Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: I thought this chit only happened with 110s!?!  (Read 4089 times)

omgtkk

Re: I thought this chit only happened with 110s!?!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 04:01:24 PM »

Yep, When I got my FXR2 home I found the same puddle under mine.  ANd it seems like once they go, they really go.  It turned from a slow leak to a jail break in one or two heat cycles of the motor.  I didn't have the time or patience to tackle the repair myself, so I took it to a local independent with an excellent reputation.  He confirmed that they all do this eventually.  Said the government made the manufacturers take all the asbestos out of the paper gaskets in the 90's, so the gaskets just fall apart after a while.  He replaced BOTH front and rear rocker boxes with James Gaskets and told me "they don't leak when I get done with them".  2 1/2 hours labor and a few bucks in parts.  Not too bad.  Been dry since, but I only have a few hundred miles on it.  Make sure you do both cylinders if you are going to go through the trouble.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 09:11:01 PM »

Thanks, omg.  That is quite a spot under there.  I was wondering if the rocker cover gaskets could actuall leave that much oil, but I guess they can.  I had the bike out for a good run over the weekend, rode it to work twice this week, and all was fine until yesterday's geyser, so yeah, it seems once they go, they go quickly!

I learned about an indy near here from an ol' timer I met during my breakfast run last Sunday, so I may try to head down there tomorrow after a few hours at the office to see what he has to say.  Not sure the H-D dealer here would utilize the James Gaskets. :nixweiss:  I will definitely do both front and rear at the same time.

BADBUD

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Lucy, 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: Lilly, 1962 Triumph Bonneville
    • Screw with me and you screw with the WHOLE trailer park
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 07:51:52 AM »

I had a leak too. But it will be fine. Hoping for 120-120.
BadBud
I hate drunks when I'm sober----------
and sobers when I'm drunk.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2008, 08:12:45 AM »

I had a leak too. But it will be fine. Hoping for 120-120.
BadBud

are you doing gear driven cams?

BADBUD

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Lucy, 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: Lilly, 1962 Triumph Bonneville
    • Screw with me and you screw with the WHOLE trailer park
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 01:15:39 PM »

Yes, S&S 585g. Reworking heads, boring .005 over domed pistons, 10.5 to 1 compression, compression releases, D&D fatcat.VROOM!!!!!!!! Hope to be back in the saddle in a week or so. Compensater nut came loose and screwed up stator. Bearing race on main shaft slipped a 1/4 inch or so, got lucky didn't get into 5th gear. Guess I am going to have to start acting like I am 54.-----------------------NOT

BADBUD
I hate drunks when I'm sober----------
and sobers when I'm drunk.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 01:24:12 PM »

Nice mods bud! :2vrolijk_21:

Brian was talking about Evo Rocker Box leaks here on an FXR3. You guys will get more response to your TC questions if ya move this stuff to the Twin Cam Board. ;)

That was an unthreadjack if ya haven't noticed! ::) ;D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.