Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Heated Grip Failures  (Read 11009 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Heated Grip Failures
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2008, 01:50:51 PM »

TwoLaneRider,

Here is a copy of Mikes reply regarding 2008-09 models. They even have a kit for the 1.25 bars.  It sounds like you may have called him about the group buy discounts. Once we get the info posted for the group buy I will buy a set via the group buy. Thanks for sparking this up.

Yes.. I can confirm that we have a kit for the 08-09 touring models. We also have a kit that will work for 1.25" bars and 08 touring combined. The part
number is:
210045CETCHUB 08 touring/1.25" handlebars/Chrome switch
210046BETCHUB 08 touring/1.25" handlebars/Black switch
The retail price for the kit is $159.95.

The part number for the 08 touring kit is:
210045CET 08 tour
210046BET 08 tour
The retail price for the kit is $149.95

I just got off the phone with a person from the CVO group and I will be offering a group buy price. Please check
with the CVO group for the discount. If you want them ASAP.. Call me direct and I will take care of the order.
Thanks,
Mike

I did ask Mike if he'd consider doing another group buy as we'd done with him before.  After a little reflection, however, it's almost certainly a dead idea. 

If I remember correctly we needed 20 sets to meet the group qty limit.  That was from an application cohort that basically included every Harley out there.  This group, however, would be 08-09 bikes that have had their stock heated grips crap out and have also had that happen so much the owners are tired of screwing with the still in warranty Harley replacements.

In other words not likely to hit any group qty minimums.

I'd suggest that if anyone is wanting to go this way they just call Mike and order a set.  Or perhaps check with Kuryakyn to see if they've got a part number for them yet as Kury is a vendor for their prior sets.  If Kuryakyn does have a number for the new set then use that number to order from M&M or Jenni or Jim or some other dealer that discounts Kuryakyn parts.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »

I did ask Mike if he'd consider doing another group buy as we'd done with him before.  After a little reflection, however, it's almost certainly a dead idea. 

If I remember correctly we needed 20 sets to meet the group qty limit.  That was from an application cohort that basically included every Harley out there.  This group, however, would be 08-09 bikes that have had their stock heated grips crap out and have also had that happen so much the owners are tired of screwing with the still in warranty Harley replacements.

In other words not likely to hit any group qty minimums.

I'd suggest that if anyone is wanting to go this way they just call Mike and order a set.  Or perhaps check with Kuryakyn to see if they've got a part number for them yet as Kury is a vendor for their prior sets.  If Kuryakyn does have a number for the new set then use that number to order from M&M or Jenni or Jim or some other dealer that discounts Kuryakyn parts.

You have a point, i doubt enough 08-09 owners would consider while being under Warrantee. After three failed sets, i give up in Harley Heated Grips. Also i will be changing the bars out to Wild Ones 1-1/4 so need to replace anyway. I'll see if i can talk Mike out of a discount and let ya know.

thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2008, 02:45:09 PM »

You have a point, i doubt enough 08-09 owners would consider while being under Warrantee. After three failed sets, i give up in Harley Heated Grips. Also i will be changing the bars out to Wild Ones 1-1/4 so need to replace anyway. I'll see if i can talk Mike out of a discount and let ya know.

thanks

After seeing how many of these have failed over the years, often repetitively, I'd bail after the first set rather than letting a dealer's wrench have multiple attempts to screw something else up.  Throwing away in warranty repairs has to be a hard pill to swallow though.  So it's understandable that multiple attempts are sometimes accepted.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2008, 03:00:05 PM »

I think the demand would be higher than you would think. FLTRSE3 and FLHRSE4 owners would enjoy the new grip heater kits. Do they have any pictures of the new kits? Or maybe a copy of installation instructions?

:pumpkin: :bananarock:
   Brad

I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2008, 03:35:01 PM »

I think the demand would be higher than you would think. FLTRSE3 and FLHRSE4 owners would enjoy the new grip heater kits. Do they have any pictures of the new kits? Or maybe a copy of installation instructions?

:pumpkin: :bananarock:
   Brad

They don't have 08-09 info posted on their web site but i would think the info they have posted would give you an idea of the product. You are not limited to grip choice with their product, thats another plus.. their web site is www.symtec-inc.com

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2008, 09:02:28 PM »

They don't have 08-09 info posted on their web site but i would think the info they have posted would give you an idea of the product. You are not limited to grip choice with their product, thats another plus.. their web site is www.symtec-inc.com

Had a question in PM about how their elements allowed use of any grip.  The Heat Demons heating elements slide inside the handlebar.  You do no doubt lose some efficiency and extend the time it takes to feel the heat in your hands by the grips having to warm through the bars, to the grip and through the grips to your hands.  Having said that I've felt mine help keep my hands warm down to ambient temps of less than 30 degrees.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2008, 10:06:36 AM »

Had a question in PM about how their elements allowed use of any grip.  The Heat Demons heating elements slide inside the handlebar.  You do no doubt lose some efficiency and extend the time it takes to feel the heat in your hands by the grips having to warm through the bars, to the grip and through the grips to your hands.  Having said that I've felt mine help keep my hands warm down to ambient temps of less than 30 degrees.

Better then having no heats on units that are suppose to provide heat. I've seen the heating unit used in the Harley version. The Heat Demons appear to have more heating element coverage then Harley's. I cant figure out how Heat Demons will work on the TBW without using a special grip. I've had the TBW module out and i dont see any space available to insert the Heat Demon's blanket. I sent Mike an email yesterday asking if he would send me a PDF covering instructions on the TBW version. Still waiting for that.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2008, 01:24:19 PM »

Better then having no heats on units that are suppose to provide heat. I've seen the heating unit used in the Harley version. The Heat Demons appear to have more heating element coverage then Harley's. I cant figure out how Heat Demons will work on the TBW without using a special grip. I've had the TBW module out and i dont see any space available to insert the Heat Demon's blanket. I sent Mike an email yesterday asking if he would send me a PDF covering instructions on the TBW version. Still waiting for that.

I was curious about what they'd changed to do the deed also.  If they send docs of some kind be sure and share.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2008, 07:59:37 PM »

I was curious about what they'd changed to do the deed also.  If they send docs of some kind be sure and share.

I don't think Mike wants to share, he never answered my email  :confused5: I'll try him again

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2008, 08:08:01 PM »

I don't think Mike wants to share, he never answered my email  :confused5: I'll try him again

I do have a recollection that they were great on the phone.  But email wasn't there best thing.  Give him a call.  Better yet since it's a tech question call and ask for tech support rather than Mike (he's the sales guru).

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2008, 01:07:42 AM »

I do have a recollection that they were great on the phone.  But email wasn't there best thing.  Give him a call.  Better yet since it's a tech question call and ask for tech support rather than Mike (he's the sales guru).

Will give that a try tomorrow morning (Thursday)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2008, 03:35:06 PM »

Got a reply back from Roland at Symtec as follows:

We are in the process of updating our instructions such that they include the fly by wire version.   We will email them to you as soon as we have them updated.

As for power draw - they pull 3.5 amps which is controlled on a time proportional control - which is continuous on high except when the max temperature of the heater is reached - otherwise the duty cycle can be as low as 25% or less depending on outdoor ambient conditions.

As for the throttle side, the heater is slightly different as the sleeve which the heater is attached to is longer which puts the terminations to the heater inboard of the electronic throttle.  The electronic throttle fits inside our heater sleeve which is very thin.   We really appreciate Harley leaving the space for our heater - the next design would have been much more labor intensive.

As for grips - stay away from foam grips - all others so far (ISO - Billet etc) work great

Roland Knapton

Diesel Dragon

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2008, 10:06:14 PM »

Has anyone changed their factory grips for new ones or seen the dealer do it on an Ultra ??

How hard is it to swap them ? Do you just remove the grips and unplug the wiring at the handlebar and then plug in your new grips and put them back on or do you have to undo the wiring in the fairing somewhere and take apart all the wiring in the handlebars ??

DD

A threesome is not really cheating, the 2 girls cancel each other out :)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits

08 SE Ultra
03 Fatboy

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »

Just received a call from my service manager that my 08 SE Ultra is ready to pick up after the head replacement.  It was also in for heated grip replacement.  He told me the company gave him a song and dance about you've got to keep both hands on the grips for at least 10 minutes in order for them to work properly, something to do with resistance?  I told him that I had ridden for 4 months and didn't see what an additional 10 minutes would prove.  To the SM's credit he went ahead and replaced the left one anyhow.  Has anyone ever heard such a thing.  Sounds to me as though the company is doing their usual song and dance rather than addressing the real problem.  As a side note the dealership does everything possible to talk buyers out of heated grips and to buy heated gloves instead.  Is there a way to make an issue out of this with the company as has been done with the heads?  I know it's small change in the grand scheme of things, but perhaps it would force them to do something about it.

Regards to all!

Brett
Brett in AK

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2008, 11:17:39 PM »

I've gone through 3 sets under Harley's warranty and gave up on the last. Heat Demons recently came out with a 2008-09 TBW version for stock bars. They are suppose to have a set for 1-1/2 bars any day, which I'm waiting for. I think the service tech is full of BS in regards to the resistance song. Whenever mine worked, they heated up pretty quick. Some of these service techs are real good at BSing the customers. I haven't heard anyone having problems with Heat Demons. If you want to stay with heated grips, you may want to try them out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 22 queries.