Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does Anyone Else Have This Problem??  (Read 3124 times)

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
  • One sweet ride and Red Hot!
Does Anyone Else Have This Problem??
« on: July 14, 2005, 04:50:44 PM »

My exhaust are turning blue really bad, especially the one comming out of the back cylinder. It's turning blue, dark black/blue and copper looking. Plus it's casuing my slip on Screamin Eagle II's to turn a copper looking color right where they slip into the main exhaust. The Front one is turning some too, but no where near as bad as the rear. This all started before the bike had even 1000 miles on it and has only gotten worse. I now have a little over 2200 miles on it. I showed it to my service manger when I took the bike in to have my gas guage fixed. It was sticking on full at times. They also found a hole in the gas line inside the tank. He said that might be what was causing the pipes to turn. Was going to see if HD would cover the slip on's under warranty. We have tried to polish this off but it want budge, nothing seems to help. Today he said they will not cover it, they said it was incidental and would not be covered. I want to know if anyone else is having this problem or am I the only one. This is my 4th Harley and none of the others did this.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Sandy
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 05:01:31 PM by Red_Hot_SE_Fat_Boy »
Sandy :)

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
Re: Does Anyone Else Have This Problem??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 05:52:12 PM »

Sandy it will turn blue nothing you can do about it, but if the motor is running lean it will speed the process up a lot.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]OTIS
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 06:35:18 PM »

Sandy it will turn blue nothing you can do about it, but if the motor is running lean it will speed the process up a lot.

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]OTIS

Thanks for the reply Otis.
I know the back portion of the pipes behind the heat shields will, but mine seem to be worse than those on any bike I have had before. My husband got his bike the same day as I did (a SE E-Glide) his are barely turning. Plus this is causing my new slip on's to turn too. The first 1/2 inch or so of both slip on's right where they go into the main exhaust are turning a copper color. I know that shouldn't be happening. There must be a problem with something.  That's why I was asking if anyone else was having a problem. I know that many here use different non-hd exhaust, was wondering if they might be having any problems. [smiley=nervous.gif]  Sandy

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 03:44:15 AM »

Sandy take it to some one  can remap  the  computer it was lean from the foctory and if you changed pipes that will make it leaner running lean makes it run RED HOT  ha ha good luck.

OTIS [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 06:06:23 AM »

Sandy take it to some one  can remap  the  computer it was lean from the foctory and if you changed pipes that will make it leaner running lean makes it run RED HOT  ha ha good luck.

Thanks a bunch Otis. My dealer was suppose to have done that when they added the pipes. Guess they just didn't get it done right. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  Sandy

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 07:46:45 AM »

Otis,

This is an interesting question and perhaps worth further discussion.  I have heard several possible causes of pipe blueing, including one that says a too RICH condition will cause uncombusted fuel to ignite in the exhaust thus increasing the temperature (and subsequently blueing pipes.)  Typically a rich condition engine will run cooler but is that relative to the temperature that the pipe see?  

I have also heard the lean condition theory as well and was never sure which was correct.  I suppose there are several possible causes and it is dependent upon the particular state of tune of the bike.  

Fire away. [smiley=rifle.gif]

TB
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

lucky1

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 08:51:02 AM »

I have the same indications as well as the non-working gas guage. Idon't know if my Cal. bike has cats in the pipes, if it does I think there is a rich condition to provide fuel for the secondary burn in the converters. My guess.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 10:08:49 AM »

Pipe blueing is basically caused by high temperatures and will happen on all bikes to some extent.  The most common causes of excessive blueing are a lean condition or an air leak in the exhaust system.  Sandy, if the hole in your fuel line was after the pressure regulator, that would cause a leaner than normal condition.  The injector pulse width -time they are open- is set in the ECM assuming normal fuel pressure.  With lower pressure, you would be getting less fuel to the cylinders.  Without an exhaust gas oxygen sensor in the system similar to your car, the ECM has no way of knowing that the mixture is too lean.  I would suggest that you get your bike on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer and make sure the mixture is correct.  Unfortunately I don't know of any easy way to remove the blueing that is already on the pipes.  There are many products out there like Blue Away that claim to polish it out, but I've never had great results with any of them.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 05:33:40 PM »

Otis,

This is an interesting question and perhaps worth further discussion.  I have heard several possible causes of pipe blueing, including one that says a too RICH condition will cause uncombusted fuel to ignite in the exhaust thus increasing the temperature (and subsequently blueing pipes.)  Typically a rich condition engine will run cooler but is that relative to the temperature that the pipe see?  

I have also heard the lean condition theory as well and was never sure which was correct.  I suppose there are several possible causes and it is dependent upon the particular state of tune of the bike.  

Fire away. [smiley=rifle.gif]

TB

That is easy if it pops out the exhaust its rich if it spits through the intake its  lean.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 05:37:25 PM »

That is easy if it pops out the exhaust its rich if it spits through the intake its  lean.

Otis,
Whadya do if she just barfs on your leg?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

(yes, of course I mean the bike, like out the air cleaner, you dirty minded perverts!)

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 11:06:29 PM »

Otis,
Whadya do if she just barfs on your leg?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

(yes, of course I mean the bike, like out the air cleaner, you dirty minded perverts!)

Thats good were even I laughed out loud.

OTIS [smiley=laugh.gif]

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 08:34:47 AM »

Pipe blueing is basically caused by high temperatures and will happen on all bikes to some extent.  The most common causes of excessive blueing are a lean condition or an air leak in the exhaust system.  Sandy, if the hole in your fuel line was after the pressure regulator, that would cause a leaner than normal condition.  The injector pulse width -time they are open- is set in the ECM assuming normal fuel pressure.  With lower pressure, you would be getting less fuel to the cylinders.  Without an exhaust gas oxygen sensor in the system similar to your car, the ECM has no way of knowing that the mixture is too lean.  I would suggest that you get your bike on a dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer and make sure the mixture is correct.  Unfortunately I don't know of any easy way to remove the blueing that is already on the pipes.  There are many products out there like Blue Away that claim to polish it out, but I've never had great results with any of them.

Jerry

Thanks a lot for this imfo Jerry. The reason for my main concerns on this was that the end of my new pipes were turning a copper color. Also as I said my husband picked up his SE bike the very same day. His bike with the same engine has little to no blueing both bikes  have around the same mileage on them. Too my last bike with stage 1, Reinhart exhaust and the power comander, also had very little blueing even at over 15,000 miles. I was concerned that this bike with so little mileage was blueing so bad. Thought that something has to be not right with it.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Sandy

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2005, 03:11:48 PM »

Jerry

Just wanted you guys to know that my dealer is going to warranty my pipes, at least the slip on's that is. Going to add the Race Tuner and then add new pipes. This time I'm going with another set if SE's. These are solid chrome from the cly. heads all the way to the tip end of the pipe. That get's rid of all the udly blueing that shows in my chrome oil tank and the pipes that were turning copper where they sliped into the exhaust. Dealer is giving me the cost of the slip on's towards cost of the new pipes. Bike should be running like a bat out of hell by this weekend.  [smiley=7.gif]  Sandy

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 05:03:23 PM »

Jerry[/quote

A great day indeed!!!!  Took my bike over yesterday for the new exhaust and race tuner. Went over this morning to pick it up. OH MY GOD!!!! Does it sound and run much better now. The loudness between the SE II slip on's and the SE 16 Guage Double Barrel's is about the same. But the Double Barrel has a deeper throater sound. I love them!  Plus this is a complete system from the cyl heads out and they are chrome all the way around, so no ugly pipe blueing showing in the oil tank.  [smiley=1syellow1.gif]   Sandy

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.