Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ION Trailers?????  (Read 2049 times)

ScreaminEagle3

ION Trailers?????
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:37:18 PM »

I have an opertunity to buy a new ION triler at about half price.......seems to be quality built and with pretty much every option offered.....I can tell most of the people on here use Bushtec and they seem to be awsome , but for a fraction of the cost I am considering the ION for a starter trailer.    Thanks in advance for you input.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: ION Trailers?????
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:45:31 PM »

:worthless:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:08:36 PM »

looks like ion trailers are bigger than the bike

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 11:20:57 PM »

How heavy is the trailer and much of the load's gross weight is given over to the trailer itself?

ScreaminEagle3

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 04:17:10 AM »

The trailer weight is 190lbs,,,,,Max load raiting is 810lbs,,,,,,hitch weight dry is 24lbs. I will attach link.   http://www.goodguyspowersports.com/prodimages/jason/ion.pdf

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »

The trailer weight is 190lbs,,,,,Max load raiting is 810lbs,,,,,,hitch weight dry is 24lbs. I will attach link.   http://www.goodguyspowersports.com/prodimages/jason/ion.pdf

810 pounds?  Must be for pulling behind a car.  Not likely they're going to spec nearly the bike's own weight to pull behind it.  Tongue weight sounds like it could get a bit heavy too.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »

Well, right off the top, I see a couple of things that you might want to consider before you take the plung:

The hitch isn't a heim joint so you'll have the traditional slop on the start and stop and added stress to the bike from that.  If you haven't towed both behind a bike, you should before you go with the traditional 1 7/8" ball.

The axel and suspension aren't even in the same league as a Bushtec so that's not even a fair comparison.  Again, you want to try both before you settle on this kind of suspension.

While this trailer might be great to pull behind a small car or even a 4 cyl. Tacoma or a Ford Ranger, it's far from being ideal to pull behind a bike.  There's a reason that everybody (Honda, Harley, Kawasaki, etc.) all prefer Bushtec over any other make when pulling with a motorcycle and if you ever pulled a Bushtec it wouldn't even be a question for you.  Don't settle....reach for what will really make you happy.

By the way, I've posted on this forum in a several places over the past four years or so........the biggest mistake I have ever made in motorcycling was selling my Bushtec.  Just a few weeks ago I bought a 97 Turbo+2 in good condition with hitch, harness and all for $1700 (or was that $1800?).  So the deals are out there and it took me awhile but you can find them.  Just stay dilligent about doing the Bushtec searches and let others on here know that you're looking......you'll find one. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ScreaminEagle3

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 03:06:28 PM »

Thanks,,,,,,,,Makes good sense

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »

A Bushtec loaded does not weigh that much....

how do you stop a 810 lb trailer? At times the bike itself is hard to stop, without the 810 lb pendulum...
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.