Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Watermelon Crawl  (Read 4715 times)

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
Watermelon Crawl
« on: August 01, 2005, 11:57:42 PM »

I was hangin' round the Harley shop in late July, on a day hot enough to make the devil sigh. Took a look around the corner, beat all you ever saw, said hey how bout a ride there on that watermelon Paul?
 Ok it was August, and the sales manager was Chris, but those just don't work into the lyrics.
 Took a ride on a watermelon today.
 The suspension is stock height.
 The ride is electra glide smooth a vast improvement on our stock suspension.
 The sound system is EXCELLENT.
 The seat is EXCELLENT, at least for me it is, I'm 5'9".
 Whoever put THAT backrest on THAT seat was smoking crack. The first change would be to either take it off, which I did, or replace it with the stock electra glide backrest.
 Just like our bikes, most will be set up with the tourpak in the forward position. It will need to be moved back unless you ride solo or hate your wife.
 The wife reports that the ride is much better than mine even with the reworked suspension. A lot like our old RK Classic.
 The stock mufflers are very quiet, no surprise.
 The engine seems very "happy". They must have done some ecm remapping.
 The dark brown color does NOT show a lot of flake in the sun, in that respect it is a lot like the starlight black on the '04s, as you have to look really hard to even tell that it has flake. Where the '04 starlight black looks kind of purple in certain light this will look brown.
 Nice bike.
 I understand that the autumn haze looks "wheat colored". I'll let you all know when I see one in person.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 01:19:15 AM by mobe »
MObe

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Watermelon Crawl
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 08:46:17 AM »

Ok now I'm envious.  what was wrong with the back rest?  Well if it rides like the old road king that would be very nice.  Thanks for the report.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 12:59:20 PM »

It looks like they tried to stick a backrest like ours into a thick ultra seat. What they have succeeded in doing is making the top edge dig right into your back at the worst possible spot.
MObe

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 08:51:40 PM »

I was hangin' round the Harley shop in late July, on a day hot enough to make the devil sigh. Took a look around the corner, beat all you ever saw, said hey how bout a ride there on that watermelon Paul?

Mobe,
What a lucky man you are, I too am envious. I've been to two dealerships trying just to see one of the new SEUC in person. My primary dealership hasn't taken it out the crate yet, other dealership didn't elaborate but was quick to inform me they were only getting three and they were already sold. I was just interested in looking at bike to see what I would like to add to mines from what is new on these, and listen to the stereo. Oh well I guess I'll have to wait until one of the dealerships have there '06 unveilings and look with all the rest of the "looky lou's"  [smiley=laugh.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2005, 01:38:06 AM »

It looks like they tried to stick a backrest like ours into a thick ultra seat. What they have succeeded in doing is making the top edge dig right into your back at the worst possible spot.
Great Report! I wonder if that backrest mount could move back a set of holes? I did move the mount on the 05 and it was actually useable for me.

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 08:56:56 AM »

A Watermelon is listed on ebay,bid of $26,000 so far. [smiley=6.gif]
hdnut

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 01:52:41 PM »

The reserve on that watermelon is 34,500.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 06:17:22 PM »

Now it's up to $32,600.  I'll bet he gets it. This early in the game, there's not many around.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 10:59:31 PM »

I got my first look at a watermelon today, and I have to admit that the tour pak is not as ugly in person as it is in the photos.  It sort of flows from the seat, so I guess you could get used to it.  Unfortunately, there is no way I can abide that jagged bright green stripe, however.  The Lord only knows why H-D screwed up the paint job with that stripe!

Considering the better sound system and intercom, the standard ride height suspension, and the much more comfortable seat, I would have been tempted.  Now if they would just paint one my favorite color (solid black).  BTW, I'm slightly amazed that H-D only priced it 2k over the SEEG, since reasonableness in pricing has never been their long suit.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 11:41:36 PM »

5 cans of black spray paint from hardware store...and your good to go. Oh, get the gloss
it will look better.
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 07:24:34 AM »

5 cans of black spray paint from hardware store...and your good to go. Oh, get the gloss
it will look better.

I don't know - gloss might not be the "in" thing right now.  H-D seems to think someone out there wants flat black.  Looked at one of the Street Bob's in that color, and it makes me think the paint on the watermelon isn't all that bad after all.  Maybe I should just use a brush and start a new style?
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 22 queries.