Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Does FXRG really double as rain gear?  (Read 50145 times)

ThomasK

• Full CVO Member
    • CVO2: 2011 SE Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE
Re: Does FXRG really double as rain gear?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2009, 08:19:02 AM »

When we rode back home to Frankfurt/Germany from Siena/Italy last year,we have had a 13 our nonstop heavy raintrip.
I was wearing the FXRG leather dress, including shoes and gloves. Not even one drop came through!!
For the warmer summer season I have a Nylon FXRG too. Hope that i dont need it as the leather before.
Would buy it again
Ride save
Thomas
Greetings from Frankfurt/Germany
ThomasK

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2009, 02:59:37 AM »

I'm looking for a suggestion for travel gear.  I have the new version of the FXRG Midweight Leather jacket, obviously the liner that goes with it, I have the Tourmaster heated jacket, I have the Harley Overpass II Rain Suit, and some nice chaps that match my FXRG jacket perfectly.  If I'm heading on a trip at this time of the year, I have a few questions that need answers.  The next trip is from PA to IN.

Will the FXRG Leather be too warm to wear on the trip? if temps hit the 70's and 80's?
Do I take the heated jacket or just the jacket liner in case temps fall somewhat? 
It sounds like I don't need to take my rain suit jacket if the FXRG will double up...true? 
Do I just take my rain pants then?  (I'd like to get the FXRG pants also, but I can't find a dealer that has any for me to try on, and I definitely don't want to buy them without getting the correct size.  I was told by a dealer today that the leather pants are made to wear directly or over pants, but you need to decide how you will use them first, so you can get the correct size...is that true also?)
I'll take the chaps for chilly weather, but they probably won't help much in the rain, unless I want a wet butt...and I don't.
Damn, I hate packing weather gear for a trip.

At least I know what I'm taking as far as gloves, helmet, boots, eyewear, and other clothing.  I just got the FXRG jacket and haven't had a chance to wear it yet, so that's part of why I have no clue what part it will play for me.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2009, 03:46:43 AM »

I'm looking for a suggestion for travel gear.  I have the new version of the FXRG Midweight Leather jacket, obviously the liner that goes with it, I have the Tourmaster heated jacket, I have the Harley Overpass II Rain Suit, and some nice chaps that match my FXRG jacket perfectly.  If I'm heading on a trip at this time of the year, I have a few questions that need answers.  The next trip is from PA to IN.

Will the FXRG Leather be too warm to wear on the trip? if temps hit the 70's and 80's? YES
Do I take the heated jacket or just the jacket liner in case temps fall somewhat?  I'd do the heated and a lighter jacket
It sounds like I don't need to take my rain suit jacket if the FXRG will double up...true?  this time of year, i'd do the rain gear
Do I just take my rain pants then?  (I'd like to get the FXRG pants also, but I can't find a dealer that has any for me to try on, and I definitely don't want to buy them without getting the correct size.  I was told by a dealer today that the leather pants are made to wear directly or over pants, but you need to decide how you will use them first, so you can get the correct size...is that true also?)yes, made to go over the pants, you order as if you where ordering regular pants, they are sized for it.
I'll take the chaps for chilly weather, but they probably won't help much in the rain, unless I want a wet butt...and I don't. I would bring the chaps and raingear, should pack smaller that the FXRG. The FXRG midweight leather is really for colder temps than we now have, my wife has the Lightweight nylon and has been wearing it, but this past Sat it was too hot for even that.
Damn, I hate packing weather gear for a trip. oh suck it up

At least I know what I'm taking as far as gloves, helmet, boots, eyewear, and other clothing.  I just got the FXRG jacket and haven't had a chance to wear it yet, so that's part of why I have no clue what part it will play for me.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2009, 06:14:56 PM »

I would take the FX jacket, but that's me - I don't kike to get cold. With the liner out I find it can still be comfortable up to about 80, it does have vents and you don't have to zip it up all the way. The older ones had a two way zipper and I think they eliminated the 2 way due failure (mine was replaced).

I carry rain pants in the bike and depend on the FX for the rain jacket - but on a long trip I will still bring a rain jacket. The FX does nothing for the rain that can run down your neck - front or back.

I wore it last week in western NC and got caught in some pretty heavy storms - stayed dry. I think it was good that I was never in rain more then an hour and that I was able to hang it up in the room every night.

But after last week I am convinced for the short hauls it will work fine for rain gear. If I am going to be in rain for 5-10 hours I think I would want a gore tex jacket to go over the leathers.

FX pants are either. Either by themselves or over pants. I don't have them and only the price has kept me from getting them. But if I ever order them it will be as over pants so that I can take them off when I stop.

I ended up buying a pair of leather coveralls instead 4 years ago and really like them. http://www.stonelakeleatherworks.com/

These work good because the go up inside the jacket.

Several years ago when in Carolina the temps dropped pretty low and I ended up buying a pair of Olympia riding pants. Insulted, padded and double as rain gear. http://www.motogearoutlet.com/pants.htm

Get your rain pants large enough to go over the chaps, I wish I had.

The gore tex stuff is pricey and rolls up small.

Will the FXRG Leather be too warm to wear on the trip? if temps hit the 70's and 80's?
Do I take the heated jacket or just the jacket liner in case temps fall somewhat? 
It sounds like I don't need to take my rain suit jacket if the FXRG will double up...true? 
Do I just take my rain pants then?  (I'd like to get the FXRG pants also, but I can't find a dealer that has any for me to try on, and I definitely don't want to buy them without getting the correct size.  I was told by a dealer today that the leather pants are made to wear directly or over pants, but you need to decide how you will use them first, so you can get the correct size...is that true also?)
I'll take the chaps for chilly weather, but they probably won't help much in the rain, unless I want a wet butt...and I don't.
Damn, I hate packing weather gear for a trip.

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2009, 10:52:04 PM »

I would take the FX jacket, but that's me - I don't kike to get cold. With the liner out I find it can still be comfortable up to about 80, it does have vents and you don't have to zip it up all the way. The older ones had a two way zipper and I think they eliminated the 2 way due failure (mine was replaced).

I carry rain pants in the bike and depend on the FX for the rain jacket - but on a long trip I will still bring a rain jacket. The FX does nothing for the rain that can run down your neck - front or back.

I wore it last week in western NC and got caught in some pretty heavy storms - stayed dry. I think it was good that I was never in rain more then an hour and that I was able to hang it up in the room every night.

But after last week I am convinced for the short hauls it will work fine for rain gear. If I am going to be in rain for 5-10 hours I think I would want a gore tex jacket to go over the leathers.

FX pants are either. Either by themselves or over pants. I don't have them and only the price has kept me from getting them. But if I ever order them it will be as over pants so that I can take them off when I stop.

I ended up buying a pair of leather coveralls instead 4 years ago and really like them. http://www.stonelakeleatherworks.com/

These work good because the go up inside the jacket.

Several years ago when in Carolina the temps dropped pretty low and I ended up buying a pair of Olympia riding pants. Insulted, padded and double as rain gear. http://www.motogearoutlet.com/pants.htm

Get your rain pants large enough to go over the chaps, I wish I had.

The gore tex stuff is pricey and rolls up small.

The new FXRG jacket does have the 2 way zipper, and also has a second zipper just inside the first one.  I assume that's a shield for anything that gets through the first zipper...wind or water.  I am wondering what something is for on the jacket though.  On the inside, at the bottom rear, there is what appears to be a bag (like a sunglass bag material) that's about 8" X 12" with a zipper across the bottom.  When I unzip it, no bag opens, but rather the bottom half of the zipper just comes off.  I'm making a guess that maybe the leather pants zip to the jacket here, but they really don't provide instructions with the jacket.  Does anyone know for sure what this is?  I never thought I would own a jacket that needed an owner's manual...leave it to Harley.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2009, 10:58:56 PM »

The new FXRG jacket does have the 2 way zipper, and also has a second zipper just inside the first one.  I assume that's a shield for anything that gets through the first zipper...wind or water.  I am wondering what something is for on the jacket though.  On the inside, at the bottom rear, there is what appears to be a bag (like a sunglass bag material) that's about 8" X 12" with a zipper across the bottom.  When I unzip it, no bag opens, but rather the bottom half of the zipper just comes off.  I'm making a guess that maybe the leather pants zip to the jacket here, but they really don't provide instructions with the jacket.  Does anyone know for sure what this is?  I never thought I would own a jacket that needed an owner's manual...leave it to Harley.
Just a guess.......could it be it's own stuff sack to fold up into?  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2009, 11:17:31 PM »

Just a guess.......could it be it's own stuff sack to fold up into?  :-\ spyder

No.  When you unzip it, it's just removal of the bottom half of the zipper.  It doesn't actually open into a bag at all.

Another question...the built in kidney belt.  The belt goes through some big "belt loops" inside the jacket and then snaps into the jacket at each end of it.  Are you supposed to completely remove the entire kidney belt from the jacket to use it, or just unsnap the ends and simply pull it around your waist and leave it going through the loops.  They tell you on the coat tag that the kidney belt works if properly used, but they don't tell you how to properly use it.

I'm guessing that noone is going to be able to take an honest stab at the answers to these questions unless you have the new model of the FXRG jacket.  Apparently, they have made some changes and they should have provided some instructions for this jacket.  I may have to call customer service and see if they can get me some answers.  Nobody told me I would need a separate shop manual to operate my jacket.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2009, 12:35:20 AM »

Just unsnap and use it. The snaps are used to hold it in the garmet when not in use.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
      Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2009, 01:38:11 AM »

Just unsnap and use it. The snaps are used to hold it in the garmet when not in use.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
      Brad

Brad,

Does yours have the zipper inside at the rear, at the bottom of what looks like a bag, but it's not?

Dave

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2009, 03:15:45 AM »

The zipper mates to the FX pants. I don't know why - its not like the jacket will ride up. And it seems like it would be a pain to put on.

The second zipper on the jacket is the extra rain guard, more important know since they started using the bigger zipper and not the water tight zip.

MV 2013

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2009, 05:26:14 AM »

The zipper mates to the FX pants. I don't know why - its not like the jacket will ride up. And it seems like it would be a pain to put on.

The second zipper on the jacket is the extra rain guard, more important know since they started using the bigger zipper and not the water tight zip.

That seems like it would be mighty difficult to zip that to pants.  I can't see how that could possibly be any extra help in keeping dry.  I guess I won't worry about that thing anymore.

For the price of these things, they should come with a nice storage bag with D-rings for easy tie down, or to stow inside the luggage without damaging it.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2009, 10:22:32 AM »

Here is mine tied down at Rolling Thunder when the temps started to rise.
Just use a "bungee net"

MV 2013

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2009, 03:58:44 PM »

In an accident the jacket and pants will seperate allowing you to get road rash at the waist and hips.  So many riding suit manufacturers make the combo gear able to zip together so it will act like a one piece while still being cooler and easier to wear.

Although I did try zipping it together only once.  PIA.

Ride Safe,
JC

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2009, 11:55:07 PM »

If you go down hard enough that the leather doesn't stay put, then that feeble little zipper ain't gonna do squat
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:58:19 PM by porthole »

MV 2013

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2009, 06:58:42 AM »

All the zipper is for is to keep wind/cold and rain out, nothing more.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 22 queries.