Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: 110 recommendations. Opinions please folks  (Read 9652 times)

kiwi

• Full CVO Member
  • Every day above ground is a good day.

• CVO1: SERK3
    • CVO2: Ultra Limited
Re: 110 recommendations. Opinions please folks
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »

Hi Keith,

I quite liked the sound of GhostRiders set-up too. Although I like the look of those 'pointy forward' AC things like the SE one, or the S&S version (just 'cos its blue to match the bike!). I gather from some of these threads that 2-1 exhaust will definitely give you more, but for me that is too much of a trade-off on the appearance, so I will have to go either True Duals (which look so clean) or stick with the cross-over.

Do your bikes have the active exhaust flappers? And if so what are you going to do about them?

Regards - Magellan  :coolblue:
Yes we have the flapper valve thing just before the muffler. It will be heading off to flapper heaven when I change out the pipes. I will also be running a closed loop system.  Any of you other guys got anything to say about the closed loop system?
Kiwi 8)
Kiwi 8)

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

• CVO1: '07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2008, 08:20:43 PM »

If you can afford to do the camplate, I'd do it. It's a much stronger camplate. But you're not doing anything wrong staying with the stock if your build is a mild one.

Headwork means just that. They do custom work on your heads. They customize the heads to work with the rest of the package they design for you. This could include custom porting, combustion chamber rework, port or valve size changes, decking (shaving them for higher CR), and whatever the designer sees fit to meet the design. A good designer will interview you to determine the type of bike, type of rider, weights involved, and desire results of the build. He will then recommend a complete package to accomplish that goal. You can't just go bolting components on the bike and expect it to work OK, unless you're REALLY lucky! These components must all be properly matched to work harmoniously together to yield the desired result. Anything less than that is just pissing in the wind! ;)

Thanks for the lesson Hoist I am learning - slowly!

I guess the real problem I am going to face here is (a) trying to find a good designer, and (b) one who also knows Harleys. I think I will have more problems trying to get the right answers to those points, than anything else! I am hoping that one of the UK members will jump in on one of these threads so that I can sound them out for (designer) suggestions. So in the meantime I really appreciate your help - Regards Magellan  :coolblue:

I would also try to use the 2:1 exhaust. The D&D FatCat is about the best there is, and matches very nicely to a 110. You can pick a muffler for it to match your build too! JMO!

Hoist! 8)

"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde :coolblue:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2008, 08:31:37 PM »

I'd like to point out that I recommended Ghost Rider's build because of the cost he quoted me ( very reasonable) and because the bike ran very strong but still had good manners at moderate speeds and idled down very nicely. An all round sweet running motor with giddy-up does it for me every time. I had the chance to ride Howies SERK but had to pass due to social obligations of the moment, but have no doubt that it's a serious stump puller. The thing is and with all due respect to Howie, I believe he's got better than twice the amount of $$$ tied up in his that Ghost Rider does. As to discusions of increased compression. Bumping compression does not harm your motor so long as you keep it below 11/1. Beyond that you get into a bunch of reliability issues. IMHO

B B

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2008, 08:48:30 PM »

I'd like to point out that I recommended Ghost Rider's build because of the cost he quoted me ( very reasonable) and because the bike ran very strong but still had good manners at moderate speeds and idled down very nicely. An all round sweet running motor with giddy-up does it for me every time. I had the chance to ride Howies SERK but had to pass due to social obligations of the moment, but have no doubt that it's a serious stump puller. The thing is and with all due respect to Howie, I believe he's got better than twice the amount of $$$ tied up in his that Ghost Rider does. As to discusions of increased compression. Bumping compression does not harm your motor so long as you keep it below 11/1. Beyond that you get into a bunch of reliability issues. IMHO

B B

Thanks for that Spiderman. Cost is a critical issue for me, but I still want to do it right. I liked the sound of Ghost Riders build mainly because he got out of it what I am looking for. The majority of my riding is two-up. So a bike that has good torque at the lower end and good manners at moderate speed is what I want. The only differences are likely to be the AC and perhaps different True Duals, other than that it would form the basis of the work I would like done.  :coolblue:

kiwi

• Full CVO Member
  • Every day above ground is a good day.

• CVO1: SERK3
    • CVO2: Ultra Limited
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2008, 02:31:54 AM »

B B
I passed on what I wanted to the HD Dealers engine builder.  He spoke to the Harley Davidson head tech type dude today and this is the feedback I got back from him after that discussion.
Keith I spoke to the Head Tech from Harley today. He said 253 cams will work fine. And he also said the 10.5 comp pistons will work fine but there is a possibility they maybe getting up there in compression and may cause detonation, not good at all especially on the bottom end.

He said take 40 thou off the heads and that will get your compression up to about 9.8. He also said the 251 will work great but the valve pockets would have to be checked and more than likely machined.

NOTE: CAUTION AND THIS IS WHERE IT GETS STICKY, IF YOU DO THESE MODS IT WILL VOID YOUR DRIVE TRAIN WARRANTY.

Does the company man speak with forked tongue my brothers?? :
Kiwi 8)

Kiwi 8)

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2008, 03:18:26 AM »

Hi Smiler, I did have a fuel pack fitted but not the V&H. It was the Ness Big Shot 07 version. This was the dealers suggestion at the time!?

Was this at the foundrey?

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2008, 04:29:45 AM »

Was this at the foundrey?

Yes it was - why do you ask?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2008, 06:59:14 AM »

I passed on what I wanted to the HD Dealers engine builder.  He spoke to the Harley Davidson head tech type dude today and this is the feedback I got back from him after that discussion.
Keith I spoke to the Head Tech from Harley today. He said 253 cams will work fine. And he also said the 10.5 comp pistons will work fine but there is a possibility they maybe getting up there in compression and may cause detonation, not good at all especially on the bottom end.

He said take 40 thou off the heads and that will get your compression up to about 9.8. He also said the 251 will work great but the valve pockets would have to be checked and more than likely machined.

NOTE: CAUTION AND THIS IS WHERE IT GETS STICKY, IF YOU DO THESE MODS IT WILL VOID YOUR DRIVE TRAIN WARRANTY.

Kiwi 8)

He's full of crap!!! Sorry you don't have a choice of quality builders there. But that tech is full of crap!!! :o ::)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2008, 10:38:08 AM »

Kiwi 8)

I don't agree with his comments in blue.  The last comment in red is not surprising.  I was told the same thing.  I decided to pull a Howie and say FTW.

I would add, that my builder recommended doing a 2to1 exhaust, but I passed based on looks.  If I had it to do all over again, I would go with the 2to1 exhaust.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2008, 04:05:43 PM »

Hi Ghost Rider,

Many thanks for that it is really appreciated and gives me a good place to start from. And in my case I need all the help I can get!!

To say that I am not technically competent is actually exaggerating my capabilities! So if it is OK with you, and I need further assistance can I also send you the odd PM? One thing you may be able to assist with now is with regard to the True Duals as I don't know if this is just a UK issue or not. My bike has a sensor along the right-side of the exhaust pipe a few inches before where the slip-ons would attach. What happens to this sensor when you fit TD's?

I had the V&H TD fitted to my red SERK - they help your engine run a little cooler.  I kept the stock mufflers and went for the Fuel Pak, the only thing Robinsons would fit at the time but I hear there doing the SERT now if your interested.

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2008, 03:17:56 AM »

Hi Jerry, BB and Travis,

Well the motor has now been stripped.  Crank run out is: Left side - 0.004"
                                                                                   Right side -0.001"

Apparently Harley have stated that this is not an issue as it would not have any implications on the crank sensor.
What they have advised is for the dealer to completely strip the motor and clean all oilways to ensure that none
have been blocked.  This would cause pressure build up in the engine and lead to sensor failure.

So, I just have to wait. Anyone know if the measurements are within tolerance? I recall reading that one of the tolerances was 0.0013" but cannot find the message again.

Cheers........

Colin

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2008, 12:15:53 PM »

Yes it was - why do you ask?

The reason I ask was I was told they wouldn't recommend anything else at the time.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 21 queries.