Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '09 ULTRA CLASSIC  (Read 2400 times)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
'09 ULTRA CLASSIC
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:59:57 PM »

I'm looking for feed back. My dealer says by purchasing a Screamin Eagle air cleaner, and remap, my bike will run cooler.
They recommend a 34462-09/DT part, and labor to do the "upgrade". Question: is this necessary with just an air cleaner change, and if anyone has feedback from this "upgrade", I would like to here your input. This bike seems to run pretty hot and Oil temp runs about 220-250 and that's with an oil cooler! Thanks all in advance. Ambient temps here about 90-95, altitude about 500-4000 ft.
HOGMIKE

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: '09 ULTRA CLASSIC
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 06:07:15 PM »

I'm looking for feed back. My dealer says by purchasing a Screamin Eagle air cleaner, and remap, my bike will run cooler.
They recommend a 34462-09/DT part, and labor to do the "upgrade". Question: is this necessary with just an air cleaner change, and if anyone has feedback from this "upgrade", I would like to here your input. This bike seems to run pretty hot and Oil temp runs about 220-250 and that's with an oil cooler! Thanks all in advance. Ambient temps here about 90-95, altitude about 500-4000 ft.

Hogmike,
Your bike comes from the factory with a very lean 14.7:1 Air/Fuel Ratio (AFR).  Putting on a freer breathing air cleaner will only cause the bike to run leaner and hotter.  You need to remap with the SERT to bring the AFR down to at least 14.0:1 but preferably around 13.7:1 for the bike to run cooler.   So to make a long answer short, yes, you'll need to remap the ECM especially with a freer breathing air cleaner.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 06:34:49 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I am thinking the money for the air cleaner ($140) and the remap ($200) is a little steep, considering a SERT OR PC would be about the same $$$ AND allow future upgrades for mufflers, cams, etc.
My 113 runs cooler (and a lot more power) with S&S IST installed.
HOGMIKE
HOGMIKE

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 06:47:10 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I am thinking the money for the air cleaner ($140) and the remap ($200) is a little steep, considering a SERT OR PC would be about the same $$$ AND allow future upgrades for mufflers, cams, etc.
My 113 runs cooler (and a lot more power) with S&S IST installed.
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE,
My understanding is that there aren't anymore "canned" remaps for the ECMs, you either have to leave the ECM stock or use a SERT to reprogram it (or by-pass it will a PCIII or similar device).  I believe HD stopped with the remapping in 2008.   I would challenge your dealer on doing just a remap.  I think you're getting charged $200 for a non-existent part.   My dealer that sold me my 08 Street Glide wanted to include a $200 remap when I had them put the Vance and Hines Pro Pipes and HD Heavy Breather on.  I told them I didn't think there was a download anymore for the 08's and that I was going to have them use the Super SERT to reprogram the ECM.  The sales person went back to talk to the service manager about what I told her and when she came back, told me I was right that there wasn't anymore factory maps.  Just some food for thought for you.

2012 FLHXSE3

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 06:58:21 PM »

HOGMIKE,
My understanding is that there aren't anymore "canned" remaps for the ECMs, you either have to leave the ECM stock or use a SERT to reprogram it (or by-pass it will a PCIII or similar device).  I believe HD stopped with the remapping in 2008.   I would challenge your dealer on doing just a remap.  I think you're getting charged $200 for a non-existent part.   My dealer that sold me my 08 Street Glide wanted to include a $200 remap when I had them put the Vance and Hines Pro Pipes and HD Heavy Breather on.  I told them I didn't think there was a download anymore for the 08's and that I was going to have them use the Super SERT to reprogram the ECM.  The sales person went back to talk to the service manager about what I told her and when she came back, told me I was right that there wasn't anymore factory maps.  Just some food for thought for you.

Got to love it...  :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 07:03:05 PM »

Got to love it...  :2vrolijk_21:

You got that right.  I was expecting her to ask me where I heard that, on the internet?  It's amazing how much the dealer's don't know what's going on.

2012 FLHXSE3

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 08:17:56 PM »

Yep, that's why I ask questions here, instead of at the dealer!!!
Thanks
HOGMIKE

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 11:44:25 PM »

great info, :2vrolijk_21: thanks from me also :2vrolijk_21:
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.