Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-1 baffle question  (Read 21881 times)

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-1 baffle question
« on: October 15, 2008, 04:26:59 PM »

Just received my V&H Big Radius 2-1 and I have a doubt about the "lid" I found right at the end of the baffle inside the muffler...

My question is, do people run this system with that plug at the end or they remove it? second, what kind of performance can I expect with that cap on? is the sound any good as it comes or is it a must to get rid of the cover?

I include a pic so you see what I mean. The guy holding the pipe is not me..just in case you ask ;D (it's my son putting one of his clever faces..)
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

kev

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2 2008
Re: Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-1 baffle question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 06:03:40 PM »

I found that the V&H 2-1 are deafening while riding at any speed under 60mph. after that the sound doesn't seem to keep up. so high speed cruising is more acceptable to the head. But that said I still like em. Not sure about the cap I will take a look at mine tomorrow. 

kev

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 05:52:26 AM »

You have shown me yours so I will show you mine.
The disc is there as you can see but now discoloured. 
I cant comment on what it would run like if it wasnt there
I would say try it as it is, I think you will find it plenty loud enough

Kev
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:01:45 AM by kev »

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:08:36 AM »

I'm not running the 2 ino 1 but one of the guys thats rides with us put them on his 06 super glide, they really helped the performance of his bike and they are not loud but have the best sound i have heard from pipes right out of the box, they sounded a lot better than the Big Radius that i had on my Low Rider, until i changed the baffels. Install them and ride for a while, I think if you remove the baffel in those 2 into 1 with that huge pipe they will be so loud you won't be able to stand it and be willing it will hurt performance.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:20:38 AM »

That disk is needed for sufficient backpressure -  some other vendor makes rligion out of "disks" and the fin art of performance tuning  :coolblue: so it'll be wise to leave it in.
Not sure if they got the "quiet" baffles for these 2-1 Big Radius cans - but on my former true duals I had them ordered separately - I destroyed the first pair unwittlingly by taking off what I thought was some wrapping cloth - turned out that this was part of "silencer" (together with slightly different louvres) . Anyway - even when I reordered and installed them properly I found them equally loud than the original baffles - but that's just me  :-\

A_R

InfernoSE

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 12:54:50 PM »

I wouldn't take it out.  Mine is loud with it in.  I did have to drill a 1/2" hole in it for the dyno exhaust sensor used when I put the Power Commander on.  BTW, I got an 11 HP increase  :pepper: just bolting the pipe on, then 3 more after installing and tuning the PCIII.

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 02:02:47 PM »

Thanks guys,
You have given me plenty of information; enough to just leave the big pipe as it is. I actually fear they might be too loud for me after reading your comments, but I firmly belief that one of the things that you shouldn't do is try and make more power or better sound by modifying after market exhausts because amongst other things it makes sense to believe that the manufacturer has already tried all sorts of ways to improve power and sound; that's why they sell them. Standard pipes are a totally different cattle of fish, due to the law regarding sound and pollution emissions, but still in general you will always get crappy sound and doubtful power improvements from modifying them.

Oh, and by the way I guess I will have to grab hold of some ear plugs  :-X

Best Regards,
Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 05:02:29 PM »

Earplugs is always a good idea guys - I lost hearing in my left ear a full 100% after white-coat criminal doctored a sloppy job on me last year . The damage is incredible and no compensation nor liability here in this country  - you wouldn't believe how crazy you get of the white noise whole day and whole night so never inflict this level of damage on yourself is what I mean , not worth it.

Different kettle of fish you said ? I consider the only pipes that really brought the neighborhood down and set off car alarms within a solid 1 mile range my beloved Thunderheaders  :mango: I almost got shot at as a consequence - but hey , I was wearing my earplugs so I couldn't tell they where that loud could I  :oops: In the end I was almost responsible for premature delivery by the bird next door when I fired up my Fatboy with HTTC heads and Thunderheaders back in 2000  :pepper:

A_R

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 06:25:05 AM »

Guess we were all right,
Now that I'm done with the installation I definitely need ear plugs >:( The sound as it idles is harsh and unpleasant; as you open the throttle however the sound becomes more like a deep roar that is very pleasing to listen to, but when I went out for a spin I can certify that the dBs from this exhaust are more than what I can handle; not as strong as the Rineharts I had on my Dyna but still, too loud for me. Powerwise I can't tell since I haven't riden it enough and with my ThunderMax it will take some time to tune. Haven't installed the rear right foot rest yet since the kit came without the extension, but might just remove the other one, being a lone rider; that way I will get rid of the problem of having these footrests drop down by themselves while riding (that will surely fix the problem....) ;D
Will add some pics as soon as I have time, but check this one for starters...

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 03:40:57 PM »

Did 100 miles today and I stay put with what I stated previously; far TOO LOUD as my hearing is still ringing from that short trip. Apart from that, I was lucky I didn't meet any cops during the whole trip, but even when I was overtaking cars I felt very embarrased to give them the whole sound treat :-X :-X
In addition to that, I think I must have forgotten to tighten up my O2 sensors or something because the explosions I got as I closed the throttle were pretty much like shotgun sound.

I can definetly feel an improvement on top end power; to tell you the truth it has been the first time (honest...) I have been using my sixth gear for long periods of time without realising. It was only when I saw the little "6" on the clock that I noticed. That is clearly the great part of having a 2 into 1 system. Another benefit is the reduced vibration you get from a truly balanced engine as both exhausts join together and find the perfect equilibrium between both combustion chambers. We have the same on the inlet side, so it is only logical to join both flows on the exhaust side.

If only we could achieve that without so much racket!  :-\

Here are all the pics I took while changing the pipes and during the first road test:
http://imageevent.com/wforest/vancehinesbigradius2into1;jsessionid=9epeqa1ub2.penguin_s

So basically I'm pleased in a way and pi$$ed off on the other. I will allow my TMAx to tune itself for a while and hope I don't meet any cops while I ride; haven't the faintest idea on what to do to limit the dB's and maintain the performance..... any ideas???

BR,
Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »

i guess the back firing is cus the thundermax hasnt retuned the ecm injection settings yet.

The look of the pipes is awesume, but if ur scared to give gas cus of the noise then it rather defeats the object of fitting the performance pipes. These motors require an agressive ride. I sympathise with ur dilema. Could be these pipes r not the right choice for u and we might c them soon on ebay.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 05:36:38 PM »

I've heard the big radius 2 into 1 and it's not any louder than the Big shot staggard or my Rinehart Cross back exhaust.

I use ear plugs now mainly for wind noise rather than the exhaust level, I don't use them around town though....... only on the highway... :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

kev

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 06:31:15 AM »

As I mentioned gets quieter to the ear at 60mph + from the riders perspective anyway. I checked my manifold bolts a few weeks back, they were fine. and yes mine back fires on decel more on part throttle than closed,
The power is definitely more up the top end. usually just tickle the throttle round town. but  through traffic
the sound really helps cars to notice you are there, which can only be a good thing. 
Overall I am real happy with the sound of  2-1.  I would agree with Deuce Biglow There certainly not any louder than many others I have heard and there not the loudest on the market. I would put it down to tone rather than loudness.

Why not try em for a while now you have spent the cash, they may grow on you especially when you wind open that throttle.  :huepfenjump3:  :pepper:  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 06:48:25 AM by kev »

AZSSE

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 06:38:03 AM »

I liked them - my neighbors hated me, so to keep the peace they went.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »

As I mentioned gets quieter to the ear at 60mph + from the riders perspective anyway. I checked my manifold bolts a few weeks back, they were fine. and yes mine back fires on decel more on part throttle than closed,
The power is definitely more up the top end. usually just tickle the throttle round town. but  through traffic
the sound really helps cars to notice you are there, which can only be a good thing. 
Overall I am real happy with the sound of  2-1.  I would agree with Deuce Biglow There certainly not any louder than many others I have heard and there not the loudest on the market. I would put it down to tone rather than loudness.

Why not try em for a while now you have spent the cash, they may grow on you especially when you wind open that throttle.  :huepfenjump3:  :pepper:  :2vrolijk_21:

The tone of the big radius 2 -1 is another matter, I'm not a big fan of their tone..... but that's just my opinion...
and the main reason why I didn't buy it for my bike.  but you gotta' go with what sounds good to you. :2vrolijk_21:

kev

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 04:45:55 PM »

hello deuce biglow
I appreciate your opinion on tone, but just wondered if you get popping on decel from your setup

Kev

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 05:41:55 PM »

hello deuce biglow
I appreciate your opinion on tone, but just wondered if you get popping on decel from your setup

Kev

rarely.......

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 02:23:37 PM »

I stick to my point that sound/performance wise - nothing comes close to SuperTrapp - but that's just me ..
It looks not so cool but you eventually also get used to it . Reason for not going to the 2-1 is ground clearance which is already bad as it is w/o a lower mounted pipe . Just got myself killed almost the other day when I clipped a roundabout curbstone with my leftside frontpeg ....jeez , been lucky I guess to have had the reaction to front-brake immediately to get her upright at once...Well, the PM investment has been paid back by now ;-)

Rik

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 10:04:47 AM »

No more popping any longer, but still too loud. Nice roar though......
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 01:56:42 PM »

No more popping any longer, but still too loud. Nice roar though......

That's a great sound!  And good looking pipe!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 07:23:45 PM »

very nice.....
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.