Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: SEEG Air Pressure in Air Shocks.  (Read 10726 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: SEEG Air Pressure in Air Shocks.
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2005, 09:51:31 AM »

Relocated air fill valve:
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2005, 01:13:15 AM »

I haven't had that issue with my air shocks, but they do ride like a bumper car.  It is funny, because I was very happy with the stock air shocks on my '95 FLHT.  Put 82K on it by the time I sold it.  Can't figure why these are so rough.  But am planning to change to Progressives also
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2005, 02:42:45 PM »

ive been running 10 lbs in rear shocks and they dont feel all that bad to me. the front end on the other hand is very harsh over the bumps and this will have to be changed soon somehow

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2005, 04:07:38 PM »

Related to the topic of air shocks and Progressive 440's, has anyone with a SEEG or bagger tried out Progressive's new AIRTAIL I.A.S. shocks that are based on the same technology as the 440's? They can come with an optional on-board Compressor Kit which includes compressor, switches and purge valves, integrated pressure gauge, and all necessary fittings, lines, and wiring. There's similar tech with maybe close performance quality to the 440's but with the convenience of remote air pressure adjustment. I like the concept, for sure.

Regards,

axe103

Sounds interesting but that backpack mounted air compressor and having to hook and unhook yourself every time you get on and off the bike would get old pretty quick  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

(ok, just kidding)

Three weekends ago a buddy with an Ultra came back from a business trip hauling some of that kit in his checked luggage.  He'd got it at some shop or show in Los Angeles.  He brought the bike over to my shop that Sunday and we were going to do the install but there was a problem.  Apparently two versions of the "kit."  

One version is a manual air shock kit only.  The same shocks on both packages.  But one comes with plumbing and manual fill valves like any other air shock.  The other comes with the compressor kit and whatever else needs to be there to make the system complete.

He thought he'd bought the complete compressor package.  He only had the shock package.  I'll admit he picture on the box was a bit misleading but.....  well, I was thinking the size might have been a give away.  

Anyway.....

Apparently you can start out with just the shock kit and get the compressor kit as an accessory after the fact.  That's what he's got coming.  Though, of course, there's a backorder.  So if anyone gets interested in the "whole thing" make sure you're getting the whole thing.  For the two kits separately he's going to end up paying about $800.00.  

For me personally, for that much new cost in a rear suspension, it would have to not just show a marked improvement in how well it suspended my butt it would have to massage it as well.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 04:17:27 PM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2005, 07:13:04 PM »

The price is high but it may be worth it, especially if compares with the 440's and the fittings work out well enough. Could you post about your friend's comments on the completed installation or use of the system? I might have just hit it lucky on the timing of this question. I think alot of this forum's bikers would like to know some first-hand on this product.

Regards,

axe103

Sure Axe, no problem.  Whenever he gets the other half of the kit in we'll be installing it here.  The safest end of the wrench he'd dare handle would be the long neck of the beer bottle as he fetches it for you  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2005, 07:25:46 PM »

So, I investigated it myself and found that the 05MY FL CVO manual was indeed incorrect.  It should indeed say “50 psi (354 kPa)” for max and not “35 psi”.  I’ve got access to all manuals in electronic form and the 05MY manual has a note identifying the mis-print.  In looking at other manuals, the 35psi max applies for standard shocks but low-profile ones require more air pressure.  Dealers got a bulletin on this though, and they should have notified customers – especially CVO customers. J

Again, sorry for the delay and even more sorry for the error in the manual.  Hope this helps.

So take note, if your dealership hasn't contacted you yet.

Wow, thanks for this info!!!! I had been riding around with mines at somewhere near 25lbs PSI, went up to about 38lbs PSI today and me and better half went on a ride. What a difference it made (didn't hear as much "ouch" from the rear seat). It is a night and day difference with more air in the shocks it actually feels like there is a suspension back there. Don't get me wrong I will still eventually get the Progressive's but in the meantime this will sure make a difference. Thanks again  [smiley=beerchug.gif].
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

mw8385

• Full CVO Member
  • Oh Yah!
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2005, 11:01:56 PM »

Related to the topic of air shocks and Progressive 440's, has anyone with a SEEG or bagger tried out Progressive's new AIRTAIL I.A.S. shocks that are based on the same technology as the 440's? They can come with an optional on-board Compressor Kit which includes compressor, switches and purge valves, integrated pressure gauge, and all necessary fittings, lines, and wiring. There's similar tech with maybe close performance quality to the 440's but with the convenience of remote air pressure adjustment. I like the concept, for sure.

Regards,

axe103

When I was in Laughlin in April I talked to the Progressive guys and they said that they were going to debut the Airtail I.A.S. shocks in Sturgis. I am waiting for them to come out also!

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 12:17:53 PM »

Anyone else had this problem with their SEEG?  I went to add air to my rear shocks the other day and screwed the air pump all the way down on the valve and did not get anything on the gadge. Then I realized they made the air valve too short to engage the vavle all the way.  I had to unbolt the valve from the bracket to add air to my shocks....somebody FUBAR'd that one!

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 12:36:41 PM »

Anyone else had this problem with their SEEG?  I went to add air to my rear shocks the other day and screwed the air pump all the way down on the valve and did not get anything on the gadge. Then I realized they made the air valve too short to engage the vavle all the way.  I had to unbolt the valve from the bracket to add air to my shocks....somebody FUBAR'd that one!

Never heard that one before.....on this page of the thread! [smiley=drink.gif]
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

ggraves427

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's a clean machine.
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2005, 02:52:26 PM »

Maybe the people at Progressive helped HD with design of the air valve on your bike.  $$$Cha--Ching$$$
2004 B&B, SEEG, Power Commander, S&S dual runner to single bore Tuned Air Induction System , D&D Performance 2 into 1 with fake left side, spoiler lights, LED lights, air horns, front fender spear, chopped tour box, in dash oil temp. guage

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2005, 05:01:12 PM »

I had the same problem on my SEEG and my buddy's SEEG...  I sanded .030 off the nut for mine, and I sanded .042" off of the screw-on-fitting of the pump for his.  It only took a couple of minutes and boom!, no more problems!  
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2005, 05:31:06 PM »

Yes - see previous posts in this thread.  You need a thinner mounting nut for the fitting, and perhaps a new valve core.  It seems that the mounting bracket is thicker than the one the fitting was originally designed for.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 08:25:25 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2005, 08:41:21 AM »

I had the same problem on the valve stem for each tire.  Changed out the stems which corrected the problem and enabled me to add air.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2005, 11:22:16 AM »

I had to relocated the valve also before deciding the shocks suck no matter how much air you put in them (my last excursion was at 50psi and they still bottomed out). I am also interested in the progressive air tail and tryed to purchase them months ago and a call to progressive directly told me they would not be available until Sturgis (may buy while I'm their) will keep you posted... [smiley=cool3.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.