Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: 110 recommendations. Opinions please folks  (Read 9654 times)

kiwi

• Full CVO Member
  • Every day above ground is a good day.

• CVO1: SERK3
    • CVO2: Ultra Limited
110 recommendations. Opinions please folks
« on: September 06, 2008, 02:06:31 AM »

I have the 07 SERK which I enjoy riding. Reading about the engine situation after buying the bike and seeing the knowledgable comments on this forum I have decided to seek options from HD Dealers. I said I wanted more grunt in the useable range when riding two up. One has come back to me with this amd
I would welcome your feedback.

Hello Keith bike does need recall 0906 Head and Base Gaskets and ACR Solenoids.
I have spoken with xxxx in regard to the recall parts and what is involved with that work seems a good oppurtunity to do the cam upgrade at the same time as this will save you significant labour costs. options for  the cvo 110 is as follows:

1.Bolt in cam with increased duration,, less cost and smaller gains from this cam # SE 253. the only cam with more duration that will fit with stock cvo heads/springs.

2.Cam and valve spring package, requires all clearances checked and set (piston to valve/guide height etc) #SE 258 and SE spring kit and perfect fit pushrods to suit .

These options are from the SE listings they are taylored to smooth running mid range , higher output set ups are available.
Exhaust options  include V&H true dual headers and a number of slip on mufflers from V&H and S&S parts prices including gst are-V&H true dual headers and sheilds $822 V&H slip ons /choices of round basic,oval, slash. turn down . priced from $771 to $1011 S&S stainless performance ovals $1110 SE cam sets $608
pushrods & spring set $546.

Also needed for cam change are replacement heavy duty rear cam bearings and cam cover gasket/ estimated labour to set up cams and do full clearancing as required would be approx 6-8 hours on top of the warranty job , more if done seperately.
Dyno tuning time  for SERT would be approx 6 hours , the dyno time very much depends on how close the base tune is to what is required, ie more tuning takes more time,less tuning takes less time. dyno charge out is $145/hr + gst
Kiwi 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: 110 recommendations. Opinions please folks
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 02:38:36 AM »

I have the 07 SERK which I enjoy riding. Reading about the engine situation after buying the bike and seeing the knowledgable comments on this forum I have decided to seek options from HD Dealers. I said I wanted more grunt in the useable range when riding two up. One has come back to me with this amd
I would welcome your feedback.

Hello Keith bike does need recall 0906 Head and Base Gaskets and ACR Solenoids.
I have spoken with xxxx in regard to the recall parts and what is involved with that work seems a good oppurtunity to do the cam upgrade at the same time as this will save you significant labour costs. options for  the cvo 110 is as follows:

1.Bolt in cam with increased duration,, less cost and smaller gains from this cam # SE 253. the only cam with more duration that will fit with stock cvo heads/springs.

2.Cam and valve spring package, requires all clearances checked and set (piston to valve/guide height etc) #SE 258 and SE spring kit and perfect fit pushrods to suit .

These options are from the SE listings they are taylored to smooth running mid range , higher output set ups are available.
Exhaust options  include V&H true dual headers and a number of slip on mufflers from V&H and S&S parts prices including gst are-V&H true dual headers and sheilds $822 V&H slip ons /choices of round basic,oval, slash. turn down . priced from $771 to $1011 S&S stainless performance ovals $1110 SE cam sets $608
pushrods & spring set $546.

Also needed for cam change are replacement heavy duty rear cam bearings and cam cover gasket/ estimated labour to set up cams and do full clearancing as required would be approx 6-8 hours on top of the warranty job , more if done seperately.
Dyno tuning time  for SERT would be approx 6 hours , the dyno time very much depends on how close the base tune is to what is required, ie more tuning takes more time,less tuning takes less time. dyno charge out is $145/hr + gst

Welcome aboard kiwielf! Glad to have a fellow B/I SERK3 owner from the other side of the world! :huepfenjump3:

The SE 251 has works out to be a very good match with the 110. It will work with stock US spec stock springs.  I would use a 2:1 exhaust like D&D FatCat with quiet muffler, 50mm throttle body, S&S adjustable pushrods, and new lifters. SE camplate if you have some extra $.

The US cam is the CVO 255. The 253 is the CVO 103 cam.

The 258 will also need higher compression and headwork to perform well. This is a more heavily modifed top end than the 251 job above.

Good luck with your mods! I'd love to come join you over there with my bike sometime! Enjoy this great site man! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 05:35:05 AM »

Cheers Hoist. Thanks for the comments. I will be checking my options carefully and not in a screaming hurry just now as bike is goin good. Will post the other recommendations when I get them. This country is built for cruising on bikes and the scenery is ever changing. Happy to show you around if you get a chance to come over anytime.
Keith
Kiwi 8)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:49:51 AM »

Just a thought and it may have been addressed already but if you do an enhancement will that effect the warranty . I'm hearing that there may be more issues with the 110 down the road and warranty could be an important factor.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 08:27:25 PM »

Hi Bigdog. Yes I am aware that the gaskets and ACR problems are not likely to be the whole story. Damn difficult to work when you don't have all the info needed. That aside I am more concerned that I have a bike that runs strong and will not crap out on me when I am a long long way from home. I will be talking over the various options proposed to me with the dealers and requesting some kind of warranty. If not from HD then from the dealer on their own workmanship etc.
Do you have any info on what other problems we may be in for?
Keith
Kiwi 8)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 01:04:44 PM »

Hi Bigdog. Yes I am aware that the gaskets and ACR problems are not likely to be the whole story. Damn difficult to work when you don't have all the info needed. That aside I am more concerned that I have a bike that runs strong and will not crap out on me when I am a long long way from home. I will be talking over the various options proposed to me with the dealers and requesting some kind of warranty. If not from HD then from the dealer on their own workmanship etc.
Do you have any info on what other problems we may be in for?
Keith
I really do not have specifics but the shop where I was having all my service done candidly talked about Harley has other issues they will have to deal with , Probably due to design. Another person I have meet recently has a son in-law that is a mechanic at a dealership and his exact words were " we are just seeing the tip of the ice burg in 110 issues. To date we have base gaskets , head gaskets, valve guides, acr's , potential crank problems, I had a clutch that ate it's self from the middle out , ECM's seam to have been in question. My guess is every thing is suspect at this point. Hoist keeps saying it, bad design, No argument here. :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:06:36 PM by BIGDOG »
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »

I really do not have specifics but the shop where I was having all my service done candidly talked about Harley has other issues they will have to deal with , Probably due to design. Another person I have meet recently has a son in-law that is a mechanic at a dealership and his exact words were " we are just seeing the tip of the ice burg in 110 issues. To date we have base gaskets , head gaskets, valve guides, acr's , potential crank problems, I had a clutch that ate it's self from the middle out , ECM's seam to have been in question. My guess is every thing is suspect at this point. Hoist keeps saying it, bad design, No argument here. :nixweiss:
How did the moco respond to the problems? Did they cover the expense of repair and or replacement? 
Kiwikeif
Kiwi 8)

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 05:18:32 PM »

How did they respond to the problems?  First by denying they existed for two years, then "in the interest of customer satisfaction" issuing this joke of an upgrade.  Oh, and changing allowable tolerances to make some of them go away.  Add to the growing list short skirt pistons that slap the cylinder walls ("normal" by the way).  Please don't delude yourself into thinking the MOCO is going to take care of you.  The only customers they are interested in satisfying are the stock-holders - and if you've been following the price trend they aren't doing very good at that either.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »

How did they respond to the problems?  First by denying they existed for two years, then "in the interest of customer satisfaction" issuing this joke of an upgrade.  Oh, and changing allowable tolerances to make some of them go away.  Add to the growing list short skirt pistons that slap the cylinder walls ("normal" by the way).  Please don't delude yourself into thinking the MOCO is going to take care of you.  The only customers they are interested in satisfying are the stock-holders - and if you've been following the price trend they aren't doing very good at that either.
This seems to be a consistent theme with every 110.  I was pretty pissed of with moco in 07 as I bought a new model 2006 wide glide with the new frame and six speed. In 07 they bring it out with the 96 motor and a price reduction to boot.  I bought the SERK on impulse. Saw the thing in the shop and it struck me. I have put a couple of thousand kms on her now and I love the bike. I am also old enough not to let negative chit screw my head over so I will sort my options and build a motor I can rely on and that will perform better than the stock motor anyway. To hell with the w---nty as it sounds like I would be pushing chit uphill with a pointy stick trying to get satisfaction from HD and I would lose too much riding time mucking around and arguing with them while they pile on the bullchit. Life is for ridin and lovin. Thanks for the post.
Kiwi.
Kiwi 8)

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

• CVO1: '07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »

Hi Kiwikeif,

I am a newbie to this site and have an '07 SEK. To date I have had no problems, leaks, issues or rattles and done over 10,000 miles.

I was unaware of this site and the 110 issues but I don't intend to get 'freaked' from what I have read. However I am not 'up there' with most of the mechanics who's threads I have read on this site and I am in awe of their technical capabilities (most of the time I have trouble understanding their language - particularly when they use acronyms!). But I am interested in having some upgrade/modifications done so I am interested to hear what you are doing and Why. All I have done so far is a Stage1 and some V&H oval slip-ons. Bike runs and sounds great.

So tell me have you been notified by MoCo of the 'recall' or were your local dealers aware? Not too sure if we are treated differently as non USA customers?

By the way we were out in NZ last year and hope to get out again next January/February - absolutely loved the place, but did not get the chance to get out on a Harley but would love to meet up if the opportunity arises.  :coolblue:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:35:02 AM by Magellan »
"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde :coolblue:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 09:37:17 AM »

Welcome from south Florida Kiwi!..I imagine you hearf rom the dissatisfied more so than folks that had or have no major problems...I recently sold my 07 serk with 7k miles, no problems with the motor...Ordered a 09, so I will crow like a rooster if it gives me grief...By the way this company had been building pretty crappy bikes for over a hundred years and are good at it.   ;)

Hope to make it over for ride someday, it is on the bucket list!

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 03:58:46 PM »

Hi Kiwikeif,

I am a newbie to this site and have an '07 SEK. To date I have had no problems, leaks, issues or rattles and done over 10,000 miles.

I was unaware of this site and the 110 issues but I don't intend to get 'freaked' from what I have read. However I am not 'up there' with most of the mechanics who's threads I have read on this site and I am in awe of their technical capabilities (most of the time I have trouble understanding their language - particularly when they use acronyms!). But I am interested in having some upgrade/modifications done so I am interested to hear what you are doing and Why. All I have done so far is a Stage1 and some V&H oval slip-ons. Bike runs and sounds great.

So tell me have you been notified by MoCo of the 'recall' or were your local dealers aware? Not too sure if we are treated differently as non USA customers?

By the way we were out in NZ last year and hope to get out again next January/February - absolutely loved the place, but did not get the chance to get out on a Harley but would love to meet up if the opportunity arises.  :coolblue:
Nice to hear from you coolblue. My motor has not caused a problem for me yet. Reading the info on this site about the 110 and the piss poor response from moco quite frankly put the chits up me. Had a mental vision of me and mum miles away from home with a stuffed engine screwing up our holiday (vacation) time. Anyway there are guys on here who have done things to their bikes that are willing to help with advice etc. My dealers engine guy said the thing they have encountered as the main problem is porous cylinders and heads. If they pull a problem engine and find this is the reason they replaced the part(s) and in one case so far they have replaced the entire engine. I am sorting through all kinds of options (and there are many) then I will have the bike in for the gasket job so the mechanics can check whether my cylinders are ok or not. I will post what happens as I go through the process for those that may be interested.
The moco told me nothing. I approached the dealer and he verified what I had been told on this site.
Always willing to meet new friends and go for a ride. Keep in touch if you are coming out this way again for sure.
Kiwi
Kiwi 8)

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 04:06:14 PM »

Welcome from south Florida Kiwi!..I imagine you heard rom the dissatisfied more so than folks that had or have no major problems...I recently sold my 07 serk with 7k miles, no problems with the motor...Ordered a 09, so I will crow like a rooster if it gives me grief...By the way this company had been building pretty crappy bikes for over a hundred years and are good at it.   ;)

Hope to make it over for ride someday, it is on the bucket list!
Thanks for that. We were told in New Zealand that CVO were not doing a Road King in 09??  I hope getting to NZ is one thing you get to cross off your bucket list because this is a great place for cruising on motorcycles for sure.
Regards, Kiwikeif
Kiwi 8)

ox666

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE4
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 07:38:51 PM »

Keith,

Just come from the dealer.  partway through 1500km svc, pipes etc and 0906.  Cylinders and everything good as gold so any further mods I'll leave for now.   I'll keep you posted.   

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »

Thanks for that. We were told in New Zealand that CVO were not doing a Road King in 09??  I hope getting to NZ is one thing you get to cross off your bucket list because this is a great place for cruising on motorcycles for sure.
Regards, Kiwikeif

Yeah man...No Rk in 09
I did install a Rinehart2-1 pipe and SERT with the air/fuel ratio fattened up.
It always ran cool and pulled strong without fouling the plugs.. Chin chin   :drink:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 21 queries.