Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: 110 recommendations. Opinions please folks  (Read 9651 times)

kiwi

• Full CVO Member
  • Every day above ground is a good day.

• CVO1: SERK3
    • CVO2: Ultra Limited
110 recommendations. Opinions please folks
« on: September 06, 2008, 02:06:31 AM »

I have the 07 SERK which I enjoy riding. Reading about the engine situation after buying the bike and seeing the knowledgable comments on this forum I have decided to seek options from HD Dealers. I said I wanted more grunt in the useable range when riding two up. One has come back to me with this amd
I would welcome your feedback.

Hello Keith bike does need recall 0906 Head and Base Gaskets and ACR Solenoids.
I have spoken with xxxx in regard to the recall parts and what is involved with that work seems a good oppurtunity to do the cam upgrade at the same time as this will save you significant labour costs. options for  the cvo 110 is as follows:

1.Bolt in cam with increased duration,, less cost and smaller gains from this cam # SE 253. the only cam with more duration that will fit with stock cvo heads/springs.

2.Cam and valve spring package, requires all clearances checked and set (piston to valve/guide height etc) #SE 258 and SE spring kit and perfect fit pushrods to suit .

These options are from the SE listings they are taylored to smooth running mid range , higher output set ups are available.
Exhaust options  include V&H true dual headers and a number of slip on mufflers from V&H and S&S parts prices including gst are-V&H true dual headers and sheilds $822 V&H slip ons /choices of round basic,oval, slash. turn down . priced from $771 to $1011 S&S stainless performance ovals $1110 SE cam sets $608
pushrods & spring set $546.

Also needed for cam change are replacement heavy duty rear cam bearings and cam cover gasket/ estimated labour to set up cams and do full clearancing as required would be approx 6-8 hours on top of the warranty job , more if done seperately.
Dyno tuning time  for SERT would be approx 6 hours , the dyno time very much depends on how close the base tune is to what is required, ie more tuning takes more time,less tuning takes less time. dyno charge out is $145/hr + gst
Kiwi 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: 110 recommendations. Opinions please folks
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 02:38:36 AM »

I have the 07 SERK which I enjoy riding. Reading about the engine situation after buying the bike and seeing the knowledgable comments on this forum I have decided to seek options from HD Dealers. I said I wanted more grunt in the useable range when riding two up. One has come back to me with this amd
I would welcome your feedback.

Hello Keith bike does need recall 0906 Head and Base Gaskets and ACR Solenoids.
I have spoken with xxxx in regard to the recall parts and what is involved with that work seems a good oppurtunity to do the cam upgrade at the same time as this will save you significant labour costs. options for  the cvo 110 is as follows:

1.Bolt in cam with increased duration,, less cost and smaller gains from this cam # SE 253. the only cam with more duration that will fit with stock cvo heads/springs.

2.Cam and valve spring package, requires all clearances checked and set (piston to valve/guide height etc) #SE 258 and SE spring kit and perfect fit pushrods to suit .

These options are from the SE listings they are taylored to smooth running mid range , higher output set ups are available.
Exhaust options  include V&H true dual headers and a number of slip on mufflers from V&H and S&S parts prices including gst are-V&H true dual headers and sheilds $822 V&H slip ons /choices of round basic,oval, slash. turn down . priced from $771 to $1011 S&S stainless performance ovals $1110 SE cam sets $608
pushrods & spring set $546.

Also needed for cam change are replacement heavy duty rear cam bearings and cam cover gasket/ estimated labour to set up cams and do full clearancing as required would be approx 6-8 hours on top of the warranty job , more if done seperately.
Dyno tuning time  for SERT would be approx 6 hours , the dyno time very much depends on how close the base tune is to what is required, ie more tuning takes more time,less tuning takes less time. dyno charge out is $145/hr + gst

Welcome aboard kiwielf! Glad to have a fellow B/I SERK3 owner from the other side of the world! :huepfenjump3:

The SE 251 has works out to be a very good match with the 110. It will work with stock US spec stock springs.  I would use a 2:1 exhaust like D&D FatCat with quiet muffler, 50mm throttle body, S&S adjustable pushrods, and new lifters. SE camplate if you have some extra $.

The US cam is the CVO 255. The 253 is the CVO 103 cam.

The 258 will also need higher compression and headwork to perform well. This is a more heavily modifed top end than the 251 job above.

Good luck with your mods! I'd love to come join you over there with my bike sometime! Enjoy this great site man! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 05:35:05 AM »

Cheers Hoist. Thanks for the comments. I will be checking my options carefully and not in a screaming hurry just now as bike is goin good. Will post the other recommendations when I get them. This country is built for cruising on bikes and the scenery is ever changing. Happy to show you around if you get a chance to come over anytime.
Keith
Kiwi 8)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:49:51 AM »

Just a thought and it may have been addressed already but if you do an enhancement will that effect the warranty . I'm hearing that there may be more issues with the 110 down the road and warranty could be an important factor.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 08:27:25 PM »

Hi Bigdog. Yes I am aware that the gaskets and ACR problems are not likely to be the whole story. Damn difficult to work when you don't have all the info needed. That aside I am more concerned that I have a bike that runs strong and will not crap out on me when I am a long long way from home. I will be talking over the various options proposed to me with the dealers and requesting some kind of warranty. If not from HD then from the dealer on their own workmanship etc.
Do you have any info on what other problems we may be in for?
Keith
Kiwi 8)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 01:04:44 PM »

Hi Bigdog. Yes I am aware that the gaskets and ACR problems are not likely to be the whole story. Damn difficult to work when you don't have all the info needed. That aside I am more concerned that I have a bike that runs strong and will not crap out on me when I am a long long way from home. I will be talking over the various options proposed to me with the dealers and requesting some kind of warranty. If not from HD then from the dealer on their own workmanship etc.
Do you have any info on what other problems we may be in for?
Keith
I really do not have specifics but the shop where I was having all my service done candidly talked about Harley has other issues they will have to deal with , Probably due to design. Another person I have meet recently has a son in-law that is a mechanic at a dealership and his exact words were " we are just seeing the tip of the ice burg in 110 issues. To date we have base gaskets , head gaskets, valve guides, acr's , potential crank problems, I had a clutch that ate it's self from the middle out , ECM's seam to have been in question. My guess is every thing is suspect at this point. Hoist keeps saying it, bad design, No argument here. :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:06:36 PM by BIGDOG »
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »

I really do not have specifics but the shop where I was having all my service done candidly talked about Harley has other issues they will have to deal with , Probably due to design. Another person I have meet recently has a son in-law that is a mechanic at a dealership and his exact words were " we are just seeing the tip of the ice burg in 110 issues. To date we have base gaskets , head gaskets, valve guides, acr's , potential crank problems, I had a clutch that ate it's self from the middle out , ECM's seam to have been in question. My guess is every thing is suspect at this point. Hoist keeps saying it, bad design, No argument here. :nixweiss:
How did the moco respond to the problems? Did they cover the expense of repair and or replacement? 
Kiwikeif
Kiwi 8)

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 05:18:32 PM »

How did they respond to the problems?  First by denying they existed for two years, then "in the interest of customer satisfaction" issuing this joke of an upgrade.  Oh, and changing allowable tolerances to make some of them go away.  Add to the growing list short skirt pistons that slap the cylinder walls ("normal" by the way).  Please don't delude yourself into thinking the MOCO is going to take care of you.  The only customers they are interested in satisfying are the stock-holders - and if you've been following the price trend they aren't doing very good at that either.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »

How did they respond to the problems?  First by denying they existed for two years, then "in the interest of customer satisfaction" issuing this joke of an upgrade.  Oh, and changing allowable tolerances to make some of them go away.  Add to the growing list short skirt pistons that slap the cylinder walls ("normal" by the way).  Please don't delude yourself into thinking the MOCO is going to take care of you.  The only customers they are interested in satisfying are the stock-holders - and if you've been following the price trend they aren't doing very good at that either.
This seems to be a consistent theme with every 110.  I was pretty pissed of with moco in 07 as I bought a new model 2006 wide glide with the new frame and six speed. In 07 they bring it out with the 96 motor and a price reduction to boot.  I bought the SERK on impulse. Saw the thing in the shop and it struck me. I have put a couple of thousand kms on her now and I love the bike. I am also old enough not to let negative chit screw my head over so I will sort my options and build a motor I can rely on and that will perform better than the stock motor anyway. To hell with the w---nty as it sounds like I would be pushing chit uphill with a pointy stick trying to get satisfaction from HD and I would lose too much riding time mucking around and arguing with them while they pile on the bullchit. Life is for ridin and lovin. Thanks for the post.
Kiwi.
Kiwi 8)

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

• CVO1: '07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »

Hi Kiwikeif,

I am a newbie to this site and have an '07 SEK. To date I have had no problems, leaks, issues or rattles and done over 10,000 miles.

I was unaware of this site and the 110 issues but I don't intend to get 'freaked' from what I have read. However I am not 'up there' with most of the mechanics who's threads I have read on this site and I am in awe of their technical capabilities (most of the time I have trouble understanding their language - particularly when they use acronyms!). But I am interested in having some upgrade/modifications done so I am interested to hear what you are doing and Why. All I have done so far is a Stage1 and some V&H oval slip-ons. Bike runs and sounds great.

So tell me have you been notified by MoCo of the 'recall' or were your local dealers aware? Not too sure if we are treated differently as non USA customers?

By the way we were out in NZ last year and hope to get out again next January/February - absolutely loved the place, but did not get the chance to get out on a Harley but would love to meet up if the opportunity arises.  :coolblue:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:35:02 AM by Magellan »
"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde :coolblue:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 09:37:17 AM »

Welcome from south Florida Kiwi!..I imagine you hearf rom the dissatisfied more so than folks that had or have no major problems...I recently sold my 07 serk with 7k miles, no problems with the motor...Ordered a 09, so I will crow like a rooster if it gives me grief...By the way this company had been building pretty crappy bikes for over a hundred years and are good at it.   ;)

Hope to make it over for ride someday, it is on the bucket list!

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 03:58:46 PM »

Hi Kiwikeif,

I am a newbie to this site and have an '07 SEK. To date I have had no problems, leaks, issues or rattles and done over 10,000 miles.

I was unaware of this site and the 110 issues but I don't intend to get 'freaked' from what I have read. However I am not 'up there' with most of the mechanics who's threads I have read on this site and I am in awe of their technical capabilities (most of the time I have trouble understanding their language - particularly when they use acronyms!). But I am interested in having some upgrade/modifications done so I am interested to hear what you are doing and Why. All I have done so far is a Stage1 and some V&H oval slip-ons. Bike runs and sounds great.

So tell me have you been notified by MoCo of the 'recall' or were your local dealers aware? Not too sure if we are treated differently as non USA customers?

By the way we were out in NZ last year and hope to get out again next January/February - absolutely loved the place, but did not get the chance to get out on a Harley but would love to meet up if the opportunity arises.  :coolblue:
Nice to hear from you coolblue. My motor has not caused a problem for me yet. Reading the info on this site about the 110 and the piss poor response from moco quite frankly put the chits up me. Had a mental vision of me and mum miles away from home with a stuffed engine screwing up our holiday (vacation) time. Anyway there are guys on here who have done things to their bikes that are willing to help with advice etc. My dealers engine guy said the thing they have encountered as the main problem is porous cylinders and heads. If they pull a problem engine and find this is the reason they replaced the part(s) and in one case so far they have replaced the entire engine. I am sorting through all kinds of options (and there are many) then I will have the bike in for the gasket job so the mechanics can check whether my cylinders are ok or not. I will post what happens as I go through the process for those that may be interested.
The moco told me nothing. I approached the dealer and he verified what I had been told on this site.
Always willing to meet new friends and go for a ride. Keep in touch if you are coming out this way again for sure.
Kiwi
Kiwi 8)

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 04:06:14 PM »

Welcome from south Florida Kiwi!..I imagine you heard rom the dissatisfied more so than folks that had or have no major problems...I recently sold my 07 serk with 7k miles, no problems with the motor...Ordered a 09, so I will crow like a rooster if it gives me grief...By the way this company had been building pretty crappy bikes for over a hundred years and are good at it.   ;)

Hope to make it over for ride someday, it is on the bucket list!
Thanks for that. We were told in New Zealand that CVO were not doing a Road King in 09??  I hope getting to NZ is one thing you get to cross off your bucket list because this is a great place for cruising on motorcycles for sure.
Regards, Kiwikeif
Kiwi 8)

ox666

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE4
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 07:38:51 PM »

Keith,

Just come from the dealer.  partway through 1500km svc, pipes etc and 0906.  Cylinders and everything good as gold so any further mods I'll leave for now.   I'll keep you posted.   

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 07:46:49 PM »

Thanks for that. We were told in New Zealand that CVO were not doing a Road King in 09??  I hope getting to NZ is one thing you get to cross off your bucket list because this is a great place for cruising on motorcycles for sure.
Regards, Kiwikeif

Yeah man...No Rk in 09
I did install a Rinehart2-1 pipe and SERT with the air/fuel ratio fattened up.
It always ran cool and pulled strong without fouling the plugs.. Chin chin   :drink:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 09:54:49 PM »

I rode Ghost Rider's 110 SERK while visiting Twolane in Joplin MO. this past weekend. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. If you want to know what to do to make one of these puppies run like a scalded dog, my advice would be to ask him what he had done to his.

B B

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 09:58:41 PM »

I rode Ghost Rider's 110 SERK while visiting Twolane in Joplin MO. this past weekend. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. If you want to know what to do to make one of these puppies run like a scalded dog, my advice would be to ask him what he had done to his.

B B
Thanks for the advice. How do I find Ghostriders addy?
Kiwikeif.
Kiwi 8)

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 10:03:13 PM »

Keith,

Just come from the dealer.  partway through 1500km svc, pipes etc and 0906.  Cylinders and everything good as gold so any further mods I'll leave for now.   I'll keep you posted.   
Likewise Ox, Cheers.
Kiwikeif
Kiwi 8)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 10:47:03 PM »

Kiwikeif.

Click on his handle in the "MEMBERS" section

B B

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 12:03:04 AM »

Just lil ole 251's with a touch of compression. A little massaging and it rides GREAT!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 12:14:29 AM »

Just lil ole 251's with a touch of compression. A little massaging and it rides GREAT!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
Hi Hoist. How did you get the compression up? Headwork or pistons?
Kiwi
Kiwi 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 12:19:34 AM »

Hi Hoist. How did you get the compression up? Headwork or pistons?
Kiwi

That's Travis' bike kiwi. He changed pistons for the comp, and used 251's. Let him jump in and talk about the build. But it's nothing radical, and pulls real nice! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 03:48:39 AM »

Kiwikeif.

Keith, when you contact Ghostrider to find out what he did, would you mind sharing it with me please. I am keen to do some engine/performance changes, but need a couple of pointers in the right direction.

Magellan :coolblue:

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 05:12:55 AM »

Keith, when you contact Ghostrider to find out what he did, would you mind sharing it with me please. I am keen to do some engine/performance changes, but need a couple of pointers in the right direction.

Magellan :coolblue:
No sweat mate. I reckon if you keep an eye on this thread all info will pass along.
Kiwi
Kiwi 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 08:15:41 AM »

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 02:27:19 PM »

Ghost Rider; http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2596

Hoist! 8)

Thanks very much for that Hoist.

Keith, as you started this I will let you take it forward with Ghost Rider and just wait for your updates.

Appreciate all this assistance - cheers!  :coolblue:

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 10:22:17 AM »

Hey Guys,

Sorry for not jumping in sooner.  I just missed this thread somehow.  I have exchanged a couple of PM's with Kiwi, but here is what we have been discussing.

First recommendation is to spend a lot of time talking with your engine builder and tuner.  You have to define how and what you want the bike to do in order put together the best combination of components to meet your goal.  My goal was a strong increase in low end torque and so we used these items.

SE251 cams
Horsepower Inc throttle body 51mm
Custom Pistons 10.5:1 compression
Cometic head gaskets
Rinehart true duals.
Arlen Ness Big sucker air cleaner
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner - "Be sure to ask your tuner what system they recommend"

After these upgrades and braking in the engine again, it dyno'd at 119hp and 123tq.  However, the "in the saddle dyno" is much more reliable than any machine.  The fact that guys like Spiderman, Silver-Black, Hoist, and Twolane, have ridden it and come back smiling means much more to me.

If any one has any other questions feel free to PM me.

Later,
Ghost

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 11:15:51 AM »

ghost rider,
saw your chart on the serk dyno page...very impressive...was the "before" chart stock or stage 1?
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 11:53:51 AM »

Hey Guys,

Sorry for not jumping in sooner.  I just missed this thread somehow.  I have exchanged a couple of PM's with Kiwi, but here is what we have been discussing.

First recommendation is to spend a lot of time talking with your engine builder and tuner.  You have to define how and what you want the bike to do in order put together the best combination of components to meet your goal.  My goal was a strong increase in low end torque and so we used these items.

SE251 cams
Cometic head gaskets
Rinehart true duals.
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner - "Be sure to ask your tuner what system they recommend"

After these upgrades and braking in the engine again, it dyno'd at 119hp and 123tq.  However, the "in the saddle dyno" is much more reliable than any machine.  The fact that guys like Spiderman, Silver-Black, Hoist, and Twolane, have ridden it and come back smiling means much more to me.

If any one has any other questions feel free to PM me.

Later,
Ghost

Hi Ghost Rider,

Many thanks for that it is really appreciated and gives me a good place to start from. And in my case I need all the help I can get!!

To say that I am not technically competent is actually exaggerating my capabilities! So if it is OK with you, and I need further assistance can I also send you the odd PM? One thing you may be able to assist with now is with regard to the True Duals as I don't know if this is just a UK issue or not. My bike has a sensor along the right-side of the exhaust pipe a few inches before where the slip-ons would attach. What happens to this sensor when you fit TD's?

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »

ghost rider,
saw your chart on the serk dyno page...very impressive...was the "before" chart stock or stage 1?

The "before" was a stock 110, not mine (I think its been 18 months and several  :drink: ago)

Hi Ghost Rider,

Many thanks for that it is really appreciated and gives me a good place to start from. And in my case I need all the help I can get!!

To say that I am not technically competent is actually exaggerating my capabilities! So if it is OK with you, and I need further assistance can I also send you the odd PM? One thing you may be able to assist with now is with regard to the True Duals as I don't know if this is just a UK issue or not. My bike has a sensor along the right-side of the exhaust pipe a few inches before where the slip-ons would attach. What happens to this sensor when you fit TD's?

Magellan,

Feel free to PM anytime.  I'm no wrench either, but you have a wealth of information at your fingertips on this site.

The Rineharts (and most others) have the holes for the O2 sensors in the header pipes and should swap out rather easily.  You could contact Nige (aka BalDeagle), he is on that side of the pond with you and would probably know more about the differences between US and UK bikes.

Later,
Travis

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2008, 02:18:46 PM »

"My bike has a sensor along the right-side of the exhaust pipe a few inches before where the slip-ons would attach."

That wouldn't be the "active exhaust" system with the diverter valve, would it?  I understand the international models included that some years.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 01:11:08 PM »

"My bike has a sensor along the right-side of the exhaust pipe a few inches before where the slip-ons would attach."

That wouldn't be the "active exhaust" system with the diverter valve, would it?  I understand the international models included that some years.

Not too sure if it is a diverter valve, but it is certainly part of the "active exhaust" system and all the UK '07 CVO models have them. Not too sure though what the implication is and whether it prevents me from going down the True Duals route??

Was it only the international models that had this? Can it be removed? If so will it affect the exhaust system? Any help as to how I can get around it would be greatly appreciated.  :coolblue:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 01:13:16 PM by Magellan »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 01:18:09 PM »

Not too sure if it is a diverter valve, but it is certainly part of the "active exhaust" system and all the UK '07 CVO models have them. Not too sure though what the implication is and whether it prevents me from going down the True Duals route??

Was it only the international models that had this? Can it be removed? If so will it affect the exhaust system? Any help as to how I can get around it would be greatly appreciated.  :coolblue:

Remove em for any exhaust you want, and use a PC with flapper eliminators! Talk to Nige or Jacques! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2008, 01:33:31 PM »

Remove em for any exhaust you want, and use a PC with flapper eliminators! Talk to Nige or Jacques! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Thanks for that and I will contact Nige or Jacques - but excuse my ignorance, what is a PC??

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2008, 04:52:28 PM »

Thanks for that and I will contact Nige or Jacques - but excuse my ignorance, what is a PC??

Power Commander...a device that works in conjunction with the stock ECM to control air/fuel, timing, etc.  It's a tuning device.  SERT (screamin' eagle race tuner) is another one.  Find a tuner you can trust and use whichever one he/she is most comfortable with.  Generally, a HD dealer is NOT the place to have a bike tuned.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 06:39:51 PM »

Power Commander...a device that works in conjunction with the stock ECM to control air/fuel, timing, etc.  It's a tuning device.  SERT (screamin' eagle race tuner) is another one.  Find a tuner you can trust and use whichever one he/she is most comfortable with.  Generally, a HD dealer is NOT the place to have a bike tuned.

Does your Yamaha have a SERT or a PC ?

B B

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »

Does your Yamaha have a SERT or a PC ?

B B

It doesn't need one....it runs fine STOCK.

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 06:48:58 PM »

:whip: :whip:

:huepfenlol2:

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 06:54:13 PM »

Doh! I should have known that!

At the moment I don't have either - that is one of the modifications I would like to do over the winter. I have read sveral threads on the site concerning this topic and I am leaning towards a PC???

The problem is we don't have as many options regarding '...a tuner you can trust...' as you do in the States. And even less who have any experience of working with Harleys.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:57:53 PM by Magellan »

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2008, 06:55:27 PM »

At the moment I don't have either - that is one of the modifications I would like to do over the winter. I have read sveral threads on the site concerning this topic and I am leaning towards a PC???

The problem is we don't have as many options regarding '...a tuner you can trust...' as you do in the States.

It ain't that hard to learn....really...

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2008, 07:01:07 PM »

The problem is we don't have as many options regarding '...a tuner you can trust...' as you do in the States. And even less who have any experience of working with Harleys.

Whatever your best option is for a competent tuner...use what he/she suggests.  Both work well in the right hands.

TTS Mastertune

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »

Here is a pic of the sensor in question on the stock pipes.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2008, 07:07:07 PM »

That's your flapper system! ???

I think there's an issue with their flappers over there in Europe. And Dyna made Flapper Eliminators for them for the PC. I'm not sure on this. It was discussed last year. Check with the European Vets here. They'll steer you Flapper Free!!! ;D ;)

(BTW, Flappers are my term for your exhaust control dampers, or whatever they are)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 07:08:48 PM by Hoist! »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2008, 07:09:20 PM »

A lot of new Harley owners feel the same way about their H-D's.

Like a blind man who has never seen, what do you have to compare it to

B B

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2008, 07:09:47 PM »

Here is a another pic of the sensor in question on the stock pipes.

Taken from underneath the bike.

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2008, 07:14:03 PM »

The flappers are tied to your ECM over there I believe. You can't just disconnect them. They have ways of bypassing them though. We don't have them here in the US. But it's been discussed before here. Someone will chime in who knows. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2008, 07:17:05 PM »

Thanks Hoist - I thought that they couldn't just be disconnected, although I know sombody with a CVO Springer who has done just that and 'claims' that there has been no repercussions.....yet!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2008, 12:03:04 AM »

A lot of new Harley owners feel the same way about their H-D's.

Like a blind man who has never seen, what do you have to compare it to

B B

Brian, I've never had a bone to pick with you.  Are you picking on me because I bought something I could afford to ride at this point in time, or is the question rhetorical?

I'm certainly not as experienced with HD as you, or many others on the site, but I do know when something runs right, or does not. My 103 needed improvement, and I did the minimal things to make it run as it was capable of running, with the stock mechanical parts supplied by HD.  I then went further to actually make it stop better. The stock Stratoliner YAMAHA could probably be improved as well, but with 113" motor out of the crate, a decent exhaust system, smooth throttle response, good TQ from 2-3K, nice ride, good steering, good frame, excellent brakes, I'm not complaining at this point.  No excess heat, and I don't have to do motor work to make it better.  There is a 120 kit for it...just a jug change and pistons.

I had a panhead a long time ago...I've riden all kinds of Hondas, Yamahas, and recently owned a Ducati, and a V rod.  Is that a good enough point of reference?  I also tweaked a few Chevy's in my day...like E-Gas motors...does that make me qualified to respond to someone about a question regarding what a PC is?  I may be farsighted, but I'm not blind.

TTS Mastertune

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2008, 05:05:20 AM »

Hi GhostRider,

In an earlier post, you said that the following mods really improve the 110 engine:-

SE251 cams
Cometic head gaskets
Rinehart true duals.
Screaming Eagle Race Tuner - "Be sure to ask your tuner what system they recommend"

Well, my motor smashed a crank sensor last weekend - 1000 miles on the clock and just serviced!! It is now back with the dealer awaiting a response from Harley as to how to deal with it - rebuild or replace..........

My question (at last)..........do you know of any supplier that could get the parts you used to Singapore?
All such parts have to be ordered on line here and I am rather less than mechanically minded.
 I have also been told that even changing the exhaust system voids the warranty here!!

Many thanks............

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2008, 11:15:22 AM »

First off, the United States Postal Service (USPS) ships anywhere in the world. The shipper would have to fill out a form and declare the contents of the boxes, but that's about the only red tape. I have a question about the rest of your post. If as you say even the slightest of mods voids your warranty, how do you plan to get all of the parts installed once they arrive ?  I have a mental picture of a distinct lack of top notch independant H-D shops in Singapore

B B

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2008, 09:07:17 PM »

Hi Spiderman,

Many thanks for your message.

There only one Harley dealer in Singapore, and their advice that even changing the exhaust would void the warranty.

My dilemma is that there has not yet been an indication as to how Harley will deal with the issue.
I understand that in the US, they put a new engine in a box and send it to the dealer for replacement.
I do not know if that will be the case here.

I was enquiring, in case they go the rebuild route and would then ask for the modifications to be made during the rebuild.

The warranty expires in Jan 09 - if it is not extended, I will have the mods done.

Best Regards and Safe Riding......

Cheers.....

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2008, 10:12:03 PM »

Japan is full of Indy H-D shops and some incredible wrenches. These guys worship H-D like Buddha. I found a couple in Yokosuka while I was living there tucked away on side streets and spent hours swapping stories with the guys that ran the shops. There's even more small shops in Yokohama and there's two H-D dealerships there as well  (to say nothing of the best noodle shops in all of Nippon.)   Being a US citizen, you're not subject to the same restrictions on mods you'd be if you were a Japanese national. Were I you, I'd put my bike in a conex box, ship it to Yokohama and have all the mods done there. You're not that far from Japan as compare to mainland USA.

B B

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2008, 01:30:03 AM »

Hi BB,

Many thanks...........

I think I will await the result from Harley before taking what appears to be a large step.

Having lived in this part of the world for many years - and being a Brit - I can imagine the
hurdles that would have to be overcome.  I will investigate though.

Cheers.....

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2008, 10:15:33 AM »

Hi GhostRider,

In an earlier post, you said that the following mods really improve the 110 engine:-

SE251 cams
Cometic head gaskets
Rinehart true duals.
Screaming Eagle Race Tuner - "Be sure to ask your tuner what system they recommend"

Well, my motor smashed a crank sensor last weekend - 1000 miles on the clock and just serviced!! It is now back with the dealer awaiting a response from Harley as to how to deal with it - rebuild or replace..........

My question (at last)..........do you know of any supplier that could get the parts you used to Singapore?
All such parts have to be ordered on line here and I am rather less than mechanically minded.
 I have also been told that even changing the exhaust system voids the warranty here!!

Many thanks............

Colcop,

You have already received some good input from Big B.  I will add that most of these items can be purchased on ebay, and most of those vendors ship worldwide.  You can also order the HD parts online from Chicago HD, Zanotti's, Lake Shore, or others at a 20% discount.  You could also contact Jenni and see if she can source all the parts for you.

Good Luck,
Travis

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »

Hi Travis,

All the advice has been most appreciated.
Am perplexed because only had the bike a month or so and it was my first for
about 34 years....................

Harley have advised the dealer to strip the motor and check the crank before making any
comment on remedial action.  I will have time to chase up the leads you have given me.

Regards

Colin.

ox666

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE4
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2008, 12:07:58 PM »

Colcop,

You can also order the HD parts online from Chicago HD, Zanotti's, Lake Shore, or others at a 20% discount.  You could also contact Jenni and see if she can source all the parts for you.

Good Luck,
Travis

I won't go near Chicago HD again, despite the discount.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2008, 12:52:02 PM »

Hi Kiwikeif,

Did you add a V&H FuelPack at the same time as your stage 1?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2008, 02:41:27 PM »

Hi GhostRider,

SE251 cams
Cometic head gaskets
Rinehart true duals.

Many thanks............

Ghostrider,

I would suggest using the Harley 10.5 to 1 pistons they are a top shelf item, even when compared to after market.  The second comment is I would look to the 55 mm throttlebody over the 51.   These heads even in their most basic form like air.   You will notice that in 08 Harley released the bikes with a 50mm over the 07 version of the 46 mm.   There aftermarket is a 58 mm.   I personally would not go smaller than a 55 and have the 58 on my bike.

HD 22502-07 Forged Piston

I would recommend using Jenny or Lakeshore for your parts.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 02:45:51 PM by The Belt Snapper »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2008, 04:37:48 PM »

Did you add a V&H FuelPack at the same time as your stage 1?

Hi Smiler, I did have a fuel pack fitted but not the V&H. It was the Ness Big Shot 07 version. This was the dealers suggestion at the time!?

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2008, 04:53:30 PM »

Ghostrider,

I would suggest using the Harley 10.5 to 1 pistons they are a top shelf item, even when compared to after market.  The second comment is I would look to the 55 mm throttlebody over the 51.   These heads even in their most basic form like air.   You will notice that in 08 Harley released the bikes with a 50mm over the 07 version of the 46 mm.   There aftermarket is a 58 mm.   I personally would not go smaller than a 55 and have the 58 on my bike.

HD 22502-07 Forged Piston

I would recommend using Jenny or Lakeshore for your parts.

Just to be clear.  I'm not making suggestions.  I was asked what I did on my bike.  My engine builder chose what he felt was the best combination of parts for the low end torque we were trying to achieve.  Others have gone with bigger throttle bodies and have had good results, its your bike your choice.  Also, I'll take my CP pistons over anything off the Harley shelf.

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2008, 05:34:56 PM »

Just to be clear.  I'm not making suggestions.  I was asked what I did on my bike.  My engine builder chose what he felt was the best combination of parts for the low end torque we were trying to achieve.  Others have gone with bigger throttle bodies and have had good results, its your bike your choice.  Also, I'll take my CP pistons over anything off the Harley shelf.

Hi Ghostrider,

I just took a lool on the CP website but couldn't see any pistons for a 110? Do you know the part number as I am trying to get a quote for them from their European distibutor. They are German and can't seem to do anything without the number! Any help would be appreciated.

Regards - Magellan  :coolblue:

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2008, 08:55:35 PM »

the problem with harley throttle bodies is the manifold...the '08 stock 50mm, the SE 50mm and the 58 mm all flow poorly...Hpinc or even zippers blows them away
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2008, 01:36:35 PM »

Hi Ghostrider,

I just took a lool on the CP website but couldn't see any pistons for a 110? Do you know the part number as I am trying to get a quote for them from their European distibutor. They are German and can't seem to do anything without the number! Any help would be appreciated.

I will see if I can find out.  I've got all of my paperwork at home.

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2008, 04:09:21 PM »

I will see if I can find out.  I've got all of my paperwork at home.

I appreciate the help - thank you very much.

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2008, 04:21:48 PM »

Kiwi Keith,

Have you made any decisions yet on what to do with your bike?  :coolblue:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2008, 04:29:26 PM »

Try this guys:

http://www.axtellsales.com/

sku 800-825 Go to Twin Cam, then TC Street Pistons, then 4" stroker pistons.

4.000 STREET STROKER SERIES PISTON
SKU: 800-825
Price:  $393.50 KIT
Axtell's reverse dome piston. We developed this piston for 4 3/8" strokes and to retain stock engine height. We also designed a 10cc reverse dome for the engine builder who wants a more manageable compression ratio (9.7:1). This piston works well in any stroke combination where frame clearance is a concern.

I'd use their barrels too!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2008, 04:58:51 PM »

Try this guys:

http://www.axtellsales.com/

sku 800-825 Go to Twin Cam, then TC Street Pistons, then 4" stroker pistons.

Wow! Just had a quick look at that site - shocked at just how many pistons there are to choose from. That is really scarry for a mechanical numbnut like me. I just wouldn't know where to start!  :coolblue:

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »

Kiwi Keith,

Have you made any decisions yet on what to do with your bike?  :coolblue:
Hi Coolblue, Working through the options now although the build that Ghost Rider did got him what I am after. More torque low and midrange. I am thinking 2-1 pipe though instead of true duals. Looking into the RB Racings Black Hole Pipe. Anyone know anything first hand about these pipes?
Will post what I do to the engine along with the results good or bad as it may help someone else out who is reading these posts. Be a few more weeks probably before any work will begin as we are still going through options and possibilities then we will have to order in the parts prior to taking the engine down.

Later, Kiwi 8)
Kiwi 8)

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2008, 05:19:14 PM »

Welcome aboard kiwielf! Glad to have a fellow B/I SERK3 owner from the other side of the world! :huepfenjump3:

The SE 251 has works out to be a very good match with the 110. It will work with stock US spec stock springs.  I would use a 2:1 exhaust like D&D FatCat with quiet muffler, 50mm throttle body, S&S adjustable pushrods, and new lifters. SE camplate if you have some extra $.

The US cam is the CVO 255. The 253 is the CVO 103 cam.

The 258 will also need higher compression and headwork to perform well. This is a more heavily modifed top end than the 251 job above.

Good luck with your mods! I'd love to come join you over there with my bike sometime! Enjoy this great site man! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
Hoist can you tell me what the advantage is of new lifters and also what the SE camplate will do. This may sound silly BUT wouldn't a Screaming Eagla Engine already contain the Screaming Eagle Cam Plate? :nixweiss:
Cheers, Kiwi 8)
Kiwi 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2008, 05:29:27 PM »

I wouldn't go with higher compression like Travis did, unless you're doing the headwork and cams to match. You guys should be talking to an engine designer of your choice, not going by what a buncha bozos on the internet have to say! ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist can you tell me what the advantage is of new lifters and also what the SE camplate will do. This may sound silly BUT wouldn't a Screaming Eagla Engine already contain the Screaming Eagle Cam Plate? :nixweiss:
Cheers, Kiwi 8)

The lifters move the pushrods, which move the rocker arms to open and close the valves in the heads. IMO, these parts wear into each other, and I'd only replace all components, not just one of the 3. That's me. You might find others telling you it's OK. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and have them all new, and wear in to each other together.

Our motors come with the standard hydraulic TC camplate, not the SE. The SE or Feuling Billet Camplate is a much stronger than stock, and has much chance (if any at all) of flexing, maintaining the proper position of all components where they belong. Much more important if going gear drive. The current hydraulic chain tensioner system is more reliable than the older chain drive, and some leave it alone rather than converting to gear drive. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GO GEAR DRIVE WITHOUT CHECKING CRANK RUNOUT FIRST. YOU MUST HAVE EXCELLENT RUNOUT TO GO GEAR DRIVE OR YOU RISK TAKING YOUR ENTIRE ENGINE OUT IF YOU MASH THE GEARS DUE TO POOR RUNOUT!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2008, 05:48:32 PM »

I wouldn't go with higher compression like Travis did, unless you're doing the headwork and cams to match. You guys should be talking to an engine designer of your choice, not going by what a buncha bozos on the internet have to say! ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Our motors come with the standard hydraulic TC camplate, not the SE. The SE or Feuling Billet Camplate is a much stronger than stock, and has much chance (if any at all) of flexing, maintaining the proper position of all components where they belong. Much more important if going gear drive.
Hoist! 8)

So Hoist if I am doing the cams, pistons, AC and TB is that the 'headwork' you refer to, or is there more?
I agree about talking to an engineer, but I want to have some idea about what we should be talking about before I start the converstaion.

Also as I do not intend going near the gear drive are you saying that the SE Camplate is still a good idea? I appreciate that this may just be your opinion, but I am still interested to hear it. As I have (probably) said many times (although I am learning) I just don't know anything about this mechanical chit! I spend most of my days in partial-differential equations ... and chewing lots of pencils!

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2008, 05:55:40 PM »

Hi Coolblue, Working through the options now although the build that Ghost Rider did got him what I am after. More torque low and midrange. I am thinking 2-1 pipe though instead of true duals. Looking into the RB Racings Black Hole Pipe. Anyone know anything first hand about these pipes?
Will post what I do to the engine along with the results good or bad as it may help someone else out who is reading these posts. Be a few more weeks probably before any work will begin as we are still going through options and possibilities then we will have to order in the parts prior to taking the engine down.

Later, Kiwi 8)

Hi Keith,

I quite liked the sound of GhostRiders set-up too. Although I like the look of those 'pointy forward' AC things like the SE one, or the S&S version (just 'cos its blue to match the bike!). I gather from some of these threads that 2-1 exhaust will definitely give you more, but for me that is too much of a trade-off on the appearance, so I will have to go either True Duals (which look so clean) or stick with the cross-over.

Do your bikes have the active exhaust flappers? And if so what are you going to do about them?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2008, 05:59:30 PM »

So Hoist if I am doing the cams, pistons, AC and TB is that the 'headwork' you refer to, or is there more?
I agree about talking to an engineer, but I want to have some idea about what we should be talking about before I start the converstaion.

Also as I do not intend going near the gear drive are you saying that the SE Camplate is still a good idea? I appreciate that this may just be your opinion, but I am still interested to hear it. As I have (probably) said many times (although I am learning) I just don't know anything about this mechanical chit! I spend most of my days in partial-differential equations ... and chewing lots of pencils!

If you can afford to do the camplate, I'd do it. It's a much stronger camplate. But you're not doing anything wrong staying with the stock if your build is a mild one.

Headwork means just that. They do custom work on your heads. They customize the heads to work with the rest of the package they design for you. This could include custom porting, combustion chamber rework, port or valve size changes, decking (shaving them for higher CR), and whatever the designer sees fit to meet the design. A good designer will interview you to determine the type of bike, type of rider, weights involved, and desire results of the build. He will then recommend a complete package to accomplish that goal. You can't just go bolting components on the bike and expect it to work OK, unless you're REALLY lucky! These components must all be properly matched to work harmoniously together to yield the desired result. Anything less than that is just pissing in the wind! ;)

Hi Keith,

I quite liked the sound of GhostRiders set-up too. Although I like the look of those 'pointy forward' AC things like the SE one, or the S&S version (just 'cos its blue to match the bike!). I gather from some of these threads that 2-1 exhaust will definitely give you more, but for me that is too much of a trade-off on the appearance, so I will have to go either True Duals (which look so clean) or stick with the cross-over.

Do your bikes have the active exhaust flappers? And if so what are you going to do about them?

I would also try to use the 2:1 exhaust. The D&D FatCat is about the best there is, and matches very nicely to a 110. You can pick a muffler for it to match your build too! JMO!

Hoist! 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2008, 06:05:31 PM »

Later, Kiwi 8)
I believe there is at least one thread on the forum pertaining to that pipe that you can search for. Don't remember the specifics though.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »

Hi Keith,

Yes we have the flapper valve thing just before the muffler. It will be heading off to flapper heaven when I change out the pipes. I will also be running a closed loop system.  Any of you other guys got anything to say about the closed loop system?
Kiwi 8)
Kiwi 8)

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2008, 08:20:43 PM »

If you can afford to do the camplate, I'd do it. It's a much stronger camplate. But you're not doing anything wrong staying with the stock if your build is a mild one.

Headwork means just that. They do custom work on your heads. They customize the heads to work with the rest of the package they design for you. This could include custom porting, combustion chamber rework, port or valve size changes, decking (shaving them for higher CR), and whatever the designer sees fit to meet the design. A good designer will interview you to determine the type of bike, type of rider, weights involved, and desire results of the build. He will then recommend a complete package to accomplish that goal. You can't just go bolting components on the bike and expect it to work OK, unless you're REALLY lucky! These components must all be properly matched to work harmoniously together to yield the desired result. Anything less than that is just pissing in the wind! ;)

Thanks for the lesson Hoist I am learning - slowly!

I guess the real problem I am going to face here is (a) trying to find a good designer, and (b) one who also knows Harleys. I think I will have more problems trying to get the right answers to those points, than anything else! I am hoping that one of the UK members will jump in on one of these threads so that I can sound them out for (designer) suggestions. So in the meantime I really appreciate your help - Regards Magellan  :coolblue:

I would also try to use the 2:1 exhaust. The D&D FatCat is about the best there is, and matches very nicely to a 110. You can pick a muffler for it to match your build too! JMO!

Hoist! 8)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2008, 08:31:37 PM »

I'd like to point out that I recommended Ghost Rider's build because of the cost he quoted me ( very reasonable) and because the bike ran very strong but still had good manners at moderate speeds and idled down very nicely. An all round sweet running motor with giddy-up does it for me every time. I had the chance to ride Howies SERK but had to pass due to social obligations of the moment, but have no doubt that it's a serious stump puller. The thing is and with all due respect to Howie, I believe he's got better than twice the amount of $$$ tied up in his that Ghost Rider does. As to discusions of increased compression. Bumping compression does not harm your motor so long as you keep it below 11/1. Beyond that you get into a bunch of reliability issues. IMHO

B B

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2008, 08:48:30 PM »

I'd like to point out that I recommended Ghost Rider's build because of the cost he quoted me ( very reasonable) and because the bike ran very strong but still had good manners at moderate speeds and idled down very nicely. An all round sweet running motor with giddy-up does it for me every time. I had the chance to ride Howies SERK but had to pass due to social obligations of the moment, but have no doubt that it's a serious stump puller. The thing is and with all due respect to Howie, I believe he's got better than twice the amount of $$$ tied up in his that Ghost Rider does. As to discusions of increased compression. Bumping compression does not harm your motor so long as you keep it below 11/1. Beyond that you get into a bunch of reliability issues. IMHO

B B

Thanks for that Spiderman. Cost is a critical issue for me, but I still want to do it right. I liked the sound of Ghost Riders build mainly because he got out of it what I am looking for. The majority of my riding is two-up. So a bike that has good torque at the lower end and good manners at moderate speed is what I want. The only differences are likely to be the AC and perhaps different True Duals, other than that it would form the basis of the work I would like done.  :coolblue:

kiwi

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2008, 02:31:54 AM »

B B
I passed on what I wanted to the HD Dealers engine builder.  He spoke to the Harley Davidson head tech type dude today and this is the feedback I got back from him after that discussion.
Keith I spoke to the Head Tech from Harley today. He said 253 cams will work fine. And he also said the 10.5 comp pistons will work fine but there is a possibility they maybe getting up there in compression and may cause detonation, not good at all especially on the bottom end.

He said take 40 thou off the heads and that will get your compression up to about 9.8. He also said the 251 will work great but the valve pockets would have to be checked and more than likely machined.

NOTE: CAUTION AND THIS IS WHERE IT GETS STICKY, IF YOU DO THESE MODS IT WILL VOID YOUR DRIVE TRAIN WARRANTY.

Does the company man speak with forked tongue my brothers?? :
Kiwi 8)

Kiwi 8)

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2008, 03:18:26 AM »

Hi Smiler, I did have a fuel pack fitted but not the V&H. It was the Ness Big Shot 07 version. This was the dealers suggestion at the time!?

Was this at the foundrey?

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2008, 04:29:45 AM »

Was this at the foundrey?

Yes it was - why do you ask?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2008, 06:59:14 AM »

I passed on what I wanted to the HD Dealers engine builder.  He spoke to the Harley Davidson head tech type dude today and this is the feedback I got back from him after that discussion.
Keith I spoke to the Head Tech from Harley today. He said 253 cams will work fine. And he also said the 10.5 comp pistons will work fine but there is a possibility they maybe getting up there in compression and may cause detonation, not good at all especially on the bottom end.

He said take 40 thou off the heads and that will get your compression up to about 9.8. He also said the 251 will work great but the valve pockets would have to be checked and more than likely machined.

NOTE: CAUTION AND THIS IS WHERE IT GETS STICKY, IF YOU DO THESE MODS IT WILL VOID YOUR DRIVE TRAIN WARRANTY.

Kiwi 8)

He's full of crap!!! Sorry you don't have a choice of quality builders there. But that tech is full of crap!!! :o ::)

Hoist! 8)

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2008, 10:38:08 AM »

Kiwi 8)

I don't agree with his comments in blue.  The last comment in red is not surprising.  I was told the same thing.  I decided to pull a Howie and say FTW.

I would add, that my builder recommended doing a 2to1 exhaust, but I passed based on looks.  If I had it to do all over again, I would go with the 2to1 exhaust.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2008, 04:05:43 PM »

Hi Ghost Rider,

I had the V&H TD fitted to my red SERK - they help your engine run a little cooler.  I kept the stock mufflers and went for the Fuel Pak, the only thing Robinsons would fit at the time but I hear there doing the SERT now if your interested.

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2008, 03:17:56 AM »

Hi Jerry, BB and Travis,

Well the motor has now been stripped.  Crank run out is: Left side - 0.004"
                                                                                   Right side -0.001"

Apparently Harley have stated that this is not an issue as it would not have any implications on the crank sensor.
What they have advised is for the dealer to completely strip the motor and clean all oilways to ensure that none
have been blocked.  This would cause pressure build up in the engine and lead to sensor failure.

So, I just have to wait. Anyone know if the measurements are within tolerance? I recall reading that one of the tolerances was 0.0013" but cannot find the message again.

Cheers........

Colin

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2008, 12:15:53 PM »

Yes it was - why do you ask?

The reason I ask was I was told they wouldn't recommend anything else at the time.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 22 queries.