Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Windshield pics, as promised. Just a little late>  (Read 4412 times)

omgtkk

Windshield pics, as promised. Just a little late>
« on: October 10, 2008, 04:37:33 PM »

As promised, here are a few quick pics of the Memphis Shades shield I just mounted on the bike.  This is a Rio Grande shield from the sportshield family.  You buy the mounting hardware and the acrylic shield separately.  This is the second largest shield in the series.  The fork clamps are nicely made pieces and they are very secure.  I definitely favor this set-up over a handlebar mounted shield.  It took just a little tweaking to get it adjusted so that there was no buffeting on my helmet. 

omgtkk

Re: Windshield pics, as promised. Just a little late>
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »

another

omgtkk

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 04:38:23 PM »

and another

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 07:43:08 PM »

Looks nice! I love mine at about 67-85 mph

elvislee

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 11:19:55 AM »

First let me say a HUGE thank you to Kenny for his help in the purchase of my new windshield for the Fxr4. But I do not forget and give much thanks to others who have had input into my windshield search; Spiderman (BB), RedFxr2 (Mike), John (Clearview) for their help and guidance to my purchase  :2vrolijk_21:

I researched and considered  the HD windshield, the Clearview shield, National Cycle, Winvest, and Memphis Shades. In the end I decided to purchase the Memphis Shade "Rio Grande" from their sportshield family. I look forward to it arriving hopefully next week. Thanks to all of you again...Blaine
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:23:28 AM by elvislee »

elvislee

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 09:26:02 AM »

Somebody slap me silly...How could I forget Abbynormal (Leanne) and Mike (Plasmaman)...They gave me much valued info in this search  :2vrolijk_21:

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 07:53:43 PM »

Ken....

Nicely done..... :2vrolijk_21: thanks for sharing your success here with all of us....
I really enjoy my windshield on longer rides as well.

Regards,

Tim

elvislee

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 08:34:58 PM »

Ken....

Nicely done..... :2vrolijk_21: thanks for sharing your success here with all of us....
I really enjoy my windshield on longer rides as well.

Regards,

Tim

Tim,
    Do you have a shield on your Fxr2? I don't ever remember discussing with you or reading any posts that you had one? What kind do you have and do you have the quick connect system? What determines when you use it other than longer rides as you stated? Do you use it riding locally around town barhopping? ;D ...Thanks...Blaine  :2vrolijk_21:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 11:12:42 PM »

Tim,
    Do you have a shield on your Fxr2? I don't ever remember discussing with you or reading any posts that you had one? What kind do you have and do you have the quick connect system? What determines when you use it other than longer rides as you stated? Do you use it riding locally around town barhopping? ;D ...Thanks...Blaine  :2vrolijk_21:

Blaine ........ even though you weren't asking me, I'm putting in anyways    LOL
I have one on my 4, it's a quick disconnect, it's an HD one.   I ride with it 99.8% of the time.......  I prefer the look of the bike without it, but I prefer to ride with the shield, it's just more comfortable with the shield on
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

elvislee

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 04:33:26 AM »

Blaine ........ even though you weren't asking me, I'm putting in anyways    LOL
I have one on my 4, it's a quick disconnect, it's an HD one.   I ride with it 99.8% of the time.......  I prefer the look of the bike without it, but I prefer to ride with the shield, it's just more comfortable with the shield on

Hey Mikey...No problem; your input is always welcome  :2vrolijk_21: I just didn't ever remember of Tim having a shield on his Fxr2  ??? Best of my memories are only ever seeing pics of his bad to the bone 2 without one and was trying to get some input from him  :2vrolijk_21:

Yea mikey, I had been tossing the idea of a shield eve since I bought my bike 2 years years ago but just never really felt I needed one to the point that I just bought one. Now that its gotten cooler out (and me older)  ;D; I decided to get one to see if it would help keep the wind and chill off a bit. My ass gets cold when its below 60 degrees...Yep...I'm a wuss  ;D Can't stand the cool or cold weather. So I figured something like a quick connect/disconnect would be good to have when I want to ride with a shield...Hey, and I never rode any kind of bike with a shield on and I rode a few; so, I'm looking forward to the experiance... best to ya  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 04:38:38 AM by elvislee »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 12:15:36 PM »

Do you have a shield on your Fxr2? I don't ever remember discussing with you or reading any posts that you had one? What kind do you have and do you have the quick connect system? What determines when you use it other than longer rides as you stated? Do you use it riding locally around town barhopping? 

Blaine~~~~

Actually I do have a windshield, but it was by default in a way....as I already owned a detachable windshield set up for my 2003 Dyna Low Rider (FXDL) (see parts list below) so when I sold the bike after 4 years of ownership in which I might add the windshield was never removed from the soft storage bag hanging on my garage wall....but by golly I owned one...lol...I took the parts and moved them right over....saved some money lol.......

58164-96A    39 MM Detachable Hardware Kit For Windshield  $55.96    09-24-2002   Put On 2003 FXDL             
58112-96       Detachable Winshield                                           $227.96    09-24-2002   Put On 2003 FXDL

When I sold the 2003 FXDL, I stripped the bike of certain parts that would also fit on my FXR2 and of course these were two of the parts that nicely transferred over.  I really never used a windshield until finally using one on my 2002 RKC.  You see I ride with a full face helmet....lol yep one of those....so the windshield on a RKC really I thought never served much purpose and I thought the RKC looked(s) better without the windshield....so finally I started using the windshield on the RKC and I found out that I pretty much could ride without my visor down with the windshield on without so much wind making my eyes water without you know special "wrap around" sunglasses...lol I wear glasses too....so those are hard to find with my stigmatism....lol so as I digress....anyway with windshield "success" on my RKC I finally was prompted to use a windshield on the FXR2.  I discovered some of the "small benefits" of using a windshield even while wearing a full face helmet.....

In my opinion all windshields detract from the "LOOK" of a bike, but on the other hand the windshields serve a wonderful purpose, ie: bugs, less wind on chest, and of course in rain, flying objects, which by the way is one of my concerns when going down the interstate since this windshield is short enough making it capable for me seeing over it and not through it.  So when I am on the interstate pretty much my Full Face Helmet has it's visor in the down position....it's always a constant debate....ie: bees, bugs, or whatever hitting one's eye....or cheek....lol.....right?  digressing again sorry......

Bottom line is on a trip the windshield serves a great purpose.....and after a while you don't even notice the windshield.....and I might add one thing.....I have a "lightly" smoked windshield for my RKC which comes in a "shorter version" which did not require altering to a lower cut so I didn't look through the windshield but at nite the smoke windshield does make it a bit more difficult to see....I would always suggest to go with a "clear" windshield.....I am not sure what these "colored" windshields are like perhaps they are no big deal at all....but if I had my "drothers" I would always pick a clear windshield.....My first windshield on my 2002 RKC was a clear one that I had to take to a window/glass shop to have cut down so I wouldn't be seeing through it.....seeing through a windshield is miserable.....but even though you aren't exactly looking through it going down the highway with your eyes you still on occasion after all will find yourself needing to look through it. 

So riding with a "lightly" smoked version of a windshield and a clear version of a windshield knowing what I know from experiences I would always choose clear even though the "lightly smoked' windshield goes so well with the theme of my custom black pearl painted RKC...(lol time for digression again....RKC never came in black pearl....but mine does....LOL had it custom painted....so now I don't get confused in parking lots.....sorry digression again....) I should mention that I am talking about when riding at nite that's when these colored windshields come into play.....digressing again....I try to arrange all of my riding for daytime and stay away from nite time riding as much as possible....of course nothing is ever 100% so sometimes I find myself also riding at nite.....but if one makes themselves only availabe to ride in the day time 100% of the time then a "lightly smoked' or colored windshield would definitely have much less negative impact for seeing.....SO That's another thing I would make sure that the windshield anyone picks is not one they look through but if upon receiving it you find out you are looking through the windshield then it's no big deal for around $35.00 - $40.00 one can have it cut down at a glass shop....but I wouldn't want a windshield I was forced to look through AT ALL!!!!

to be continued:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:55:05 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 12:43:22 PM »

What determines when you use it other than longer rides as you stated? Do you use it riding locally around town barhopping?

If I were going to be gone on the bike for a week....it would be on, if I am on the bike for a 2 or 3 day trip and that trip is going to be in the mountains where the average speed might be 45 miles an hour anyway.....then it's decision time....if it's going to be projected for rain....it's on...if it's projected for entire sun shine....once again the debate is on.....it seems I always in the decision mode of NOT wanting to use a windshield.....butttttt I am glad it's on....it's a tough call.....in town it's always off....and the great thing about this is....it's a 45 second installation decision at most....ok maybe 30 second installation decision....lol....

Oh and one other thing.....I am not sure what the costs of windshields are today as you can see the prices I provided above were prices from fall of 2002, but I would DEFINITELY PURCHASE "quick release" ONLY and I would spend the least amount possible.....and don't worry no one will steal them.....lol they are too fuggly looking lol.....

Tim
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:57:25 PM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 12:45:19 PM »

58164-96A    39 MM Detachable Hardware Kit For Windshield  $55.96
58112-96       Detachable Windshield $227.96 

Just for the record, I believe I have the exact same quick-detach windshield on my FXR2.

Very much like Tim, I'd rather not use the thing and don't unless I feel like some ride factor calls for it.  Distance and weather being the main two reasons.  On the other hand, it does help with reducing fatigue and warding off flying objects if you're going to be in the saddle for quite a while.

I would also need to either remove the visor fairing I recently added (no big deal to do so), or at least trim the headlight opening with a Dremel tool to clear the fairing, much like Buffy and others have done on their CVO Wide Glides.  Me, I'd rather just remove the fairing--two small bolts.

BTW, I also wear a full-face helmet--made the "conversion" from a 3/4 last year.  Just having it helps with the same factors that would justify a windshield, so I've used the windshield less since I got it.

RedFXR2

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 12:46:47 PM »

Ken:  The bag shown in this picture:

...looks just like the one I have from Nelson-Rigg.  Is that who made yours?  Some coincidence if true.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:48:43 PM by RedFXR2 »

elvislee

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 01:07:56 PM »

Do you have a shield on your Fxr2? I don't ever remember discussing with you or reading any posts that you had one? What kind do you have and do you have the quick connect system? What determines when you use it other than longer rides as you stated? Do you use it riding locally around town barhopping? 

Blaine~~~~

Actually I do have a windshield, but it was by default in a way....as I already owned a detachable windshield set up for my 2003 Dyna Low Rider (FXDL) (see parts list below) so when I sold the bike after 4 years of ownership in which I might add the windshield was never removed from the soft storage bag hanging on my garage wall....but by golly I owned one...lol...I took the parts and moved them right over....saved some money lol.......

58164-96A    39 MM Detachable Hardware Kit For Windshield  $55.96    09-24-2002   Put On 2003 FXDL             
58112-96       Detachable Winshield                                           $227.96    09-24-2002   Put On 2003 FXDL

When I sold the 2003 FXDL, I stripped the bike of certain parts that would also fit on my FXR2 and of course these were two of the parts that nicely transferred over.  I really never used a windshield until finally using one on my 2002 RKC.  You see I ride with a full face helmet....lol yep one of those....so the windshield on a RKC really I thought never served much purpose and I thought the RKC looked(s) better without the windshield....so finally I started using the windshield on the RKC and I found out that I pretty much could ride without my visor down with the windshield on without so much wind making my eyes water without you know special "wrap around" sunglasses...lol I wear glasses too....so those are hard to find with my stigmatism....lol so as I digress....anyway with windshield "success" on my RKC I finally was prompted to use a windshield on the FXR2.  I discovered some of the "small benefits" of using a windshield even while wearing a full face helmet.....

In my opinion all windshields detract from the "LOOK" of a bike, but on the other hand the windshields serve a wonderful purpose, ie: bugs, less wind on chest, and of course in rain, flying objects, which by the way is one of my concerns when going down the interstate since this windshield is short enough making it capable for me seeing over it and not through it.  So when I am on the interstate pretty much my Full Face Helmet has it's visor in the down position....it's always a constant debate....ie: bees, bugs, or whatever hitting one's eye....or cheek....lol.....right?  digressing again sorry......

Bottom line is on a trip the windshield serves a great purpose.....and after a while you don't even notice the windshield.....and I might add one thing.....I have a "lightly" smoked windshield for my RKC which comes in a "shorter version" which did not require altering to a lower cut so I didn't look through the windshield but at nite the smoke windshield does make it a bit more difficult to see....I would always suggest to go with a "clear" windshield.....I am not sure what these "colored" windshields are like perhaps they are no big deal at all....but if I had my "drothers" I would always pick a clear windshield.....My first windshield on my 2002 RKC was a clear one that I had to take to a window/glass shop to have cut down so I wouldn't be seeing through it.....seeing through a windshield is miserable.....but even though you aren't exactly looking through it going down the highway with your eyes you still on occassion after all will find yourself on occasssion needing to look through it. 

Hey Tim,
     One thing is always for sure; when someone asks a question(s) of you, your answers usually leave no stone unturned, but hey, that be good  :2vrolijk_21: ;D Well, I researched many windshields as stated earlier and decided on the Memphis Shade "Rio Grande" sportshield as Kenny did. I went with the Clear shield w/the gradient black color at the bottom of the shield as this particular shield did not come in a completely clear shield only (The gradient black covers about 1/4 to 1/3 of the shield from bottom up, roughly about from the top of the headlight to the handlebar level). It did come in a lightly smoked color as was the one Kenny purchased, but I really didn't want to deal with the possibilities of having to try and see through it at night and if raining.
     I purchased the 19" as when I measured while sitting on my bike at nose level straight out over the headlight at 20". So I figured the 19" should do the job. If by chance when mounted it is a bit high then I will have it cut down but that will all depend on how much room is between the headlight and the bottom of the shield. I also purchased the quick connect/release hardware for easy on easy off. Maybe in this week and will post pics. Thanks for all of ya'lls input...Blaine
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:10:40 PM by elvislee »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 21 queries.