Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 59

Author Topic: Financial Meltdown?!  (Read 81286 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Financial Meltdown?!
« Reply #375 on: September 19, 2008, 09:09:34 AM »

I enjoy the north east, during the summer when it is hotter and more humid than Fla without decent air conditioning.......

I miss Lewis' bar in Norwood Ma...one of the all time great places... :-*

Sean M Cary

« Reply #376 on: September 19, 2008, 09:13:08 AM »

46 here, prrrfct 110 weather  :2vrolijk_21:

yeah, but I have a 103" SO ITS TOO FREAKING COLD!!

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #377 on: September 19, 2008, 09:28:51 AM »

Watch out for a big sell off at the open.   :confused5:
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #378 on: September 19, 2008, 09:45:10 AM »

With the fiduciary responsibilities I took on recently with my Mom's affairs and my own investments, I'm into numbers high enough that the recent losses in the market have been painful, very painful. No disrespect intended here, but I'm looking for words of wisdom from folks who are actually losing money as I am and not discussion from somebody with no stake in the game.

B B 

Might be able to give you a thought or two from a different perspective.  They are, like most financial tips, worth exactly what you pay for them.

I look at investments (translated positive cash flow in) from an extremely old fashioned, I guess, vantage point.  Fundamentally, cash is king.  Control is paramount and depending upon the Wall Street crowd is taboo for me.  Guess I just can't get my head around letting some a$$hole buy stocks for me while he (or she) is selling short.  I don't have a 401k, don't want one and hopefully never get senile enough to rely upon a commissioned entity to make investment decisions for me that accommodate their interests first and mine second.

Trading, in my case, is limited to commodities.  For me, it necessarily needs to be a very simple and straightforward concept that allows me to do the research and weigh the decisions independently.  I stick to food products, energy and occasionally precious metals  if I foresee a specific shortage or increased need.  Anticipate the shortages, consider the global (not US market) and play to what people need to survive.  If they're hungry or cold, they'll pay and if not, the US will buy it for them and send it overseas.  I much prefer to profit from the "aid donations" than assuming the role of being an unwitting donor as the government pisses away my money.

Cash, in my opinion is the greatest money maker going, especially in times such as these when no one has any.  If you look back historically the greatest wealth of our lifetimes was created during and shortly after the Great Depression.  The foundation?  Cash, when no one had any and the restricted ability to borrow as is the case right now.  With the meager interest rates being paid today, I'll trust myself to turn the cash around at a much higher rate.  Bargains are everywhere, but you can only take advantage of them with green and the ability to move instantly.  How many folks would jump at cash to off load a prime piece of real estate right now? 

If I were heavily invested in the market right now, I would not consider cashing out.  We may not be at the bottom, but close to it.  I think the program is to recoup as much as possible within the next 4 to 6 weeks as the prices are artificially stimulated prior to the election and cash out, take  control of your assets and use your own good sense to invest where you can control the risk.

Just my thoughts on a horsechit financial market....

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #379 on: September 19, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »

another thing to think about is only invest in what you know.

some hotshot analyst might say that Widget Co. is the next great investment.

but if you dont know anything about Widgets you have to take their word for it.

i tend to invest in companies that are in the same industry as my own. i can look at their press releases and new products and make my own self educated guess as to wether or not i think there is potential there
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Sean M Cary

« Reply #380 on: September 19, 2008, 10:05:01 AM »

another thing to think about is only invest in what you know.

some hotshot analyst might say that Widget Co. is the next great investment.

but if you dont know anything about Widgets you have to take their word for it.

i tend to invest in companies that are in the same industry as my own. i can look at their press releases and new products and make my own self educated guess as to wether or not i think there is potential there

Dogs of the Dow...been getting 20% + since I adopted it.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #381 on: September 19, 2008, 10:05:34 AM »

Watch out for a big sell off at the open.   :confused5:

what's that got to do with it being cold? :nixweiss:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #382 on: September 19, 2008, 10:07:40 AM »

My newly installed, new design heated grips were needed this morning here in NoFl.  It was 75 degrees!
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Sean M Cary

« Reply #383 on: September 19, 2008, 10:08:19 AM »

My newly installed, new design heated grips were needed this morning here in NoFl.  It was 75 degrees!

seems about right...

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #384 on: September 19, 2008, 10:09:42 AM »

seems about right...

I hope they work until the main w----ty runs out, at least.

On frigid mornings like these, warm fingers are important.......

Sean M Cary

« Reply #385 on: September 19, 2008, 10:31:42 AM »

I hope they work until the main w----ty runs out, at least.

On frigid mornings like these, warm fingers are important.......

Below 80 you really gotta watch out for frost bite...

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #386 on: September 19, 2008, 10:34:27 AM »

Below 80 you really gotta watch out for frost bite...

Yeah, it's going to drop into the 60's here before long. 

Riding last night the air was crisp & I only hit 43,753 love bugs.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #387 on: September 19, 2008, 10:37:37 AM »

Yeah, it's going to drop into the 60's here before long. 

Riding last night the air was crisp & I only hit 43,753 love bugs.

so you missed most of them...good on ya.

And to clarify a very bad rumor, they were not an experiment by the UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA (GO GATORS KICK THE CRAP OUT OF THE VOLS) gone awry...

GO GATORS

Arrrrggggghhhhh

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #388 on: September 19, 2008, 10:49:09 AM »

And to clarify a very bad rumor, they were not an experiment by the UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA (GO GATORS KICK THE CRAP OUT OF THE VOLS) gone awry...

GO GATORS

Arrrrggggghhhhh

Funny you said that.  Just talked to a guy at the local HD shop who told me they were brought to F0lorida by U of F to eat mosquitoes.  ;) I have heard all sorts of stuff, but none of it makes any sense.  Only in the gulf states mostly along I-10/Hwy. 90 or so.  Suppose space aliens brought them here to conquer the world along with the fire ants.

Yeah, I missed 90% of them.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #389 on: September 19, 2008, 11:35:31 AM »

GO GATORS

Arrrrggggghhhhh

easy now, the VOLS are at there best when doubted.

i hope Urban Meyer understands. :coolblue:

waiting to hear some rocky top!

over

TN

TN 35 - FL 21
Wut the hell was that maneuver
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 59

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 22 queries.