Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Heated clothing preference  (Read 23783 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Heated clothing preference
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 12:57:56 AM »

Powerlet makes GREAT heated clothing too.

Mark

Good to know they're an alternative Mark.  With the other major player retiring from the field will be good to know there's more competition in the market.  Powerlet's plugs, mounts and sockets sure are handy.  Nice to know they do other things well also.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 01:56:58 AM »

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 06:45:39 PM »

I have been using the same Harley jacket liner since 2002 without any problems. Just wish that the temp.controller were a little More user friendly. KB
kb

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 09:19:41 PM »

I bought some last year to ride to New England...Gerbing...look it!

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 11:18:15 AM »

All right folks here is the official word on Harley's Heated gear (My wife just happens to work at a dealership) One year warranty on the clothing end and lifetime on the electrical components.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 09:43:10 PM »

Woodstock HD just started carrying Gerbing . They give 10% off to HOG members. Gerbing has more sizes to chose from and will even custom make clothes for you. We have had ours for 4 years they are great. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 10:45:46 AM »

Woodstock HD just started carrying Gerbing . They give 10% off to HOG members. Gerbing has more sizes to chose from and will even custom make clothes for you. We have had ours for 4 years they are great. Billy
Just called them, they have to special order it.  The discount is only for local HOG members and that doesn't include special orders.   :'(
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 10:48:50 AM »

Rode in late this am - was low 50's...  Having my body warm, kept my hands warm.

Very happy with the Exo2 so far, heats up fast and keeps me toasty.  Only had a sweatshirt over it, and a long sleeve T-shirt under it.

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 08:53:36 PM »

I have Harley gear(Jacket and gloves) This is my third fall winter season with them. They still work great and I have no complaints.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 09:36:03 AM »

I've ordered mine last week, had to add 2" to the jacket and arm lengths. No problem , no extra charge. Just takes a little longer to get it customized. It added 2 weeks to the delivery time.
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 10:43:52 PM »

My wife has has the jacket and gloves for a while and i am planning to purchase the vest and gloves soon after the cold weather in MV last month !!

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 11:16:22 PM »

Gerbings 100%!

Approximately 10 years ago I purchased the H-D heated outer Jacket and thought it was amazing... A friend had purchased a similar jacket from Gerbings...  After a little research I discovered that Gerbings actually made the jackets for H-D.  I thought great, I have the best heated jacket going and mine has the H-D logo on it!  I couldn't have been happier, even though I knew I paid a hefty premium to be wearing that logo.

Well, as it turns out through trial and error of wearing the jacket, I realized once again that not all things are made equal!  The "Gerbings" jacket that my friend was sporting had flaps over the outside pockets (obviously to keep the rain out and your belongings in), the connects for the gloves were neatly tucked in their own zippered pockets on the outside of the sleeves where they actually belong, NOT on the inside as in my H-D version where they just dangle about when not in use.  However, the real big goof (in my opinion, not necessarily H-D's) was the fact that the Gerbings coat was water resistant!

When I questioned Gerbings about Harley's version appearing to be inferior, they explained that when H-D commissioned them to produce a jacket for Harley the powers at the MoCo instructed them NOT to make their jackets water resistant and leave the flaps off the pockets... Those guys in design at H-D aren't fools!  They certainly didn't want to hurt their sales of rain suits.

The Gerbings won't protect you in a heavy down pour, but if you're caught in light rain, they do a great job for a while... With the H-D version, you'll be soaked to the skin very quickly, almost at the first sign of rain.

Two years ago my wife and I both purchased "the real mccoy" - Gerbings outer heated jackets and gloves... We couldn't be happier!  I always say, "it's like riding in a hot tub!"

After the snow cleared from southern Ontario (not much, but a little) today I decided to go for a ride in approximately 40 degree weather, and it was fabulous.

My wife and I ride all year long and would never think about it without our Gerbings jackets.  Actually, since owning these jackets, we haven't worn a leather jacket and feel so much better for it.  These jacket are much lighter in weight and therefore is much less stress on our necks and shoulders.  We wear them most of the year with only one short sleeve shirt on, just plug in when it gets cold.  In the really hot weather we'll wear a jean jacket or another light one, but most of the time we'll be wearing our Gerbings.

As for durability, my wife when down last year in Vermont, totalled her new '07 Ultra with 12,000 on it, broke her wrist and was bruised up pretty bad.  Although she hit the ground pretty hard, her Gerbings jacket not only protected her from serious scrapes and further injury, it didn't have a tear in it and looked no worse for the wear!

The wife picked up a new bike last February, is back riding again with her Gerbings jacket and loving everything about riding again!

Like I mentioned in the beginning - Gerbings 100%!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:20:49 PM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 11:30:43 PM »

My wife has has the jacket and gloves for a while and i am planning to purchase the vest and gloves soon after the cold weather in MV last month !!
You mean that new '09 scooter didn't come fully equiped with the heated clothing?  :-\ har!  ::) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 07:34:17 AM »

I was looking at their (Gerbings) site yesterday and their in moving mode. No production until Nov 3. 
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 08:26:09 AM »

Gerbings 100%!

Approximately 10 years ago I purchased the H-D heated outer Jacket and thought it was amazing... A friend had purchased a similar jacket from Gerbings...  After a little research I discovered that Gerbings actually made the jackets for H-D.  I thought great, I have the best heated jacket going and mine has the H-D logo on it!  I couldn't have been happier, even though I knew I paid a hefty premium to be wearing that logo.

Well, as it turns out through trial and error of wearing the jacket, I realized once again that not all things are made equal!  The "Gerbings" jacket that my friend was sporting had flaps over the outside pockets (obviously to keep the rain out and your belongings in), the connects for the gloves were neatly tucked in their own zippered pockets on the outside of the sleeves where they actually belong, NOT on the inside as in my H-D version where they just dangle about when not in use.  However, the real big goof (in my opinion, not necessarily H-D's) was the fact that the Gerbings coat was water resistant!

When I questioned Gerbings about Harley's version appearing to be inferior, they explained that when H-D commissioned them to produce a jacket for Harley the powers at the MoCo instructed them NOT to make their jackets water resistant and leave the flaps off the pockets... Those guys in design at H-D aren't fools!  They certainly didn't want to hurt their sales of rain suits.

The Gerbings won't protect you in a heavy down pour, but if you're caught in light rain, they do a great job for a while... With the H-D version, you'll be soaked to the skin very quickly, almost at the first sign of rain.

Two years ago my wife and I both purchased "the real mccoy" - Gerbings outer heated jackets and gloves... We couldn't be happier!  I always say, "it's like riding in a hot tub!"

After the snow cleared from southern Ontario (not much, but a little) today I decided to go for a ride in approximately 40 degree weather, and it was fabulous.

My wife and I ride all year long and would never think about it without our Gerbings jackets.  Actually, since owning these jackets, we haven't worn a leather jacket and feel so much better for it.  These jacket are much lighter in weight and therefore is much less stress on our necks and shoulders.  We wear them most of the year with only one short sleeve shirt on, just plug in when it gets cold.  In the really hot weather we'll wear a jean jacket or another light one, but most of the time we'll be wearing our Gerbings.

As for durability, my wife when down last year in Vermont, totalled her new '07 Ultra with 12,000 on it, broke her wrist and was bruised up pretty bad.  Although she hit the ground pretty hard, her Gerbings jacket not only protected her from serious scrapes and further injury, it didn't have a tear in it and looked no worse for the wear!

The wife picked up a new bike last February, is back riding again with her Gerbings jacket and loving everything about riding again!

Like I mentioned in the beginning - Gerbings 100%!
Grizzly, thanks for taking the time for a great write up. living in Upstate NY, heated gear has been contemplated more than once. Again, appreciate the write up. As a side note just curious how you ride year round in Ontario. Do your roads get salted? Sorry for the  :jack:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.