Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 10,000 mile check up  (Read 1392 times)

05yellowse

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
10,000 mile check up
« on: July 12, 2005, 07:14:02 PM »

With the SE what is really done at the 10,000 check up. Do you have to have the dealer to do this to maintain your warranty? I was told by one dealer that there is a lot checked on the front end and the opposite by another. One said it is $415 and another said $250. Just wondering if anybody really has an idea of what is really done and/or is necessary. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
Re: 10,000 mile check up
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 07:54:12 PM »

It's all in the rear of your manual...it's nothing that a qualified and, for warranty issues, certified, mechanic can't do.  But, yes, it is more than an oil change...There's quite a list in the manual.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 08:02:53 PM »

With the SE what is really done at the 10,000 check up. Do you have to have the dealer to do this to maintain your warranty? I was told by one dealer that there is a lot checked on the front end and the opposite by another. One said it is $415 and another said $250. Just wondering if anybody really has an idea of what is really done and/or is necessary. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Huge price discrepency......you should ask each of those dealerships for a list of what they do......and see which one coughs.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 08:07:29 PM »

http://www.kutterharley.com/service.asp
Check out Kutter in Janesville...southwest of Milwaukee.  This place really knows their stuff.  They are consistently ranked very high in the "national" customer service survey (many years #1 or #2).  I used to drive 45 minutes one way and get a ride back so that I didn't have to go to my local dealer, which was 10 minutes away.  They are that good.  They post their service costs right on the website.  As you can see, our bikes would be $340.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 08:08:18 PM by Doc »

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 08:09:01 PM »

I just had my 10,000 mile about a month ago.  My total came to $434.88, that included a new rear tire.  My work order says $140 for rear tire and $97 for labor.  That leaves less than $200 for the 10,000 mile service.
12" HD 440s, Freedom pipes, Powercommander, detachable king tourpack, Fastaire 8" windshield, custom made Corbin heated seat and Hogtunes!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 08:14:21 PM »

Funny you should mention this I just had my 10K service yesterday. The information below is what came from the MoCo website when I inserted my VIN under service check-up...

AT 10,000 MILES / 16,000 KILOMETERS

SERVICE OPERATION TASK
Change engine oil and filter and clean drain plug. R
Inspect air cleaner, service as required. I
Change primary chaincase lube and clean drain plug. R
Check and adjust rear belt. I
Adjust primary chain. X
Clutch adjustment. XL
Change transmission lube and clean drain plug. R
Inspect brake pad linings and discs for wear. I
Check brake fluid reservoir levels and condition. I
Inspect oil lines and brake system for leaks. I
Lubricate front brake hand lever, throttle control cables and clutch control cables, clutch control hand lever and rear brake pedal bushing (if applicable). IL
Lubricate jiffy stand. L
Steering head bearings. L
Check, adjust operation of enrichener. I
Inspect fuel valve, lines and fittings for leaks. I
Check operation of all electrical equipment & switches. I
Check cruise control disengage switch & components. I
Check battery and clean connections yearly.  
Change spark plugs. R
Check tire pressure and inspect tread. I
Check air suspension, pressure, operation and leakage. I
Check stabilizer links and engine mounts. I
Check tightness of all critical fasteners: hand controls, brake system, axle nuts, front fork components, riser and handle bar fasteners. T
Inspect windshield bushings (if applicable). I
Lubricate hinges, latches - fuel door, tour-pak, saddlebags. L
Check engine idle speed. I
Road test. X

Task Key
I = Inspect, and if neccesary correct, clean, or replace
L = Lubricate w/specified lubricant
R = Replace or change
T = Tighten to proper torque
A = Adjust
X = Perform
D = Dissassemble (Lube and Inspect)

I also had Chrome Inner Primary installed at this time (Primary already paid for).

Total cost was $484.00.

Down side of this was they charged me a total of six hours labor ($57.00/hour) and bike was only in shop for 3 hours. Got charged flat rate hours for job. I was not too happy about getting charged 3 hours for the install of the inner primary when the outer primary was already off for the service (I'm going to express my concerns to Service Manager), since reason I was waiting to have it installed was because I knew the outer primary would be off for service. I don't mine paying, but don't think it's fair to charge all that time if the mechanic is not having to do all the functions that flat rate manual is requiring to do the job.

Now as far as having dealer do it versus myself or having it done elsewhere. I personally don't have the tools, time or ability to do it myself. Having it done by trained mechanic if something goes wrong makes it somebody elses responsibility to have it corrected.

I would think as long as you could document that all services are being done to factory specifications you should be alright on your warranty, but I don't want to have the hassle of proving that if something was to go wrong. Therefore I take it to dealer for major services, and any accesory installs that I can't do myself.

If you subract labor cost ($342) from total cost, you will see that it was only about $142 worth of parts.

I guess the question would be did the mechanic perform all the tasks for the service?

If he didn't and down the road there is a defect because he didn't then they will be held accountable.

Bottom line is I feel comfortable that all services where performed, and have dealt with this dealership many times in the past, and they have treated me good, and taken care of any of my problems or complaints.

I make it a point to talk to the mechanics, and at times go back with my bike as they are working on it to see, and ask questions. Not many shops will allow you to do this, so I feel fortunate that I'm able to have this luxury.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 03:06:33 PM »

Down side of this was they charged me a total of six hours labor [bgcolor=Yellow]($57.00/hour)[/bgcolor] and bike was only in shop for 3 hours. Got charged flat rate hours for job. I was not too happy about getting charged [bgcolor=Yellow]3 hours[/bgcolor] for the install of the inner primary when the [bgcolor=Yellow]outer primary was already off for the service[/bgcolor] (I'm going to express my concerns to Service Manager), since reason I was waiting to have it installed was because I knew the outer primary would be off for service. I don't mine paying, but don't think it's fair to charge all that time if the [bgcolor=Yellow]mechanic is not having to do all the functions that flat rate manual is requiring to do the job[/bgcolor].

If you subtract labor cost [bgcolor=Yellow]($342)[/bgcolor] from total cost, you will see that it was only about [bgcolor=Yellow]$142[/bgcolor] worth of parts.

Yesterday when I posted this I didn't have the work order with me, and I have some corrections to make...

Labor Rate = $57.50/hour
Install of Inner Primary = Two (2) hours labor not three (3)
10 K Service = Four (4) hours of labor
Outer Primary does not come off for 10K Service, only Derby cover, and inspection plate. (This is information/explanation that was given to me when I spoke w/Service Department today)
Since the outer primary wasn't already off, then mechanic did have to do all the functions that were required to do the job. Only savings to me I did not have to pay for fresh fluids in primary.
Total Labor cost - $345.00
Total Parts cost - $130.02

I guess bottom line is I'm happy after speaking with service department, and realizing that outer primary wasn't already off. I don't mind paying if a mechanic is "GOOD" and fast.  I am going to start doing more of my accessory additions and slowly work up to doing my own services. I have all the service manuals except for the electrical one, and would recommend them to anyone that wants to take a wrench to their bike. I'll have to start getting some "specialty" tools that will enable me to do jobs more efficiently and quickly now. I can either pay money for someone else to do the job, or take the money and buy tools, heh, maybe I can get good enough that someone will pay me to work on there bike  [smiley=7.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 21 queries.