage rack I went to my "home" HD dealer and they told me they didn't have one that worked with the SERK. I went to another dealer and they pulled out everything they had until we found the right rack that works with the right sissy bar. Easy on, easy off. However, I like the looks of the medium sissy bar much better than the short one that comes with the SERK, so I unbolt the rack from it when I don't need it and leave the medium bar on the bike.

I bought my bags off eBay (paid way too much for them). They came off an '03 RK. Had Gene Nielsen paint them.

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.