Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corbin Hollywood Solo problems  (Read 7285 times)

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
Corbin Hollywood Solo problems
« on: September 26, 2008, 04:56:17 PM »

Hi folks

Got the Hollywood Solo installed on the FXSTSE by the dealer last week - what a dog ...not only a lousy fit but also a major step back in terms of body position (versus the original). I quite like the original seat as it is rather sleekly integrated where the Corbin really looks like a beached whale .....but from previous experience with Corbin seats on pre 06 bikes I thought the looks were good and the quality far better than the stock seats.
The dealer shrugged it off - not willing to take any corrective action (in fact they should have noticed the bad fit while they installed it - for one they misdrilled the pair of holes to be tapped into with the lock-system bracket (poor measurement apparently)..but even if I take the brackets front-and aft off and position it in the best possible way - the base-plate still hovers a solid 1.5 inch above the framework ...
Very disappointed and from what I read in this forum (but still will send this piece of junk back to them trhough the EU distributor) Corbon seems to have quite some challenges as of late in building seats that actually fit well. 540 Euro's down the drain and I wouldn't even sell this junk onwards to anyone ..rather return it to sender and take my losses... :-[

This begs the question ....now what ? I personally don't fancy the le pera seats (for one their website is not updated since I don't know when - I cannot tell which model fits which bike make / years etc...and the glossy leather kinda looks cheap to me ..but perhaps I'm biassed.

Another option (not solo) was to purchase a badlander and have it overhauled by a local saddlemaker with real leather in a somewhat personalized style - this will cost me dearly and i still have to put up with cheap foam and a very thin baseplate ....but at least it fits my bike like it should...

Any other ideas anyone ?

Thanks ahead

Rik

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Corbin Hollywood Solo problems
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 06:25:30 PM »

I also had a really bad experience with the Corbin Classic Solo on my FXSTSSE2. It had a poor fit, it wouldn't lock onto the mount bracket, and it pushed me about 2 inches forward from the original riding position. If I would have kept the bike (I traded it in on a CVO Road Glide), I would have taken the stock seat to a local seat builder and had them upgrade the stock seat with new memory foam and possibly new leather. Either that or take it to a custom seat builder and start from scratch. I really wanted a solo seat so I could show off the paint on the rear fender. The Corbin Classic Solo seat was a big disappointment to say the least. Good luck figuring out a good seat solution.

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 09:58:32 PM »

Same seat. Same story. Same sad result.  Why they designed it to push you so forward is a mystery.

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 03:31:28 AM »

Thanks for confirming folks - I will have a chat with the local seat builder here and see if he can take it from scratch - else turn in the original and have it rebuild with real leather and memory foam ....- thanks for the tip.

One pic attached to proof my earlier point ...don't want to give the impression I'm bitching on a vendor for no apparent reason  :-\

rik

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 08:38:43 PM »

sorry to hear about your bad experience...my wife's 07 fxd has the same seat..she's 5'-4" and needed something thin...it fits the bike great...are you sure it's the correct seat for your springer?
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 04:34:05 AM »

Possibly inconsistent baseplate manufactoring ? I'm not aware of any specific FXSTS Solo (Hollywood or other) from Corbin to be honest - if you check their website it doesn't spec a particular itemnumber so IMO it's the same saddle for all 200 rear-tire based Softtails - If I'm wrong or inaccurate in that assessment fee free to flame me and kick my behind though as I'd be happy to recall my previous harsh comments on Corbin . h case i will kick my dealers $#ss in-lieu as they ordered the seat and took possibly another 10% as usual.

Rgds

Rik

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »

was just guessing with the model specific thing...understand your frustration...wish I had all the money I've wasted on parts that didn't do what they advertised!
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 03:20:45 AM »

Yep  :)
It seems to be an inherrent part of our beloved passtime indeed to spend $'s on disappointing add-ons- that's a good philosofical approach  ;)

Rik

kev

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 03:46:13 PM »

I was just looking through the HD accessory book but could not find a solo seat for the se 08 springer. just thought that if a seat was gonna fit one from HD should.

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 04:15:28 PM »

Yep - the originals do fit very well because they lack the "studs" that keep the seat a "bit" above the framework - which Corbin touts in their catalogue as the best possible way to protect the seat from excessive wear and tear. They might be right on that - only problem is they shoot those studs in from the hip so to speak and the height is not rightly adjusted at all for all Softails like apparently (that could be the reason whay they are way off on a springer and perhaps fitting pretty well on a Heritage) . My dealer isn't going to help me either apparently as he is not willing to react to Corbin on my behalf ..sad world isn't it ?

I could  (and should) take it to the next level and escalate this but I'm not having much spare time and am on the road jobwise too often to even contemplate further concrete steps other than a planned call to Corbin importer here in EU . Could take the Hollywood to a seat maker and have it fitting but that would mean a reconstruction of the baseplate - which I suspect is more expensive than buying a HD original seat ad have it overhauled with memory foam /Gel and real nice leather ...

BTW there is a solo seat from the MoCo as per underneath :

- Diamond Back® Seat for Softail® Models

This Softail® Diamond Back® Seat fits with the same great Diamond Back® seat styling. Fits with current Softail® Diamond Back® Tail Sections and Diamond Back® Pillion P/N 52069-98 (sold separately). Seat width 13.8".

52629-00

Fits all '00-'05 FXST, FXSTB, FXSTS, FLSTC and '00-'06 FLSTF (excpet '06 FLSTFSE2) models.
                                                                                     ^^^^^^^

<typo is TM from MoCo so i don't dear to change it  :mango:
Hasta Luego

Rik

kev

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 04:39:31 PM »

Thanks Rik
I did not realise the  Diamond Back® would fit. I will have to search for some pics of it on a springer to see how it looks

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 04:54:31 PM »

I hope you get it resolved because they ain't cheap

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.