Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the Best Way to Charge the Battery  (Read 3863 times)

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
What is the Best Way to Charge the Battery
« on: July 12, 2005, 09:41:56 PM »

Well I have been having problems with my tour pak trunk light.  I took it into the dealership and told them that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I told them that if it doesn't come on I just tap it a few times and it comes on.  I told them about other people having problems with their lights not turning off and it kills the battery.  I told them that has never happen to me, mine just doesn't turn on all the time.  One of the service techs came out and tapped on it when the light flickered he said, it's bad.  They told me that they would replace the light.  I asked them not to replace it with the same Tour Pak Light part number 54302-98A.  I was told that newer LED Tour Pak Light Kit part number 54332-04 is now replacing the old Tour Pak Light.  So the new LED is on order.
 So when I go out to get something out of my Tour Pak this morning no light.  I tapped on the light still nothing.  Turned the key, nothing.  I plugged into the battery tender for six hours and when I turned the key still nothing.  What is the best and safest way to charge my battery quickly so I can ride my bike.  The dealership told me that the battery tender will take 24 to 36 hours.  They told me that I could put a battery charger with a 2 amp charger and just keep checking the battery by touching it to see if it's hot.  I have been doing the touch test ever half an hour for the last two hours and the battery still cool to the touch.  Does anybody have any ideas that has worked for them?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Freedom pipes, PC III, SE Air Cleaner
Tour Pak & Saddlebags LED Brakelight Kits
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: What is the Best Way to Charge the Battery
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 10:32:53 PM »

I think the advise you got from your dealer is sound.  I wouldn't put any more than 2 amps on it based on what I've read about charging motorcycle batteries in the past.  As far as becoming warm to the touch, though, before having a Battery Tender I used a 2 amp charger on a Yuasa battery and never recall it becoming warm.  I wouldn't go more than 12 hours at a time on the 2 amp regardless of weather or not it becomes warm.  After that amount of time, if the bike doesn't start there's either something wrong with the battery or something else is wrong somewhere.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 10:34:48 PM »

Well I have been having problems with my tour pak trunk light.  I took it into the dealership and told them that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I told them that if it doesn't come on I just tap it a few times and it comes on.  I told them about other people having problems with their lights not turning off and it kills the battery.  I told them that has never happen to me, mine just doesn't turn on all the time.  One of the service techs came out and tapped on it when the light flickered he said, it's bad.  They told me that they would replace the light.  I asked them not to replace it with the same Tour Pak Light part number 54302-98A.  I was told that newer LED Tour Pak Light Kit part number 54332-04 is now replacing the old Tour Pak Light.  So the new LED is on order.
  So when I go out to get something out of my Tour Pak this morning no light.  I tapped on the light still nothing.  Turned the key, nothing.  I plugged into the battery tender for six hours and when I turned the key still nothing.  What is the best and safest way to charge my battery quickly so I can ride my bike.  The dealership told me that the battery tender will take 24 to 36 hours.  They told me that I could put a battery charger with a 2 amp charger and just keep checking the battery by touching it to see if it's hot.  I have been doing the touch test ever half an hour for the last two hours and the battery still cool to the touch.  Does anybody have any ideas that has worked for them?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

If it's really dead the battery tender may not bring it back up without waiting a very very long time; if at all.  The smallest of the battery tenders just need something to start from.  They only maintain, they don't charge.  Some of the bigger ones will charge, but slowly.

If it's dead and you want to charge to charge it quickly just pull the battery out of the biek and hook it up to a regular metering battery charger.  I suggested pulling it out of the bike purely for the protection of the "stuff" around the battery.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 10:35:43 PM by twolanerider »

JimsSEEG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 10:43:01 PM »

I used to use a regular battery charger and now use a battery tender exclusively, and don't ever remember a battery getting warm. I've had a battery tender charge a battery enought to start the bike in about 30 minutes.

.Jim
Jim

"Ophelia"

"pull that thing in here - it's not running good enough to scatter sh*& with a hay rake...."   E.K.

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 11:11:38 PM »

I used to use a regular battery charger and now use a battery tender exclusively, and don't ever remember a battery getting warm. I've had a battery tender charge a battery enought to start the bike in about 30 minutes.

.Jim

JimsSEEG & Twolanerider
Thanks for the info.  I think the battery is ok, it appears to be coming back to life.  At least now when I turn on the ignition switch the headlight comes on and I can hear it huming sound.  I just don't know how long to leave it on the 2 amp charger.  Before I switch it back over to the battery tender. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
 I believe that the battery tender is working fine.  Jim you stated that your battery tender charged the battery enough to start the bike in about thirty minutes.  How dead was your battery? [smiley=confused5.gif]  I know that the battery tender is designed to keep the battery charged to safe range and will not over charge the battery.  My dealership told me it would take any where from 24 to 36 hours for a dead battery if you use a battery tender.
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

h82lose

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 08:48:53 AM »

HAD SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 05 SEEG EXCEPT  THE BATTERY  WAS HOT TO THE TOUCH SO I PULLED BATTERY OUT OF BIKE DID LOAD TEST AND REINSTALLED. BIKE STARTED BUT HEADLIGHT BULB,SPEEDO AND TACH WERE SCREWED. TOOK TO HARLEY DEALER AND THEY SAID HAD NEVER SEEN BEFORE. WARRANTY @ H.D. IS CHECKING TO SEE IF THEY ARE GOING TO COVER THERE SCREW UP. I ASKED THEM IF THEY DIDN'T HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THE TOUR PACK LIGHT WHY DID THEY HAVE 2 UPGRADES THIS MODLE YEAR? NO RESPONSE YET. GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS. MAYBE WE SHOULD LOOK INTO HOW MANY OF US HAVE HAD BATTERY AND TOUR PACK LIGHT ISSUES WITH OUR BIKES. [smiley=confused5.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=furious.gif] [smiley=confused.gif] [smiley=beerchug.gif]
'08 orange springer, '05 teal seeg-10/23/04,  '79 flh classic,  '05 jag S type R- british racing GREEN

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 09:29:02 AM »

If the battery is completely discharged - no fuel pump noise, no indicator lights, etc - you may have to hit it with more than the 1.5 amps that a Battery Tender will put out to get the charging cycle going.  Low maintenance batteries in bikes and cars have this in common.  If you have a charger with a built-in ammeter, start out with about 10 amps and watch the meter.  Once it starts indicating that it is taking the 10 amp charge, back off to no more than 3 amps and continue to monitor the meter and the battery temp - do not exceed 110 degrees.  Once the battery is about 75% charged, finish it off with the battery tender.  For a rough indicator of percent charged, check the no-load voltage across the terminals with a good voltmeter.  25% = 12.0 volts, 50% = 12.3 volts, 75% = 12.6 volts, 100% = 12.8 volts.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 01:17:23 AM »

I just wanted to thank all of you to sent me your ideas to get my battery charged!!!  It ended up taking 28 hours.  This morning at 8:00 a.m. I added my 2 amp battery charger to the battery tender which had been on since yesterday at 10:00 a.m.  At 2:00 p.m. today the green light was on, on the battery tender.  I removed to 2 amp battery charger and attempted to start my bike.  My bike started with the first turn of the switch [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif].  It's feels great when your plan comes together.  I had a back up plan for one of the local dealership to come pick up my bike if I didn't get it started by 5:00 o'clock today.  When they called me, I thanked them and told them I didn't need there services because I was out riding my bike. Ride Safe[smiley=helmet.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 01:27:01 AM »

I just wanted to thank all of you to sent me your ideas to get my battery charged!!!  It ended up taking 28 hours.  This morning at 8:00 a.m. I added my 2 amp battery charger to the battery tender which had been on since yesterday at 10:00 a.m.  At 2:00 p.m. today the green light was on, on the battery tender.  I removed to 2 amp battery charger and attempted to start my bike.  My bike started with the first turn of the switch [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif].  It's feels great when your plan comes together.  I had a back up plan for one of the local dealership to come pick up my bike if I didn't get it started by 5:00 o'clock today.  When they called me, I thanked them and told them I didn't need there services because I was out riding my bike. Ride Safe[smiley=helmet.gif]

Good deal Rider.  Always feels good when you spin a wrench or two and the result is a garage full of exhaust gas where there was none before  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 03:01:05 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, 05rider,
 Now that you're all charged up, keep your battery tender connected to your Motorsickle, when you are parked up.  I've been told these gel batteries will last 7+ years, if I keep it hooked up.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 03:08:39 PM »

Do what Hub says.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I've always used one on all my bikes... and I've NEVER had a dead battery... even after LONG winters.  Buy the one with the quick release and it's easy on and off without removing the seat.

I also put a thin (1"-2" thick) small block of wood under the stand for winter.  Don't know if it's true or not but always been told that the kickstand on concrete can discharge the battery.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 09:13:46 PM »

One more vote for the Battery Tender.  I hook mine up any time I won't be riding for more than just a few days.  I followed the same routine with my '99 FXDX, and six years later still had the original battery.

As the good (evil?) Dr. points out, install the little harness on the battery and hooking up becomes a painless process.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 01:05:16 AM »

Battery tenders work very well. As Hubbard said, plug it in when you park the bike. It conditions as well as maintains the battery 6-7 years is not uncommon. And Unplug the tour pak light. They are garbage. If you read some other threads here, one almost caused a fire in the tour pak..it was on when closed and touching some clothing or something. Get the LED version. It has a switch and will turn off if left on after several minutes. LED's don't get hot like regular bulbs.

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 04:10:24 AM »

Slow low amps charge. Batteries do produce explosive gases so make sure where ever you charge the battery that it is well ventilated and dont smoke around it. I did emplode a battery up one time trying to use a automotive type booster charger. I guess it was too high of amperage for a motorcycle battery. No injuries or seroius damage. It sure scared the heck out of me when it blew.  [smiley=confused5.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif]

[smiley=oops.gif]
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.