Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Cool Weather Ride Advice Sought  (Read 6568 times)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: Cool Weather Ride Advice Sought
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 01:39:46 PM »

Cold Gear by UnderArmor is your answer.  Packs up extremely small, washes in the hotel sink, dries in a couple of hours, fits under any garment, does not get saggy or droopy, does not cause you to over heat when you stop for lunch (or pie) and comes in many colors. 

Don't get me wrong, the electric stuff is the bomb.  Just make sure you have extra fuses or a back up plan in case of electrical problems.  We have found though that if you have the UnderArmor, we seldom are looking for more.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »

Cold Gear by UnderArmor is your answer.  Packs up extremely small, washes in the hotel sink, dries in a couple of hours, fits under any garment, does not get saggy or droopy, does not cause you to over heat when you stop for lunch (or pie) and comes in many colors. 

Don't get me wrong, the electric stuff is the bomb.  Just make sure you have extra fuses or a back up plan in case of electrical problems.  We have found though that if you have the UnderArmor, we seldom are looking for more.

I'd forgotten for a moment.  You guys were starting on that same trip to York.  That's when MrWe's compensator loosened up.  We caugth Mike White pulling his new N-Line at that first gas stop and listened to the blue bike go "chunkety thumpety chunkety."

You guys were the real troopers of that trip.  Back somewhere, got the bike fixed on a Sunday, rode home, then took four wheels to York early the next morning to make the tour.  The We's are rock stars :mango: .

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 01:53:17 PM »

I tried the heated gear once a long time ago, I was limited in distance traveled by the extension cords. The kept coming unpluged every 100 feet. ;D ;D
Mike
 :drink:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 01:55:50 PM »

I'd forgotten for a moment.  You guys were starting on that same trip to York.  That's when MrWe's compensator loosened up.  We caugth Mike White pulling his new N-Line at that first gas stop and listened to the blue bike go "chunkety thumpety chunkety."

You guys were the real troopers of that trip.  Back somewhere, got the bike fixed on a Sunday, rode home, then took four wheels to York early the next morning to make the tour.  The We's are rock stars :mango: .

More like we got rocks for brains.  That was a very exciting time for us.  Stuck on the side of the road, all the phone calls for help where going unheeded.  My bike set up with a solo seat, six hours from home, no HD shops open on a Sunday.  We managed to turn around, limp into Hickory HD where they fixed the bike up an hour before they were even open for business.  Let me tell you, that shop is one we try to stop at and spend money at as much as we can.  You can't buy the good will they got that day.  Great shop, we are still impressed and it has been a couple of years.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 02:04:15 PM »

Speaking of the York Tour!!! Ya ready to do it again Don? ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Sean M Cary

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 02:06:15 PM »

I believe you call that "wisdom".  :bananarock: ;D :2vrolijk_21:

Then I must be wise - way beyond my years...  I have hated the cold since I was a kid, and at "only" 40 hate it beyond description.

Was 41 degrees when I rode in this morning, forgot to charge the battery pack for my Exo2 and have not taken the time to wire in either MC yet...so no heated gear.  Froze my Florida a$$ off.  Worse part was my hands, had on leather gloves with liners and my digits were frozen.  Wearing the Thinsulate mittens tomorrow.

Wiring in the bike tonight...and searching for the gloves I want.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »

Speaking of the York Tour!!! Ya ready to do it again Don? ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

You tease but.....

The TD there has made contact about their "slow time."  Wondering if we'd like to do something in the winter.  Obviously nobody would be riding in.  He didn't define at all but said they could throw together something "special" for the fun of it.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 02:36:12 PM »

Then I must be wise - way beyond my years...  I have hated the cold since I was a kid, and at "only" 40 hate it beyond description.

Was 41 degrees when I rode in this morning, forgot to charge the battery pack for my Exo2 and have not taken the time to wire in either MC yet...so no heated gear.  Froze my Florida a$$ off.  Worse part was my hands, had on leather gloves with liners and my digits were frozen.  Wearing the Thinsulate mittens tomorrow.

Man, that's cold for your neck of the woods. THE MUFFMAN

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »

You tease but.....

The TD there has made contact about their "slow time."  Wondering if we'd like to do something in the winter.  Obviously nobody would be riding in.  He didn't define at all but said they could throw together something "special" for the fun of it.

I've ridden into York in 8 degrees before... I'd do it again.  Of course I'd only be coming from about 70 miles away.  8) I couldn't make the last one, but I'd sure love to go if we do it again.

As far as cold weather advice... Chaps and other leather makes a great wind breaker.  It's a lousy insolator.  You need mucho cotten or synthetic layers under that dead cow.  That's why I got rid of every piece of leather I owned (other then boots) and replaced it with Nylon FXRG gear for the cold weather and the Nylon Switchback coat for the warm weather.  I gotta tell ya, I rode in today in 28 degrees and didn't bother with my heated gear.  Now, it was only 25 miles.  But you get the point.  Sure, I look like a yuppie biker now and some of the "cool" guys don't wave to me anymore as they ride by in their leather and bandanas instead of helmets... Of course... I didn't see any of them this morning.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 08:53:25 PM »

Appreciate all the advice.  I've done 2 hour rides at this temp; it was the 5 hours that introduced me to a new experience.  I'll try the heated jacket and, if Santa's good to me, the gloves.  Here's to at least another six weeks of riding. 

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 10:36:24 AM »

Then I must be wise - way beyond my years...  I have hated the cold since I was a kid, and at "only" 40 hate it beyond description.

Was 41 degrees when I rode in this morning, forgot to charge the battery pack for my Exo2 and have not taken the time to wire in either MC yet...so no heated gear.  Froze my Florida a$$ off.  Worse part was my hands, had on leather gloves with liners and my digits were frozen.  Wearing the Thinsulate mittens tomorrow.

Rode to work yesterday. It was 28 when I left the house.  My hands were OK apart from frozen fingers, specially right hand (I always get cold on my right side, fingers, ears, face and arm.

Have a neck gator (made by under armor) best thing ever bought.  Covers my ears and lower half of the face and neck, very thin and warm.

I've been looking around to find Gerbing's G3 at discount but no luck. 
If you decide to get G3, let me know.  Maybe we can get a few people and get quantity discount.

Lack of money is the source of all evils.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 10:52:49 AM »

I'd avoid the gloves... They're so big and bulky they're a pain to use on anything. Gerbing makes a set of heated glove liners that are significantly cheaper and you can wear them under a medium weight glove without nearly the bulk.  They're fully compatible with the Harley line of heated gear since they make the heated gear for Harley! This link will take you to their page.

http://www.gerbing.com/index.php

I have the heated gloves but will replace them with the liners when I can afford it.  My wife has the liners and they're definetly easier.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 10:59:35 AM »

after countless miles in my gerbing gloves, they no longer feel bulky. nicely broken in to my hands and grips
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »

This is a nut from a local group out of the Red Hill shop. I guess he figures if you get numb you won't feel cold!  :confused5:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 11:34:06 AM »

Rode to work yesterday. It was 28 when I left the house.  My hands were OK apart from frozen fingers, specially right hand (I always get cold on my right side, fingers, ears, face and arm.

Have a neck gator (made by under armor) best thing ever bought.  Covers my ears and lower half of the face and neck, very thin and warm.

I've been looking around to find Gerbing's G3 at discount but no luck. 
If you decide to get G3, let me know.  Maybe we can get a few people and get quantity discount.

I can get a 15% military discount from Gerbing...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.