Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Anybody tried/seen the new Gerbing Battery Powered Gloves Yet??  (Read 14629 times)

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Anybody tried/seen the new Gerbing Battery Powered Gloves Yet??
« on: October 19, 2008, 09:30:34 AM »

Has anyone tried/seen/purchased the new Gerbing Battery Powered Gloves yet?  I ride all winter and am not much into heated gear.  I have every area figured out (without heated gear) except my hands.  Even with the heated grips, the backs get cold.  Didn't want to go the whole route of heated just to get gloves.  I see now that Gerbing is producing rechargeable battery (lithium) gloves - any one know anything about them or where a deal on them might be.  Looks like about $200 with the chargers from what I've seen so far.

thanks in advance and happy fall riding,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Anybody tried/seen the new Gerbing Battery Powered Gloves Yet??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »

Has anyone tried/seen/purchased the new Gerbing Battery Powered Gloves yet?  I ride all winter and am not much into heated gear.  I have every area figured out (without heated gear) except my hands.  Even with the heated grips, the backs get cold.  Didn't want to go the whole route of heated just to get gloves.  I see now that Gerbing is producing rechargeable battery (lithium) gloves - any one know anything about them or where a deal on them might be.  Looks like about $200 with the chargers from what I've seen so far.

thanks in advance and happy fall riding,

Blue

Been wondering the same thing myself Blue. There's an HD version too. Prolly the same gloves since Gerbing makes their gear. I've heard that the earlier ones were not as warm as the plug-ins. But these new models are supposed to be pretty good. Maybe someone has tried them? :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 04:26:58 PM »

I will have my wife check into the HD ones tommorow.  She thinks that they make one that are plug in and battery operated but shes not 100% sure.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:29:34 PM »

I will have my wife check into the HD ones tommorow.  She thinks that they make one that are plug in and battery operated but shes not 100% sure.

Cool, thanks! :2vrolijk_21:

Men's Battery Operated Heated Gloves

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for availability

100% Genuine Leather glove with waterproof, breathable Aquatex liner. Battery pocket built into gauntlet cuff. Includes battery charger. Batteries sold separately (98548-09V). Padded palms. Drawcord closure. Graphics in contrasting colors. One-year limited warranty.

98356-09VM

MSRP US $170.00

color: Black
size: S, M, L, XL, XXL, XXXL
View size chart

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Sean M Cary

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 04:33:23 PM »

100% Genuine Leather glove with waterproof, breathable Aquatex liner. Battery pocket built into gauntlet cuff. Includes battery charger. Batteries sold separately (98548-09V). Padded palms. Drawcord closure. Graphics in contrasting colors. One-year limited warranty.

98356-09VM

MSRP US $170.00

View size chart

Hoist! 8)

Batts are an extra $90 or so...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 04:43:38 PM »

98356-09VM

MSRP US $170.00

View size chart

Hoist! 8)
Coincidently I happen to be looking at Gerbing heated gear at the moment and you can get electric cheap(er) then that and don't have to worry about replacing batteries. See here - Gerbing Gloves.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 04:44:35 PM »

Batts are an extra $90 or so...

Yeah Sean, the setup's not cheap! But if it frees me from the wires, and can still do as good of a job, I'll find a way to justify it in my mind! ::) ;)

But I'd really like to know if it works well enough to spend that much on gloves though! :nixweiss: ;D

Hoist! 8)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 04:45:29 PM »

wired gloves without the jacket make no sense. need to have both hands tethered to the bike
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 04:48:16 PM »

wired gloves without the jacket make no sense. need to have both hands tethered to the bike

Not with the T'stat. ;)

Hoist! 8)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 04:52:45 PM »

how would you connect both hands to the tstat? i connect them to my jacket and my jacket to tstat

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 04:55:43 PM »

how would you connect both hands to the tstat? i connect them to my jacket and my jacket to tstat

Mine wire inside your sleeves from both gloves, then down to the belt clip mounted T'stat. The T's stat plugs ya into the battery from your belt. ;)

Hoist! 8)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 04:58:34 PM »

gotcha, just a few minutes extra to get suited up

Sean M Cary

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 05:10:23 PM »

Yeah Sean, the setup's not cheap! But if it frees me from the wires, and can still do as good of a job, I'll find a way to justify it in my mind! ::) ;)

But I'd really like to know if it works well enough to spend that much on gloves though! :nixweiss: ;D

Hoist! 8)

I have a pair dad gave me a few years back, 'lectric or something like that - took a D in each glove...horrible.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 05:23:38 PM »

98356-09VM

MSRP US $170.00

View size chart

Hoist! 8)

I dont' know how the MoCo gets away with it, but they sell you the gloves for $170 with the battery charger, but NOT the batteries!!  You have to buy the "optional" batteries for $40 a piece and of course, you need two of them, so now the gloves run you $250.  The Gerbings' sound cheaper and probably just as good, if not better.   :nixweiss:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 08:03:35 PM »

Thanks Hoist and gang.  Stopped by Battlefield Harley (Gettysburg, PA) this morning and they didn't have the lithium battery HD gloves in stock - like Hoist, I figured they were probably the same.  You can find the one's I'm interested in (known as Gerbing Core Heat Snow Gloves) at TwistedThrottle - check it out here.  http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/3865/589/  for $199 and Derby Cycles http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=8493469.50485&pid=3204&product=Gerbing&count=1   for $179.  I didn't see where the Derby one's include the charger(s) but may have missed it. 

The interesting thing about these for me is that I don't need the rest of the heated gear and I like the idea of being able to use the gloves independently whether riding or doing something else. 

If anyone has any experience with these, I, Hoist and apparently others would like to hear and/or if you know where any better deals on these are...

thanks,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2008, 07:57:51 PM »

My wife isn't home from work yet, but I was just looking at the HD website. Did anyone else notice that the batteries only last about two hours, now I'm not sure how long the batteries take to recharge, but this S#$T seems awful expensive to me to only last two hours. Speaking for myself I will keep my good ol plug in gear. I will still try and find out how warm they are.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2008, 08:57:38 PM »

I bought a couple of pair of the Gerbings last winter to use for snow skiing. My wife loved them and I was happy with them also after the first day. At first we left them on and they were dead before we stopped for liquid refreshments around noon. After that, we only turned them on when we were on the lifts, they lasted all day then and were very warm.
As for any other use, they are packed up with the rest of the ski clothes. Might take them out for ballgames next month but I can't see using them to ride in. I have the Gerbing G-3 for riding, no charging and can adjust heat beats the heck out the battery powered, plus the G-3's get a lot warmer.
If you want to try a pair before you buy, I'll be glad to send you a pair of ours to try out since Kathy tore her ACL last trip we will not be going this year. We have a mens large and a ladies small.

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2008, 11:08:26 PM »

MJZ,

Thanks for the kind offer to check them out.  There is a Gerbings dealer here locally that a lot of folks in our club have purchased Gerbings gear from.  I contacted him today and he said much what you did.  These battery powered were not made for use with motorcycles (were made for skiing, hunting, maybe ATV, etc. but not for going down the road at 60+MPH in the extreme cold).  He said he tried them himself knowing MC folks would be inquiring and he said he cranked them up, rode down the road, and the batteries full blast lasted about an hour and his hands never were toasty warm like with Gerbing MC gloves - just as you described. 

So I guess "wires" are still the way to go. 

thanks everyone for your input,

Blue

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

Recieved a direct reply from Gerbing that the Core Heat 7.4v Lithium powered gloves are not made for MCs.  Like the dealer our Hog Club deals with, she said the material will let too much air in at 60MPH to hold the heat and that the material is not made to hold up to that kind of use. 

She hinted about some new gloves that we coming out that would be rated for MCs and also be battery operated.  I did some research on the internet and found a reference to the GerbingEU site that talks about a new Hybrid Glove that will be released December 1 that can either look up to the MC battery for longer trips or for shorter trips use a protable 12v battery.  There were 269 Euros which is about $340 - so it appears they may be pretty pricey.  If anyone has any other details on the new Gerbing Hybrid gloves, please share.

Blue

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight

Recieved a direct reply from Gerbing that the Core Heat 7.4v Lithium powered gloves are not made for MCs.  Like the dealer our Hog Club deals with, she said the material will let too much air in at 60MPH to hold the heat and that the material is not made to hold up to that kind of use. 

She hinted about some new gloves that we coming out that would be rated for MCs and also be battery operated.  I did some research on the internet and found a reference to the GerbingEU site that talks about a new Hybrid Glove that will be released December 1 that can either look up to the MC battery for longer trips or for shorter trips use a protable 12v battery.  There were 269 Euros which is about $340 - so it appears they may be pretty pricey.  If anyone has any other details on the new Gerbing Hybrid gloves, please share.

Blue

Hey Blue,

A buddy of mine just bought the Gerbing battery powered gloves.  Saw him at a ride last week when it was <20 degrees and he said they kept him warm.
Funny thing...he rides a bike JUST LIKE yours LOL!!!  But he's a little off anyway...always talking about "Steak N Shake..."

Cheers!

"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 11:40:08 AM »

Of course each person is different, but I have found that if you keep your chest warm (heated vest)  & in really cold weather wear heated chaps, my hands never get cold.  Also heated gloves are really a pain in the butt.  :)
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 01:34:40 PM »

Of course each person is different, but I have found that if you keep your chest warm (heated vest)  & in really cold weather wear heated chaps, my hands never get cold.  Also heated gloves are really a pain in the butt.  :)
Seems the older you get and the more times you've damaged your hands feet with extreme cold, the worse they are for getting cold regardless of keeping your core sufficiently heated.  My feet and hands suffer more now and I'll continue to look for ways to ride comfortable in cold weather as long as I can.  Right now the toes and fingers are the major problems.  :coolblue: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »

Seems the older you get and the more times you've damaged your hands feet with extreme cold, the worse they are for getting cold regardless of keeping your core sufficiently heated.  My feet and hands suffer more now and I'll continue to look for ways to ride comfortable in cold weather as long as I can.  Right now the toes and fingers are the major problems.  :coolblue: har!  spyder
That explains it.... When I was younger cold didn't bother me... now I don't want anything to do with it. :no:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 04:57:30 PM »

That explains it.... When I was younger cold didn't bother me... now I don't want anything to do with it. :no:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

That's why all those old Yankees that keep hanging their chads, end up in south Florida. :o

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 05:30:48 PM »

That's why all those old Yankees that keep hanging their chads, end up in south Florida. :o
Good thing I started off south of the Mason/Dixon line... that's one thing I don't have to worry about being called. ;D

"Chithead" is one thing, but "Yankee Chithead" is fighting words. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 08:59:38 PM »

Thanks MontyB for the note.  That buddy of yours riding in the >20 weather needs some serious help beyond some cool hot gloves (like those new Gerbings that are MC rated that is) - what does he think he is, a Polar Bear?  Sounds like he has good taste in bikes and restaurants and undoubtedly some really great friends  ;D

Cheers,

Blue
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 21 queries.