Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Has Anyone Used  (Read 8714 times)

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
  • One sweet ride and Red Hot!
Has Anyone Used
« on: July 21, 2005, 02:42:20 PM »

Anyone useing the www.easybrackets.com  or the www.ghostbrackets.com on their SE Fat Boy? If so what all did you have to change on the fender strut to make them work?  Also what saddlebags did you use? HD's or some other brand? Wanting to know if anyone is using any of these. I'm trying to decide what saddlebags I want to use, but do want to have them quick detachable so I don't have to ride with then on all the time. Also I have the slip on SE II exhaust which means the exhaust is like those that were stock on this bike, so I know I will have to go with a smaller bag. Any suggestions?  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Sandy
Sandy :)

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Re: Has Anyone Used
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 04:44:33 PM »

We've done several Ghost Brackets on Fatboy's in our shop.   I had them on my old Dyna as well.  

They are a pretty slick set-up and will work with most all saddle bags.  There is a metal plate with the Ghost Brackets that you mount to the backside of the bags, so they fit everything out there.  As far as the fender struts, you should be OK.  Be aware, that you will most likely have to relocate the rear turnsignals.  There are several kits out there to move the signals rearward allowing enough room for the bags.  

Taking the bags on and off is a snap and the only visible evidence left is the grooved bolt heads on the fender struts.  I believe the new models even have a lock to keep the bags from walking off.

TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 09:19:17 AM »

We've done several Ghost Brackets on Fatboy's in our shop.   I had them on my old Dyna as well.  

They are a pretty slick set-up and will work with most all saddle bags.  There is a metal plate with the Ghost Brackets that you mount to the backside of the bags, so they fit everything out there.  As far as the fender struts, you should be OK.  Be aware, that you will most likely have to relocate the rear turnsignals.  There are several kits out there to move the signals rearward allowing enough room for the bags.  

Taking the bags on and off is a snap and the only visible evidence left is the grooved bolt heads on the fender struts.  I believe the new models even have a lock to keep the bags from walking off.

Thanks a bunch, that's just the info I was needing. Wanted to make sure those brackets would fit most all bags and that the bolts on the fender struts was about all I would need to change. I beleive with the smaller size bags I shouldn't even have to move the turn signals. At least that's what most web sites seem to indicate. Thanks again. Sandy

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 01:11:06 PM »

That's what we have found too.  Smaller bags will fit above the stock exhaust and in front of the signals.  Good luck
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 05:51:54 PM »

That's what we have found too.  Smaller bags will fit above the stock exhaust and in front of the signals.  Good luck

Thanks so much for you help. Now I'm trying to decide which ones I want to go with. Need to get something before October. We're riding down to Biketoberfest in Daytona, thought it would be nice to have a little storage space instead of counting on my husband for everything.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  Sandy

Dino

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 10:22:26 AM »

Hello

I am also looking for detachable brackets for saddlebags, reading comments on both easybr. and ghostbr. The comments from Ghostbr. seems a little more positve than the Easybr.
While looking a bit more I came over Barebacks, and they look much slimmer and nicer, they do not have the brackets fasten to the saddlebags, but whats worrying me is that they look so tiny.
Will they hold to keep the weight of a full bag? Comments?

http://www.cyclevisions.com/barebacks.html

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 08:47:33 AM »

Will they hold to keep the weight of a full bag? Comments?

http://www.cyclevisions.com/barebacks.html[/quote]

Those do look nice. I haven't heard of them before. Like you I would be interested in knowing just how good they work from anyone who might be using them. I asked my dealer about the Ghost and Easy brackets. They said that they do work good, but put the saddalebags out quite a bit from the bikes fender. Not sure just how far though or if it will look funny from the rear of the bike. Still trying to decide what to go with here for my bike. Will try to check into those barebacks futher. Still a bit confused as to what I should go with.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  Sandy

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 12:50:27 PM »

[smiley=beerchug.gif] just keeping track of this thread I want to see how it turns out..........I also want some bags that come off nice and clean on my SE. [smiley=beerchug.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 02:55:30 PM »

[smiley=beerchug.gif] just keeping track of this thread I want to see how it turns out..........I also want some bags that come off nice and clean on my SE. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

I haven't been on this forum in a while, but came back to see myself if anyone has added any detachable bags yet. I asked my dealer if they had used any of these Ghost Brackets, Easy Brackets or Bare Backs. He said they only had experience with the Bare Backs and that they didn't like the results. He said that the bags moved around quite a bit and everything rattled. Even after tightening things up they still never got ride of the rattle. So now I'm still trying to decide if I want to go with Ghost or Easy Brackets. I'm leaning towards the Ghost Brackets because the Easy Bracket web site says they mount at three points on the Fatboys. The two bolts on the fender struts and then on the bolts that holds the passenger pegs. Our bikes don't have passenger pegs, at least they didn't come with any and I don't plan on adding them. So that only leaves Ghost Bracets for me to use. May do something in the next few weeks, will get back to you guys here and let you know the out come.  [smiley=nervous.gif] Going crazy over this. Sandy

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 04:06:24 PM »

Well it seems that we SEfatboy owners agree that we all love our bikes and they get a 10 for just being awesome bikes, but as far as practicality goes..................maybe this is a better choice for a spare bike??? I added leather swingarm mount tool bags to use as mini saddle bags, to keep my small items like cigarettes etc in.and you can fit  a 12oz soda in it on its side with the cigarettes! But you really can't take anything with you, you can't take anyone with you and your own ass is gonna hurt like a bitch on those long cold rides when you didn't bring a jacket.............I don't know what I am going to do when I sell my Heritage Classic.........hopefully I will come up with some solutions for my fatboy so that I can strip her down to this look that I love or pack her up and bring a friend across country in as few moments and little effort as possible!
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 04:23:48 PM »

Seems that we're all on one or the other continuim's in our scooters.......the 'looks' vs. 'comfort' and the 'performance' vs. 'dependability'............it's always a compromise, isn't it?     aAaAaarrrrggh !   [smiley=furious.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 01:09:17 AM »

I haven't been on this forum in a while, but came back to see myself if anyone has added any detachable bags yet. I asked my dealer if they had used any of these Ghost Brackets, Easy Brackets or Bare Backs. He said they only had experience with the Bare Backs and that they didn't like the results. He said that the bags moved around quite a bit and everything rattled. Even after tightening things up they still never got ride of the rattle. So now I'm still trying to decide if I want to go with Ghost or Easy Brackets. I'm leaning towards the Ghost Brackets because the Easy Bracket web site says they mount at three points on the Fatboys. The two bolts on the fender struts and then on the bolts that holds the passenger pegs. Our bikes don't have passenger pegs, at least they didn't come with any and I don't plan on adding them. So that only leaves Ghost Bracets for me to use. May do something in the next few weeks, will get back to you guys here and let you know the out come.  [smiley=nervous.gif] Going crazy over this. Sandy

Ok and I was just at my local H-D dealer today and was inquiring about the three systems. Their input was that they have only used the barebacks ( H-D dealers must get a hell of a kick back from DS) but they did two SE fatboys with no complaints in results, said they looked great without the bags and the little chrome caps on the buckshot struts and they didn't seem to rattle or be noisy to them. The ghost brackets I have heard complaints about them being spaced too far away from the fender.

Now I just need to find a fairly cheap but decent chromer to chrome the support arm that connects to my frame from the saddlebags, since they all have BLACK  and there is no black aside from the leather on my bike [smiley=behead.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 04:32:34 PM »

Seems that we're all on one or the other continuim's in our scooters.......the 'looks' vs. 'comfort' and the 'performance' vs. 'dependability'............it's always a compromise, isn't it?     aAaAaarrrrggh !   [smiley=furious.gif]   spyder

Aint that right!! Heck I've been riding around on this stock seat since March now, I think I've almost gotten use to it's hardness. We did a 100+ mile ride last weekend and I hardly noticed the seats disconfort.  [smiley=confused.gif] Still trying to decide if I want to add a gel insert or some memory foam. Might wait until I get down to Biketoberfest and do something while there.  [smiley=laugh.gif]  Sandy

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 04:43:21 PM »

Ok and I was just at my local H-D dealer today and was inquiring about the three systems. Their input was that they have only used the barebacks ( H-D dealers must get a hell of a kick back from DS) but they did two SE fatboys with no complaints in results, said they looked great without the bags and the little chrome caps on the buckshot struts and they didn't seem to rattle or be noisy to them. The ghost brackets I have heard complaints about them being spaced too far away from the fender.

Now I just need to find a fairly cheap but decent chromer to chrome the support arm that connects to my frame from the saddlebags, since they all have BLACK  and there is no black aside from the leather on my bike [smiley=behead.gif]

I have heard those complaints also. My rear fender has some black on it, but is mostly Red with the chrome fender struts on either side. I guess black wouldn't be too much of a problem for me, especially since the bags themselves will be black also.

Our dealer has only had that one experience with any of the three detachable's. Who know's it could have just been the empty saddlebags that we causing the rattle or something else entirely. I'm gonna take another look at the Bare Backs product. As I'm a bit unsure the others will fit well on these SE bikes. I looked at a stock FB today at my dealers and there seems to be a bit more room where one of the bolts is located than there is on the SE Bikes. I think our chrome seat surround takes up a little extra space. Either way I'm going to check into this futher before I go off buying anything.  [smiley=blush.gif]  Sandy

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 06:30:04 PM »

Now I just need to find a fairly cheap but decent chromer to chrome the support arm that connects to my frame from the saddlebags, since they all have BLACK  and there is no black aside from the leather on my bike [smiley=behead.gif

Hey Scott. I just checked on the barebacks web site. From everything I can find on their fit for FB's you have to relocate the turn signals. Do you know or can you find out if your dealer had to do this on the SE bikes they fitted with these brackets? I'm not wanting to move my turn signals. Maybe the fitment I need just wasn't listed on the site. Might be a newer style or something. Would appreciate it if you can find out and maybe even get the part number they used. These do look like they would fit our bikes better. Thanks in advance.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Sandy
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.