Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: My Vote is to Ban Politics From This Great Site!!!  (Read 12398 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
My Vote is to Ban Politics From This Great Site!!!
« on: September 02, 2008, 08:22:19 PM »

Well, due to people not being able to control their emotions when it comes to politics, things got stupid and ugly, and now TC (Terry) is a guest! Well isn't that just special!!! ::) :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

So, my vote is.....................

FTP!!!

Nuff said! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: My Vote is to Ban Politics From This Great Site!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 08:23:50 PM »

Well, due to people not being able to control their emotions when it comes to politics, things got stupid and ugly, and now TC (Terry) is a guest! Well isn't that just special!!! ::) :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

FTP!!!

Nuff said! ;)

Hoist! 8)

There is a time and place for everything...  This would seem to be the place for motorcycles and such....    :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:36:50 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:30:34 PM »

Unfortunately banning or restricting certain topics will not stop people's emotions only they can do that.

At times we all need just to step away take a few deep breaths and relax. It may mean that we close our browsers to do this, or do whatever it takes to not lot our emotions overwhelm us.

We all have opinions, and we need to respect others opinions whether we agree w/them or not.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:45:25 PM »

I almost agree. There's an awful lot of crap that gets spread around here but we've been down this road before. Rather than restricting the site, it was long ago decided to let it fly (w/in the rules). Seems a little courtesy, thicker skin and the choice to just avoid certain threads would go a long way.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:58:52 PM »

I almost agree. There's an awful lot of crap that gets spread around here but we've been down this road before. Rather than restricting the site, it was long ago decided to let it fly (w/in the rules). Seems a little courtesy, thicker skin and the choice to just avoid certain threads would go a long way.

Exactly!  We are all (supposedly) adults here.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:03:56 PM »

FTP!!!

Nuff said! ;)

Hoist! 8)
I am again slow on the up take . What do you mean TC  [Terry] is a guest? :nixweiss:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:13:31 PM »

The main reason I love this forum is because we do have the freedom to express our opinions, whether it be about CVOs, motorcycles in general, bullchit, or yes, even politics.   If we start restricting what can be said, as long as it doesn't go out of the relm of decency, then I think this site will lose a lot of it's "soul" and appeal as a place where we can talk about anything.  One of the great things about this country, is the right to free speech, and the moderators and Neal have done a great job in allowing us that freedom.  I for one do not want to see a regulated, read censored, forum (except again, those items that would go beyond the relm of decency).  My suggestion to all is if you don't like what's being said in a thread, then don't partake in the thread, and if you do, as was said in an earlier post, realize that not everyone will agree with your opinions and may take exception to them.  Everyone has the right to join, or leave this forum, whenever they see fit.  I for one, do not want to see the forum limited in it's content because some folks don't like what's discussed.   We're all adults and we've all made the choice to be, or not be here.  Kudos to Neal and the Mods for the great job they're doing...keep this forum just the way it is.  JMHO.

:devil:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:15:21 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »

I am again slow on the up take . What do you mean TC  [Terry] is a guest? :nixweiss:

means he chose to delete his account
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »

Wow. Can't imagine that..... ???

BigR55

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 09:34:13 PM »

The main reason I love this forum is because we do have the freedom to express our opinions, whether it be about CVOs, motorcycles in general, bullchit, or yes, even politics.   If we start restricting what can be said, as long as it doesn't go out of the relm of decency, then I think this site will lose a lot of it's "soul" and appeal as a place where we can talk about anything.  One of the great things about this country, is the right to free speech, and the moderators and Neal have done a great job in allowing us that freedom.  I for one do not want to see a regulated, read censored, forum (except again, those items that would go beyond the relm of decency).  My suggestion to all is if you don't like what's being said in a thread, then don't partake in the thread, and if you do, as was said in an earlier post, realize that not everyone will agree with your opinions and may take exception to them.  Everyone has the right to join, or leave this forum, whenever they see fit.  I for one, do not want to see the forum limited in it's content because some folks don't like what's discussed.   We're all adults and we've all made the choice to be, or not be here.  Kudos to Neal and the Mods for the great job they're doing...keep this forum just the way it is.  JMHO.

THANKS! Saved me a lot of typing! :)

This is the type of reasoning that makes this site the best. 8)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 09:38:54 PM »

What he said ^ .

It's not a question of content.  It's a question of tolerance and not being so self righteous, self doubting, ignorant or biased that notions other than your own are seen as threatening.

It's solely my own perception of the community here.  But in my mind the travels on this website are surrogate to travels on the road.  If you can't disagree with a riding buddy you'd best find someplace else to spend your time.  Because the road is not for you.  It is populated with every conceivable idea, spin, weirdness and fantasy.  If that's beyond your ability to cope you're not ready to enjoy all the possibilities the asphalt puts before you.

TC and I don't always agree on ideas or what motivates them.  I like him more because of that; not less.  Now what happens; folks with their shorts on too tight get wound up and a good friend decides this stretch of road isn't worth the trouble (at least for awhile).  Intolerance and the self doubt or ignorance that it stems from do not belong between the ears of people that ride toward sunsets or sunrises.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 09:45:25 PM »

I, being one of the offenders, would like to offer my apologies to most everyone. Although it's not entirely my fault, the Gov't didn't send me my Prozac this month. Seriously, I agree this is not the appropriate place for such venting and I do apologize to Osama supporters everywhere.
Hey, I'm taking baby steps.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 09:52:34 PM »

It has happened before.

But Naitram or the mods correct me on how this works.

Others have deleted their account and have come back.

I'm not sure whether they can come back on their own or have to have help from the administrator or moderator but people have deleted themselves and then came back.
*******************************************************************************************************************************

Excellent response Charlie!

Rather than restricting the site, it was long ago decided to let it fly (w/in the rules). Seems a little courtesy, thicker skin and the choice to just avoid certain threads would go a long way.

Also an excellent response Jim!
I also highlighted the part about a thicker skin!

This is the greatest site on the web and I like it just like it is!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 09:55:54 PM »

I can't disagree with your thoughts, RedDevil...  When all is said and done, you are right...

It is just sad when emotions cannot be held in check and it is sad when the result is the loss of a long term member.  I enjoy the motorcycle talk and the friendly banter amongst the membership of the site, but I cringe when I read some threads...like the political threads.  I understand some members are passionate about politics and enjoy debating their views.  I chose to not participate in those threads...because for me it is not the time or place for these discussions.  It is not that I don't have views of my own regarding these topics - it just is simply not why I chose to participate in the site...

I have never met Terry.  No one can deny that he has made solid contributions to the site and membership for a long time.  His detailed instructional threads - complete with pictures were great.  I, for one, will miss him.  He did get extremly emotionally passionate regarding politics...and he sometimes shared some political views that are pretty contrary to mine...but the site was better with him then without him - IMAO.  I am sorry to see him leave.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »

I agree about being able to talk about anything without restriction. My reference to banning it in the title here, is for us to self control it, more than to ban something. I'm probably more Libertarian than anything else. And that would certainly be unconstitutional, even though this site is not a democracy. As a privately owned entity, I respect that Neal tries to let things flow as they may. Like many of you said, we're supposed to be adults here. But many of us maintain that we'll never grow up. Myself at the top of the list. No, I don't want arbitrary restrictions put on us. I might have gotten a little annoyed at the predictable outcome of today's events. But I'm really fine with things just as they are. If ya'll want me to change the tiltle of this, I'd be happy to do so! :2vrolijk_21:

But why can't we all just get along?!!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

So as I said earlier, "Get on your bikes and ride!" ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 21 queries.