Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wiring driving lights..need help  (Read 4110 times)

1coolrk

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wiring driving lights..need help
« on: July 20, 2005, 01:14:01 AM »

A friend of mine is trying to wire his driving lights so they will work on low or high beam. can someone tell me the best way to do this conversion? Which wires need to be jumped? color of wires? A diagram would be nice.I'VE DONE THIS ON MY RKC but the fatboy seems to be so different inside the headlight.    thank's for any help  Lee [smiley=confused5.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: wiring driving lights..need help
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 02:52:29 AM »

Check out this thread.  Best solution we came up with is discussed there.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1100666666

The solution covered in the thread is safer than the way the harness is wired to begin with.  One thing ot keep in mind with keeping the spotlights on in either a high beam or low beam situation is that for many states that'll be illegal.  It's required in most states that auxiliary running lights  must go out when the high beams come on.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 02:56:21 AM by twolanerider »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 08:53:26 AM »

Check out this thread.  Best solution we came up with is discussed there.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1100666666

The solution covered in the thread is safer than the way the harness is wired to begin with.  One thing ot keep in mind with keeping the spotlights on in either a high beam or low beam situation is that for many states that'll be illegal.  It's required in most states that auxiliary running lights  must go out when the high beams come on.

I believe it may be possible to wire the spot lamps to a separate circuit and still remain legal.  It would require adding a relay to the circuit that would be triggered by the high beam switch (relay off on high, on on low beams.)  I'll have to look at the wiring diagram to see exactly how it would have to be wired in and still work if the headlamp circuit fails - that is the most important feature anyway. Having the spots on with the high beams will never fly in a state with a state safety inspection; you might get away with it elsewhere if you have the lights aligned properly (slightly down and to the right).
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 11:49:25 AM »

I believe it may be possible to wire the spot lamps to a separate circuit and still remain legal.  It would require adding a relay to the circuit that would be triggered by the high beam switch (relay off on high, on on low beams.)  I'll have to look at the wiring diagram to see exactly how it would have to be wired in and still work if the headlamp circuit fails - that is the most important feature anyway. Having the spots on with the high beams will never fly in a state with a state safety inspection; you might get away with it elsewhere if you have the lights aligned properly (slightly down and to the right).

That was part of the question we wandered around before.  Doing it (having the lights on whenever you want them) is easy.  Being able to keep them that way when you have to get a state inspection would be problematic (in most states).

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 12:47:42 PM »

That was part of the question we wandered around before.  Doing it (having the lights on whenever you want them) is easy.  Being able to keep them that way when you have to get a state inspection would be problematic (in most states).

Out of curiosity what is the State inspection? What do they inspect? We don't have them here on motorcycles, just cars and that's for smog check only [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 01:10:42 PM »

Out of curiosity what is the State inspection? What do they inspect? We don't have them here on motorcycles, just cars and that's for smog check only [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Many states have an annual or semi-annual safety inspection program, and it includes all vehicles (even trailers in some states).  They check things like brakes, lights, exhaust leaks, presence of emissions equipment, presence of restrictor in fuel filler neck for unleaded fuel, cracked or broken windshields, etc.  One of the lighting checks is that all lights mounted on the vehicle must work, and fog/driving/aux lights cannot be on with the high beams.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 03:42:41 PM »

There is the occasional weirdness among the state checks too.  Several states, for example, require unobstructed vision through the driver's line of sight.  So, obviously, no busted windshields.  No windshield at all, however, then becomes perfectly ok  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 03:46:39 PM »

For once, I'm glad I live in Michigan.  No pesky inspections here.  

I run my aux. fogs on a seperate switch so they can be turned on with both high and low beams.  Find them particularly useful when aimed at the ditches to illuminate our fury friends.

TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

GoFastGirl

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 11:15:16 PM »

I watched Twolanerider do what I think you guys are talking about her to his bike not too long after he had it.  A movie ended about 11:00 oneevening and he asked if I wanted to hand him tools for a bit and he'd carry the beers.  The whole job only took a little over an hour because we were on the bike at Steak and Shake at 12:45.  So if anyon is thinking about doing this it'snot a hard job.

Geezer 1941

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 11:51:46 AM »

I think this is for a Road King, so I am not exactly sure if it holds true on the FatBoy.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.