Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rinehart baffless  (Read 4757 times)

Assfault

• Flash burn
Rinehart baffless
« on: July 21, 2005, 09:57:03 PM »

I have a set of Rinehart true duals on a 2001 se Road Glide.  For the past month or so i have been hearing a rattle that I thought was a loose heat sheild. After tightening the heat sheilds twice  this problem persist. I took a rubber malet and was tapping on the pipe to find where this was coming from, then I discovered that the baffles were rattling inside the lower tube. It was driving me crazy so I took off the endcaps and slide the baffles out to find that the baffles were worn to the point they were not fitting the tube snug. I decided for sanity purposes to take the baffles out. This causes two questions to come to mind. Is anyone else experiencing this problem??? And by taking the baffles out am I going to cause problems down the road besides loss of hearing..   [smiley=confused5.gif]
Gremlin Bell

delnel

• Full CVO Member
  • Just Enjoying Life!! Ride On
Re: Rinehart baffless
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 08:16:53 AM »

I have had the same problem with my Rinehart baffles. I just took a flat screw driver and a hammer and with the end caps on tapped the baffle forward until it fit good. DelNel [smiley=beerchug.gif]
Never be afraid to do something new. Remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 12:38:39 PM »

I had the same problem with my 03 RK.  Talked to BUB and they said to pull the baffle out, ping the leading end with a hammer and slide it back in.  It me three times to get it  to fit tight.  Rubber mallet works the best to get the purple end cap to fit right.

Also found that if the bolt where the support piece is fitted above the transimission, will also cause a rattle.

Love the way they look, the they sound, but am a little disappointed in the overall quality.  Have heard that BUB will replace the end caps, any body know anything about that?

John

"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

Bad Daddy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 07:36:46 PM »

Had the same issue.  Spread the ends on the baffle and used a rubber mallet also.  Got it good and snug and the rattle is gone.  Also snugged the header bolts and the mount, which was a tad bit loose.  Problem seems to be gone.  If it returns, I'll go back to freedom cycles for resolution.

My toys:
'95 FLSTN
'97 FLSTS
'03 FLHTCUI w/BigBore, V&H, Thunderstars
'05 FLHTCSE2 Two Tone Cherry
'06 FXDI35
'03 M5

Assfault

• Flash burn
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 08:03:31 PM »

Thank you for your suggestions. I ended up putting the baffles back in and tapping them up into the pipe further pushing them slightly out of the endcap. So far So good. It also seems to help the performance some in the way of idle and midrange power.   thanks again.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Gremlin Bell

Wallbanger

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 09:38:56 PM »

I have a 03 FLHRSEI with 42,000 miles. I put the True Dual Rinehart exhaust system on when I had my 1,000 mi checkup. Last year I was in New Mexico the right muffler fell off. It came apart where the muffler is welded to the neck that goes on the exhaust pipe. I'm here in Phoenix now and about three weeks ago I was changing my oil and found a crack in the rear exhaust pipe, where it bolts on top of the transmission. I sent it back to my dealer in Victoria, and while I was waiting for my new exhaust I was cleaning the left muffler and spotted a crack right at the weld where the other muffler came apart. So I sent the muffler back to the dealer in Victoria. I was wondering if anyone else was having this much trouble with the Rinehart exhaust system.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.