Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Higher Lift Cam Noise?  (Read 4515 times)

1 HD HEMI

• Love to soar like a SCREAMIN EAGLE!
Re: Higher Lift Cam Noise?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 09:56:45 PM »

Vanimal,
 Just out of curiousity were does the metal that wears off Go to?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]That was one of my determining factors in the gear drive choice. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Better safe than sorry was my thoughts!
1 HD HEMI
B C Gerolomy Heads
Daytona Twin Tec throttle body & WEGO Kit
Flat top cast pistons
Woods TW8G Cams
Roller Rockers
Pro clutch
RC Cycles crankshaft girdle
Bassani true dual power curve exhaust

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 01:25:50 AM »

the part that wears out is the cam chain tensioner shoe. its a plastic shoe that is spring tensioned to keep cam chain tight. there are two of them. the chain wears through the plastic eventually. mileage can vary but  ill be changing mine or switching to gear drive by 30000 miles. as far as the particals that wear off the shoes i assume they make it to the oil filter. youll know it if one wears totaly through-ride safe

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 08:38:03 AM »

Vanimal,
  Just out of curiousity were does the metal that wears off Go to?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]That was one of my determining factors in the gear drive choice. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Better safe than sorry was my thoughts!

As long as they're changed before all the plastic is worn away, there won't be any metal particles.  By the way, the other reason gears are better is that the Harley chain tensioners are not strong enough to maintain proper valve timing.  If you add stronger valve springs for high rpm use, they can override the tensioner springs and cause your valve timing to vary.  I read an article in American Iron where it was claimed that they actually meaured more than a 4 degree variation with the chain setup.  If you're spending bucks for a performance cam, the smart way to go is gears so you'll get all the performance you paid for.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 09:25:01 AM »

TRUE!  the only only bad thing is do you want the extra gear noise. do you spend the money on the delkron cam support plate and feuling oil pump while your at it. then theres  the lifters and adj.pushrods. i do have all the jims spec tools for the cam and bearing removal avail.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 08:52:46 PM »

Seems to be the concensus of the technicians at the dealership that I deal with that they've NEVER seen cam chain tensioners worn enough to need changing between 25 and 30 thousand miles.  They said you need to start checking between 50 and 75 thousand.  So, based on that I'm gonna ride another 30 thou before I worry!  Har!   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 09:25:23 PM »

i personaly havnt met that many smart tech guys at any of the dealers ive been to. i would suggest that if anyone wants to learn more on cam shoe wear problem to go to google and type in twin cam tensioner shoe wear. theres a lot to be learned

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 07:19:21 AM »

TRUE!  the only only bad thing is do you want the extra gear noise. do you spend the money on the delkron cam support plate and feuling oil pump while your at it. then theres  the lifters and adj.pushrods. i do have all the jims spec tools for the cam and bearing removal avail.

Do not use the Delkron support plate. Use the fueling pump and modify the stock plate. The delkron plates had problems. Unless you want to pay the big bucks for it and then pay to have it blueprinted. They had problems with the pressure relief valve. It would stick and you would get little or no oil. The problem has not be address to my knowledge. The Harley support plate will handle anything you can throw at it on the street.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.