Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter  (Read 1363 times)

maxclift

Starter
« on: September 23, 2008, 07:56:21 PM »

I am somewhat new to this board and have never posted but I find that I have a problem with my 08 FLHTCUSE3 and would like any advice that the members could give me. I purchased this bike as a "new" bike with 5800 miles. (The dealer principle rode this bike for several months.) Almost as soon as I purchased the bike the starter went out. The dealer was pretty good about this and loaned me a bike for the two weeks that it was in their shop. They finally installed a new starter and I was back on the road. Now with less than 4000 additional miles the starter appears to out again. Has anyone dealt with this situation. I have not had warranty updates. Would the updated ACR help this situation? Thanks in advance for your help.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Starter
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 07:58:54 PM »

I am somewhat new to this board and have never posted but I find that I have a problem with my 08 FLHTCUSE3 and would like any advice that the members could give me. I purchased this bike as a "new" bike with 5800 miles. (The dealer principle rode this bike for several months.) Almost as soon as I purchased the bike the starter went out. The dealer was pretty good about this and loaned me a bike for the two weeks that it was in their shop. They finally installed a new starter and I was back on the road. Now with less than 4000 additional miles the starter appears to out again. Has anyone dealt with this situation. I have not had warranty updates. Would the updated ACR help this situation? Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you know if the ACR's are functioning?  One or both could be defective - or they could be turned off.

You could let the dealer figure it out, if you trust their skills....   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

maxclift

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:00:52 PM »

At this point I do not know. I guess I will trailer it to the dealer tomorrow and let them deal with this again.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:02:30 AM »

Scott is right on.  Mine grenaded the Clutch Pak and I got new everything in there and all because the ACRs were not working properly.  They should have just gone with the old fashioned way of simple push button ones!
Good luck and good time to do the upgrade/recall.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »

I agree ACR's would be suspect. If they are found to be bad ask if manual ones are an option.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 04:21:24 PM »

I agree ACR's would be suspect. If they are found to be bad ask if manual ones are an option.

The manual ones would require drilling and tapping new holes, as well as plugging the existing holes.  The reason is that the current location of the ACR's isn't conducive to sticking your fingers in there to operate a manual version.

The best approach would be to chitcan the stock cams and install something with a little overlap.  The stock cams create the need for the compression releases.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:13:50 PM »

It could be your compressors aren't functioning

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:52:54 PM »

I wonder if the upgrade has been done - it changes the ACRs with the new heads.  I just had the dealer order my upgrade kit today.  I have 5800 miles on my 08 Ultra SE, and, so far, so good.

T

maxclift

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 09:39:27 PM »

I took the bike in today. A rubber hammer and a little bump on the starter got the bike running and starting. I talked to the dealer about looking at the ACR and I hope that they do. I am afraid that they are going to install new brushes in the starter and call it good. When one can bump a starter with a permenant magnet motor I would say the armature has a bad spot. They tried that the first time I had this problem and I did not get the bike off the the parking lot before it messed up again. Then they ordered out a new starter. That time I had a loaner and wasn't to worried about the time but this weekend is Bikes, Blues and BBQ in Fayetteville, Arkansas and that is the largest bike event in our part of the world. I would really hate to miss the ralley.

Thanks for the input on the ACR, I think we are on the same page. It is very good to have this board, thanks again.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 09:53:22 PM »

I took the bike in today. A rubber hammer and a little bump on the starter got the bike running and starting. I talked to the dealer about looking at the ACR and I hope that they do. I am afraid that they are going to install new brushes in the starter and call it good. When one can bump a starter with a permenant magnet motor I would say the armature has a bad spot. They tried that the first time I had this problem and I did not get the bike off the the parking lot before it messed up again. Then they ordered out a new starter. That time I had a loaner and wasn't to worried about the time but this weekend is Bikes, Blues and BBQ in Fayetteville, Arkansas and that is the largest bike event in our part of the world. I would really hate to miss the ralley.

Thanks for the input on the ACR, I think we are on the same page. It is very good to have this board, thanks again.

The dealer needs to change out the ACR's for the new version no matter what, and  then pull the primary and closely inspect the drive gear and ring gear for damage.  If there is damage, slapping a new starter on  will only help for a short time and then you will be right back where you are now.

Any time someone "fixes" a problem by smacking it with a hammer and then giving the bike back to the owner to ride away, the owner needs to borrow that hammer and smack that idiot up side the head. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

maxclift

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »

I bumped the starter with the rubber hammer to get it started, not the dealer. Sorry I did not make that clear. I just wanted to get it to the dealer without having to load it on the trailer. Just faster with less hassle.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 03:07:17 AM »

I bumped the starter with the rubber hammer to get it started, not the dealer. Sorry I did not make that clear. I just wanted to get it to the dealer without having to load it on the trailer. Just faster with less hassle.

Ahh The old Manchester Spanner - works every time ;)

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 22 queries.