Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil Consumption on a 2008 FXDSE Dyna SE  (Read 964 times)

105annivdyna

Oil Consumption on a 2008 FXDSE Dyna SE
« on: October 15, 2008, 10:55:50 PM »

I have a concern with the bike right now and that is oil consumption.
It has only 850 miles and I have had to add 1 1/2 quarts of oil so far. I don't know if I should be concerned.
The dealer said this can be expected during a break in. Some buddys of mine claim it is not
normal. What was your experience? Do you use much oil now? How many miles on yours.
Also what model do you have?

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
Re: Oil Consumption on a 2008 FXDSE Dyna SE
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:04:13 AM »

My 06 CUSE has always used about a quart per 1K miles, give or take, depending on the heat and type of riding. Never messed with it under wty as it is very close to what HD calls normal, and they would want to mark the dipstick, have me ride and come back later. Too much BS. Plus, the bike runs fine, doesn't smoke at all, and with one of the quietest top ends around, I don't want anyone to tear into it unless it absolutely necessary. I do, on occasion, get a smell of burning oil when riding.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:18:59 AM »

On my 07 SE Ultra I never have to add any oil between my changes of about 2000 miles. Always right up. THE MUFFMAN

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 07:20:22 AM »

I don't care what HD or anyone else says, a quart in 566 miles is too much, even during break-in.  The days of having to put a quart in during a day of riding are long gone.  I'd make sure it's not coming out the engine and make for  >:( sure the dealer has it documented that it is going through that much.  
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 08:35:18 AM »

I don't care what HD or anyone else says, a quart in 566 miles is too much, even during break-in.  The days of having to put a quart in during a day of riding are long gone.  I'd make sure it's not coming out the engine and make for  >:( sure the dealer has it documented that it is going through that much.  

:2vrolijk_21:

Absolutely correct.  All that BS about high consumption during break-in being normal is just that, BS.  Modern engines don't require the parts to finish the machining processes by "wearing in".  You might see a slightly higher consumption that quickly tapers off in the first 1000 miles, but 500 miles per quart is ridiculous.

Make certain the bike isn't overfilled leading to blow-by and that there are no leaks.  If it continues to use oil at that prodigious rate, contact the dealer and if necessary the MoCo.  Continuing to ride for thousands of miles, which many dealers will try to convince you to do, will not fix the problem.  If rings haven't sealed in the first few hundred miles, the odds are they never will.  And, it could be something like a missing or damaged valve stem seal.  Riding more "break-in" miles isn't going to fix that.

Be prepared for the "official" consumption test that Gecko mentioned.  The dealer will do an oil and filter change (at your expense) and then seal & mark the dipstick.  You will be instructed to bring the bike back to the dealership at certain mileage intervals to have them check the oil level and document any amounts they have to add.  Once they determine a consumption rate, they will compare that number to the chart H-D provides that indicates what they claim to be normal consumption.  Be prepared to be highly pissed when they tell you a quart every 1000 miles is normal.  I'm not sure what the chart says nowdays, but keep in mind the fact that those charts are theoretical in nature and meant only to reduce warranty expense.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:08:54 AM »

my bet is on one of the middle piston rings are up side down. but it would probably show smoke.  axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »

Yea, we was going to ask, do you see any smoke? Have someone ride behind you, get on it a couple of times, and lug it just a little, see if they notice any smoke. Also look at your plugs.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.