Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: new seat  (Read 11634 times)

aggie

new seat
« on: July 07, 2005, 09:10:51 AM »

Has anyone put a custom seat on their SEFB? I've been thinking about having a custom one made that has the gel insert but I'd hate to loose the chrome around the existing seat. The HD seat seems a bit rough on my butt for longer rides.

MICK THE PICK

• BILD IT WITH ATTITUDE
Re: new seat
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 02:57:19 PM »

yes look at pics MAD DODS & E

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
  • One sweet ride and Red Hot!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 04:05:53 PM »

Has anyone put a custom seat on their SEFB? I've been thinking about having a custom one made that has the gel insert but I'd hate to loose the chrome around the existing seat. The HD seat seems a bit rough on my butt for longer rides.

One member here that I know has added a gel insert in his stock SEFB seat. He says it sits a lot more comfortable now even on those all day long rides. I haven't seen any pics, but he said it still looks stock. All they did was open up the seat and add the gel pad, then close it back up. Others I know have added memory foam to their stock seats and say it works well to, but these are standard FB stock seats. Still it should work for ours too. I need to do something with mine also, just haven't made up my mind which I want to do.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Sandy
Sandy :)

Slick

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 08:49:28 AM »

I sent my seat out to Bill Mayer Saddles on the west coast. E-mailed him a picture of the seat before I sent it and he claimed he could do it. He had a change of heart after getting a better look at the seat with all the chrome around it. He said the seat just wouldn't look right and may ruin the look of the bike(his custom seats are bulky, not very low profile). I had my '99 Buell seat done by him and they really do good work. I guess he just wasn't up to the challenge. I ended up buying a Corbin for the ride down to the Myrtle Beach Rally, more comfortable than the stock seat but looks can't compare.

Going to look aroung the NYC area and see if someone will customize the stock seat, it really is uncomfortable on 100+ mile days.

Mike NYC

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 02:01:50 AM »

I agree to a point on the seat. I have an 05 se fatboy, the seat is horrible compared to some that I have sat on in the way of comfort. I love the way it looks as well. But that being said I wonder to myself, have bikers really become so spoiled that we gripe about something like an uncushy seat on our almost 30 thousand dollar motorcycles, sheesh! I think about the images of the old school bikers who sparked my passsion for Harleys kicking their pans until their shins are bleeding, praying for a spark of that magnito to bring things to life on their HARDTAIL framed bikes, cruising for hundreds of miles at a time with barley a seat at all and ZERO suspension. Here I am complaining about a mildly discomfortable seat on my cushy softail, fuel injected, chromed out, starts every time with a push of my electric start, computer controlled timing, belt driven, chromed out, can just call a toll free number if she by chance breaks down, don't have to carry a drip pan to catch my leaking oil when I park wonder machine?...............am I a friggin biker at all??? [smiley=dunce2.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 02:29:57 AM »

Been there, done that, rode a hardtail on long enough days to wizz in that wonderful cherry color.  Asking for a decent seat (when they can do all those other things anymore) ain't such a big thing to request or expect; especially on a 30,000 dollar motorcycle.

michburt

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 02:40:54 PM »

One member here that I know has added a gel insert in his stock SEFB seat. He says it sits a lot more comfortable now even on those all day long rides. I haven't seen any pics, but he said it still looks stock. All they did was open up the seat and add the gel pad, then close it back up. Others I know have added memory foam to their stock seats and say it works well to, but these are standard FB stock seats. Still it should work for ours too. I need to do something with mine also, just haven't made up my mind which I want to do.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Sandy

HI Sandy,  I had gel put in my seat for the FatBoy SE.  I even had an inch a foam added to the back.  Rides good.

Mike
(remember the corbin seat)
Just plain happy to be here, but then one reaches an age where one is happy to be anywhere.

Hotrodracer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 06:23:19 PM »

Had a gel pack put in with an 1 & 1/2 of foam. Still hurts after about an hour!! I just got a touring seat with a back rest for long rides. Have not put it on yet as the BEAST is still in the shop recovering fron the ditch she went into a few weeks back.

But, watch out when she comes home friday.  She will be totaly different!!!!  HaVE MADE A LOT OF CHANGES TO HER.  will post pictures asap.
Let's Ride

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 02:36:45 PM »

HI Sandy,  I had gel put in my seat for the FatBoy SE.  I even had an inch a foam added to the back.  Rides good.

Mike
(remember the corbin seat)
[/quo

Sorry I'm just getting back to you Mike. Haven't been on this forum in a while. We've been busy with family things, just had out 5th grandbaby a month ago. Anyway I have a few questions for you.

First off, how is the seat working out for you with that gel pad installed inside?

Second, did they take some foam out when they installed it or is the seat now taller?

Third, when you added an inch of foam to the back of the seat did that push you more forward towards the controld or just make the seat sit deeper.

Forth, Where they able to use the same leather cover that came on the seat or did they just add matching leather to it?

I know I'm full of questions, but I do need to do something with this seat. I want to keep the look, so having something done to this one is a must. Will be in Daytona durning Biketoberfest, might try getting something done while down there. But sure do wish I could get it done locally. We're suppose to ride down. That's 7/8 hour in the saddle. OUCH!!!!!!!  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] What am I to do. Sandy

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 03:59:16 PM »

That long in that seat would hurt anyones behind. I too like the seat and the look that it has, but lets face it it's just not a practical seat..no two up.....even with the passenger pavillion you can buy for this seat.....then all you would end up with is someone on the back who also feels your pain.....lol. I figure I am going to keep the stock seat for bar hopping ( don't actually go to much bars......but out for smokes a soda or things like that ) I want to get one similar to the one on my heritage with a little lower profile, possibly in Ostrich skin and add a detacheable sissy bar.

On anopther subject my girlfriend rides a 2001 Dyna Glide with a 103 in it. Now that I have ridden my fatboy with H-D riding his Dyna having some trouble keeping up and just having taken out my girls bike for a ride, I am convinced those bikes are just faster and easier to ride. I know there is a weight difference, and the Dyna is the best handling bike Harley has ever made ( know I will get blasted for that one).but should the weight difference make the bike seem THAT much faster?? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 04:28:41 PM »

Oh Yeah!  reducing weight is just as good as adding HP in the grand scheme of things.  Power to Weight Ratio!  Just ask any of the go-fast racer types.  [smiley=cool3.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Slick

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2005, 05:05:09 PM »

I sent my seat out to MCSeating just outside Detroit to be customized. He added gel insert, about an inch of foam and all new black leather. Should get it back in a few days, I'll let you know how it feels. Also had Screamin' Eagle (with the eagle head) embroided on to the seat. I'll post pix ASAP.

Just got back from a ride put to Coldwater, MI to meet a friend. 1,500 miles round trip. Did the first half in 1 day(ouch! my butt hurt!) I bought a toy and jumped into a toy run in Sturgis, MI...good fun! Rode back to NYC via York, PA and did a tour of the factory.
I think they're open house is coming up so you can tour the Softail assembly line but the CVO part is still off limits.

Mike NYC

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 04:51:18 PM »

That long in that seat would hurt anyones behind. I too like the seat and the look that it has, but lets face it it's just not a practical seat..no two up.....even with the passenger pavillion you can buy for this seat.....then all you would end up with is someone on the back who also feels your pain.....lol. I figure I am going to keep the stock seat for bar hopping ( don't actually go to much bars......but out for smokes a soda or things like that ) I want to get one similar to the one on my heritage with a little lower profile, possibly in Ostrich skin and add a detacheable sissy bar.

On anopther subject my girlfriend rides a 2001 Dyna Glide with a 103 in it. Now that I have ridden my fatboy with H-D riding his Dyna having some trouble keeping up and just having taken out my girls bike for a ride, I am convinced those bikes are just faster and easier to ride. I know there is a weight difference, and the Dyna is the best handling bike Harley has ever made ( know I will get blasted for that one).but should the weight difference make the bike seem THAT much faster?? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Not only is the Dyna lighter than your FB, but more than likely your girlfriend is probably lighter than you also. Add up the difference and she's got more power to spare for sure. My husband use to say that me with my 03 silver and black RKC and the way I had it set up, had the prettiest bike, but he with his 03 SE RK had the fastest. Now he has the Red SE EGlide and I have this Red SE FB. So his story now is that I not only have the prettiest bike, but also the fastest!   [smiley=cherry.gif]  Sandy

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 01:53:53 AM »

Yeah til he gets tired of getting romped by you on your fatboy and has some headwork, cams, pistons etc done to his so that don't happen no more! [smiley=laugh.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 08:29:26 PM »

Just changed out my seat to a two up, Mustang Wide Regal Duke seat. Also added a sissy bar with padded backrest and passenger pegs. The weather has been chit so I have not had a chence to try it out. It feels comfy to sit on parked........haha. It's gonna take getting used to the new look of the bike but it doesn't look bad.In fact I have not really ridden the bike since the remap and tune. I only rode it home from my stealer that day it was completed. I can't wait to try it out on some dry ground ( its been raining here since that day last week. )
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.